January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@kotoko Yeah I'm a "newish" career gal myself. I've been working almost 2 years full time now but I am really realizing how much of my closet is still so unsuitable for my lifestyle. I work with kids so my clothes need to take more of a beating than they currently can while also looking professional and nice which is a very delicate balance lol. Yay for professional clothes! lol.

@jaylilee Yeah, finding tutorials of a said product in general, not just hauls of that product are increasingly few and far between. It's making me bummed because watching YT tutorials used to be my favorite way to destress from life but I can't turn to them anymore. Guess I'll have to focus on other hobbies! 

@debs15 Thanks. I'm not as far gone as that situation you described (Thank god!) but I have found myself in situations where I've thought, "I could by this item or pay an extra $50 on my CC bill" and the makeup has always won out and my debt grows through interest rates. I've also dipped into my savings more times than I care to remember just so I would have "cash" to pay for something. No more of that in this year. Definitely have started rearranging my stash and doing inventory on what I have. I had forgotten about so many things, particularly in the area of blush where I've gone a little wild. So much blush looks the same on me even if it does look different in the pan. As they say, people don't see the blush pan, they see your face. I need to not buy a single blush item for the rest of the year.

@meaganola Thank you for the warm welcome and I am definitely joining the Monday club come next week!

[@]loftmane[/@] "So much blush looks the same on me even if it does look different in the pan. As they say, people don't see the blush pan, they see your face. I need to not buy a single blush item for the rest of the year." I've never heard this but this is so true. Especially for me since I use blush lightly anyway. Just another reason why I don't need to buy any more blush. On a different note- I had cleaned out and organized my makeup storage, then last night I did the same to skincare and all my samples. Holy cow- I have a ridiculous amount of sample moisturizers!! Looks like ill be set for a long time!

@loftmane"So much blush looks the same on me even if it does look different in the pan. As they say, people don't see the blush pan, they see your face. I need to not buy a single blush item for the rest of the year."  

Ugh, this! So many blushes end up looking peach on me anyway that it's like "well, what's the point?" yet I still get sucked into it. 

I really just need one peach, one coral, and one pink blush, and that's it. Time to use up all the ones I currently have. 

I made an account on mint.com today to help me get a better visual of where my money is going, so hopefully seeing my makeup spending in graph form will help me save a bit more! My problem is that I convince myself that I NEED something when I really don't. For example: on NYE, I bought a silver maybelline color tattoo and a UD glitter liner, just for that night. I could have done a very similar look with just my eye shadows and no extra glitter, but I bought them anyway and I'll probably only use them rarely because silver and glitter really only work for certain occasions for me. I *should* be ok for a no buy this month, as I pretty much have every color of the rainbow that I would realistically want to wear ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   I passed my "hoard" on to her! It felt so much better than "I'll hang on to it to try to trade it" -- her face was priceless! I love sharing! I think I'm going to try to do that regularly!

I so agree with you on sharing!  I have two teenage cousins and my coworker has two teenage daughters so I more often than not have someone to pass things onto.  I'm going to start a trade list soon because I do always have some stuff that doesn't fit their preferences. 

Yay! I finally made a post outlining my low buy goals for the year 2014! See here: https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138213/no-buy-low-buy-goals-for-2014/60#post_2253737 I'll probably update it with new ideas on how to stay on my no buy, other little rewards, and to update my wantlist.

I'm still doing a no buy for January, and still going strong! I did have to buy a textbook for a class I'm taking this semester, but I got it for only $25! Thank you cheapesttextbooks!

Very good points about youtube. You're right, a lot of the main YT beauty gurus pretty much just .... sell to you, whether they mean to or not. I like the good tip here and there on good products, but makeup isn't all about finding the next best thing. I want to find what works best for ME. I need to get myself together and find two good, simple go-to looks for my eyes. I've been watching lots of beauty tutorials, but I find it's still difficult to actually do my eyeshadow without it looking a mess. Everything else I'm OK with, but I need to really refine my eyeshadow and liner skills.

Hello, I'm joining in too. I decided to go on a 100 day no-buy, so no shopping for me until 10th April.

My main reason for no-buy is the fact that in the last couple of months I bought over 100 nail polishes and didn't even had a chance to wear half of them. I would like to have some time to enjoy the products I have, not just hoard it.

The rule is simple: You don't buy any cosmetic (be it skin-care, fragrance, make-up or hair care) product. Other than mini Essies, no nail polish. I have enough shower gels, body lotions, shampoos... to last me a year. I don't even have to mention make-up (especially eyeshadows to which I am addicted).

I did put several exceptions: I can buy Essie mini nail polish sets (from spring and resort collection). I can also buy Naked 3, but only if I can get it 20% off.

I made my last purchase on 31st December and didn't buy anything since. I hope I can stick to it, because I almost failed yesterday. I put some nail polish in the cart and tried to talk myself into purchasing it by saying that it probably still 31st somewhere in the Pacific time zone. Today I went out for a walk, so there was nothing to tempt me there.

Quote: Originally Posted by fleurissante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hello, I'm joining in too. I decided to go on a 100 day no-buy, so no shopping for me until 10th April.

My main reason for no-buy is the fact that in the last couple of months I bought over 100 nail polishes and didn't even had a chance to wear half of them. I would like to have some time to enjoy the products I have, not just hoard it.

The rule is simple: You don't buy any cosmetic (be it skin-care, fragrance, make-up or hair care) product. Other than mini Essies, no nail polish. I have enough shower gels, body lotions, shampoos... to last me a year. I don't even have to mention make-up (especially eyeshadows to which I am addicted).

I did put several exceptions: I can buy Essie mini nail polish sets (from spring and resort collection). I can also buy Naked 3, but only if I can get it 20% off.

I made my last purchase on 31st December and didn't buy anything since. I hope I can stick to it, because I almost failed yesterday. I put some nail polish in the cart and tried to talk myself into purchasing it by saying that it probably still 31st somewhere in the Pacific time zone. Today I went out for a walk, so there was nothing to tempt me there.
That's some really creative rationalizing, kudos for resisting!

Yay, end of January 2nd, and the only thing I bought today was a pass to the con I'm saving money for!  This was a planned purchase, so it doesn't count against me.  I didn't even buy *lunch*.  I received an order from Sephora that included the NARS points perk set with Orgasm blush, Copacabana illuminator, Gold Digger lip gloss, and eyeshadow primer, and I think I might be in love with Orgasm now (it always looks too yellow when I test it on my hand in-store, but at home, it's a whole lot pinker).  This makes me want to run out and buy a full-sized or at least a dupe.  BUT!  What in the world makes me think I'll finish this?  The only things I ever use up are non-fun-color items like clear nail poilish, lip balm, and bb cream.  I can get a new full-sized version when I use this one up.  *If* I use this one up.

(The NARS goodies will be going into my birthday box with my UD Naked 3 palette.  Yes, I'm saving it all for that day.  It's only a little over two weeks away!  I have plenty of other toys I haven't played with yet that I should go ahead and try.)

Yay, end of January 2nd, and the only thing I bought today was a pass to the con I'm saving money for!  This was a planned purchase, so it doesn't count against me.  I didn't even buy *lunch*.  I received an order from Sephora that included the NARS points perk set with Orgasm blush, Copacabana illuminator, Gold Digger lip gloss, and eyeshadow primer, and I think I might be in love with Orgasm now (it always looks too yellow when I test it on my hand in-store, but at home, it's a whole lot pinker).  This makes me want to run out and buy a full-sized or at least a dupe.  BUT!  What in the world makes me think I'll finish this?  The only things I ever use up are non-fun-color items like clear nail poilish, lip balm, and bb cream.  I can get a new full-sized version when I use this one up.  *If* I use this one up. (The NARS goodies will be going into my birthday box with my UD Naked 3 palette.  Yes, I'm saving it all for that day.  It's only a little over two weeks away!  I have plenty of other toys I haven't played with yet that I should go ahead and try.)
Good for you. I did the same. I put back the sephora favorites set back for one of those rainy days in February. I didn't spend anything today. But I'm going to need to go to the grocery store and Target this weekend. But I'm working on a list. Normally I just throw stuff in there and next thing you know 100.00.

YAY! Today I did really well! I was tempted by Sephora because it's my birthday month, and I wanted to get the gift, but all the things I was going to buy were sold out. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also saw they have this other gift thingy, that I wanted to get, but to get both of those, I'd have to basically buy things I don't need. So, I closed my cart and I'm just going to see if I can wait until what I want is back in stock, or I'll head to the Sephora in JCPenny store to pick up my free b-day gift.

So no purchases!

Plus, I am selling a few things on Ebay to offset some of my crazy spending lately. I feel good!

I already flopped! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I went to Sephora to give in and pick up Naked 3 after searching on the store locator to make sure my local Sephora had it in stock. When I got there, of course, it was all sold out. Even the display had been taken down temporarily. One would think that I would be thanking the heavens and seeing it as a sign that I need to put that cash back in my wallet and leave but no. I was so upset that I made the extra trip after work, especially with a snow storm imminent, that I rage!bought two lipsticks I did not need just because I was so annoyed to be leaving empty-handed. 

Moral of the story is: Sephora's store locator function sucks, and I feel like crap. The small consolation is the lipsticks I purchased are probably two of the most flattering summery shades I now own in my stash lol. I will likely live in them come May. 

Hopefully this was a minor fall of the bandwagon :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't brought makeup or skincare in two days! I haven't been tempted by anything. I want Naked 3. Last year, I went to Ulta and swatched it, now I need want it. I told myself that if I am successful at my low buy through March, I will buy it as a graduation present.

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I already flopped! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I went to Sephora to give in and pick up Naked 3 after searching on the store locator to make sure my local Sephora had it in stock. When I got there, of course, it was all sold out. Even the display had been taken down temporarily. One would think that I would be thanking the heavens and seeing it as a sign that I need to put that cash back in my wallet and leave but no. I was so upset that I made the extra trip after work, especially with a snow storm imminent, that I rage!bought two lipsticks I did not need just because I was so annoyed to be leaving empty-handed. 

Moral of the story is: Sephora's store locator function sucks, and I feel like crap. The small consolation is the lipsticks I purchased are probably two of the most flattering summery shades I now own in my stash lol. I will likely live in them come May. 

Hopefully this was a minor fall of the bandwagon :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
It's okay. Just get back up and try again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's okay. Just get back up and try again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
This!  What I try to do when I try to do something for an extended period of time and fail almost immediately:  Figure out how long I lasted the first time, double it, and make that the amount of time I need to make it this time.  So you made it a day and a half the first time.  Now you just need to make it three days on your plan.  Then, hey, you're on a roll, so you might as well double that and go for six days next.  And, hey, that's almost a week, so let's just round it up to a solid seven days.  And, wow, made it through one week!  Let's see if we can double that.  No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.  Just sigh, shake your head, dust yourself off (literally or figuratively, whichever makes you feel like you're brushing this setback away), *call ahead* next time to make sure they have it and will hold onto it for you (added bonus:  If they will, you can go directly to the cashier, get your stuff, and leave without getting distracted by the lip tars/eyeliners/nail polish/etc.  It's one of the reasons I like to order stuff instead of buying in-store), and start building up those SRMs *now*.  

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.
Quoted for truth!!!

Many psychological studies show that willpower/self-control acts like a muscle in that it can both be strengthened and worn out. If you are just starting out (just like if you were training for a marathon after not exercising at all) it can be very tiring and you will inevitably slump a bit because when you tap that energy, it's out for a little while.

That's not to say don't try- because the more little steps you gain, the stronger your willpower gets!

There's a book out called Willpower that discusses this, and here's a quote from the author being interviewed:

"Willpower is, Baumeister argues over lunch, "what separates us from the animals. It's the capacity to restrain our impulses, resist temptation – do what's right and good for us in the long run, not what we want to do right now. It's central, in fact, to civilisation.""

I think that's an interesting little analysis.

Here is another helpful and insightful quote regarding self-control:

"In the short term, self-control is a limited resource. But over the long term, it can act more like a muscle. So when it comes to willpower, if practice doesn't make perfect, then at least it makes progress. Tierney says people who exercise their willpower frequently often have better self-control"

I just added this book to my list of books to read in 2014.

And it really gives me hope knowing this. It should give us all hope. Because here's why:

1. Knowing that if you make a small misstep and fail, it's not because you're a terrible person who lacks discipline. You just need to work at it. Keep going.

2. You know that you WILL get better at it, just by the act of making small resistance. In fact, a study showed that a group of people who were told to practice good posture for a week did better at decision-making the following week! That's astonishing!!! So literally, you can sit there staring at a piece of cake, not eat it, and then you will possibly be better at resisting an impulse purchase later! TOTES amazing!!!

Also, don't forget, ladies, about the power of the returns. If you slip up and buy something and you really feel you shouldn't have done it, don't use it for a while, and strongly consider returning it. You may feel much better if you do, and it might even increase your willpower for later.

Happy 3rd day of the year, everyone! BE STRONG!
inc.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This!  What I try to do when I try to do something for an extended period of time and fail almost immediately:  Figure out how long I lasted the first time, double it, and make that the amount of time I need to make it this time.  So you made it a day and a half the first time.  Now you just need to make it three days on your plan.  Then, hey, you're on a roll, so you might as well double that and go for six days next.  And, hey, that's almost a week, so let's just round it up to a solid seven days.  And, wow, made it through one week!  Let's see if we can double that.  No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan.  Just sigh, shake your head, dust yourself off (literally or figuratively, whichever makes you feel like you're brushing this setback away), *call ahead* next time to make sure they have it and will hold onto it for you (added bonus:  If they will, you can go directly to the cashier, get your stuff, and leave without getting distracted by the lip tars/eyeliners/nail polish/etc.  It's one of the reasons I like to order stuff instead of buying in-store), and start building up those SRMs *now*.  

Thanks Meaganola. This was really kind :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am beating myself up for this because last July I was able to complete a no-buy for that month with absolutely no setbacks so this makes me feel like I'm never going to stop spending if I can't replicate that. Not sure why it was a breeze in July but so tough now. Perhaps I am really feeling the effects of little sunlight and the cold weather lol. But I'm definitely following your advice of doubling every timeframe I get through! 

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's okay. Just get back up and try again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There's still 29 days left and tomorrow's a fresh start :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks lioness90 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have to confess that I keep thinking, "It's Friday! It's non-rent check payday! I can go out to Bed Bath & Beyond and get those holiday Maybelline Color Tattoos I wanted!" But... Aside from the no-buy thing, I ALREADY BOUGHT THEM. I actually have two Nude Pinks because I was going to give one as a present (I ended up not giving it, so now I have an extra). I think I just want to not be in my apartment all day tomorrow. Between my cold and hatred of holiday shopping crowds, I've been staying home a lot more than usual. Maybe I'll go see movies this weekend. I canceled my MoviePass, but I was told that it will still work this weekend, so I might as well use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quoted for truth!!!

Many psychological studies show that willpower/self-control acts like a muscle in that it can both be strengthened and worn out. If you are just starting out (just like if you were training for a marathon after not exercising at all) it can be very tiring and you will inevitably slump a bit because when you tap that energy, it's out for a little while.

That's not to say don't try- because the more little steps you gain, the stronger your willpower gets!

There's a book out called Willpower that discusses this, and here's a quote from the author being interviewed:

"Willpower is, Baumeister argues over lunch, "what separates us from the animals. It's the capacity to restrain our impulses, resist temptation – do what's right and good for us in the long run, not what we want to do right now. It's central, in fact, to civilisation.""

I think that's an interesting little analysis.

Here is another helpful and insightful quote regarding self-control:

"In the short term, self-control is a limited resource. But over the long term, it can act more like a muscle. So when it comes to willpower, if practice doesn't make perfect, then at least it makes progress. Tierney says people who exercise their willpower frequently often have better self-control"

I just added this book to my list of books to read in 2014.

And it really gives me hope knowing this. It should give us all hope. Because here's why:

1. Knowing that if you make a small misstep and fail, it's not because you're a terrible person who lacks discipline. You just need to work at it. Keep going.

2. You know that you WILL get better at it, just by the act of making small resistance. In fact, a study showed that a group of people who were told to practice good posture for a week did better at decision-making the following week! That's astonishing!!! So literally, you can sit there staring at a piece of cake, not eat it, and then you will possibly be better at resisting an impulse purchase later! TOTES amazing!!!

Also, don't forget, ladies, about the power of the returns. If you slip up and buy something and you really feel you shouldn't have done it, don't use it for a while, and strongly consider returning it. You may feel much better if you do, and it might even increase your willpower for later.

Happy 3rd day of the year, everyone! BE STRONG!
inc.gif

Thank you so much for this post. Seriously, thank you. Wow, I'm adding this book to my queue at the library too. I really, really think that if I can break through this then my quality of life will increase tremendously. Thanks again for the book rec!

Back