January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

someone help!

i need someone to steer me away from buying stuff just because "its a good deal"

I just got my birchbox anniversary code (20%) off and the things I want will ship free...Also I have an awkward number of points so spending $25 would give me a nice, 0-ending point balance..

My basket contains a couple boyfriend birthday gifts (a jigger and simple syrup) and an eyeko eyeliner - which i know i don't need. solid $25 total right there..That being said, his birthday isn't until March 1st and I'm sure I'll end up picking up more stuff for him in February anyway but it feels like such a good deal! ... And it'll fix my point balance annoyance. 

Ok, now that I type it all out - I sound crazy.
If it helps at all, I find the liner doesn't have great lasting power, especially for the price tag. When I first got it, I thought I was in love. Over time though I've realized it fades so easily, and that's with a primer. Honestly, save the points and if you really need a liner my favorite is NYC liquid liner. Such a hidden gem. Two dollars and it's my holy grail for sure. 

Hope this helps. I know how difficult it is, especially with the points incentive. It gets easier though, with time. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

Hey! We have the same name! I'm a Jessica Marie too!

This definitely helps. I should save my money and my points! I just cleaned my bathroom and make up area as a distraction and I'm finding more and more eyeliners. As far as the boyfriend's gift is concerned, I can definitely find jiggers at better prices and I do know how to make my own simple syrup - and who knows if the one on BB is actually good? Plus, I have time!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If it helps at all, I find the liner doesn't have great lasting power, especially for the price tag. When I first got it, I thought I was in love. Over time though I've realized it fades so easily, and that's with a primer. Honestly, save the points and if you really need a liner my favorite is NYC liquid liner. Such a hidden gem. Two dollars and it's my holy grail for sure. 

Hope this helps. I know how difficult it is, especially with the points incentive. It gets easier though, with time. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

It looks like you've already been dissuaded (congrats), but just wanted to add that there's no limit to the number of good deals out there these days. Sometimes you might have to wait, but if you miss one, rest assured they'll come around again, and maybe they'll even be better, or you'll be in a better place to take advantage of it then.

I usually just say to myself, "Sure, it's a good deal, but do I need it or do I just want it?" Anytime it's the latter I back off immediately.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I usually just say to myself, "Sure, it's a good deal, but do I need it or do I just want it?" Anytime it's the latter I back off immediately.
LOL that's the key here that I'm having trouble with!  The backing off part is so hard! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, I totally agree! It's much easier said than done.  I've definitely lost the battle quite a few times ("oh, it's so cheap! so pretty! I'll never find it again!"). But it gets easier with practice and discipline. And time! In the beginning, I had to constantly remind myself that I didn't need anything, because I'd go into a drugstore and start perusing the cosmetics aisle without even thinking, even when I was there to buy cold meds.

Argh! Really want to pick up a brow gel. Never had one before but as I've been more into doing my brows I feel like I need one. Come on March 1st. Haha.

Got a card in the mail from Ulta with a 20 off my entire purchase for being so loyal....why must the universe try to take me off my no buy?

oooh how tempting!  maybe if you're "lucky" it will exclude all the prestige brands....haha

Got a really pretty sweater from Nordstrom Rack.. and opened a new LBB. I think my budget is spent for the next 30 days.

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oooh how tempting!  maybe if you're "lucky" it will exclude all the prestige brands....haha
It only excluded Urban Decay I think. I thought about it and realized that the drugstore brands there are at prices where I wouldn't really be getting a good deal. The only thing really tempting is getting a discount on the Lorac Pro Palette but realistically they send 5 dollar off 10 or more so often that's not even a good deal. Yay progress! I can be logic when at a moment of weakness. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

hey everyone! i'm a bit late in here, but i've been doing a no buy this whole month so far (besides a couple of .25 cent CHI polishes from my local grocery store).

I'm planning on doing this for the whole year: project 10-15 pans and I will only buy one full size product each time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyone in? :p

the only things i'll allow myself to buy otherwise are shampoos and conditioners.

I haven't bought anything else since my PF at CVS, however have you seen the Cythia Rowley free gift/sample set from beauty.com? Holy cow! It's a neoprene bag with 15 deluxe size samples but You have to spend$100 to get it. That's a lot, but a great set. MUST......NOT......BUY.

I haven't bought anything else since my PF at CVS, however have you seen the Cythia Rowley free gift/sample set from beauty.com? Holy cow! It's a neoprene bag with 15 deluxe size samples but You have to spend$100 to get it. That's a lot, but a great set. MUST......NOT......BUY.

Okay I just made a purchase at modcloth, but I made sure to ONLY get things i need = Boots. 2 of 3 of my pairs have gone in the trash this summer and I desperately need new ones. and at 14.99 a piece i couldn't say no and got 2. 

I know this isn't makeup/beauty products but clothes also count in my no buy (unless it really is something I need).

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay I just made a purchase at modcloth, but I made sure to ONLY get things i need = Boots. 2 of 3 of my pairs have gone in the trash this summer and I desperately need new ones. and at 14.99 a piece i couldn't say no and got 2. 

I know this isn't makeup/beauty products but clothes also count in my no buy (unless it really is something I need).
I usually feel the same way but I couldn't resist the Modcloth sale either. I think it helped that in my opinion it wasn't as good as it usually was, but I still spent more than was needed, ha.

yeah they were definitely lacking in size ranges this time. AND most everything on sale has like a 2 star rating lol. that made it easy to say no to a lot of things

Me too! I always read the reviews before I order and a lot of people were like 'awkward fit' or 'way too short' which both let me know I'll be wearing it nowhere. Their customer service helps negate some of the negitive feels but still, I behaved and only bought stuff I was 90% sure would work for me. Still more than I needed!

I went to Ross and they had so many huge Betsey Johnson bags for $35. Also, a really cute Street Level tiny purse (of which I don't have) for like $15. AAAnd a 7 pack Color Club polish set for $8.

I stayed strong and left emptyhanded. Though if they're still there in a week I'm getting them.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Ross and they had so many huge Betsey Johnson bags for $35. Also, a really cute Street Level tiny purse (of which I don't have) for like $15. AAAnd a 7 pack Color Club polish set for $8.

I stayed strong and left emptyhanded. Though if they're still there in a week I'm getting them.

claps.gif

Back