Is ID Bare Minerals the best mineral makeup? Or is all just hype?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you guys, what about all those chicks who love Bare Minerals. I have read quite a few reviews of ladies that think BM is awesome.

Oh, and that blond girl on the infomercial, the writer Nadine Haobsh (Jolie), she digs it the most.

She is an actual writer, but I heard she also got fired from a magazine she was working for. But she has posted some pictures of herself and her two friends wearing Bare Minerals on her web-site-

Jolie Nadine Bare Minerals, and she looks pretty good, a little too shiny, but not bad.

But she is only 28, and she doesn't have wrinkles or large pores from what I can see.

She says that she wasn't paid for her appearance on the Bare Minerals infomercial, but it occurred to me that maybe in way she was paid. Because they kind of give her free advertising for her book "Beauty Confidential". I actually never heard of her until I saw her on the Bare Minerals infomercial.

I don't know, maybe she really does love the product.

Any who, I just wanted to share that for some odd reason.

A lot of women really love BE foundation. Their eye shadows and lip items are very good. There are many other equally good company's out there online with more economical pricing but to respond to the question of BE being the best - I wouldn't say the best at all but I would say that for many women it is an excellent natural makeup.

IME, the people who LOOOOVE BE/Bare Minerals tend to be the ones who have not tried any other real MMU companies. There *are* exceptions, as you'll find right here in this thread....but for the most part, the people who rave about BE are people who switched from conventional makeup to BE. They haven't tried purer brands, less expensive brands, brands with more color choices, etc.

Obviously, a lot of people like BE, or they wouldn't be as popular as they are. Look at Raw Minerals - you can pour tons of money into advertising, but if your product is crap, or you have a sales program that pisses people off, you're not going to do as well. BE happens to have a product that works for a lot of people, and also charges enough for their product to pay for their massive advertising campaigns.

Here on MMUT, however, you'll be more likely to find supporters of smaller companies - ones that we have found to have better products, and better prices (because we aren't having to pay for ridiculous amounts of advertising.)

So yeah, you can spend the cash on BE, and run the risk of not finding a match, reacting to the bismuth, or discovering that you don't care for the sparkly look (or you may love it). Or you can shop around for some samples from smaller companies, and get the same results as you would with BE, only for less, and probably in a better color for you
smile.gif

My personal picks for sampling: Joppa, Signature Minerals, Cory Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals (and get their synthetic flat-top foundation brush!)

Originally Posted by mgmsrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif Fataliya,
Silk Naturals just cloned BE Clear Radiance.

Here is the link.

Silk Naturals

OHHHHHH, THANKS!!!!
I'm on a no buy until we're moved and settled in Florida, but I'm definitely bookmarking that!!

Also remember...as many women there are that LOOOVE BE, there could be just as many, if not more, that DON'T like it.

I love EDM, but not everyone does. I would get some samples from several companies, and find out what you like. Don't go by what the infomercials say. After all, they're not going to film ladies that tried it and don't like it.

I know that everything you guys wrote is true. I know it in my heart.

That girl who posted her pictures wearing BM looks shiny, and I have to say, that doesn't look natural to me. A little glow is nice, but not a face that looks like you greased it up or like you can see your reflection in it.

And I know that everyone complains about the Bismuth Oxycloride (is that the correct spelling) stuff.

Oh, and in my gut I know something is fishy, because when I called BM customer service and asked for a catalog, the representative asked me what my skin issues are and I told her that I thought that I have large pores and she actually told me that BM would actually (literally) shrink my pores! What? I don't even think that is possible.

Everything I have read on skin says that pores can't be shrunk.

So I guess that the representatives will say just about anything to get you to buy the products.

I am just struggling with all those rave reviews of BM.

I so desperately want to find the right thing for my skin, and I don't want it to be difficult task.

Searching for the right shade, the right formula, the right brand. Dang!

I just want it to be easy.

And Bare Escentuals is tempting because they make it sound so easy on the infomercial's.

But, I have ordered some samples and some brushes from Everyday Minerals.

I am praying that I will magically find my perfect match really easy, cause I am extremely lazy yo.

But I am kind of desperate right now, my skin is having a bad reaction to everything I put on it, everything, including moisturizer.

I have dry skin, but I am breaking out, my skin is kind of sensitive too.

I don't know if it was because I was trying that Oil Cleansing Method thing or what.

No, because I think that is why I tried the OCM in the first place.

Really?

I read all this good stuff about it, and I decided that I should try it.

I think it actually helped the first few days that I did it, but then I started have problems. But, it is hard to tell if it was the OCM because I was having problems before that. It's kind of is a pain in the butt to do the OCM anyway, but I like the idea of a natural cleansing method without all the soap and detergents. My skin is too sensitive and dry for all that stuff.

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif IME, the people who LOOOOVE BE/Bare Minerals tend to be the ones who have not tried any other real MMU companies. There *are* exceptions, as you'll find right here in this thread....but for the most part, the people who rave about BE are people who switched from conventional makeup to BE. They haven't tried purer brands, less expensive brands, brands with more color choices, etc.
Obviously, a lot of people like BE, or they wouldn't be as popular as they are. Look at Raw Minerals - you can pour tons of money into advertising, but if your product is crap, or you have a sales program that pisses people off, you're not going to do as well. BE happens to have a product that works for a lot of people, and also charges enough for their product to pay for their massive advertising campaigns.

Here on MMUT, however, you'll be more likely to find supporters of smaller companies - ones that we have found to have better products, and better prices (because we aren't having to pay for ridiculous amounts of advertising.)

So yeah, you can spend the cash on BE, and run the risk of not finding a match, reacting to the bismuth, or discovering that you don't care for the sparkly look (or you may love it). Or you can shop around for some samples from smaller companies, and get the same results as you would with BE, only for less, and probably in a better color for you
smile.gif

My personal picks for sampling: Joppa, Signature Minerals, Cory Cosmetics, Everyday Minerals (and get their synthetic flat-top foundation brush!)

Well said! The smaller companies do not spend huge amounts of money on advertising which is passed on to the consumer. I think for many of us BE was the first MMU tried and we then moved on to other brands. You can only say, with absolute certainty, that BE is the best MMU if you have something to compare it to.

Originally Posted by Stellaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif IME, the people who LOOOOVE BE/Bare Minerals tend to be the ones who have not tried any other real MMU companies. There *are* exceptions, as you'll find right here in this thread....but for the most part, the people who rave about BE are people who switched from conventional makeup to BE. They haven't tried purer brands, less expensive brands, brands with more color choices, etc.

smile.gif

Well, like I said in my previous post, I have tried and sampled lots of other MMU companies. I still love BE the best.

Kim

Originally Posted by kmcelroy66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, like I said in my previous post, I have tried and sampled lots of other MMU companies. I still love BE the best.
Kim

Hi Kim.I am still curious about BE. I am just wondering what it is about BE that you love? What skin type are you, what age and so on?

Because I know that different skin types, and ages, have different results.

Since you have tried other products, what makes BE your favorite?

What other brands have you tried and why don't you like them?

Thank you.

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Kim.I am still curious about BE. I am just wondering what it is about BE that you love? What skin type are you, what age and so on?

Because I know that different skin types, and ages, have different results.

Since you have tried other products, what makes BE your favorite?

What other brands have you tried and why don't you like them?

Thank you.

Hi,Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been distracted. I have very oily skin and I am 42 years young. Here is what I have tried before I went back to BE because it performed the best for me.

EDM - dry, powdery, turned orange after a couple of hours, broke me out

Ocean Mist -dry, powdery, showed fine lines, itchy

Lumiere - couldn't get to blend right, itchy

Alima - made my face look like it was peeling, itched like crazy

MAD - couldn't find a good shade

Aromeleigh - was pretty good actually, but no shade match

Meow - made me break out

Lure - turned orange

And most of the drug store brands, which were irritating and really orange on me, dry & cakey looking.

With BE, I do not break out, do not itch, and I get a good color match with the Bisque (use instead of their foundation). I apply after primer with a flat head brush and spritz with MAC Fix+ spray. The mineral veil is awesome too.

Now, mind you, everyone is not the same. You really should try samples of others before you jump in and buy BE. You might find one perfect for you that is cheaper. But like I said, for me, BE was the best one of the ones that I have tried.

HTH,

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

Thanks Kim.

I really appreciate it.

I have just sent for some samples and a long handled kabuki and a concealer brush from Everyday Minerals.

I have tried physicians formula, but it wasn't really that great.

I am not too impressed with the looks of some of the other mineral makeup web-sites I have visited. Some of them look kind of shifty. Well, maybe shifty is a little strong, I really mean they don't look very professional.

Some of the company's like Joppa, Alima, and Meow, look professional enough, but are very frustrating in the way they are set up. I don't have enough patients to wait for Alima's 1,000 shades of foundation to download on my computer. Joppa and Meow were just confusing to me.

I have kind of dry skin, so I am not looking for anything even remotely matt or drying.

I really want something that gives me a glowy dewiness.

I really wish that Bare Minerals would sell sample kits. But, when I contacted customer service to ask if they did, I was told that the $60.00 infomercial kit is the sample kit.

Wha??

Isn't that crazy!!

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Kim.I really appreciate it.

I have just sent for some samples and a long handled kabuki and a concealer brush from Everyday Minerals.

I am not too impressed with the looks of some of the other mineral makeup web-sites I have visited. Some of them look kind of shifty. Well, maybe shifty is a little strong, I really mean they don't look very professional.

Some of the company's like Joppa, Alima, and Meow, look professional enough, but are very frustrating in the way they are set up. I don't have enough patients to wait for Alima's 1,000 shades of foundation to download on my computer. Joppa and Meow were just confusing to me.

I have kind of dry skin, so I am not looking for anything even remotely matt or drying.

I really wish that Bare Minerals would sell sample kits. But, when I contacted customer service to ask if they did, I was told that the $60.00 infomercial kit is the sample kit.

Wha??

Isn't that crazy!!

What shade do you think you are? Are you a cool, warm or neutral tone? I have several shades of BE foundation that I could send you samples of if you wish. BE will definitely give you a glowy look.
Let me know, it is up to you.

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Kim.I really appreciate it.

Wha??

Isn't that crazy!!

I got an email from Sephora that they were giving free samples of BE with a tiny brush and I noticed that Ulta had the same offer. It would be a good way to try it.

Originally Posted by kmcelroy66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif What shade do you think you are? Are you a cool, warm or neutral tone? I have several shades of BE foundation that I could send you samples of if you wish. BE will definitely give you a glowy look.
Let me know, it is up to you.

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

Thank you. That is so nice of you to offer. But I wouldn't want you to go to a lot of trouble. But, yes, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would appreciate that very much. Just PM me and tell me what you need to know. And I will PM you back and give you my info, address and whatnot.I don't know exactly what shade I am, but I am fair, and I am pretty sure I have a yellowish tone to my skin. My best guess would be I am neutral.

But I know I have fair skin, and I know I can detect some yellow in my skin, but I am pretty sure that I am not warm or yellow yellow, because warm and super yellowish foundation doesn't look quite right on me. And the veins on the back of my wrist look blue to me. But I don't look exactly cool to either. It is a little hard for me to determine my exact skin tone.

Is there an easy way of determining your skin tone?

I have tried to follow those little guideline things, like the wrist vein color thing, and the gold or silver jewelry thing, but I still can't tell.

Originally Posted by AliciaT /img/forum/go_quote.gif I got an email from Sephora that they were giving free samples of BE with a tiny brush and I noticed that Ulta had the same offer. It would be a good way to try it. Hi AliciaT. Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have Sephora or Ulta near my home.

I really wish I did. I would go right down there and try to get a sample.

Hi Kim.

Okay, not to be presumptuous, but I tried to PM you and give you my address. But I got a message saying I couldn't PM you because I haven't posted enough to be able to Personal Message yet.

So, I guess, just let me know if you still want to do that and I will give you my information.

Again, I don't want to be presumptuous, I totally understand if you changed your mind.

But just in case, here is my email address: I took my email down because I started to worry about spammers getting a hold of it. I started getting alot of weird emails and thought it might be the reason. I don't know if it is the reason, maybe that is just silly. Anywho, just let me know (in this thread)if you need it.

Thank you.

I am so sorry, I have been so preoccupied with family issues. I am out of state right now. I actually stay logged in unless I clear my browser cache, so it says I am online all the time LOL. It is just easier than signing back in every time. Anyway, I will be back home next week and I will email you so you can give me your info so I can send you some BE. Is that ok with you?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

I like Bare Escentuals for introducing me to the MMU world and the $60 kit is such a deal, and I love that little buki brush (I think that's what it's called).

I later got tired of being ORANGE when I was clearly more yellow than I was orange. I like to try things spot on and though you can get MMU samples online, I don't like waiting LoL I'm very impatient.

So I was looking at Urban Decay's MMU cuz a friend of mine is gaga over it and I saw that they had yellow tones! Yeah yeah it's $29, but I get it then and now! And if you add up the charge of shipping for some MMU stores online, it adds up to about the same, for some.

FIRST OFF, waaaay better coverage than Bare Escentuals, more colors and tones to choose from, AND I have super oily skin which Urban Decay's MMU can handle. I was sweaty yesterday and my face was still in tact! I have acne and none of it was showing through, even after sweating. Also, B.E. MMU bunched up in the crevices of the side of my nose...Urban Decay MMU doesn't do that. W/B.E. you can tell you're wearing make up, w/Urban Decay...not so much. I can say that I am a FAN!

(I apply it w/BE buki brush)

Originally Posted by kmcelroy66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am so sorry, I have been so preoccupied with family issues. I am out of state right now. I actually stay logged in unless I clear my browser cache, so it says I am online all the time LOL. It is just easier than signing back in every time. Anyway, I will be back home next week and I will email you so you can give me your info so I can send you some BE. Is that ok with you?
Thanks and have a great weekend!

Kim
rocknroll2.gif

Yes, that is ok with me. I truely appreciate it.

Thank you.

I want to like BE but I just don't. The fact that the MUA at Sephora chose a way too dark color (making me look like an fake tan/burnt orange) not withstanding, I still succumb to their marketing ploys occassionally. heh.

I bought a blush kit they put out a while back and regretted it as soon as I tried it. It was a blush and an all over face color. The blush was like a cherry red and the face color was all sparkle. Oh talk about buyers remorse....

But their packaging is very appealing and I have to fight the urge to try the kits, realizing that the package may be pretty but I just don't like their ingredients.

Back