January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldn't help myself, with the READY palettes on sale for $25 I had to snatch them up too!  Lucky you, I really wanted the Finer Things but it was sold out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
It was everywhere I looked too, even the boutique where I just got it until recently. You might try calling around. I heard Nordstrom has it on sale, too.

Oh wait! I'm supposed to be discouraging you from buying. Right?
laughno.gif

LOL!  I'm going to check Nordstrom but actually fingers crossed that they're sold out also!

I did so good this month, I only bought a color tattoo from maybelline, but it was only because I had no money to spend. Here comes February and im already planning what to buy.

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

February is already doomed for me. TheBalm is back on Hautelook and I told myself I could have the Balm Jovi palette if I could get it for half price.
rocknroll2.gif
Oh man....that is my weakness. When is that happening? I may have to disconnect my internet haha. 

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh man....that is my weakness. When is that happening? I may have to disconnect my internet haha. 
This Friday, at 11 A.M. eastern time.

I can't resist buying theBalm from them, because it's always around half price. I would love the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette that just came out, but there's no way I'm shelling out $42 retail for it.

I didn't even want Balm Jovi until I saw EmilyNoel83 talking about it on youtube. I think you may be on to something with that disconnecting the internet idea!

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This Friday, at 11 A.M. eastern time.

I can't resist buying theBalm from them, because it's always around half price. I would love the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette that just came out, but there's no way I'm shelling out $42 retail for it.

I didn't even want Balm Jovi until I saw EmilyNoel83 talking about it on youtube. I think you may be on to something with that disconnecting the internet idea!
I know! It is such a good deal. I make a point to buy a few things each time they have it. I am the same way with that palette. Always pushed it aside, but I trust Emily's opinion so much and look up to her...argh. 

I have gone CRAZY buying things for the past two weeks. I am allowing myself to buy during theBalm's hautelook sale this Friday and I may stop at Ulta on Saturday to look for the new Revlon lip butters that apparently only they are carrying right now. After that I am making myself do a no buy for the month of February. I won't even confess how much money I have spent in January. It's ridiculous and if my husband actually stopped to count it all up I know that he would be pissed. So please, look out for me in February. I am totally going to need the support while I detox.

Originally Posted by ultajunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have gone CRAZY buying things for the past two weeks. I am allowing myself to buy during theBalm's hautelook sale this Friday and I may stop at Ulta on Saturday to look for the new Revlon lip butters that apparently only they are carrying right now. After that I am making myself do a no buy for the month of February. I won't even confess how much money I have spent in January. It's ridiculous and if my husband actually stopped to count it all up I know that he would be pissed. So please, look out for me in February. I am totally going to need the support while I detox.
One of the most helpful things I did was to stop all the sub emails.  I don't need to give Ulta and Sephora and every other makeup store/company direct access to suggest how I should give them my money.

You can always sign up again in March.

I had an epic fail for January. I spent $350 on Mac. All on the Archie's Girl's collection.

But I don't feel one bit remorseful. I just have to figure out where to store all of it.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol maybe you should have posted that in a haul thread instead of the no-buy forum
Yeahhhh...all these sale and haul posts should be in the shopping forum, not here on the no-buy forum and thread. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeahhhh...all these sale and haul posts should be in the shopping forum, not here on the no-buy forum and thread. 
thumbsup2.gif

I think I did pretty okay this month. I only spent about $90 total on beauty stuff, and I think for next month, I'm going to try to get that down to $70, then keep on decreasing it month by month. I also feel like I've gotten better about controlling myself around limited edition stuff--I want those Oz palettes from Urban Decay hella bad, but I keep telling myself that I don't need them. So far, its worked. I did purchase some stuff from the MAC Archie Girls collection, but it was only 3 things, around $50. Usually I go totally nutso crazy over their special collections and buy up everything, but this time I got stuff that was pretty tame--which is usually what I go for. 

There are also a ton of empties in my bag in the bathroom. I'll post a picture of it later tonight. No makeup, but plenty of other stuff. Stay strong ladies!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I did pretty okay this month. I only spent about $90 total on beauty stuff, and I think for next month, I'm going to try to get that down to $70, then keep on decreasing it month by month. I also feel like I've gotten better about controlling myself around limited edition stuff--I want those Oz palettes from Urban Decay hella bad, but I keep telling myself that I don't need them. So far, its worked. I did purchase some stuff from the MAC Archie Girls collection, but it was only 3 things, around $50. Usually I go totally nutso crazy over their special collections and buy up everything, but this time I got stuff that was pretty tame--which is usually what I go for. 

There are also a ton of empties in my bag in the bathroom. I'll post a picture of it later tonight. No makeup, but plenty of other stuff. Stay strong ladies!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah that collection seems pretty cool but I have sort of just taken their limited edition collections off my radar completely. I'm relatively new to makeup, maybe a year or year and a half, and I would get so obsessed with buying from their le collections. They come out what seems like one every second so I just say no thanks and pick up things from the permanent line here and there. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So my budget idea was a bust. I spent $250 this month on stuff (not including things my boyfriend bought me). Granted, I did buy a neat pair of ASICS since my prior pair of shoes kept cutting into my heels when I walk.

February will be better.

I took back 2 of the blushes & I feel much better. I have empties too!

This month (makeup wise) I bought a 4 piece polish set of OPI Nicole for $3 and two CHI polishes for .25 cents each. I also ordered a BB cream sample set from ebay but that won't get to me until March anyway lol. 

...I also subbed to Beauty Army...BUT I canceled Ipsy!  

I'd say I did pretty well, and i'm half way through my project pan :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thats a good idea to do a "step down" style for a no-buy or low buy. I personally try to give myself a makeup allowance where I give myself $5 a week to put towards makeup if I am good on my diet. Also I try to think where I will store my new products and I have a Project 50 pan of older products that I want to use up by 2014.

I'm telling myself the same thing regarding the UD Oz palettes.  Not only do I not need them, I'm not even sure I'd use more than a few of the colors from either palette and those are ones I have potential dupes for anyhow.  So far this strategy is working.  MAC has never been on my radar, so fortunately I do not have to deal with that temptation.

My goal is to have a more curated approach to purchasing, which means slowing down and really evaluating what value an item adds to my collection.  I've been fairly successful with that in mind.  I did purchases The Wild Thing Remix BE palette, which had some unique colors I did not own and will wear, plus I love the READY eye shadow formula.  I also got The Natural High Remix BE blush.  I do not own Nars Orgasm and The Natural High was being reviewed as similar but with less chunky gold glitter, so it fills that niche nicely.  I know I will continue to buy when there are good GWP offers, so those plus my subscription boxes satisfy my urge for "new" and "variety". 

It may not sound like much, but it's actually an improvement.  I bought no drugstore items this month nor any impulse buys.  I will check out the new products at the Tarina Tarantino relaunch in February, as I love her makeup and Temptalia has a 20% off code.

Yesterday I came up with an awesome goal for myself that I think will motivate me to keep doing project pans. I'm really into Korean and overseas cosmetics and beauty products but I rarely buy them since I have so much stuff already. So I think if I reward myself with a Korean product every time I finish 10 things I'll be more motivated to finish my project pans (because I ALWAYS really want to try something new out and am antsy to make a purchase).  And this way I'll be motivated to use up most of my american products so that I can replace with them cooler foreign ones :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Plus I hope that the more overseas things I get (eventually) I won't be tempted to buy as many american products when I walk by CVS/sephora!

that was a rambly post, hopefully it makes sense lol

Back