January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four bags!  Good job!

I've now pretty much decided I'm gonna try to do a 10-makeup-item year.  However makeup never became a problem to me until recently.  I tend to hoard one type of item, and when I try to stop I move to hoarding a different type of item.  If it's not makeup, it's music or books or clothes or garden seeds or whatever.  I'd already realized that spending and hoarding in general is a problem I want to curb this year.  Hearing her talk through trying to change her thought processes to change her behavior is helpful to me.

I almost feel like I shouldn't convince myself into a low/no buy because that sets me up to buy everything ever. U G H. Next month: swear I'm not going to buy nail polish. At this point it's not even spending money -- I just have too much STUFF to deal with right now

:C Maybe all the money I will need to shell out for furniture this month will convince me to be more prudent next month.

I did good I just skipped on the bhcosmetic party girl posted haha I didnt want it to be one of my 10 items! That got me to say no thank you real quick:)

Dior - have you decided to do "Make Out 2013"?!  Have you already decided what you will/won't put in to it?

If there are several people who want to give it a try, maybe we could start a thread and support each other.  Also could help keep us accountable, if we're keeping our count here.  I'm game, if anyone else is!

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dior - have you decided to do "Make Out 2013"?!  Have you already decided what you will/won't put in to it?

If there are several people who want to give it a try, maybe we could start a thread and support each other.  Also could help keep us accountable, if we're keeping our count here.  I'm game, if anyone else is!
Looks like a thread was already started (https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/132192/makeout-2013)   They thanked you for pointing them to the PinkSoFoxy video.  Looks like this will be quite a phenomenon this year!  I'm still contemplating joining but not sure whether I have the willpower...is 10 items really enough to tide you over for an entire year?

btw for people purging their collections and getting rid of stuff....where do you get rid of it??  I'm tempted to just take everything I have on my trade list and donate to goodwill or something.  But not sure whether goodwill takes that sort of stuff.  I guess I could just call them.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like a thread was already started (https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/132192/makeout-2013)   They thanked you for pointing them to the PinkSoFoxy video.  Looks like this will be quite a phenomenon this year!  I'm still contemplating joining but not sure whether I have the willpower...is 10 items really enough to tide you over for an entire year?
Oh!  Well... Goodie!  =)  Thanks!  Huh.  Well, since I'm the one who opened up this whole can 'o worms, I guess I should do it, eh? 
wink.gif

I'd guess whether 10 items is enough depends on what you have and what you decide to count.  I mean, if you change mascaras every other month and don't have any backups, you may wanna omit them from your 10, like PinkSoFoxy did with false eyelashes.  I think the idea is to really think about what's enough when you're not caught up in the midst of an impulse, make a decision of what's right for you, and write it down so it's an actual concrete limit you want to impose, rather than the nebulous idea of "I've got too much and I should quit buying!  Right after this purchase..."

None of our shelters around here take makeup unless it's new and still wrapped, from what I see googling it.  Best I can suggest is googling "donate used makeup" and your city name.

So how's everyone doing?  We finally passed the mid-month mark, I have to say it's been hard to constrain my itchy trigger finger when it comes to online shopping.  I go to one site, put together a nice shopping cart "just for fun", do the same thing at the next site, etc.  

On the other hand I have managed to successfully browse around in-store at Sephora several times without purchasing anything (once because the item I wanted, a lash comb, was sold out).

So far I _have_ caved a few times:

1. benefit cream shadow -- free shipping code and it was on clearance!  $11

2. maybelline color tattoo in too cool from my RiteAid $5.50

these are going to be my eye primers, i rarely use eye primers but feel like i really need something to brighten up my eye area so the colors can show up.  <--- look at me rationalizing LOL

Wow, mid month already? I'm doing great. Not a single makeup purchase. My goal is nothing until at least March 1st. I set up a nice cart on Dior and if I succeed I'll click buy on the 1st. They are a few limited edition things so who knows if they will even be available by then, just proud I'm able to resist it for now. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Feeling really good about this month so far. Almost finished up a foundation and tackling some samples. Come to think of it, my moisturizer is almost out too! Hooray. We've made it this far, we can certainly go all the way ladies. Good luck. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I tanked in the first 6 days. Plus I realized I get three beauty sub boxes. All three are new to me and I totally forgot about them on my no buy. I am going to cancel one plus I am not going to buy anything else in store. Baby steps right.

My mineral foundation is too dark, so I ordered a few ounces of base ingredient to lighten it - that'll set me for foundation for a long time, and immediately after placing the order I began my Make Out 2013.  Other than that, beauty-wise I've bought one pkg cotton rounds and a bottle of castile soap (I ran out of morning cleanser). 

Not bad for a low-buy!  =)

Im trying to make-and-do with the products i already own, for instance, I run outta gel liner? I get some of that black eyeshadow and mix in face mosturizer and a few drops and distilled water and im good to go for another month! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm on a no/low beauty buy for january and february...although i did cheat and buy the Balm Jovie palette when it was on sale at birchbox with my points. besides that, i only paid for my bb subscription this month (but that doesn't count)

so far i've been pretty good. i have a lot of samples to run through and i'm happy with all the make up items i already own. this has been pretty hard since i got my 3 month bb anniversary coupon and there's a new vib gift thingy from sephora. i just have to keep reminding myself that

1) i don't *need* anything

2) i gotta save up for extra fun funds during grad school

3) there's no point in buying stuff i don't absolutely need if i'm just trying to chase a "free" gift/sample set

keep on keeping on!

I did well for most of December and January. Today, I went to Nordstrom Rack and picked up a five set of mini Urban Decay liners since I wanted them when I first saw them there in November or December. I think I'm going on a budget rather than a no-buy for 2013.

I'm doing really good. I did buy some headphones which I didn't need but wanted to use for walking on the treadmill. Trades are helping immensely. I've also started pressing pigments & loose eyeshadows. I actually put money in our savings! Usually, I spend whatevers left over on makeup.

One thing that's been helping me, is that I start each week with 5 products that I force myself to use all week long. Normally I make sure that they'll work somewhat well together, but either way, at the end of the week I find I either discover a great product that I kept overlooking, or else I finally admit I need to toss something that I'll never really use.

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing that's been helping me, is that I start each week with 5 products that I force myself to use all week long. Normally I make sure that they'll work somewhat well together, but either way, at the end of the week I find I either discover a great product that I kept overlooking, or else I finally admit I need to toss something that I'll never really use.
I like this approach! 

Yes, I like that idea too!  I feel bad just throwing stuff out even though I bought it a long time ago and it never made it into my normal routine.  With liquidlinernote's method, at least I'd be able to say that I definitely gave it a try.  I've been working through my foil sample packets (my hair is awesome today, it might be because of the phyto shampoo sample I used??) and also did the try-for-a-week thing with this eye primer I bought a while back that, honestly, is terrible.  I finally junked it today after getting frustrated with how unevenly my shadows applied with it on.

Also I have a confession to make.  Yesterday Bare Minerals had a massive clearance sale on their website and I snatched a couple of their 8.0 shadow palettes for a huge discount.  I had been eyeing those for so long and really really wanted to try them, and was afraid they'd be sold out! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really have an eyeshadow problem....

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been sort of taking this approach with samples. I dumped them all into an old Birchbox and it's overflowing...that's a problem, haha. Every day I just pull a few things out that I may have neglected or just forgot about and incorporate it into my look that day. I hadn't used my theBalm Staniac sample from the summer because I knew I didn't like the benefit equivalent, but after using it I love it! I'm also trying to use different shadows every day because I sometimes get in a rut. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D It's almost like getting to "buy" new products in my own collection. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

someone help!

i need someone to steer me away from buying stuff just because "its a good deal"

I just got my birchbox anniversary code (20%) off and the things I want will ship free...Also I have an awkward number of points so spending $25 would give me a nice, 0-ending point balance..

My basket contains a couple boyfriend birthday gifts (a jigger and simple syrup) and an eyeko eyeliner - which i know i don't need. solid $25 total right there..That being said, his birthday isn't until March 1st and I'm sure I'll end up picking up more stuff for him in February anyway but it feels like such a good deal! ... And it'll fix my point balance annoyance. 

Ok, now that I type it all out - I sound crazy.

Back