January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooo I bought a bitsy from Darling Clandestine, it is LE though so it doesn't count. Buuuut, I also threw in a lip balm bc she took them off the site FOREVER and I didn't want churro lip balm to disappear again. Plus, I had 20% off from a leaky bottle I got pre-no-buy. 

I also bought stuff from Hello Waffle today. It was mainly discontinued stuff that was disappearing on Jan 31 + some stuff for a thank you gift :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Annnd again, 20% off! 

Other than that, I have stayed strong and closed mega carts! 

@ How about June 1st? That would be easier to keep track of, to do two a year, once every 6 months.

I would like it to become a  MUT "thing", like the secret exchanges twice a year. Of course getting things for your giftee only would not count, so it wouldn't interfere with gift exchanges.
What are the secret exchanges you mentioned? Sounds fun!

What are the secret exchanges you mentioned? Sounds fun!
@@Natasha01 the winter one is Secret Santa and there were two over last summer (which will be consolidated to one this year):  Midsummer Exchange (with Fairy Godmothers) and SummerSwap (I think they were Roadies?  I didn't actually do that one).  They really are a lot of fun!

I am late to this but I really need to be on a no-buy this year.  I lost my job at the end of last year and had a baby so money is super tight.  I haven't bought anything this year so far so I will jump in if that's okay?  

My Rules:

1.  I can keep one Birchbox and the NM VC sub that I have, I must cancel all other subs.

2.  No buying any make-up, body, or skincare items with exceptions for things like deodorant or shampoo if I run out.

3.  Items bought with points or giftcards are okay.  Swaps and exchanges are okay but I must stay within $5 of the budget.

That's all I can think of for now but I may add something later if a situation arises.  

Thank you for creating this forum!  It can be hard to stick to a no-buy without help.  

I am late to this but I really need to be on a no-buy this year.  I lost my job at the end of last year and had a baby so money is super tight.  I haven't bought anything this year so far so I will jump in if that's okay?  

My Rules:

1.  I can keep one Birchbox and the NM VC sub that I have, I must cancel all other subs.

2.  No buying any make-up, body, or skincare items with exceptions for things like deodorant or shampoo if I run out.

3.  Items bought with points or giftcards are okay.  Swaps and exchanges are okay but I must stay within $5 of the budget.

That's all I can think of for now but I may add something later if a situation arises.  

Thank you for creating this forum!  It can be hard to stick to a no-buy without help.  
Welcome!  Always a good time to jump in!  Best of luck to you with the no buy (job hunting, if you begin looking) and new baby!  We have lots of fun sub threads such as a thread where the 100 days is broken into 10 day chunks so 1-10 and 11-20 so far, a 100 empties in 100 day thread and a slumber party thread!

Welcome to the no buy party!

I've been thinking of doing a second 100 day beginning on May 1st. That gives a break between the two, and would allow a slew of new people to join up without being so late. What do y'all think?
I love love love the idea of a second 100 day no-buy. :luv:    I've been thinking that most of my beauty purchases after this current no-buy will be during 15% off at Sephora in April, so by then I'll be ready to go back on a no-buy until around November, when good sales start again! Either May or June work for me... whatever you guys choose will be awesome.

June sounds perfect!  That should take us right through the summer, ending in early Sept (I think?  Someone help me count) which is right in time for the holidays.  And we all know ain't nobody got time for a no-buy during the holidays!
Good point, plus that's when all the good deals are so it's smart to buy then anyway. Hmm, let me see. if it starts on May 1st, it ends on August 9. If it starts on June 1st, it ends September 9. (I used this handy little website to add days to calculate a date.)

I'm thrilled you guys are thinking of doing another no buy for summer, because I am loving this one so much. It has brought me such peace, joy, and motivation. I will join whenever it happens.
Me too! I'm so glad we're going to do another one, but with a break in between. I think it's going to be really good because we can kind of reward ourselves with things we need, and you know after that the purchases will be things you really will use, since you  had to go through so much other junk you had previously bought.... and then we go back into it and it'll help us stick to this as a lifestyle change and not just a no buy. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

I started a general rewards thread yesterday afternoon. Link: https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/135529-no-buy-rewards/

I'm not interested in a separate reward thread for every ten days. I don't think it make sense, especially since several people are doing a reward of $1/day towards a big reward at the end.
I agree, just one thread for the rewards is great!

still no beauty purchases for me! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (and the sorel boots are sooo worth it! i'm glad to be able to free up some money (from not buying makeup) for more sensible things that i need.)
Good for you!!!! I have a pair of Sorel boots too, and I love them! They are waterproof, cute as pie, comfortable, and resilient!

--

Just wanted to say I'm really glad you started this @@Kristine Walker and you are awesome!

Also, to anyone who wants to join but is hesitant because it's already started, just jump on in! Hey, if you start today, you can still do 100 days of no-buy if you go to April 25th. Or if you end on the same day as the rest of us, you'll still be doing a 85 day no-buy, which is still really awesome!

Just a quick update:

Still holding strong on the no purchases other than required restocks. (Also, kind of handy to use coupons to pick up other restocks like eye cream where I'm less loyal to a particular product!) I think eradicating all of the promotional emails helped me a lot but I also have little interest now that I'm in this mindset. If only I can transfer this to other areas of my life that need improvement! 

I still haven't decided on a specific reward for this; I think cleaning out my stash may be a reward in itself? It feels so nice to toss the empties. I admit once I finish a preferred product I'll delve into the samples/deluxe sizes so I can clear them out more quickly. 

And to everyone who's thinking of joining this group - it is never to late! I think we're all keeping track for ourselves so you can start whenever you like!

@@eastofthesun do you mind if I borrow your signature?  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I forget if I posted in this one when it first came up. I'm doing a one year project pan/ no buy/low buy. 

I had bought more than I was allowed the first week on January because I went to outlets and...well. I know I made a mistake of going. 

However, I didn't let that get me down and just give up. To make sure I try and keep up with my goals and such, I uploaded my Project Pan video today. So, I have accountability. I also plan to have my 'goals' video put up so that keeps me motivated. 

I have been using my project pan items. I'm happy with that. The hard part will be not buying anything and sticking to my guns. My main problem is if I don't buy something of makeup my mind tends to try to compensate by spending the same amount I would on makeup on something like movies or snacks. So, I need to control myself. 

I made a small buy yesterday on soda and today I bought one snack but I didn't spend more than 15.00 total. So, I'm alright with that. My goal is to just keep up with everything. Pay off my bills and also read more. That's something I want to do this year. 50 books. How is everyone elses progress going? 

I'm also thinking about making a post on my 'One year no buy/project pan' if anyone would be interested.

I think I have adopted a new mindset for the time being:  The feeling I will have at the end of my successful 100 day no-buy experience will be far better than the feeling I will have if I end up buying any makeup or unnecessary beauty items between now and April 10, 2015.
Excellent! I'm already getting some of that sensation. It's the reverse of how it used to be. Now I look at the stash and get overwhelmed that I have so many products to use up and I'm really pleased when I have empties. 

Excellent! I'm already getting some of that sensation. It's the reverse of how it used to be. Now I look at the stash and get overwhelmed that I have so many products to use up and I'm really pleased when I have empties. 
Empties definitely excite me now!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back