January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost made a purchase but I talked myself out of it.  It's only the beginning of January but my low-buy is going strong. Whew.  Hopefully I can say the same thing tomorrow!!  There are some awesome words of encouragement in this thread and that really helps a lot.   

Quote: Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Meaganola. This was really kind :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am beating myself up for this because last July I was able to complete a no-buy for that month with absolutely no setbacks so this makes me feel like I'm never going to stop spending if I can't replicate that. Not sure why it was a breeze in July but so tough now. Perhaps I am really feeling the effects of little sunlight and the cold weather lol. But I'm definitely following your advice of doubling every timeframe I get through! 

Thanks lioness90 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I think "after the holidays" emotional  blahness can also be a factor.  Try to build in other pleasurable activities to get that dopamine boost buying something gives you.  If it's a healthy activity, it will contribute to the will power aspect that eastofthesun was talking about.

I haven't been tempted to buy anything, perhaps because I'm focusing on the other behavioral changes I want to make.  My first victory today was doing yoga for 30 minutes this morning.  I want to get back into the habit of doing yoga/pilates 3-4 times a week, as it centers me and helps my twingy back out tremendously.  My second was rigging a standing desk at work, so that I won't be sitting for hours on end.  It's primitive but works
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think "after the holidays" emotional  blahness can also be a factor.  Try to build in other pleasurable activities to get that dopamine boost buying something gives you.  If it's a healthy activity, it will contribute to the will power aspect that eastofthesun was talking about.

I haven't been tempted to buy anything, perhaps because I'm focusing on the other behavioral changes I want to make.  My first victory today was doing yoga for 30 minutes this morning.  I want to get back into the habit of doing yoga/pilates 3-4 times a week, as it centers me and helps my twingy back out tremendously.  My second was rigging a standing desk at work, so that I won't be sitting for hours on end.  It's primitive but works
smile.gif

Oooh awesome! I want to do a standing desk too! I'm not sure if I can because I got this new monitor which is kind of huge. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But maybe I can angle it up and just elevate my mouse.

I like the way you think! It's like you are on the wavelength I want to attain! Hehehe. I'm going to have to check out your blog!

Ok, to everyone else, great job! Keep strong! Keep resisting that temptation! It's kind of weird, but when I read about how you guys are still keeping your low buy/no buy going, it makes me feel like I can do it too!

I did so well tonight! Had to go to sephora and exchange some perfume I got for Xmas and I didn't buy anything else!!! I just kept telling myself "do I really NEED anything else?" And I didn't! Yay!

I stopped by Sephora today to swatch some items I've been eyeing for a while and I didn't buy anything, but I did love most of what I swatched so I'll probably buy them when the next big sale at sephora happens

I went into ulta with a friend and looked around while she was getting some hair products, and didn't buy a SINGLE THING! Actually swatched the lorac pro palette and am glad I didn't buy it because I literally own like...all colors but a single one, which is actually just a dupe for mac quarry. 

I went to Fred Meyer and DIDN'T BUY ANY MAKEUP!  I did buy a bead box to store loose pigment jars, but I have maxed out the boxes I already had and currently have a bunch of the jars just kind of floating around, so this has been on my shopping list for a while.  I would just get too cranky to go to the sewing section and get one, so it's stayed on the list.  Everything else was groceries, although I realized I was so hungry (like blood sugar so low I was starting to shake) that I needed to just stop shopping, grab something for dinner, and get home.  So I did.  I'll do real grocery shopping tomorrow.  But first, I need to *plan* what I'm going to do for meals next week.  Planning ahead!  What a concept!

i was SOO CLOSE to caving. HSN sent me a $10 off coupon and I *almost* bought a Too Faced lippie for $11 and free shipping...but I didn't! It wouldn't let me because I guess it was part of some sort of "This Day Only" offer or whatever (idk what that means. i've only bought one thing from HSN) I guess I'm in the clear for the next 24 hours... I probably won't end up buying it.

YAY EVERYONE IN GENERAL, I am so proud of how well everyone seems to be doing!!! My low buy is also going well, though I did already eat out once in the new year... only 9 more times to go this month and I'm not even back at work yet where the big eating out temptation is, but oh well. Other than that, I have only spent money on some groceries and on a train ticket that I needed.   Quote:

Originally Posted by fleurissante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hello, I'm joining in too. I decided to go on a 100 day no-buy, so no shopping for me until 10th April.

My main reason for no-buy is the fact that in the last couple of months I bought over 100 nail polishes and didn't even had a chance to wear half of them. I would like to have some time to enjoy the products I have, not just hoard it.

I made my last purchase on 31st December and didn't buy anything since...

Welcome and good luck! I haven't purchased any polish since Black Friday, and actually it is going much better than I thought.  Having nails secret Santa helped A LOT but I've also been able to use some of the colors and strips I  haven't tried/sed and it's been nice- even fun! I am slowly coming to the realization that maybe I really don't need any more polish for real... other than a thermal.  Eventually, I  would still love to try a thermal.  However, that day isn't today for me 
cool.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This!  What I try to do when I try to do something for an extended period of time and fail almost immediately:  Figure out how long I lasted the first time, double it, and make that the amount of time I need to make it this time.  So you made it a day and a half the first time.  Now you just need to make it three days on your plan.  Then, hey, you're on a roll, so you might as well double that and go for six days next.  And, hey, that's almost a week, so let's just round it up to a solid seven days.  And, wow, made it through one week!  Let's see if we can double that.  No one can go from no exercise whatsoever to running a marathon without training, after all, and we're trying to build up our marathon-level spending resistance muscles.  It takes time.  

And a stringent low/no-buy is almost destined to fail if you just jump right into it in part because you haven't built up those spending resistance muscles -- but also in part because when you inevitably have a setback like this, you will just slump in defeat and give up on your plan...
This is great advice in general, and the last paragraph is generally true, in many areas of life not just spending.  Just take it one day at a time.  

One thing that sometimes helps is to take some time to think over a purchase if you can. Ideally this thinking would last a few hours at least, but if at a store, sometimes I find even a few minutes can be helpful.  Literally exit the store, and just spend 5-10 minutes walking around the block/parking lot or in another store that does not interest you at all.  No need to kill yourself meditating over the purchase during that time either- simply ask yourself at the end of the 5-10 minutes if you are sure you really want/need it.  Again, while you'd get 'better' results waiting hours or even days, sometimes even a few minutes can give perspective/the willpower to get out of there.  If online, back away from the computer or website and come back to it if you still feel you want the product later.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i've made it two days without buying anything! thats a start...right??
YES! Nice job!

Does anyone know how often Ulta does BOGO50 on Tree Hut scrubs like they have now? I don't want to break my no-buy since I still have half of a Boots scrub in the shower, and I don't want to hoard.

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know how often Ulta does BOGO50 on Tree Hut scrubs like they have now? I don't want to break my no-buy since I still have half of a Boots scrub in the shower, and I don't want to hoard.
No idea. Can you call them and ask?? I am sure they should have some sort of schedule...

Happy New Year, All!

Shout to to January Babies, I'm one too!  And since this is my birthday month, it will be a low-buy not a no-buy.  I am allowed to buy:

Makeup remover wipes (needed for travel from Jan 6-16) --already purchased these today for $1 from Big Lots.

Makeup remover (standard full size liquid when I return from travel) as I am now completely out of any makeup remover!

Fyrrinae Pixie Epoxy since I have no way of sticking my few glitter shadows to my eyes--If I can wear them, they can't ever get used...

Maybe some perfume from my list of ones I want if I find any of those at a good price.

No idea. Can you call them and ask?? I am sure they should have some sort of schedule...
I thought of that, but when I worked at bath and body works they wouldn't even tell us associates when sales would end or what next week's sales would be because they wanted us to freak about a limited edition sale and buy stuff. So I don't think ulta will tell me either.

So I've been lemming the lorac pro palette for a couple weeks. Went into ulta, swatched it, they were out of stock. Went over to look at naked 2 (I have 1), swatched it, was holding it in my hand as if it were mine and DID NOT BUY! I said to myself "what the hell am I doing? If I really want it, it can wait for another day." VICTORY!!! But really, I think I'm starting to actually change my whole attitude about spending money on makeup. Yayyy! But the lingering lems are still there. -sigh-

Agghhhh bath and body works cart is full but I'm trying to resist! I'm gonna go stare at my closet to remind myself how much freaking lotion and candles I already have...

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agghhhh bath and body works cart is full but I'm trying to resist! I'm gonna go stare at my closet to remind myself how much freaking lotion and candles I already have...
Try to finish 3 lotions before you buy another one. You can do it! resist! 

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I've been lemming the lorac pro palette for a couple weeks. Went into ulta, swatched it, they were out of stock. Went over to look at naked 2 (I have 1), swatched it, was holding it in my hand as if it were mine and DID NOT BUY! I said to myself "what the hell am I doing? If I really want it, it can wait for another day." VICTORY!!! But really, I think I'm starting to actually change my whole attitude about spending money on makeup. Yayyy!

But the lingering lems are still there. -sigh-

SUCCESS!!!

If it makes you feel any better, the lorac pro palette is SO dupeable. Chances are you already have all the colors, if not, similar. I went in because of all palettes, that one was the one that had intrigued me the most...walked out totally disheartened with it. I have the same color or variation of each of those in other palettes. They were all very basic. 

Naked 2 didn't intrigue me, and Naked 3, the one I had been looking at...was way too pink for me. Only a single color in it could I possibly wear, and it was a taupe-y color I already have a billion of.

Went to the mall and didn't even buy anything! I thought the bath and body works sale candles all smelled awful! I also went into Sephora to swatch a few things but got bored. Anthropology had $6 Deborah Lippmanns and I carried them around with me but ultimately walked out empty handed. I actually don't like DLs too much and they've been difficult to sell/trade. Plus, I frankened my own glittery polishes so I shouldn't be buying DL's anyway! Yay. Successful day!

My low buy rules: -Foundation/Bb Cream if I can find the perfect lightweight one for a decent price -Cheap wine coloured lippie/stain (any recommendations?) -no body washes, lotions, shampoos, candles etc have so many plus stocking stuffers! -25 VS gift card plus up to 25 dollars "overdraft" if I find some good sales at the semi annual sale. I cancelled Ipsy. I found I was getting too much make up and was consistently hoping for items I didn't get or that just didn't come in any bags at all. I want to tally up the items I got for the 13 months I was with them and and see what was good what wasn't. See if it's worth it. Side note to someone talking about waiting to buy N3 until March, if you wait longer, Chic week in April will give you a coupon, so that could be more motivation to wait :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I almost purchased some samples from Paula's Choice, but I closed my browser. I think I've been tempted nearly every single day of January by something but somehow I stayed strong!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loftmane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you so much for this post. Seriously, thank you. Wow, I'm adding this book to my queue at the library too. I really, really think that if I can break through this then my quality of life will increase tremendously. Thanks again for the book rec!
I'm so glad this helped you! I think you're right! I need to get with this too, and reading the article on that book just gave me so much hope!

@bowskt is Chic week an Ulta thing?

Also, to all the nail polish addicts, doesn't Zoya normally do an Earth Day thing in April where you can turn in old nail polishes for new Zoya shades? That's a good thing to look forward to as well, and  you don't even have to spend anything!

Congratulations to everyone who is resisting so well!

Latest posts

Back