January 2013 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I stayed strong and left emptyhanded. Though if they're still there in a week I'm getting them.
LOL!

Wow it's Jan 25 already!  I remember feeling on Jan 2 that the month was going to stretch on sooooooo looooooong.  I haven't really picked an end date, but I really just need to be no/low-buy until I use up more stuff.  I've been a lot better this month about using up deluxe samples before going out and buying a full-size of something.  I did get weak and purchase more eyeshadows but they _were_ a great price.

I am patting myself on the back for resisting the awesome Lancome 7-pc gift-with-purchase though.  I'm dyyyyyying to have their Taupe Craze palette but honestly I'm sure I have most of those colors already.

I think for Feb I will just officially make it a low-buy rather than force myself into a no-buy!  Maybe by March I'll be stronger, haha.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Ross and they had so many huge Betsey Johnson bags for $35. Also, a really cute Street Level tiny purse (of which I don't have) for like $15. AAAnd a 7 pack Color Club polish set for $8.

I stayed strong and left emptyhanded. Though if they're still there in a week I'm getting them.
I couldn't resist. I went back and got the Street Level and the Color Club. I needed a small purse since my current purses are beyond huge.

UGH so tempted by the 20% off ulta code....
I know what you mean. I promised myself no more beauty stuff until spring. Then I got the 20% off postcard in the mail. I don't really need anything but I really want to use the coupon!

Ugh, those ULTA 4-hr gift with purchase codes are just killing me...they've been so tempting lately!

Yeah I caved too with the Cynthia rowley GWP on beauty. Com. I am definitely out of this club by a long shot. ( walks away head hanging with shame)

Originally Posted by wpbteacher8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I caved too with the Cynthia rowley GWP on beauty. Com. I am definitely out of this club by a long shot. ( walks away head hanging with shame)
LOL!  Remember though, this is a SUPPORT forum, so we won't let you hang your head in shame!  We'll just nod sympathetically, tell you we understand, and wish you better luck next time. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the way i curb my spending on beauty products is by making a list of everything I own lol. Every time I want a blush I remember I have 13 already and that keeps me from buying any :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi, my name is Denise, and I am a beauty addict.
icon_redface.gif

It was bad enough when the only brand I loved was Bare Escentuals. But a couple of years ago when Shiseido bought the company I started branching out. And now I have what can only be called a hoarding problem.

This month I resolved to cut back on my spending. I've eliminated my monthly sample boxes but kept two quarterly subs (Beautyfix and the QVC New Beauty Test Tube). Since color cosmetics are where I really need to cut back, I gave the Tarte eyeliner and the Mally lip gloss from the test tube to my sister. At the beginning of the month ULTA sent me a coupon for $5 off on a $15 purchase. I used it for hair color, the new Rocket mascara from Maybelline, and a new stick concealer from Cover Girl & Olay (the last 2 items because bloggers I follow recommended them).
icon_rolleyes.gif

Currently I am struggling with an overwhelming desire to buy the Urban Decay Oz palettes. If they weren't excluded from my current 20% off at ULTA coupon I'd snatch them both up without a second thought. As it is, I have a burning lust for Theodora. I have tried talking myself out of it by reviewing the many many palettes I have of similar colors. Yesterday I got out my Naked palettes (1, 2, and Basics) and recreated the Mila Kunis look. I got out my other UD palettes (15th Anniersary, Mariposa, and BoS IV) and saw how almost untouched they are. 

And yet I still crave it.
eusa_wall.gif

i've been having an awful time not buying makeup!!! I keep putting things in my ulta and sephora carts and telling myself I need to finish my project pan first :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :(

anyone have any tips? I feel like i'm wasting a lot of time adding things to carts/wanting to buy and then remembering I really shouldn't lol

javagirl87, same here, I spend sooo much time online at Sephora and Ulta.  Since starting my Jan no/low-buy I think I've added a lot more stuff to my Sephora online shopping list than normal!  Sometimes it helps actually.  I put something in the cart, then a few days later look at it and think "why did I want that again?".  Other times if it's something that I still really want, I think about what stuff I have at home already that I need to go through before I'll allow myself to buy that thing.  It sort of works....

Welcome Denise, I think we all understand what you're going through :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't been able to stop - ugh! Once I fell off the wagon, I kept falling. I have 30 blushes. I ordered 3 more yesterday & spent $80. What the hell is wrong w/ me?

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

javagirl87, same here, I spend sooo much time online at Sephora and Ulta.  Since starting my Jan no/low-buy I think I've added a lot more stuff to my Sephora online shopping list than normal!  Sometimes it helps actually.  I put something in the cart, then a few days later look at it and think "why did I want that again?".  Other times if it's something that I still really want, I think about what stuff I have at home already that I need to go through before I'll allow myself to buy that thing.  It sort of works....

Welcome Denise, I think we all understand what you're going through :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Part of me wonders whether we'll end up buying more just because we put a limit on ourselves lol. we always want what we can't have right? lol

I've placed a couple of things on my want list, and I think i'll reward myself with them when i'm done with my project pan. maybe that'll convince me to wait it out!

I surrendered to the siren song of Theodora and drove to my closest ULTA, only to find it wasn't out yet. Undaunted, I got back in the car and drove 5 more miles to Sephora. They didn't have it out yet either, but the ever-so-helpful sparklecrack dealer went in the back and brought them out to show me, and said I could buy them today if I wanted. It took all my strength to say "thanks, but no" and leave. Partly because my ULTA is having a special Urban Decay event this Saturday and will have a premium GWP if you spend $75. If I can't use my coupon I might as well get a gift! Also I prefer ULTA's rewards program over Sephora's.

Then I promptly marched into Bare Escentuals and bought The Finer Things holiday READY palette on clearance for $25.
help.gif

I surrendered to the siren song of Theodora and drove to my closest ULTA, only to find it wasn't out yet. Undaunted, I got back in the car and drove 5 more miles to Sephora. They didn't have it out yet either, but the ever-so-helpful sparklecrack dealer went in the back and brought them out to show me, and said I could buy them today if I wanted. It took all my strength to say "thanks, but no" and leave. Partly because my ULTA is having a special Urban Decay event this Saturday and will have a premium GWP if you spend $75. If I can't use my coupon I might as well get a gift! Also I prefer ULTA's rewards program over Sephora's. Then I promptly marched into Bare Escentuals and bought The Finer Things holiday READY palette on clearance for $25. :help:
Lol that was super funny! I wouldn't have had the strength you did to not buy it! When the sales people are super nice like that I always buy stuff. Sometimes I prefer to get the rude salesperson that way I think my purchase over a little more.

Well, even though we technically have two more days to go until I can really claim to be successful, I know I'll be so busy there won't be time to even think of shopping, haha. I've started to write down little lists on my phone with shades I might want from some of the new drugstore lines. I figure that way when I'm off my no buy in March I can have a calculated trip to the store and stay focused. Really had a great month. Looked at makeup a ton but never felt the urge to buy it. Feels great. Cannot wait for February. 

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

we technically have two more days to go until I can really claim to be successful
February is already doomed for me. TheBalm is back on Hautelook and I told myself I could have the Balm Jovi palette if I could get it for half price.
rocknroll2.gif

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then I promptly marched into Bare Escentuals and bought The Finer Things holiday READY palette on clearance for $25.
help.gif
I couldn't help myself, with the READY palettes on sale for $25 I had to snatch them up too!  Lucky you, I really wanted the Finer Things but it was sold out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I seem to be ok with stopping my purchases of most beauty/skincare items, EXCEPT where eyeshadow is concerned.  There's just too many pretty colors!

Back