January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Target last night and did not even stop in the beauty section.

I did buy disposable razors because I can't go for three months without shaving under my arms and the one I was using was really dull.  But I only bought them after emptying my entire linen closet looking for extras (sadly, I did not have any extras).  So I don't count that as a fail.  And the only other thing I bought was spray to clean cat barf out of my carpet.  I got out for under $20 (which is, in itself, amazing).  So, day 3 and I'm still good.

Personal hygiene items and basic household cleaning supplies are basic necessities.  You are far better off buying carpet spray in a timely fashion to remove the stain rather than waiting and risking needing to replace carpet.  My belief is the spirit in which the low-buy is intended is not to force participants to feel deprived of their basic necessities, rather it is to curb the urge to buy unnecessary luxury items.  You're doing great because you were in a place where you could have been tempted and you resisted the urge to buy any unnecessary beauty items.  Very nicely done! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Is it too late to join? Is it appropriate to post here if I want to go on a low-buy (meaning, for me,  some items, like inexpensive indies are allowed, while expensive Sephora etc items aren't) or should I stick to the low-buy thread? Please excuse me, I'm new. I'm getting a huge walk-in closet in my new home and I want to shop my stash and go through some of my palettes/make my own palettes before buying any others.

Is it too late to join? Is it appropriate to post here if I want to go on a low-buy (meaning, for me,  some items, like inexpensive indies are allowed, while expensive Sephora etc items aren't) or should I stick to the low-buy thread? Please excuse me, I'm new. I'm getting a huge walk-in closet in my new home and I want to shop my stash and go through some of my palettes/make my own palettes before buying any others.
I think all form of conscious buyers are welcome here!

rather than waiting and risking needing to replace carpet.
Haha, that time is long past.  Some stains don't come out (back in 2012 I had a cat with a severe illness and a feeding tube and I won't go into any more detail than that).  But thanks for the support!

I have to go to Target almost every week because that's where I buy paper towels and (sometimes) kitty litter and canned pumpkin for my dog.  But I'm feeling pretty good about this, in all seriousness.  I've started keeping a shoebox of stuff I've used up (so far, some hair product foils, a mud mask, and a Birchbox shower gel sample).  I have hopes that one day soon, all the half-empty bottles in my shower will be used, too!

@ Oooohhhh Todd Browning "Freaks", one of my all time favorite movies!!

Here's an idea to keep everyone excited: Drag out all of  your makeup/beauty books and use them for new inspiration. Do not buy any! Use what you have or check something out of the library. If you have a Kindle and the Unlimited Books program you can often find books about cosmetics free.

I just transferred all of mine from archives to my Kindle Fire, and now that I can see them in color, it feels like I have brand new books.

You can also check out YouTube for new ideas, as long as it is not a spending trigger for you. Ignore the product specific mentions and figure out how to use your stash to replicate the look.

Let's have fun with this! I know I get into a rut, but makeup washes off, so try a new look on your downtime.
I did not know there were beauty books. I will check the library to see what is there.

• Dear god, do not allow me to buy more eyeshadow! I have SOO MANY. I think I am going to just reach into my storage and grab 2-3 random colors and see what I come up with. 

After organizing, I am also banning myself from buying lip colors AND balms. I thought I would get away with keeping balms on the buy list, but I have far too many. The only exception MIGHT be more Life Entropy lipsticks because she said they are limited edition. 
I will let myself buy essentials (deodorant *I am testing natural ones so far!*, shampoo, toothpaste) but I do NOT need any more whipped soap or scrubs for quite some time. I also will try a different whipped soap every 2-3 showers. 
Indie perfumes are my hardcore weakness right now. I am ONLY allowed to get L.E. / seasonal and only 1-3 per company. I also am going to test all of my collection during these 100 days, switching them up every day or so. 
Dang samples. I need to use them. I did end up throwing some out today that I knew I would never use (I'm looking at your Number 4 and Neil George hair stuff). 
Memebox stuff. I have so much. I really need to use them OR sell/trade what I don't even want to try. (HI GUYS, I HAVE AN UNOPENED BOX OF DREAM CHEESE BOUNCE CREAM IF Y'ALL ARE INTERESTED :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) 

As far as I'm concerned we have just barely gotten started so you're more than welcome.

My problem has been two fold.  Firstly I spent too much money on beauty items.  Secondly I have accumulated too many beauty items.  Since I have too much stuff having a successful no-buy experience is important to me because I know I don't need any more stuff.  Also using the items in my stash is important to me so I have a smaller beauty stash.  Buying things does not appeal to me right now though using the things I already have on hand definitely excites me.  It seems as though I am in the mindset and it feels really good!!!

• Dear god, do not allow me to buy more eyeshadow! I have SOO MANY. I think I am going to just reach into my storage and grab 2-3 random colors and see what I come up with. 
  • After organizing, I am also banning myself from buying lip colors AND balms. I thought I would get away with keeping balms on the buy list, but I have far too many. The only exception MIGHT be more Life Entropy lipsticks because she said they are limited edition. 
  • I will let myself buy essentials (deodorant *I am testing natural ones so far!*, shampoo, toothpaste) but I do NOT need any more whipped soap or scrubs for quite some time. I also will try a different whipped soap every 2-3 showers. 
  • Indie perfumes are my hardcore weakness right now. I am ONLY allowed to get L.E. / seasonal and only 1-3 per company. I also am going to test all of my collection during these 100 days, switching them up every day or so. 
  • Dang samples. I need to use them. I did end up throwing some out today that I knew I would never use (I'm looking at your Number 4 and Neil George hair stuff). 
  • Memebox stuff. I have so much. I really need to use them OR sell/trade what I don't even want to try. (HI GUYS, I HAVE AN UNOPENED BOX OF DREAM CHEESE BOUNCE CREAM IF Y'ALL ARE INTERESTED :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) 
Although Memebox is amazing those products are usually ENORMOUS (even the full sized products seem to be 4 times the size of a product you'd buy here) so they're also the bane of my existence. Too much product!!

I'm  a bit late to the party, but I'm in!

I just found a few pretty palettes by makeup revolution, and I was already stuffing a shopping card full and watching reviews when I realised that it's the opposite of what I believe in. I once had close to 300 eyeshadows, and now down to below the 100. And just then I was about to buy palettes with a combined total of 80 eyeshadows, just like that! I haven't been getting rid of things to just buy new stuff! I decided that I need to teach myself a lesson and this challenge is perfect for it!

I already posted my updated makeup collection.

I never had a problem with the other personal care area's like skincare, except that I have more soaps than I need (all gifts) and I somehow ended up with multiple hairserums.

But for the challenge's sake I will include them too.

I'm just going to start this challenge from the first of januari, because it's a nice date and I haven't bought anything yet anyway.

my rules

• don't buy anything makeup, hair, or personal care related for the next 100 days.
  • The products I can buy when I run out are: deodorant, shavingcream, shampoo and conditioner, dryshampoo, moisturizer, toothpaste, makeup remover and wipes, nailvarnish remover, cotton pads and q-tips. If I run out of anything else, I'll just have to deal with it. EDIT: if razors are on sale, i can buy those too, just because they aren't on sale that often and I use them anyway.
  • try and wear full makeup on as many days as possible, even when I'm just at home. otherwise I'd just be wearing bb cream and mascara for three months.
  • Keep a list of everything that I finish, because if I do finish something or hit pan, I know I'm doing a good job

if i succeed in not buying anything, I can reward myself after these 100 days with a small purchase like a concealer or liquid eyeliner that I've been wanting to try, and I can repurchase stuff I have run out of. But I still can't buy any colorful makeup like eyeshadows, colorful eyeliner, tinted lipbalms, lilpsticks, blushes, bronzers or highlighters, not until I finished my makeup marathon.

For this year, the next 365 days. I am also doing a makeup marathon.

I really want to get the value out of everything I own, and to make sure that I actually use and like everything I have. I keep track of everything by using a spreadsheet. these are my rules:

before januari 1, 2016 I will

• Have used every single item in my makeupdrawer the same amount of times as it costs new in euro's. for example: a 40 euro palette, must be used 40 times. A 3 euro eyeliner, 3 times. A 12 euro lipstick, 12 times.
  • Have used every shade of blush and shadow in the palettes, so I touch every pan in each palette at least once somewhere in the next year.

once I completed my makeup marathon. I am allowed to purchase cheek, lip and eyestuff again...if I still want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went and got my year planner and some pretty pens from Wal-mart. I'm ready to take on 2015
Good idea! I got my new planner for work, and usually I get a separate one for my personal use, but I might just merge them into one this time and carry it around with me, or try to create it online in my google calendar. I love calendars!!!

Every time I see a new poster in this thread, I'm chanting 'One of us! One of us!'  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hahah, me too! I love this! I love all the new people joining! It makes it seem more doable somehow, more fun! YAYYYYYYYYY- if you're thinking of joining but aren't sure if it's too late, forget that, just join us!!!!  We want YOU!

please everybody keep track of your empties because I get so weirdly proud of every reading the official used it up thread! Indulge my obsession!
I love reading about empties! Yes, please everyone keep track, take photos, or just make a list. I love empties!

Ok so I haven't read this entire thread, because I can't right now...I was skimming (looking to see who's committed) and I saw the calendar on this post...and started crying.  The calendar hit me VERY HARD.  My first grandson is due April 7th.  They live in NC and I will be flying out there when he is almost here/here/immediately after he is here depending on how much notice I get.

I've placed 12 orders since January 1st and have a trip planned to three stores this afternoon.  Oops.  I need to save for trips to see my grandson, until we can live closer (they move frequently in the Army).  I need to rein it in...so I subbed.  I'll lurk and not commit right now, but I really need to hear from you all about what you're doing and try to remind myself that I don't need everything I see.  I don't just have samples of things, I have enough samples of any one thing to fill little jars.  Double Oops.  I mean, it was kind of by design so that I could enjoy sampling something long enough to see if I like it, but that was before I actually settled on my go-to products.  Now that I've done that, the samples just look at me...all sorted and pretty.  TONS of Philosophy (because for some reason I won't buy it, but I hoard it, and don't use it, but just look at it  :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ).  Same with L'Occitane.  LOVE L'Occitane except I do use that stuff...but I digress and you get the gist anyway.

I'm watching...and learning from you that have more willpower than I do.  I don't know if it is because my grandson isn't here yet that I have a hard time planning, or if it is because he is so far away it isn't a constant reminder that he is coming...either way I want to spend as much time as I can with him, spoiling him, and loving him.  I need to save up for my future trips!!

Maybe I'll print that calendar and put it on my laptop.  Actually yeah I think I'm going to do that when I get to work Monday.  (no printer at home...ok the printer is at my other place, and I'm STILL NOT FULLY MOVED OUT OF THIS ONE...since like what...November 1st???   Ok, I have serious priority issues...UGH).
Awww, your first grandson! Wow! I can't wait until he's born! That is such a good reason to go on a low-buy/no-buy! I hope that you are able to do it! Be strong!

I did not know there were beauty books. I will check the library to see what is there.
Good idea- I'll check out my library this week and see if I can find any!

My problem has been two fold.  Firstly I spent too much money on beauty items.  Secondly I have accumulated too many beauty items.  Since I have too much stuff having a successful no-buy experience is important to me because I know I don't need any more stuff.  Also using the items in my stash is important to me so I have a smaller beauty stash.  Buying things does not appeal to me right now though using the things I already have on hand definitely excites me.  It seems as though I am in the mindset and it feels really good!!!
Same here- , only I think my problem is more like three-fold:

1. Psychological spending to self-soothe

2. Spending too much on beauty items

3. Accumulating too many beauty items

I love your signature, by the way! I'm going to do that to mine too! And I think I'll even get myself a nifty new little avatar related to the no-buy to help me out! Hahaha, this will be awesome!

----

An update on how things are going for me 1/5/2015: 10 things edition!!

1. I returned $53.50 worth of items to Sephora on Friday. I had not used them, but bought them during the 20% off sale and during Black Friday. I decided instead of 'just making it work and finding a use for them' I would just return them. I'm not spending my return money on anything, just letting it stay in my bank account.

2. I have not made any beauty-related purchases yet, except I did have to already replenish some items that I use on the daily (my nightly moisturizer (which comes every 6 weeks for $40 along with my acne treatment and cleanser) and my vitamin C serum ($48, but use daily)). Those were on the 'ok to buy, necessary replacement list'.

3. I'll soon need to purchase my daily spf moisturizer, but I'm waiting until a certain time

Sephora 2x points on skincare, since I get it from Sephora.
or until it completely runs out. I think I have enough to last me to the end of this week. It's $28.

4. So I already have a fair amount of empties so far this month, which is awesome! I'll post them at the end of January, I believe.

5. I did have to buy a plane ticket for this summer earlier this month, but that doesn't count.

6. Friday I had an eye appointment and I don't have vision insurance. I thought my prescription must have changed, but it's the same... and now I'm $200 out-of-pocket for nothing.

7. On Friday I went to Walmart late at night to get some groceries, but I also bought some organizational supplies for my room (which I'm not counting against my no-buy since I budgeted for some organizational supplies). I got a tray to take dishes up and downstairs with, a timer for keeping myself in a hustle in the morning, some clips to close my cat's catfood bag with, and an extension cord so I could put two lamps on my vanity so I can actually see myself when I apply makeup.

8. Bad bad- our microwave at work was broken so I had to buy my lunch on Friday. I got a Subway flatizza and after the eye doctor appointment I got myself a McDonald's fudge sundae. Why? I don't know why.... it was superfluous! Watch it!!! Remember this isn't just about makeup!

9. No purchases Saturday or Sunday. At all. Not just beauty-related. YAY!!!

10. I don't remember if I put this in my plans or not, but I'm buying myself some prescription sunglasses now that I've verified my prescription is up-to-date. I don't have any, never have, and one of my resolutions this year is to be more adamant about suncare- so actually measuring my daily spf in a 1/4 teaspoon, reapplying when outdoors for long hours, and wearing sunglasses when driving. I may also buy myself a back-up pair of eyeglasses since my current ones are scratched and are 5 years old.

6. Friday I had an eye appointment and I don't have vision insurance. I thought my prescription must have changed, but it's the same... and now I'm $200 out-of-pocket for nothing.
Knowing that your vision is stable and your eyes are healthy isn't nothing. Preventative/routine appointments like that always make me feel like I'm being a responsible adult and taking care of myself. Good job!

I agree with @@TooMuchElectric . The sticker shock hurts, but it wasn't for nothing and it's good to be on top of your vision, especially as you had had doubts. I imagine they also checked the general health of your eye, which is important. 

Good idea! I got my new planner for work, and usually I get a separate one for my personal use, but I might just merge them into one this time and carry it around with me, or try to create it online in my google calendar. I love calendars!!!

Hahah, me too! I love this! I love all the new people joining! It makes it seem more doable somehow, more fun! YAYYYYYYYYY- if you're thinking of joining but aren't sure if it's too late, forget that, just join us!!!!  We want YOU!

I love reading about empties! Yes, please everyone keep track, take photos, or just make a list. I love empties!

Awww, your first grandson! Wow! I can't wait until he's born! That is such a good reason to go on a low-buy/no-buy! I hope that you are able to do it! Be strong!

Good idea- I'll check out my library this week and see if I can find any!

Same here- , only I think my problem is more like three-fold:

1. Psychological spending to self-soothe

2. Spending too much on beauty items

3. Accumulating too many beauty items

I love your signature, by the way! I'm going to do that to mine too! And I think I'll even get myself a nifty new little avatar related to the no-buy to help me out! Hahaha, this will be awesome!

----

An update on how things are going for me 1/5/2015: 10 things edition!!

1. I returned $53.50 worth of items to Sephora on Friday. I had not used them, but bought them during the 20% off sale and during Black Friday. I decided instead of 'just making it work and finding a use for them' I would just return them. I'm not spending my return money on anything, just letting it stay in my bank account.

2. I have not made any beauty-related purchases yet, except I did have to already replenish some items that I use on the daily (my nightly moisturizer (which comes every 6 weeks for $40 along with my acne treatment and cleanser) and my vitamin C serum ($48, but use daily)). Those were on the 'ok to buy, necessary replacement list'.

3. I'll soon need to purchase my daily spf moisturizer, but I'm waiting until a certain time

Sephora 2x points on skincare, since I get it from Sephora.
or until it completely runs out. I think I have enough to last me to the end of this week. It's $28.

4. So I already have a fair amount of empties so far this month, which is awesome! I'll post them at the end of January, I believe.

5. I did have to buy a plane ticket for this summer earlier this month, but that doesn't count.

7. On Friday I went to Walmart late at night to get some groceries, but I also bought some organizational supplies for my room (which I'm not counting against my no-buy since I budgeted for some organizational supplies). I got a tray to take dishes up and downstairs with, a timer for keeping myself in a hustle in the morning, some clips to close my cat's catfood bag with, and an extension cord so I could put two lamps on my vanity so I can actually see myself when I apply makeup.

8. Bad bad- our microwave at work was broken so I had to buy my lunch on Friday. I got a Subway flatizza and after the eye doctor appointment I got myself a McDonald's fudge sundae. Why? I don't know why.... it was superfluous! Watch it!!! Remember this isn't just about makeup!

9. No purchases Saturday or Sunday. At all. Not just beauty-related. YAY!!!

10. I don't remember if I put this in my plans or not, but I'm buying myself some prescription sunglasses now that I've verified my prescription is up-to-date. I don't have any, never have, and one of my resolutions this year is to be more adamant about suncare- so actually measuring my daily spf in a 1/4 teaspoon, reapplying when outdoors for long hours, and wearing sunglasses when driving. I may also buy myself a back-up pair of eyeglasses since my current ones are scratched and are 5 years old.
You should look on groupon and livingsocial for vision/glasses deals. 

Knowing that your vision is stable and your eyes are healthy isn't nothing. Preventative/routine appointments like that always make me feel like I'm being a responsible adult and taking care of myself. Good job!
This.  Granted, I've needed corrective lenses since I was 5 (now I'm 37), plus I've had eye surgeries three times to correct a muscle imbalance.  So I feel kind of funny if I go too long *without* seeing the eye doctor.

I agree with @@TooMuchElectric . The sticker shock hurts, but it wasn't for nothing and it's good to be on top of your vision, especially as you had had doubts. I imagine they also checked the general health of your eye, which is important. 
Yes!  Having yearly eye exams is important.  I worked in an optometrist's office for 8 years.  They can diagnose diabetes and high blood pressure just from looking at your eye!  Oh and high cholesterol.  Eye exams are important and so are sunglasses!

@@eastofthesun If you can upgrade your lenses to polarized.  They cost more but they reduce glare and protect your eyes.  I honestly believe the reason people think I am 10 years younger than I am is because I wear sunglasses!

Sunglasses keep you from getting wrinkles and macular degeneration.  

OK sorry y'all PSA over.  But for real wear sunglasses.  Every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back