January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ok I got a sephora order today but I ordered it before January. So technically I have maintained my no buy. Only 3 months to go.... Hehe

The loopholes are what really get me -- "Oh, but I don't have an *illuminating* under-eye concealer. That's practically a different product."

I think I just have to set a firm no buy policy for at least three months because there isn't a single thing that I'm literally going to run out of by that time.

The loopholes get me too! I am also on a strict no-buy this month (except stuff I run out of), and hopefully I can keep it up longer than that too. I'm very impressed some of you have decided on 3 months. Oh, so many things have tempted me; various e.l.f products, nail polish... even to the point of putting it in my shopping basket but I always put it back! Today I went to the drug store and ONLY bought what I needed, a night cream and liners ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> proud of myself. I just take it day by day, instead of thinking about not buying anything for the whole month, I just concentrate on making it through the day, then rinse and repeat the day after... I hope it gets easier as time goes on!

The funny thing is that when I really think about it, I was happier with my products when I bought the higher-end, luxury stuff. I could try it on, test it out, get some information on them from the sales people... the colors and wear and texture and quality was usually better as well.

But when makeup became a compulsive thing, or an addiction, I found myself buying lots of lower-end stuff that I didn't really like, and I'd keep re-purchasing until I found *the* color because I couldn't try it on as completely as I could at a department store counter or Sephora.

Then there are sales -- I saw 25% off Bioderma at Shoppers today and almost gave in, but I have TWO makeup removers I still need to deplete. Yet I could feel the wheels turning in my head, "Oh, just buy it and store it for when you *do* run out."

Either way, I think what this experience is teaching me is that drug store makeup really knows what it's doing when it comes to turning makeup junkies into makeup addicts.

So far, I'm doing well.  Other than a pack of cotton rounds, I haven't bought anything beauty-related.  I've decided, too, that as I run out of things, I'm going to try some natural diy options.  I've had lots of fun looking up recipes for moisturizer and facial mists and cleansers and primers and... and...!  =)

I'm gonna join you ladies. I am new here. Over the past few months, thanks to the holidays and all crazy awesome sales, I went a little overboard. I attained Sephora VIB for the first time this year, that's $350 right there. Plus I shopped at drugstores sometimes, lets assume $100 on drugstore products. Then I got some stuff at The Body Shop, BBW, and a few things at MAC. Ouch I might have spent well over $500 on beauty products in 2012. Don't know about you ladies but for me that's CRAZY. On the brighter side, I'm pretty much happy with all my purchases. I usually research and read 10,000 reviews before I went and purchased something. A few impulse buys turned out to be my favorites. Only a few items did not work out, so I returned. Pretty happy with my collection. I really need to use up some of my stuff. I have products that are half used or 75% used laying around, taking up so much space. I'm going to try going on a no buy for the next 3 months. Cross my fingers... Sighzzzz.

it's interesting, as time rolls on and i browse around stores and online shopping sites trying not to buy anything, i find that I sort of value what I already have a lot more.  Or at least I find myself incorporating a bunch of older eyeshadow palettes, etc, into my daily routines.  What's cool is I've been experimenting with colors a lot more lately and it's so nice to discover that I have a pretty good collection!  A really nice variety of colors, textures, and finishes (just no neons, lol).  For skincare products I've become more determined to use things up before buying more so I'm racing through a bunch of samples first then tackling the fullsize items.

It hasn't exactly been _fun_ but not as bad as I was expecting.

*looks at date* it's ONLY JAN 9???? feels like it's been forever!!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ugggh. I caved and bought the Bioderma today because they'd re-stocked it. I'm still going to force myself to use up my other products first, though.

I like what you're saying about valuing the products you already have, nishino, but this past year I went through and tossed all of my really high-end stuff that was past its expiry and then raided all these drug stores because of my compulsive shopping issue, so I actually find that I'm annoyed with all of the not-so-great products I bought which, when added up, could've just been a handful of great products I knew I would love.

I decided I really, really need to go no-buy for a while. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm shooting for a minimum of 6 months. I have so much makeup, I could seriously go the rest of my life (if expiration wasn't an issue) without ever running out. It's ridiculous! I buy stuff and never use it but am so drawn to the sparkly, colorful stuff, I'm like a little kid wanting the big box of crayons and a ton of coloring books. LOL! I think that's why makeup appeals to me so much...it's like coloring for big kids :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Anyhow, the strategy that seems to be working best is to leave my purse in the trunk when my husband and I go to the store. I tend to impulse buy, so it has definitely helped.

I decided I really, really need to go no-buy for a while. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm shooting for a minimum of 6 months. I have so much makeup, I could seriously go the rest of my life (if expiration wasn't an issue) without ever running out. It's ridiculous! I buy stuff and never use it but am so drawn to the sparkly, colorful stuff, I'm like a little kid wanting the big box of crayons and a ton of coloring books. LOL! I think that's why makeup appeals to me so much...it's like coloring for big kids :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Anyhow, the strategy that seems to be working best is to leave my purse in the trunk when my husband and I go to the store. I tend to impulse buy, so it has definitely helped.

I am checking into rehab after only 6 days of no buy. I went to CVS today and bought new Physicians formula blush and lip stain. I am a sucker for sales and packaging and these had both. Got the blush for $5.29 and lip stain for $3.29. CVS has $5 off the new products and then they had a $3 and $2 coupon on each one. The sad part is I totally forgot about my no buy. Didn't think twice about it. But look how cute they are. I should return them. ;(

Originally Posted by dawallewein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided I really, really need to go no-buy for a while. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm shooting for a minimum of 6 months. I have so much makeup, I could seriously go the rest of my life (if expiration wasn't an issue) without ever running out. It's ridiculous! I buy stuff and never use it but am so drawn to the sparkly, colorful stuff, I'm like a little kid wanting the big box of crayons and a ton of coloring books. LOL! I think that's why makeup appeals to me so much...it's like coloring for big kids
biggrin.gif
. Anyhow, the strategy that seems to be working best is to leave my purse in the trunk when my husband and I go to the store. I tend to impulse buy, so it has definitely helped.
I've started doing the same -- when we go to the States (I live in Canada), I conveniently "forget" my bag in the car when we go to Target. Target is such a temptation because everything in Canada is at least 25% more expensive and it takes us an extra month or two to get any new release products.

I do find one thing interesting, though -- you mention the fun of the new, sparkly things, and I'm the same way. But I notice that the higher-end brands tend to keep the same products year after year, introducing limited edition items often but permanent items very rarely. They focus on promoting quality or loyalty, etc. It's really the drug store brands that try to convince you that they've just discovered a new chemical called silkinium that they've mined in the hills of Mount Beaux Cheveaux in France.

If a company's marketing is always about "new," but not necessarily about "better," I think that speaks to why a lot of us compulsively shop -- in some ways, we're taught to be dissatisfied with "old" products and hopeful about new ones. That way drug store brands don't have to really put that much effort in.

Originally Posted by wpbteacher8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am checking into rehab after only 6 days of no buy. I went to CVS today and bought new Physicians formula blush and lip stain. I am a sucker for sales and packaging and these had both. Got the blush for $5.29 and lip stain for $3.29. CVS has $5 off the new products and then they had a $3 and $2 coupon on each one. The sad part is I totally forgot about my no buy. Didn't think twice about it. But look how cute they are. I should return them. ;(
oh those are so adorable!  no wonder you couldn't resist!  i'm glad my drug store didn't have that special packaging....

i was browsing the ipsy website today and one of the ladies there had a great idea.  the items she receives in her monthly subscriptions that she doesn't want/need, eventually get donated to a women's shelter.  while I can see that helping with the guilt of having too much product sitting around the house, it doesn't really solve the problem of an actual shopping addiction.

I'm the same way about being drawn to sparkly, color stuff!  My downfall is eyeshadow palettes and usually when I get that "must buy!" feeling it's not because I need more eyeshadow, it's just that the palettes are so dang gorgeous just to LOOK at.  I even started just storing the photographs of them on my computer and look at those once in a while when I need a fix....

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a company's marketing is always about "new," but not necessarily about "better," I think that speaks to why a lot of us compulsively shop -- in some ways, we're taught to be dissatisfied with "old" products and hopeful about new ones. That way drug store brands don't have to really put that much effort in.
This explains the behavior of many of us I suspect!  We are all searching for that Holy Grail item in every possibly category and if we haven't found it yet then it's very tempting to keep trying new stuff.

For me I tend to read ingredient labels obsessively which helps me to cut down a lot on skincare items that I buy.  I have sensitive skin and strict rules about fragrance free and other things.  I almost never buy something without first looking up the review from Paula Begoun "the Cosmetics Cop" to get the rundown of whether the ingredients in the product even have a chance to living up to the marketing claims.  Making that the gateway seriously cuts down on impulse buys.

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've started doing the same -- when we go to the States (I live in Canada), I conveniently "forget" my bag in the car when we go to Target. Target is such a temptation because everything in Canada is at least 25% more expensive and it takes us an extra month or two to get any new release products.

I do find one thing interesting, though -- you mention the fun of the new, sparkly things, and I'm the same way. But I notice that the higher-end brands tend to keep the same products year after year, introducing limited edition items often but permanent items very rarely. They focus on promoting quality or loyalty, etc. It's really the drug store brands that try to convince you that they've just discovered a new chemical call silkinium that they've mined in the hills of Mount Beaux Cheveaux in France.

I chuckled at your comment "try to convince you that they've just discovered a new chemical called silkinium that they've mined in the hills of Mount Beaux Cheveaux in France"!  LOL!!!  If that isn't the truth! 
beer.gif

Help!  All of a sudden I feel like I don't have enough matte eye shadows and I'm dying to put in an order for the Stila In the Know palette :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Help!  All of a sudden I feel like I don't have enough matte eye shadows and I'm dying to put in an order for the Stila In the Know palette :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That Stila palette has many more shimmers than mattes. So I wouldn't obsess about it!

If you really NEED a matte shadow and your on a low buy...try Wet and Wild. Believe it or not their mattes are surprisingly not bad. (not great, but suitable for sure) and they cost $2!

hey, thanks!  I was wondering whether any drugstore brands had good mattes.  will check it out!

Back