Is ID Bare Minerals the best mineral makeup? Or is all just hype?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a pan of the BM Ready Foundation last October by a friend, but unfortunately the shade (Fair) was too light for me. At that time I was using a few different liquid foundations and the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream was my go to foundation. I had tried a NYX powder foundation and liked it, but my skin was getting paler (cold weather) and it was no longer a match. For a while I just muddled through and then one day I just decided to try the BM Ready Foundation again at the beginning of April of this year. I went to the store, explained that I had Fair but it seemed too light, and let the lady match me. I ended up being Fairly Medium.

At first this kind of threw me because the powder looked too dark in the pan and I have not been a medium since I started buying makeup, always a light, ivory, or fair. But it was a perfect match. I took it home to compare it to the Fair and it really was just a bit less pale.

For me, it started a little fussy to apply. It was settling in my expression lines throughout the day and just looked a bit off. I tried primers I had. Not much better, then I tried the Bare Minerals primer which was better. The girl at Ulta mentioned that she had noticed that BM foundation do seem to work better with their primer for some reason. And it worked well until it started to get hot here (which was probably some time in June if I remember right). I think it was more a matter of my skin changing a bit and possibly due to my change in skin care to a more natural approach. Then I noticed it was looking a little "off" again. Not in the shade, but just off a bit. So I looked into how I was applying it and watched the videos on the BM website. Applying it in one of the ways they show with similar brushes really did help. But also I switched to using my coconut oil moisturizer as a primer, applying it several minutes before so it has time to absorb. That worked well, until it started to cool off, and now I am back to the primer.

I mention all of this because had I just jumped in with a shade I thought matched and applied the way I normally applied powder, I probably would have ditched it long ago. But for now, as long as I take the time to do it right (or apply very lightly if I am in a hurry), it is a good foundation for me. I do not consider it my HG foundation, but certainly good. I have not had any reactions, but I also do not have sensitive skin.

I have been using bareminerals for 6 years and I still love it. I like that it makes me look natural, not caked on and fake like many other products. I do have to use their liquid concealer to cover blemishes enough and the well rested in the power form works great for under eye circles.

I'd say it's the mineral makeup with the largest marketing budget! LoL

Whether or not it's the best for you is subjective....

I recommend everyone try various formulas from various companies and find what works best for them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back