Indie bath products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sale from Oak Street Soaps on Facebook today: Please share our shop and help spread the word about Oak Street Soap! As a thank you for sharing, enter: SoapySnowman for a Facebook Page Special of 20% OFF your order!

I like savor, Sweet Clementine, shopbelleandblaire, and TheSudsCafe :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also @@Shalott you wicked girl! Mostly I meant it smells like old lady florals on me/old lady perfume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like savor, Sweet Clementine, shopbelleandblaire, and TheSudsCafe :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also @@Shalott you wicked girl! Mostly I meant it smells like old lady florals on me/old lady perfume.
Ha ha, I love old lady perfume, so I still think you've gotten lucky. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I might have said this before but I still like Lady Grey, actually I enjoy it, but I do have to be careful I don't wear it when I am feeling particularly sensitive to smells, or it can be too much.

OT: I collect perfume and the other day I bought a Prada one and was so excited to try it (I will literally buy one without trying it because of the designer or bottle just to have it in my collection) welp, it turned old lady on me, but at the same time I smell....rich? I am just so unsure about it.

I asked my BF and he said it smelled good, but then a couple seconds later he's like yea you smell like an old lady.

It's so weird how quick a smell can change. I want to wear it and I kinda like it, but at 22 smelling like an old lady is just a turn off lol

back to topic: this is why I am so scared to spend money on indie perfumes. I will buy lotions blind, but not perfumes unless I get a sample. I love designers so I will easily splurge on them, but I am still unsure about indie perfumes.

back to topic: this is why I am so scared to spend money on indie perfumes. I will buy lotions blind, but not perfumes unless I get a sample. I love designers so I will easily splurge on them, but I am still unsure about indie perfumes.
That's why it's great that most offer sample sizes. Because indie perfumes are oil based, they can smell different on every person. So, what may work well for one person, may not work for you, and vice versa. It really is it's own rabbit hole, I say just jump in with some samples and see what you like. Solstice Scents has a very quick turnaround time and they offer two free samples for new customers. They do gourmands really well. I started with BPAL which was an interesting place to start, but some of my favorite perfumes come from SS, Darling Clandestine (which are a little weird, I wouldn't start here), and Black Violet. HoG is great just because they always have samples of their regular catalog.

That's why it's great that most offer sample sizes. Because indie perfumes are oil based, they can smell different on every person. So, what may work well for one person, may not work for you, and vice versa.
And then there's shark week, med changes, food...  There are all sorts of things that will make oils smell different *on the same person* depending on their body chemistry on a given day.

OT: I collect perfume and the other day I bought a Prada one and was so excited to try it (I will literally buy one without trying it because of the designer or bottle just to have it in my collection) welp, it turned old lady on me, but at the same time I smell....rich? I am just so unsure about it.
Ohemgee, I am super derailing the topic, but which Prada? I'm not a fan of anything in the women's line, but the men's are awesome! ~~~~  BACK ON TOPIC.

I really enjoyed the Cocoa Pink Princess Poo - but I can see why someone might not. Without any SLS there is virtually zero lather, but my hair felt so squeaky clean I was seriously impressed. I liked the Warm Mittens scent, too, but when I repurchase I will get it in my new obsession, Black Blood. Oh, and I will repurchase! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am always, always looking for a good, sulfate/pthalate/paraben free shampoo, and this was the best I've tried!

Ohemgee, I am super derailing the topic, but which Prada? I'm not a fan of anything in the women's line, but the men's are awesome! ~~~~ BACK ON TOPIC.
Prada Infusion D'irisI haven't smelled any of the men's stuff. Every time I go to the men's section Bleu de Chanel always gets me. I'm getting it for my BF for Christmas just so I can smell it all the time lol

I asked my BF and he said it smelled good, but then a couple seconds later he's like yea you smell like an old lady.

It's so weird how quick a smell can change. I want to wear it and I kinda like it, but at 22 smelling like an old lady is just a turn off lol

I'm the same way about wanting to try a sample before a full size of a perfume, BUT I am more likely to take the plunge on an indie simply because they're so much more affordable! lol. I'd rather take a blind gamble on a $15 HoG perfume than a $90 department store one, you know? And especially since there's almost sure to be someone on MUT who would buy/trade for it!

But in my limited experience so far, the indies work better on me than the brand name alcohol based perfumes. Normal florals tend to turn grandma on me easily, but not as badly with oils. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And then there's shark week, med changes, food...  There are all sorts of things that will make oils smell different *on the same person* depending on their body chemistry on a given day.
 Yes, and I'm really hoping that Parkin smells better on me on a different day...I want to love it and not smell like stale pumpkin spice potpourri!

Another question: do any of you know of any indies that do deodorants? I want to transition out of chemical deodorants and antiperspirants, and I know I like Lush's deodorants, but if I could find an indie alternative that worked I'd prefer to do that.

Another question: do any of you know of any indies that do deodorants? I want to transition out of chemical deodorants and antiperspirants, and I know I like Lush's deodorants, but if I could find an indie alternative that worked I'd prefer to do that.
Queen Bee does! I have not tried it so I can't really vouch for it, but I've had it in my cart forever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159802590/choose-scent-natural-vegetable-protein?ref=shop_home_active_7

Queen Bee does! I have not tried it so I can't really vouch for it, but I've had it in my cart forever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

https://www.etsy.com/listing/159802590/choose-scent-natural-vegetable-protein?ref=shop_home_active_7
Also Bunny Butt Apothecary

I got some Queen Bee deodorant a couple days ago in my ongoing attempt to find a safer deodorant option. It's got salicylic acid in it, so it does burn a little (I can't imagine how much it would sting after shaving) but the second time I used it it stung quite a bit less. I haven't done any major physical activity while wearing it but it lasted all day yesterday and I didn't feel unprotected. I made my (poor, long-suffering) husband smell me last night and he said I smelled faintly of deodorant but that was all. It definitely worked well enough that I'm willing to risk wearing it to work tomorrow.

Uhoh.  Haus of Gloi Valentine's Day update will attack on the 25th!

Hey everyone! Our Valentines release is going to be short and sweet this year. There are a few formula changes on some returning scents and we've got two new scents we're adding to the lineup. Risque is less sharp and much more smooth of a scent this year. We're using a softer leather note and have dropped the agarwood attar in place of a lovely warm amber incense note. First Blush is our newest scent and it's a lovely fresh spring scent. There's another new blend as well, but I think I'll let that be a surprise as you read on!

Who Needs Love
A mahogany box filled with chocolaty orbs, coated in crystallized coffee, filled with a pomegranate and raspberry filling. (Bubbling scrub, Emulsifying scrub, Pumpkin butter, Whipped soap, Perfume oil, Hair oil)

Odette
Clean sun dried linens, tuberose, ginger lily and white musk.
(Bubbling scrub, Emulsifying scrub, Pumpkin butter, Whipped soap, Perfume oil, Hair oil)

First Blush
Tahitian vanilla bean, white tea, lavender and peach.
(Bubbling scrub, Emulsifying scrub, Pumpkin butter, Whipped soap, Perfume oil, Hair oil)

Cozy Rose
Cozy Sweater and our Rose City blended together harmoniously.

Risque
A leather whip, red musk, cast aside roses and an intoxicating touch of amber incense.
(Pumpkin butter, Whipped soap, Perfume oil, Hair oil)

Come Hither
Based off of traditional herbs and roots used in Hoodoo to draw and attract a lover, or entice the one you've already ensnared! Bourbon vanilla, tonka bean, a touch of rose oil, Queen Elizabeth (orris) root, saffron and a touch of honey to sweeten the whole deal.
(Pumpkin butter, Perfume oil, Hair oil)

BUTTERBOMBS
[SIZE=11pt]   [/SIZE]
Milk & Carnation
[SIZE=12pt]A blend of soft milk and carnations.[/SIZE]

Pink Champagne
Bubbly champagne with strawberries and pink grapefruit.

Hot Wax
Warm sweet beeswax.

Lavender Forest
A blend of Bulgarian lavender, scots pine, amyris and frankincense.

[SIZE=14pt]LIP BALMS[/SIZE]
Red Velvet Cake
Pink Champagne
Cocoa Rose
Vanilla Cherry

I was SO hoping I wouldn't want anything from this HoG collection, but there are at least 4 scents that sound really appealing. AND RED VELVET CAKE LIP BALM. 

Back