January 2014 - No/Low-Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[@]eastofthesun[/@] it's a Sephora thing, 15% off for BI and 20% VIB I think

On the down side, I spent a whole bunch of money today.  On the up side, it was almost entirely things like a roasting pan (I've been wanting one for a while, and I had decided that if I happened across a Goodwill that happened to have one for under ten bucks, I would get it, and I did!), three tops for work at Macy's (full price would have been $190, and I paid less than $45), taco seasoning (there has *got* to be some ground turkey in my freezer!), and kitty litter.  I did buy two eyeshadows and a nail polish, but the shadows were essence trend edition (permanently on the exceptions list even during a no-buy!), and the nail polish is being discontinued (except, whoops, I already have it.  On the up side, it was only a buck, and I can save it for a present for a _Veronica Mars_ fan since the shade is called hello marshmallow).  I made it out of the B&BW sale and not one but *two* Sephoras (Sephorae?) with only a newfound hatred of B&BW and the Sephora birthday freebie.

Tomorrow:  Cleaning day, which will mean not shopping simply because I'll be busy *doing* things.  I'll tackle the living room and the huge pile of laundry in my bedroom that I haven't bothered folding/hanging up/putting away because it's been a weird couple of weeks at work with split weeks where we could wear jeans every day.  I should also dig around in the freezer and see what I have to look forward to for dinner this week.  I'm fairly certain I have at least one chunk of pork shoulder that I can thaw and toss in the slow cooker.  I'm also planning on figuring out what to do for lunch this week.  I want to not buy lunch every day like I usually do.  If I had more freezer space, I would make a vat or two of soup and a batch of all-purpose meat sauce, but the freezer is full, so I need to figure out whether that stuff is even edible any more.  I'm pretty sure I have stuff in there that I brought with me when I moved into this apartment -- in 2009.  That needs to *go*.  I also want to start putting five perfume oils each Sunday up on eBay.  The big challenge is going to be picking out which ones to put up.

(Ooh, _Grimm_ has a Russian plotline this week.  This is indeed an area with a large Russian community, and I think I'm in the part of town with the highest concentration.  I know of at least three different Russian stores within three miles of my apartment.  I wonder if the show will have any of those shops!  Time to get snacks and settle in with Hulu.  And a snoring cat.  I cannot believe a sound this loud is coming out of a critter that small!)

I went to target today and didn't even go to the beauty section. I spent 16 dollars out of pocket for dog treats, pop tarts, oranges, coffee, and bottled water. I also bought some bra extenders. We went to Sears and I didn't even take my hands out of my pockets even though they had Land's End on sale for fifty percent off. I'm going to clean around the house tomorrow with a quick trip to the grocery store if the snow comes. All in all a good first week if no buy.

Quote: Originally Posted by bowskt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My low buy rules:
-Foundation/Bb Cream if I can find the perfect lightweight one for a decent price
-Cheap wine coloured lippie/stain (any recommendations?)
<snip>
Define cheap!  Are we talking Revlon or Wet'n'Wild?  For Revlon, their Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Smitten or Crush might be what you're looking for.  Wet'n'Wild has a new MegaSlicks Balm Stain out, and I have it in Lady and the Vamp, but it does have shimmer.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip> Also, to all the nail polish addicts, doesn't Zoya normally do an Earth Day thing in April where you can turn in old nail polishes for new Zoya shades? That's a good thing to look forward to as well, and  you don't even have to spend anything!

<snip>
Not quite.  Zoya sells their polishes (typically everything but the newest collection or two) for half price, and you send your polishes in for disposal (except you don't *have* to send them back).  It's not a free thing, and there's usually a six-polish minimum, if I recall correctly.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm so glad this helped you! I think you're right! I need to get with this too, and reading the article on that book just gave me so much hope!

@bowskt is Chic week an Ulta thing?

Also, to all the nail polish addicts, doesn't Zoya normally do an Earth Day thing in April where you can turn in old nail polishes for new Zoya shades? That's a good thing to look forward to as well, and  you don't even have to spend anything!

Congratulations to everyone who is resisting so well!
I also saw on ....cheap nouveau, i think?! can't remember -- but starting on the 6th (or ...16th?), Zoya will be doing their sale where you can get 3 nail polishes for just the cost of shipping....which i think is $12. considering how expensive zoya seems to be, this is one of their better deal, if you're willing to fork out shipping. 

I also saw on ....cheap nouveau, i think?! can't remember -- but starting on the 6th (or ...16th?), Zoya will be doing their sale where you can get 3 nail polishes for just the cost of shipping....which i think is $12. considering how expensive zoya seems to be, this is one of their better deal, if you're willing to fork out shipping. 
Great minds think a like. I just put this in the enablers thread.

I might have to break my low buy to buy some candles... I actually need candles. My apartment can use a nice scent lift and the glow in these cold cold days!! I realized I also spent a lot of money today. Went out to eat for lunch and also bought stuff for a wine and cheese night.

Quote: Originally Posted by chelsealady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great minds think a like. I just put this in the enablers thread.
Heeeehhee!!! I don't plan on getting anything, though I've never tried Zoya. I already have plenty of nail polish. But this might be something I try to keep in mind for next year when I am through a bunch of bottles. 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I might have to break my low buy to buy some candles... I actually need candles. My apartment can use a nice scent lift and the glow in these cold cold days!!

I realized I also spent a lot of money today. Went out to eat for lunch and also bought stuff for a wine and cheese night.
omg cold weather... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> here it'll be something ridiculous like 65 below on Monday (with windchill). Further north, they're already at 60 below AIR TEMP. Not even counting windchill.

Heeeehhee!!! I don't plan on getting anything, though I've never tried Zoya. I already have plenty of nail polish. But this might be something I try to keep in mind for next year when I am through a bunch of bottles. 
Me neither. But somebody else can take advantage of it. I like the Earth Day sale. Last year I got a ridiculous amount of polish for a good price. I doubt I will be taking part this year.

omg cold weather... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> here it'll be something ridiculous like 65 below on Monday (with windchill). Further north, they're already at 60 below AIR TEMP. Not even counting windchill.
Yup I don't remember what the latest number is for Milwaukee but I do know to not go outside!

Yup I don't remember what the latest number is for Milwaukee but I do know to not go outside!
We're not that far from each other! I'm in MN. 

I might have to break my low buy to buy some candles... I actually need candles. My apartment can use a nice scent lift and the glow in these cold cold days!!
I will send you some small ones with my next pen pal note. I am swimming in candles.

After my last blip, 2 days strong! Wish I could say four days but oh well. 
icon_razz.gif

The only good thing about about this terrible weather we've been having (and will continue to have if the weather reports are right) is that I haven't been tempted to leave my house save for absolute essentials like groceries. I've blocked all my favorite shopping websites from my browsers at home, too, so it's also hard for me to shop online. Which is a good thing! I've spent the few days at home rearranging my stash and discovering a whole lot of hidden gems that I plain forgot existed.

The biggest rediscovery was my Laura Mercier Artist Palette that I got back in November that had been sitting in its Sephora bag, still inside its box, untouched. I fiddled around with it last night and realized that I could create really similar looks to the ones that people have been doing with Naked 3. And here I was ready to break my nobuy for the 2nd time just to acquire it when I had something very close sitting (untouched!!!) in my stash already. How sick. If that didn't strengthen my commitment to enjoying my purchases and resisting new stuff then I don't know what will. It's terrible how much stuff I still have inside of their original boxes, barely touched, if not brand new. Why on earth am I saving them like that and for what?

I also went through my stash to weed out anything that had gone bad. Most of my MAC l/s smelled like a Crayola box. I must have thrown out close to fifteen of them. Well, at least I now have some items for B2M when I run out of HG e/s. But I'm so mad that many of the lipsticks were barely used before they turned. I can't say I blame anyone but myself for having so many and not using them. I'm going to be a lot more careful about lipstick purchases as mine have been going bad so much faster than I can use them. 

Anyway, this experience is so eye-opening and I'm very thankful to have found this board and you wonderful people to share this with! 

Excellent job so far everyone!!

I have to go on a strict no buy (besides my subs) for a while...so far so good...I have two lush orders comiing in, but they don't count as I ordered them in December. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My low buy rules: -Foundation/Bb Cream if I can find the perfect lightweight one for a decent price -Cheap wine coloured lippie/stain (any recommendations?)
Define cheap!  Are we talking Revlon or Wet'n'Wild?  For Revlon, their Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Smitten or Crush might be what you're looking for.  Wet'n'Wild has a new MegaSlicks Balm Stain out, and I have it in Lady and the Vamp, but it does have shimmer.
I just Google crush and it's the colour I'm dreaming of! Revlon is a little bit expensive for drugstore (especially in Canada, some Revlon lip products go for 12 dollars in my local stores, I could get MAC for not a whole lot more...) but I'll have to keep my eyes open for sales and coupons! Thanks for the suggestion :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yay, I just listed five bottles of perfume oil on eBay!  I considered that part of my low-buy goal for the weekend.  *And* I just discovered how to compose an auction on my laptop and add the photo on my phone, so this is going to make it *much* easier to list groupings of items, like random lots of unused haircare/skincare (Allure boxes, ugh!  I did get my money's worth, but there are still a lot of things in those boxes I can't use!) and full Birchboxes.

s I G H

So. My plans to go to China this month fell through which, seeing as it's already the 5th and I don't have a visa or tickets purchased yet, is kind of obvious, but it stems from some awful personal/family problems I have that aren't going to get resolved (ever). I'm really bummed and I don't want to be home because it's a toxic atmosphere and I'm just deeply unhappy right now. I mean I could still go by myself, but it'll be really expensive and rushed, and I need to make plans for other things.

I start a new job on Feb 3rd (which was set that late instead of in the middle of this month because I thought I was going to China), and I should make plans for that. I need to move out. I'm occupying my time with learning to code in some new languages, some writing and helping people edit their stories, watching movies/tv shows I like come back on, and working from home still, but I'm really sad. I have seasonal affective disorder, and I'm not depressed right now, but I always have to watch out for it and all the snow and cold lately and the bummer personal events really don't help.

Buying makeup is an easy pick-me-up for me, but I don't even see anyone anymore. I think the last time I left the house was over a week ago. I don't have any friends here, and the last time I had lunch with a but I thought was a friend (middle of Dec) he said some extraordinarily objectionable things about women and I'm like WOW. I don't have anyone to see so if I go out, it's for personal affairs, and what else -- to buy more stuff I don't need that people won't see me in. I live so far out in the suburbs of DC right now it's hard for me to do anything or go to events. The only person who I've seen in the last two weeks is, like, my dad, who's extremely hostile and will, unprovoked, say/do really shitty things to me.

I don't want buying things to be an emotional crutch for me. I haven't bought anything since my clothing order in the 30th, but I'm definitely making eyes at Birchbox (16th month --- 25% code --- more points -- etc) and the Zoya sale and and etc etc. I'm definitely going to pick up GB so i can get the BB sponge, but I think that'll be my only beauty-related purchase this month.

I'm actually really self-disciplined so it's not going to be a problem (example: my best friend sent me some specialty chocolates for my birthday, and there were only 5 so I ate one a day over 5 days >.>), but I have ADHD so I just... can't do things efficiently. Meaning I keep opening up tabs and just wasting that time looking at things even though I know I'm not buying anything. ka;sjdf;lajs just i'm really sad and lonely and unhappy and frustrated. Buying stuff won't make me any of those less, but. You know.

Thanks for reading (if you did).

Oh honey!

Yes, I read it.  The whole thing!  I really hope things start looking up for you soon.  I'm sorry your trip fell through, especially for those reasons.  Could you contact your new job and start it early?  Or take the time to go on a trip (not necessarily to China, but maybe someplace warm to give yourself a break from the seasonal sadness?)  Or spend the time creating new and fantastic looks with the makeup you already have?

I'm glad you have great self-control, it may be a good idea to make some rules for yourself (about purchasing items) *now* to get through the next few weeks. And in any case, I hope that you've able to make some great new friends at your new job - and that you let your friends here on MUT be here for you in the meantime!

[@]Kyuu[/@] I sent you a PM and read the whole thing, yo! I'm so glad you're sticking to your plans!

Latest posts

Back