January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knowing that your vision is stable and your eyes are healthy isn't nothing. Preventative/routine appointments like that always make me feel like I'm being a responsible adult and taking care of myself. Good job!
Hah, great point! I must have sounded like an idiot! I guess I don't know that much about ophamologists. I mean, I knew they check your vision and can determine if you have glaucoma, but other than that I had no idea! You're right, it is really good to know my vision is stable!

I agree with @@TooMuchElectric . The sticker shock hurts, but it wasn't for nothing and it's good to be on top of your vision, especially as you had had doubts. I imagine they also checked the general health of your eye, which is important. 
Thanks, that makes the sticker shock feel a lot less awful.

You should look on groupon and livingsocial for vision/glasses deals. 
Great idea! I use groupon already, might as well use it for eyeglasses too!

This.  Granted, I've needed corrective lenses since I was 5 (now I'm 37), plus I've had eye surgeries three times to correct a muscle imbalance.  So I feel kind of funny if I go too long *without* seeing the eye doctor.
Oh wow, I guess I should start going yearly. Honestly, I hadn't been since 2010, so it's probably really good that I finally went in! I shouldn't complain!

Yes!  Having yearly eye exams is important.  I worked in an optometrist's office for 8 years.  They can diagnose diabetes and high blood pressure just from looking at your eye!  Oh and high cholesterol.  Eye exams are important and so are sunglasses!

@@eastofthesun If you can upgrade your lenses to polarized.  They cost more but they reduce glare and protect your eyes.  I honestly believe the reason people think I am 10 years younger than I am is because I wear sunglasses!

Sunglasses keep you from getting wrinkles and macular degeneration.  

OK sorry y'all PSA over.  But for real wear sunglasses.  Every day.
I had no idea they could check that much about your health through your eyes! Amazing! Don't worry about the PSA, I loved it! I'm definitely getting polarized lenses in my sunglasses. I want all the protection I can get. I'm going to wear them all the time when driving (except at night) and when I'm out and about during the day as well! I'm excited!

I went to Warby Parker online and ordered myself a free try-at-home kit of 5 frames. They take your credit card information in case they don't get them back, because you have to send them back. But you can choose 5 frames and it's a fun way to still get a package in the mail but not spend money.

I had no idea they could check that much about your health through your eyes! Amazing! Don't worry about the PSA, I loved it! I'm definitely getting polarized lenses in my sunglasses. I want all the protection I can get. I'm going to wear them all the time when driving (except at night) and when I'm out and about during the day as well! I'm excited!

I went to Warby Parker online and ordered myself a free try-at-home kit of 5 frames. They take your credit card information in case they don't get them back, because you have to send them back. But you can choose 5 frames and it's a fun way to still get a package in the mail but not spend money.
Warby Parker is great; I ended up getting my last two pairs of glasses from them because I didn't have vision coverage and there was a Gilt City deal. 

I'm a strong believer in wearing sunglasses as well. 

As for sunglasses - I invest in them. I am not the type of person to sit on them or lose them so I know that even if I spend $200-300 on a pair they're going to last me many years. Some companies also have lifetime warranties. I had a pair of Smith Optics sunglasses that I bought 8 years ago for outdoorsy things and last year realized the coating was peeling a little at the very edge of the lens; I sent them in and they said the problem was covered under the warranty. I upgraded to a slightly more expensive pair so I paid $40 (for the cost difference) and ended up with a brand new pair of sunglasses.  

I'm at the point in my life where each season I budget for a new pair of sunglasses (classic shapes like aviators, wayfarers, etc.) to slowly build my collection. Polarized are best because it eliminates so much glare! 

Quick update on my low-buy status:

1. Still no makeup purchases and although my tinted moisturizer is running low so I'll need to replace it I'm not worried it will trigger me to add anything more to the order. (Of course it's convenient that I rouged so I don't have to meet any minimum for free shipping.) 
  2. It's odd but I've become pretty disinterested in acquiring new things since starting this and have even become really discriminating when it comes to swaps. Unless it's an item I need and am planning to use then I have no interest.   
  3. I did order a book from Amazon but I realized I didn't include books (or entertainment) in my no-buy list. Since buying too many books/films was never a real problem I'm not going to worry about it. 
  4. I'm also relieved when I get home each day and there aren't a bunch of boxes to sort through. 

Well thank goodness it hasn't started yet because I already fell off the wagon. And I thought I was going to be so great... :unsure:

I was at Nordstrom rack and found a kit with the full-size Smashbox primer that I love for only $15 and I had to buy it. I had a gift card so I didn't actually spend any money on it, and I don't own any full size primers just a couple of travel sized, but I still feel pretty bad about buying it (even though I know it was a good deal and I kind of needed it).
I went on a lifestyle change/diet, and would feel guilty whenever I binged or went off my diet. Then I realized I was adding insult to injury. Now if I fall off the wagon I ask myself if I can undo it. If I can't I absolutely refuse to feel guilty . I just enjoy my transgression and promise myself to do better in the future. No more guilt!

still haven't made ANY beauty purchase whatsoever this year. a humidifier, and some contact lens solution don't count, right? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i did get some sorel boots. i don't have proper snow boots, and every year, i keep delaying getting one. it's been snowing a lot here though, and i'm scared to go outside!

For those of us who like to recycle, terracycle.com will take cosmetics and personal item packaging, and give points for items. The points can be used to donate to organizations. If you sign up at the above website under the "personal care and beauty brigade", they will give you a label for free shipping. I used to recycle my containers at Origins, but the last few times I got the side eye from the sales people, so this is better for me, I think. I have 2 shopping bags full I mean to recycle next week! Yay!!!

For those of us who like to recycle, terracycle.com will take cosmetics and personal item packaging, and give points for items. The points can be used to donate to organizations. If you sign up at the above website under the "personal care and beauty brigade", they will give you a label for free shipping. I used to recycle my containers at Origins, but the last few times I got the side eye from the sales people, so this is better for me, I think. I have 2 shopping bags full I mean to recycle next week! Yay!!!
This is really great! Thanks so much. It looks like you only get points if you have 10 lbs of stuff to send them at a time, but they'll still give you a free shipping label if you send less, so it's better than trashing it all!

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

I KNOW I'm 10 Days late, but I haven't brought anything beauty related yet this New Year...actually, I've barely left my house because of the below freezing temperatures. So I'm gonna participate. I’m actually going to go until my birthday month of May 1.

I’m a full-time grad student and I have a TON of skincare products. So I'm going to do a No Beauty Buy challenge and my goal is clear, glowing, even-toned skin, correcting any hyperpigmentaton. I’m going to focus on using up my skincare products consistently to see if they really are worth the hype.

Here are my rules:
+ I will keep my Birchbox (it pays for itself with the points and codes), We Are Onyx (its the best beauty subscription service for Brown girls), and Glossybox subscription (tho I may cancel Glossybox sometime soon).

+ No buying any products using my own money unless its a necessity and it runs out, like a gentle cleanser. I am going to make an exception and say that I will be buying the OST Vitamin C Serum soon because I’m trying to get clear skin and everyone is raving about how well it works. I’m waiting on a new batch to be made because the manufacture date currently is December and I know Vitamin C’s shelf-life is short and it takes 15-30 days to ship from Korea.

+ I will have over 900 Birchbox points by next week, plus I have a 25% off my 25th box code, so I can buy products using my points/code as long as my total comes to be under $20.

+ I can still engage in swapping/trading items on here.

+ I have horrible eczema on my back, so I will have to buy some aquaphor, possibly a gentle shower gel, and a humidifier, but these are moreso health related purchases.

What I'll Be Working On in the Meantime
1. Trying to achieve acne free, glowing, even toned, skin by having a consistent day and night skincare regimen using the numerous skincare products I already own.
2. Using up as many hair products as I can by experimenting on wash day and with various styles
3. Getting back in the habit of doing my nails at least weekly
4. Wearing a fragrance every day
5. Organizing/reducing my beauty stash again (I feel like I do this every 3 months or so but because I get so many samples and buy so many things, it gets disorganized and items get lost in the mix)

If I stick with this I will reward myself with my 3 items that are on my beauty wish list.

I'm joining you all... A little late, but after spending too much this week this is what I need. We are expecting a baby boy in April so it's not like I don't need to save instead of buying beauty stuff.

I'm trying to go through my stash and buying lots of stuff is not helping... The clutter is getting to me. 

**The only stuff I can/will buy: concealer if I run out, shampoo+conditioner, cleanser and just the other stuff I need on a daily basis (shaving cream, contact lenses solution, etc.).

**I'll keep my Ipsy and Birchbox subs, but no new ones. I can swap/trade as well. 

Kristine you are absolutely welcome to start one!  I don't know how much participation you'll have, but I think it's an excellent idea - my only suggestion is to bump it back a bit?  I'd like more than a 20 day break just to feel like I can spoil myself for a bit!

HOWEVER, if there are other people who would prefer the short break, and would like to start May 1st, I'm all for it!

My plan (if anybody wants to come on this adventure with me) is to do a 6 month no-buy so one that ends the last day of June. If I am good during this 100 day challenge I can use ULTA points for a big purchase/treat (and any replacements I anticipate for the remainder) the week this challenge ends. But if there are people looking for that longer term no buy I would love a group. If not, I know the usual monthly threads are more than supportive enough to help me out until the end of my personal goal!

I've been thinking of doing a second 100 day beginning on May 1st. That gives a break between the two, and would allow a slew of new people to join up without being so late. What do y'all think?
I like the idea!  Going through my stash today made me realize just how much stuff I have (and there's more to get to), but I would have to make an exception for myself, June is my b-day month, and my reward for doing well on this 100 days is a b-day shopping spree (and only that shopping spree).

@ How about June 1st? That would be easier to keep track of, to do two a year, once every 6 months.

I would like it to become a  MUT "thing", like the secret exchanges twice a year. Of course getting things for your giftee only would not count, so it wouldn't interfere with gift exchanges.

I've been thinking of doing a second 100 day beginning on May 1st. That gives a break between the two, and would allow a slew of new people to join up without being so late. What do y'all think?
I would probably join.  With the exception that I think I would order the Sephora sun safety collection when it comes out (don't remember the exact date), and something else to hit free shipping.  I really used everything in that collection last year (except for the bronzer) and liked that some of the proceeds went to a good cause.

@ How about June 1st? That would be easier to keep track of, to do two a year, once every 6 months.

I would like it to become a  MUT "thing", like the secret exchanges twice a year. Of course getting things for your giftee only would not count, so it wouldn't interfere with gift exchanges.
I'd totally join! May seems like it would be too quickly after this one, but June sounds perfect!

Plus, I'll be totally broke from being on maternity leave... I will NEED to be on a no buy!  :rolleyes:

I can buy the essentials in between, June makes total sense for me.

Latest posts

Back