January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hey, thanks!  I was wondering whether any drugstore brands had good mattes.  will check it out!
Buy one first to check out the quality. (the one I got was slightly chalky)

But a few reviews (including Allure) have reco'd their mattes as a less costly alternative.

Originally Posted by wpbteacher8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am checking into rehab after only 6 days of no buy. I went to CVS today and bought new Physicians formula blush and lip stain. I am a sucker for sales and packaging and these had both. Got the blush for $5.29 and lip stain for $3.29. CVS has $5 off the new products and then they had a $3 and $2 coupon on each one. The sad part is I totally forgot about my no buy. Didn't think twice about it. But look how cute they are. I should return them. ;(
That's freaking adorable! And you got such a good deal too... I think I would have been tempted as well >_< If you have the strength to return them, good for you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't know if I would, haha...

Doing great so far. Still having fun playing around with the tarte set I got for Christmas, which should tie me over for at least the rest of the month. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

Oh man, that Physician's Formula packaging is really cute. I love PF, but one of the things that always helps to stay my shopping hand is that they're selling their nearly-department store-priced products in a drug store. It's a bit of an awkward price point, so it's always the most expensive thing on the shelves, but if they were in a department store, they'd be the cheapest.

Felt good today -- wanted a pack of My Beauty Diary face masks with the reasoning that I'd run out, and then I remembered that I have *three* other face masks at home (non-My Beauty Diary), put it down and walked out.

I've got to stop giving myself little cheating loopholes. If I completely run out of something that's essential to my routine, like all moisturizer or all cleanser, then fine. But this whole, "Oh, but I don't have face masks" thing is just silly.

11 days in and I already bought makeup. I can say SOME makeup I bought I needed which were two drugstore Foundations, Revlon liquid eyeliner, and a eyebrow pencil. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> two items I didn't really need but I just had to purchase them are the Beauty Blender and the Ben Nye Banana powder. (which btw are amazing!) I was tempted to purchase those new Loreal lip stains which are comparable to the YSL ones, but I decided not to get them.  *SIGH* being on a no buy is difficult!! I can say I succeeded on a no buy in August and September so it is possible for me not to buy makeup but I couldn't resist it. EEkk! 

I'm shooting for restraint this month. I wandered through a few stores this morning after work and managed to only buy deodorant, which I needed. I had picked up several makeup items and somehow managed to put every single item back! Probably doesn't help I'd bought Maybelline color tattoo pots, Zoya polish and am resubbing to Glossybox. Yep..smh, I have a problem! Let's see if I can try and hold off purchases the rest of the month. I'm close to needing to reorder some foundation, bb cream, and moisturizer..but those are staples.

Disaster averted!  I took inventory last night and discovered some matte eyeshadows from a Bare Escentuals starter kit from like four years ago.  At the time I greatly preferred shimmer over mattes so I sort of forgot about them.  No longer feeling the urge to buy an expensive palette I have no need for.  

Thanks LisaLeah for staying my hand :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Score one for packrat instincts, yeah!

i just got off a no-buy from august 11th to december 20th (my birthday)... totally random dates, lol. i didn't do super bad, but I did break and buy 1 limited edition color tattoo and some hard candy holiday sets (we don't have hard candy at my walmart usually)! But, I still have toooo much makeup! I used up 83 or 84 products on the first one, but my goal was 115... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

oh well, hopefully i'll be done by april, and it's a good thing I just got some new makeup!
laughing.gif

wow, that is seriously impressive!  this is the first month i've ever tried a no-buy (which quickly turned into a low-buy), it's only 12 days in and I'm already dying!  

lol, i think my no-buy will slowly trail into a low-buy because I'm addicting to looking at Sephora... hey, at least I usually shop from the clearance section! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Helped my mom pick up a foundation I love at CVS. Looked at the new displays, but kept telling myself, "This is icky, you don't buy icky things." It worked.

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That Stila palette has many more shimmers than mattes. So I wouldn't obsess about it!

If you really NEED a matte shadow and your on a low buy...try Wet and Wild. Believe it or not their mattes are surprisingly not bad. (not great, but suitable for sure) and they cost $2!
In the Know is all matte, no shimmers.  I have it and it's nice. 

But don't buy it if you are on a no buy
smile.gif

So I went and bought a Color Tattoo from maybelline today, but that was all lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I dont think I will need anything else this month... or i hope i dont

I am putting myself on this no buy until match 1 st I need help haha please please I really hope urban decay does not switch up the sale items any time soon because that would be my biggest jump :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am really hoping I can save some money and use some products up in the mean time,

PinkSoFoxy on Youtube has started "Make Out 2013".  She's committing to buying only 10 makeup items this year including replacements, and some other youtubers are joining in.  Don't know if I could do that...  But I'm watching the declutter videos she's done over the past few months, and it kinda makes me wanna try!

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PinkSoFoxy on Youtube has started "Make Out 2013".  She's committing to buying only 10 makeup items this year including replacements, and some other youtubers are joining in.  Don't know if I could do that...  But I'm watching the declutter videos she's done over the past few months, and it kinda makes me wanna try!
ok, this is just the most incredibly awesome tip ever.  I have no idea who PinkSoFoxy is but I watched the video and started on her "declutter" series and it was exactly what i needed to help me through the no/low-buy!  She seems really sweet and so honest with her philosophy on why the need to declutter and reduce, it's very inspiring.  Also watching the videos as she cleans out her drawers and sorts everything into "keep" or "get rid of" categories is really soothing somehow....

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ok, this is just the most incredibly awesome tip ever.  I have no idea who PinkSoFoxy is but I watched the video and started on her "declutter" series and it was exactly what i needed to help me through the no/low-buy!  She seems really sweet and so honest with her philosophy on why the need to declutter and reduce, it's very inspiring.  Also watching the videos as she cleans out her drawers and sorts everything into "keep" or "get rid of" categories is really soothing somehow....

Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, I've been subscribed to Thekatieab for years, and in a video yesterday she said she was starting the "Make out 2013".  I couldn't even hear who she was crediting with the idea, but I searched and found PinkSoFoxy.  =)  I like her, too!  She definitely makes me wanna jump on the band-waggon and try a declutter and only-10-new-purchase year!  I hope she does lots of posts on how she's holding up.  She makes me feel like if she can do it, I can do it along with her.

Thank you for posting about her videos. I watched her decluttering ones and got so inspired. Just finished taking out four trash bags of junk. It feels so great. I don't know if I could only buy ten makeup products all year, but I think actively keeping track of my purchases would be helpful. I think I am going to make a list of everything makeup I buy this year. I think it will be good to have to reflect on it not only from month to month, but at the end of the year too. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Back