January 2016 Birchbox **Spoilers**

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The curated box is the way to go for this PYS.  I think it's weird that 2 of the 3 sample choices are in the curated box.  Not a lot of choices.
I agree and find it annoying that they're forcing you basically to get the not that fantastic sample choices for December and again in January.  

Is it just me or are these sample sizes getting smaller each month???

I think I'm going with the curated box too. I usually want a surprise, but this one is really good.

I agree and find it annoying that they're forcing you basically to get the not that fantastic sample choices for December and again in January.  

Is it just me or are these sample sizes getting smaller each month???
I feel like the sample sizes that I have been getting lately are significantly smaller than the samples that I used to get when I first subbed. It's disappointing and irritating at the same time.

I am definitely getting the curated box this month! As much as I usually like the surprise, my surprises haven't been all that great since like September. I also agree that the samples have been getting smaller the past few months, which I guess is okay since I haven't really loved a box in awhile.

I'm sticking around for January to get the curated box. I'm a sucker for sheet masks and K beauty. I'm also pretty sure I'm using my points for either sheet masks or BB cream and I hope since the curated box ships early that I can use those review points with the $10 code and my other points before it expires.

I'm not interested in any of the stuff in the video, especially the K Beauty stuff, so I won't be re-subbing for Janauary unless later spoilers show something I think I must have, which happens almost every month.  But, really, I'm gonna really try to stay unsubbed for an entire month this time.   :lol:   

I don't like the new video format.  The video and the comments made by Birchbox to everyone who comments below the video that they dislike the silent video seem like a major advertisement for their Periscope channel.  I have YouTube, I don't need or want Periscope.  

I don't like the new video format. The video and the comments made by Birchbox to everyone who comments below the video that they dislike the silent video seem like a major advertisement for their Periscope channel. I have YouTube, I don't need or want Periscope.
I didn't read the comments, so I didn't notice all the periscope stuff (and tbh I don't even know what that is). I actually liked the video format - quick and to the point. Not that I hated the old format, I just have a limit on the number of times I can hear someone say "SO amazing!" within a 4 minute video :S

I didn't read the comments, so I didn't notice all the periscope stuff (and tbh I don't even know what that is). I actually liked the video format - quick and to the point. Not that I hated the old format, I just have a limit on the number of times I can hear someone say "SO amazing!" within a 4 minute video :S
Me too. I liked it. I don't know what periscope is or read comments but I usually watch the videos at work and I can't play the sound anyways and they all too long and not too the point.

Also I saw on MSA a yearly Birchbox is $88 on Rue La La. I think the 30% off Black Friday deal was better though, if I'm remembering it correctly.
Yeah- with the Black Friday deal it was $77, so about $6.41 a box. So from now on when I get disappointed or frustrated with minuscule or unappealing samples, I'm going to remind myself I only spent $6.41...

I like it when they talk about the products because you can tell a lot more from their tone of voice when they describe it then from them just holding up a product and smiling. Granted these are just samples but BB and ipsy are the only things I buy for myself.

That's true.  They are over-enthusiastic sometimes.  

Periscope is like a video version of Twitter? No?
Periscope is a personal broadcasting app, you have your own channel (like TV) and do live broadcasts and followers join, add comments, like etc.

You get a notification when someone you follow (like Birchbox) is live broadcasting, so that you can go watch or catch the rerun which disappears after a while.

It's a nice app, especially for the news. I follow some international reporters on Periscope and get the cover earlier than news whenever something important happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation about periscope @pearldrop. I wasn't sure what it was. I don't like watching videos to begin with because I usually don't have the time. I prefer reading/looking at stuff because I can quickly scan a page and see if there is something I'm interested in. The good thing about these videos though is that they are short. I want the curated box but I also like surprises so I'm torn. I have a lot of K-beauty products already but I guess more samples wouldn't hurt. I'm always looking to try new things. If I could just stick to what I know works, I wouldn't be drowning in samples and products. :lol:

I love trying K-Beauty stuff! I don't think alot of the products live up to the hype, but I think that for the most part the products are decent quality and have super fun packaging/presentation.  I got the special edition K box a few months ago and discovered the awesome Kill Black liquid liner, and I've been trying to get all my friends into sheet masks  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll have my eyes peeled for Birchbox to offer the January curated box for sale separately, and then I'll just go with complete surprise for my usual box.

As for the yearly sub pricing discussion up-thread, I've always gone with yearly subscription using a code (usually 20% off). I figure that by doing all my reviews/sharing, it's almost free, seeing as how I really do come across HG items now and then and can use my points to purchase. I think that BB has the best rewards system (compared to Sephora/Ulta/Ipsy/etc), and they have a nice selection of brands (high end like Laura Mercier, Jouer, Bumble&Bumble   plus K-beauty, international brands, new/up-and-coming brands.)  Sorry for going off track or sounding like a Birchbox shill.  :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
So, today they had the 20% off plus the deluxe makeup bundle with annual subscription purchase with code 20GIFT and I decided to take advantage of it since I'm a monthly subscriber. I'm wondering since I actually went into my account and chose the upgrade to annual subscription option if I'll get a duplicate December box too...I say this because in my cart it was showing a ship date of Dec 28. I sent BB an email just in case...I'm also wondering if this will affect my January sample choice cause I really want that curated box. Any ideas?

You mean you bought yourself a yearly sub? I think there is a way to just apply the money to your existing account. Otherwise you might want to message them because a new account could get a customer favorites as the first box regardless of when you sub. 

So, today they had the 20% off plus the deluxe makeup bundle with annual subscription purchase with code 20GIFT and I decided to take advantage of it since I'm a monthly subscriber. I'm wondering since I actually went into my account and chose the upgrade to annual subscription option if I'll get a duplicate December box too...I say this because in my cart it was showing a ship date of Dec 28. I sent BB an email just in case...I'm also wondering if this will affect my January sample choice cause I really want that curated box. Any ideas?
Good questions I'm thinking of doing the same. I think it'll be fine for sample choice but it looks like a duplicate December box, which is annoying.

Back