Is ID Bare Minerals the best mineral makeup? Or is all just hype?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I've been useing Bare Minerals products for 2-3 years now. I bought the starter kit with 2 foundations, a bronzer, a mineral veil, a kind of concealer and 3 brushes in it. On the commertials it looks like it will give you a flawless look but it doesn't cover much at all.. It makes you look natural though. But it doesn't cover dark circles, minimize pores or even out skintone. When I apply it I use the full flawless face brush that came with the kit and I press it in circular motions all over my face, it kind of scratches your face and I wouldn't use it if I had dry skin. Thats my experience with these products. Hope you found it helpful :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bare minerals not the best just most marketed. Now everything is about money. If you have money to invest in marketing - then product famous and people know about it, if not, no matter how good it is - no money - no big magazine articles...

They are the best mineral makeup company out there as far as quality and results. Once you find your shade, youll fall in love like I did.

I think, honestly, it just depends on what works for you.  I wore BE every day for years, and then found other brands I liked better.  But that doesn't mean that BE isn't any good.

I honestly cannot recommend Bare Minerals to anyone. I had many clients (with a BE store being next door to my shop) who complained of cystic acne and skin irritations. We looked at mica allergies as being a big issue for some. Mica can cause tiny micro tears in the skin or become lodged in pores. Most makeup uses mica, but I am looking into brands with rice and clay instead.

Yeah, I know mica allergies are a BIG complaint from people who didn't like BE.  It surprises me that they haven't taken it out of their foundations by now - I've been hearing people complain about that for years now.

I've used it for 7-8 years, I loved it. But I have noticed that its starting to make me breakout now. Not sure if they've changed they're formula or not but I don't like it as much anymore.
sadno.gif

Originally Posted by LisaF1163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think, honestly, it just depends on what works for you.  I wore BE every day for years, and then found other brands I liked better.  But that doesn't mean that BE isn't any good.
What other mineral brands did you find worth mentioning? 

I've tried Almay, Mary Kay, Avon and L'Oreal's mineral makeup lines before because I couldn't afford bare minerals... finally I found out Ulta has a $20 kit to try it for 30 days... I am so in love!  I threw all the other ones out!  I HATE the "matte" foundation but love original... I also like mineral veil and concealer... haven't tried warmth or any of the other finishing powders but I think you should really try it!  It feels much lighter on my face and the powder doesn't dry my skin at all!

I would definitely try some of the Indie brands before you settle on one, you might be surprised. Smaller makers tend to use better quality ingredient and produce smaller batches. That adds up to better results and quality control. 

I used BE for about a year until the itching problem got to be too much. The minute the weather turned hot it started.

The other thing I began to notice was that my skin actually looked older and more "crepey" in bright daylight with the makeup on than it did bare. That was was a huge downer and a good reason to switch. I believe that was also a side effect of the BO that they add to their blend.

I wonder if they still manufacture their foundation with this ingredient. That would be some bad marketing, given how many customers have had terrible reactions to it.

Originally Posted by EASYbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What other mineral brands did you find worth mentioning? 
Sorry, I haven't been back here in months!  But to answer your question, there are a ton of indie brands out there to try.  I love Meow, Alima Pure and Aromaleigh.  All really good brands, much cheaper, less irritating ingredients, etc.  I like them much better than Bare Minerals.

I have made the switch to Younique's Mineral Makeup Line. I am just in love with the products. Prices are affordable and the jar sizes are larger. If you are a smart shopper I recommend purchasing the Presenters Kit you get sample size 1gram jars but you get all 30 pigments and there primer and face brushes are included in there august promo which is a steal.

Here is a link https://www.youniqueproducts.com/vancouver/

I love mineral makeup for so many reasons - I am fair-skinned with problem areas and every foundation I have ever tried (except Ulta II when I was in high school, which is no longer sold in the US) would look too heavy and just accentuate my problems. But the first time I tried BE, it did not work for me, so I got scared off. But, I was home one night flipping channels and saw those infomercials for airbrush makeup that is mineral-based. I was intrigued, so I started doing some research. I wasn't going to get one because it was too expensive, but then I saw a really cool sale and it was like it was meant to be.

So now I use airbrush makeup that is mineral-based and doesn't make my skin break out and even has a shade light enough for me (I am so pale I can't white or I would look like a ghost). I can't use mineral eyeshadows because my eyes are too sensitive, but I love my makeup.

I like BareMinerals, but I haven't tried much more. I have repurchased a few times. Physcians Formula has a mineral line, and I've tried one product from it and liked it more than the BM foundation. I'm using the PF right now, but I do use BareMinerals concealer still. I think after I run out of PF I'll branch out into some other mineral lines.

My favorite mineral foundation is by the indie company The All Natural Face.  Great selection of colors, reasonably priced, and you can get sampler packets of the foundation which helped me determine the best color match. 

I have severe combination skin and some texture problems (small patches of ice pick scars and large pores) and Bare Escentuals was ok but I had a color matching issue (olive complexion) and end up just giving my kit to a friend. I have also recently purchased their newer pressed formula in the shade recommended by the technician and I may have gotten a defective product, I don't know but i swear it was banana yellow. I should have returned it but I kept it as a highlighting powder. :-/ My favorite mineral foundations are: 1. Loreal True Match Naturale, its the perfect match all year around med/full coverage and SPF 19 I've loved it for nearly 7 years now and it really is my holy grail mineral foundation. It retails for about 15$ 2. Avon smooth minerals (loose powder) again I have a color match issue with this product but I can work around it during the winter months, this stuff is super smooth and has a really nice finish, med coverage and retails for about 11$ 3. Pur Minerals pressed powder, it's a good color match, good coverage, no mess but difficult to apply because its so dry and compacted. Retails for about 27$

I have been a devoted Bare Minerals/Escentuals user for many years and I was pleased with the products because I have sensitive skin. In the summer leading up to my wedding I noticed I was breaking out regularly though and I was dissatisfied. A friend of mine had begun selling Younique products and asked me to give them a try. Within a week my face had cleared up and felt softer than ever. My little brother even said my skin was glowing! Blew my mind! I have since made the full switch to Younique and have become a Presenter as well! If you ask me, Younique wins hands down! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

~Amanda

Back