Julep August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want the plum eyeliner!
me too!! I love a plum eyeliner - as someone with green eyes, that is a great color.  I actually am going to purchase August's box because I do love the Boho Glam selection.  I haven't purchased one for a while and August's selections put me right back into it.   I also added Tammi , which is a lemongrass green - I am feeling very tropical with these color choices!

bohoglam.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Polish Lovers upgrade for me. With this box I will finally have enough Jules for a free upgrade box! I can't wait to see the fall collections!

I am just seriously wowed by this collection. With the exception of the eyeliners, I would say Julephit it out if the park this month!
Yes, this!!  I keep going back to the reveal email to click on it and see this image:  So pretty!! I cannot wait to get my box! the last time I upgraded & was this excited- it was the Oct steampunk Rebel set!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

box2.jpg

Wow, I'm exactly the opposite.  Total yawn.  I'm so bored with what they've become that I just sent this email (spoilered because a little ranty and long)

Hi there --

Although I filled out the nail polish survey already, I wanted to express my ongoing frustration with the Julep Maven program.  Every single month, it seems like it's the same rainbow (by that, I mean roygbiv) of colors, usually in creams, sometimes (like this month) with shimmery versions.  It Girl (the style profile that seems like it *should* be most appropriate to me) seems like the *perfect* reason to go with some way-out-there colors and finishes.  Take a shade of, say, blue and give us a duochrome, a Stardust, and a satin in variations of that shade!  Do an all-foil or all-duochrome box!  Cream-based glitters are a *huge* thing right now!  Why not dip into that pond? 

I was just going through the few boxes I *did* take, and they all skew to the experimental and edgy.  There may be a cream, but it will be an army green cream.  No reds or oranges.  This means no August, July, May, April, March, or January.  I did get a June box -- because there were interesting finishes, and they were not the usual rainbow assortment.  February was *fantastic* because the cream was the aforementioned army green, there was a gold glitter, and there was a dusty purple-with-hints-of-gold Stardust, and I even added on a couple of polishes.  Even if I was to switch to a customizable box, at the moment, there are rarely three shades in an *entire collection* that I really want. 

The good boxes that actually caused me to upgrade:  The May 2013 box was *stellar* even though I wasn't thrilled with the It Girl box (two of the shades were creams, and pretty traditional creams at that).  I think it was the first time I've ever upgraded to the entire collection because I wanted so many of the other things that it just made *sense*.  And the duochromes in the July 2013 box gave me hope that Julep would be rolling out more bonkers duochromes -- but that hope has been unrealized.

So, basically, I feel like I have to flat-out state that if Julep wants more of my money for these boxes, whoever does the curation is going to have to curate edgier It Girl boxes!  For the love of lacquer, no more reds, oranges, pinks, creams, or anything that can be described as "pretty" if there are other shades in the collection that are punkier and funkier!  Is it a color deemed not traditionally office-appropriate?  I work in an office, but "office-appropriate" is changing dramatically (I wore glittery tentacle nail wraps for a week or so back in April after a comic con because they were so gorgeous I didn't want to let go of *that* mani just because the con was over), and not one word was said aside from "cute nails!"), so I'll give it a whirl (as long as it's not a super warm color, just due to skin tone issues). 

I also feel like the new goal is not to keep existing subscribers but to get new subscribers and lock them into being unable to skip -- and then Julep won't have to worry about people like me who already *have* all of the old stuff and are just *itching* for new things but just skip most months instead of canceling because *surely* next month will be better!  There *must* be another box like May '13 or July '13 on the way!  I believe I subscribed on literally day one, and at one point, I received a card that stated I was one of the first hundred or thousand subscribers, so I have been through the whole evolution of the program, and I *know* the color curation can be better.  I'm just baffled as to why it's not.

(And I realize that I could just buy individual bottles, but I specifically want a *subscription*.  I want polish to magically show up in my mail box every month without having to go pick them out and order them.  Given the price of Julep even with the Maven pricing, I might as well just go buy Zoya rather than place a Julep order.)

Thanks,
-- meagan

I *never* send this sort of email, but this collection just pushed me over the edge.

Yes, this!!  I keep going back to the reveal email to click on it and see this image:  So pretty!! I cannot wait to get my box! the last time I upgraded & was this excited- it was the Oct steampunk Rebel set!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

box2.jpg
the bottom three colors are the ones I love the most!! I think they did an excellent job this month. I haven't purchased a box since feb of this year, I believe. I was going to do another month after that (forgot which one), but then changed my mind...

@meaganola    actually, I really like the letter & how you worded it.  As much as I really love this collection, I still think Julep needs to push the boundaries more and think outside the box.    I hope they take your letter seriously & they respond back to you!

I can't decide what to do.  I think the polishes in this collection are gorgeous.  India is such a stunner.  But... I just wouldn't wear a lot of these.  I made a box with Katie, Joyce, and the eye shadow pallet.  I already have the pallet but am thinking to get this extra one for my travel make up bag that permanently stays in my weekender bag (I travel regularly).

I'm torn, I have so many never used Juleps.  I haven't even taken last months polishes out of the boxes yet and I know that I have so many polishes that most rarely get used.  Even though I have unlimited skips, I have a hard time skipping.

I really like the whole collection and the maniversary/trail blazers/core classics boxes this month. I do totally get the frustration with the rainbow theme that's been going on for awhile now but I feel like it works for warmer months. Plus they gave us all fun finishes which makes it that much better (I would've hated this collection in cremes). I think next month will tell us if they're listening or not. I would definitely love a monochromatic collection and they need to shift away from their rainbow MO for fall anyway.

I can't decide what to do.  I think the polishes in this collection are gorgeous.  India is such a stunner.  But... I just wouldn't wear a lot of these.  I made a box with Katie, Joyce, and the eye shadow pallet.  I already have the pallet but am thinking to get this extra one for my travel make up bag that permanently stays in my weekender bag (I travel regularly).

I'm torn, I have so many never used Juleps.  I haven't even taken last months polishes out of the boxes yet and I know that I have so many polishes that most rarely get used.  Even though I have unlimited skips, I have a hard time skipping.
would you wear the colors more if it was for pedicures maybe?    I feel ya on the whole unused juleps- I'm trying to make it a priority to use that months julep actually in that month before I take the next month's box... (that way I dont feel so bad, when i get keeping more & not using last months)

So us grandmothered mavens can't pick the color of eye liner huh? I hope that's not the case but if it is... I will probably skip again. But I love the blue polish. Sooo shiny...
I was able to switch color. You just have to select edit.

I kind of wish I  had the ability to skip. While I love the colors, I'm just on a bit of a polish overload at the moment. I got a lot of the sales in June/early July and I feel like I just have SO much I haven't even gotten to play with that I don't need/want anything new. I was excited to see the Plie wand as an add-on this month since I signed up too late in May to get the June box (which I think is when it debuted? Or was it in May?) Either way, I don't have the Plie. What do you guys think of it?

Polish Lovers upgrade for me. With this box I will finally have enough Jules for a free upgrade box! I can't wait to see the fall collections!
I decided not to use my Jules for upgrade. I am going to wait to see what the fall brings. I honestly do not know what colors I want to see. Just something edgy and breathtaking. I have over 25+ unopened Julep polish. So why do I keep getting them? Your guess is as good as mines. I will unload around Christmas. The teachers love the boxes I make for them. I add candy, lotions, glosses and other various treats; it's like having their own custom gift box.

My first reaction is how terrible the swatch pics are this month, it looks like someone was overzealous with the Photoshop effects. The laziness on presenting accurate (or lack thereof) of swatches is temptation enough to make me want to cancel, but the skip option is my only reason for not pulling the trigger. I'm also annoyed that it's 10:15am Pacific time and the Boho Glam box, and both polish upgrade boxes are already sold out, and the time that my window email was sent was 8-something Pacific. They really need to get on the ball and open the window at the same time for everyone instead of catering to the East Coast crowd and opening the window for them first then staggering it for the West Coast.

The colors themselves are great if you don't already have these in your collection, but the more I look at them the more I'm reminded of Zoya colors and I'm pretty sure I have most of these colors from Zoya sitting in my Helmer. What's scary is that I can name off probable dupes for India, Waleska and Kirti off the top of my head without consulting my Helmer drawer of Zoyas being Tallulah, Zuza, and Amy respectively.

My first reaction is how terrible the swatch pics are this month, it looks like someone was overzealous with the Photoshop effects. The laziness on presenting accurate (or lack thereof) of swatches is temptation enough to make me want to cancel, but the skip option is my only reason for not pulling the trigger. I'm also annoyed that it's 10:15am Pacific time and the Boho Glam box, and both polish upgrade boxes are already sold out, and the time that my window email was sent was 8-something Pacific. They really need to get on the ball and open the window at the same time for everyone instead of catering to the East Coast crowd and opening the window for them first then staggering it for the West Coast.

The colors themselves are great if you don't already have these in your collection, but the more I look at them the more I'm reminded of Zoya colors and I'm pretty sure I have most of these colors from Zoya sitting in my Helmer. What's scary is that I can name off probable dupes for India, Waleska and Kirti off the top of my head without consulting my Helmer drawer of Zoyas being Tallulah, Zuza, and Amy respectively.
I thought the colors looked familiar. I have all three from Zoya with Amy being on loan to my Mother. I seriously doubt Julep dupes will be just as great with formula consistency. I could be wrong. I would love to see a side by side comparison.

would you wear the colors more if it was for pedicures maybe?    I feel ya on the whole unused juleps- I'm trying to make it a priority to use that months julep actually in that month before I take the next month's box... (that way I dont feel so bad, when i get keeping more & not using last months)
Sadly no, I'm more of a plane Jane kinda girl and stick to neutrals, reds, pinks, and pastels (and mint when I'm feeling really out there ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ).  I love this months collection, but I wouldn't wear the polishes so I'll just admire them from afar  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also try to use the current months polishes before the next month too!  But I was taken off course a few months ago when I upgraded to the Polish Lovers Upgrade and had a whole bunch of additional polishes.  I'm backlogged LOL

I had to actively talk myself out of doing the polish upgrade because I did one in June (I ended up regretting it slightly because I got rid of three of the colors quickly) and I can pick up the others I wanted later. Loooooooooove these colors. I went with the It Girl box and added on India, Neha, and Sushmita. I'll definitely grab Waleska and Tazeen at a later date, but I'm a little worried about Tazeen because it reminds me of Diamond Theory from February. As gorgeous as Diamond Theory was when I used it to do French tips over Myriam once (alas, I have no pictures), I had to fight to get that sucker off. The way Tazeen looks on the model's nails is what has the alarm going off.

Considering I'm at about 100 Julep polishes now and only about half of them have been used, I really need to start using more of them. This week's manicure used five colors and I'm only getting rid of one. SO HARD TO LET GO.

Latest posts

Back