Julep: January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left them a comment on their blog and I'll be surprised if they let it through *rolls eyes* They didn't let my bb cream comment go through (which basically was like, oh, it's nice you guys didn't compare any Asian BB cremes even though that's where they originated).

IDEK about Julep sometimes.

edit: what i wrote just in case they don't approve. *rolls eyes*

Quote: To be honest, I was a little annoyed to see that my “Marion was inspired by Marion Cotillard†guess come true, even though that wasn’t hard to guess.

I appreciate that Julep works really hard, but I feel like at least 50% of the time, the names and the polish colours do not match AT ALL. Many names intrinsically have a feeling attached to them, and this one was totally mismatched.

“Marion†as a name is pretty old-fashioned in general, and many fans think of Marion as a classically beautiful French actress — which should probably call on something like French colours or maybe even burgundy (see what I did there?) I would’ve loved to see a smokey burgundy with shimmer.

I’m just very disappointed since Marion is one my favourite actresses, second only to Olivia Wilde, and I definitely don’t feel like you did her justice. To be honest, it just seems like you created a colour and then scrambled to find someone to match it instead of working from her –> a colour.

Originally Posted by hammieee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T

Thank you
If you ever miss a box or decide you wanted another box, they have them up here for usually 2-3 months after: http://www.julep.com/maven-exclusive.html

Quote: Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here you go. Marion Cotillard in smokey blue.

I didn't say she doesn't look in smokey blue (and boy does she <3_<3 thanks for the pic). I wear a lot of black -- does that mean my name is an intrinsically black colour? I'm saying "marion", as a name and as an actress, does not intrinsically associate itself with that colour. Or feel "fitting" in the way, say, Zoya Pippa does for the colour.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't say she doesn't look in smokey blue (and boy does she <3_<3 thanks for the pic). I wear a lot of black -- does that mean my name is an intrinsically black colour? I'm saying "marion", as a name and as an actress, does not intrinsically associate itself with that colour. Or feel "fitting" in the way, say, Zoya Pippa does for the colour.
I was just kidding with the picture. The feelings and associations one makes when it comes to relating colors to names is 100% subjective. What's intrinsic to you is special to you. The only exception would be relating colors to specific people with a name such as ruby red to Judy Garland or baby blueish turquoise to Audrey Hepburn. But Judy on its own will remind me of my Aunt Judy and her big gold jewelry or will remind someone else of their worst enemy in high school and the bubblegum pink lipgloss she wore. You seem very passionate that they made a mistake because the name Marion doesn't remind YOU of the color they chose, but what is fitting to you is unique to you. I'm not familiar enough with the actress Marion Cotillard to know if that color fits her personality or any of the work she's done. But the name Marion alone could inspire thoughts of smokey blue (or whatever they described that polish as) in many people. If they put out a Katie polish that was bright orange I would not be so pumped about it, but I know my friend Katie who is a huge Vols fan would be thrilled.

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was just kidding with the picture. The feelings and associations one makes when it comes to relating colors to names is 100% subjective. What's intrinsic to you is special to you. The only exception would be relating colors to specific people with a name such as ruby red to Judy Garland or baby blueish turquoise to Audrey Hepburn. But Judy on its own will remind me of my Aunt Judy and her big gold jewelry or will remind someone else of their worst enemy in high school and the bubblegum pink lipgloss she wore. You seem very passionate that they made a mistake because the name Marion doesn't remind YOU of the color they chose, but what is fitting to you is unique to you. I'm not familiar enough with the actress Marion Cotillard to know if that color fits her personality or any of the work she's done. But the name Marion alone could inspire thoughts of smokey blue (or whatever they described that polish as) in many people. If they put out a Katie polish that was bright orange I would not be so pumped about it, but I know my friend Katie who is a huge Vols fan would be thrilled.
Woah, apparently conversation about the current month's box wandered into the January box. Oops.

Anyway, I do appreciate what you're saying, and you're halfway there to point my point, but it's still kind of getting mixed up with your own. My point was: there is a certain inherent "rightness" about colours attributed to certain names, and because there is a "rightness" there, in turn, has to be a "wrongness" as well. Let me take "Amy," for example, which I discussed a few pages back. I think Amy is a name that can be a lot of colours: a bright red, a bubblegum pink, a yellow, a vivid turquoise like Giselle's dress in Enchanted, a dark or vibrant blue or purple, a spring green (but not mint). Other the other hand, there are some names that feel clearly "wrong" for Amy (to me, at least): an oxblood type colour - either burgundy or aubergine, muted greens or blues. Clearly these are not all the same colour and my list of colours that I feel "is" an Amy colour is longer than my not-Amy colour  list. I'm not saying Amy's would all look good in the colours I feel are fit, or even like them. I don't like orange and never wear it, but I think it's more suitable to the name Amy than oxblood, even though I prefer wearing those colours. So to your point about Katie: it doesn't matter if your friend likes the colour orange and you don't, do you think that Katie (as a word, independent of either of you) can't call on the colour orange?

You're right that it is personally my opinion and experience, but to say it's all putting stock in nothing is also a little dismissive. I don't frequently subscribe Carl Jung's theory of collective consciousness, but this probably an area it applies (a little more on that soon). I mean, our names are our names, but more often than not, we do have a choice. What can we tell about Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, that she prefers that over "Kate". Or, one of my former coworkers, who'd rather go by Katie even though she wants to be called Kathleen because she doesn't want Kathleen to lead to people calling her Kathie? What's the difference between someone named Benjamin who insists on being called by his full name, rather than, "Only my mother calls me Benjamin?" We do have a collective consciousness about how people present themselves because there are always alternatives. The guy called Benjamin -- why does in one reality he say that only his mother calls him that, while in another he insists his friends also call him that (assuming that his mother calls him that), because his friends would have given him the example regardless of where he started out with.

I mean, this schpeal is getting too long, but I just want to end on a note about synesthesia. I don't have synethesia, so I can't attest to this, but there have been numerous studies that have shown a consistency of colour-letter associations, where, for example, the letter "A" is red. There might be minutuae differences between people, but there is also a consistency of rightness and wrongness. This isn't a thing that's made up either -- there is also scientific proof that there are implicit taste-sound pairings, which almost everyone experiences despite not having synesthesia (though this is an synethesic experience).

I recognize that I'm not going to win the battle on "Amy" or "Marion" here, because, who knows, maybe my personal experience has clouded my associations with these names, but I'm making a more general point. Part of the reason I care so much is because it bothers me -- not whom-is-attached to what, but I can't actually even enjoy the polish colours because the misassociation is so big for me. It doesn't matter because I don't like wearing blue polish anyway, but another example -- Zoya Jade, I couldn't, just because of the mental weirdness. And there is even such a thing as red jade.

super tl;dr NO1CURR I know

Woah, apparently conversation about the current month's box wandered into the January box. Oops. Anyway, I do appreciate what you're saying, and you're halfway there to point my point, but it's still kind of getting mixed up with your own. My point was: there is a certain inherent "rightness" about colours attributed to certain names, and because there is a "rightness" there, in turn, has to be a "wrongness" as well. Let me take "Amy," for example, which I discussed a few pages back. I think Amy is a name that can be a lot of colours: a bright red, a bubblegum pink, a yellow, a vivid turquoise like Giselle's dress in Enchanted, a dark or vibrant blue or purple, a spring green (but not mint). Other the other hand, there are some names that feel clearly "wrong" for Amy (to me, at least): an oxblood type colour - either burgundy or aubergine, muted greens or blues. Clearly these are not all the same colour and my list of colours that I feel "is" an Amy colour is longer than my not-Amy colour  list. I'm not saying Amy's would all look good in the colours I feel are fit, or even like them. I don't like orange and never wear it, but I think it's more suitable to the name Amy than oxblood, even though I prefer wearing those colours. So to your point about Katie: it doesn't matter if your friend likes the colour orange and you don't, do you think that Katie (as a word, independent of either of you) can't call on the colour orange?   You're right that it is personally my opinion and experience, but to say it's all putting stock in nothing is also a little dismissive. I don't frequently subscribe Carl Jung's theory of collective consciousness, but this probably an area it applies (a little more on that soon). I mean, our names are our names, but more often than not, we do have a choice. What can we tell about Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, that she prefers that over "Kate". Or, one of my former coworkers, who'd rather go by Katie even though she wants to be called Kathleen because she doesn't want Kathleen to lead to people calling her Kathie? What's the difference between someone named Benjamin who insists on being called by his full name, rather than, "Only my mother calls me Benjamin?" We do have a collective consciousness about how people present themselves because there are always alternatives. The guy called Benjamin -- why does in one reality he say that only his mother calls him that, while in another he insists his friends also call him that (assuming that his mother calls him that), because his friends would have given him the example regardless of where he started out with. I mean, this schpeal is getting too long, but I just want to end on a note about synesthesia. I don't have synethesia, so I can't attest to this, but there have been numerous studies that have shown a consistency of colour-letter associations, where, for example, the letter "A" is red. There might be minutuae differences between people, but there is also a consistency of rightness and wrongness. This isn't a thing that's made up either -- there is also scientific proof that there are implicit taste-sound pairings, which almost everyone experiences despite not having synesthesia (though this is an synethesic experience). I recognize that I'm not going to win the battle on "Amy" or "Marion" here, because, who knows, maybe my personal experience has clouded my associations with these names, but I'm making a more general point. Part of the reason I care so much is because it bothers me -- not whom-is-attached to what, but I can't actually even enjoy the polish colours because the misassociation is so big for me. It doesn't matter because I don't like wearing blue polish anyway, but another example -- Zoya Jade, I couldn't, just because of the mental weirdness. And there is even such a thing as red jade. super tl;dr NO1CURR I know
clearly the colors matching names is subjective, though as multiple people (including Julep) disagree with you .

You're right that it is personally my opinion and experience, but to say it's all putting stock in nothing is also a little dismissive. I don't frequently subscribe Carl Jung's theory of collective consciousness, but this probably an area it applies (a little more on that soon). I mean, our names are our names, but more often than not, we do have a choice. What can we tell about Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, that she prefers that over "Kate". Or, one of my former coworkers, who'd rather go by Katie even though she wants to be called Kathleen because she doesn't want Kathleen to lead to people calling her Kathie? What's the difference between someone named Benjamin who insists on being called by his full name, rather than, "Only my mother calls me Benjamin?" We do have a collective consciousness about how people present themselves because there are always alternatives. The guy called Benjamin -- why does in one reality he say that only his mother calls him that, while in another he insists his friends also call him that (assuming that his mother calls him that), because his friends would have given him the example regardless of where he started out with.

I mean, this schpeal is getting too long, but I just want to end on a note about synesthesia. I don't have synethesia, so I can't attest to this, but there have been numerous studies that have shown a consistency of colour-letter associations, where, for example, the letter "A" is red. There might be minutuae differences between people, but there is also a consistency of rightness and wrongness. This isn't a thing that's made up either -- there is also scientific proof that there are implicit taste-sound pairings, which almost everyone experiences despite not having synesthesia (though this is an synethesic experience).

I recognize that I'm not going to win the battle on "Amy" or "Marion" here, because, who knows, maybe my personal experience has clouded my associations with these names, but I'm making a more general point. Part of the reason I care so much is because it bothers me -- not whom-is-attached to what, but I can't actually even enjoy the polish colours because the misassociation is so big for me. It doesn't matter because I don't like wearing blue polish anyway, but another example -- Zoya Jade, I couldn't, just because of the mental weirdness. And there is even such a thing as red jade.

super tl;dr NO1CURR I know
As soon as I saw this I did go...tldr! But I still read it! I get the name thing my full name and I can't believe I'm saying this is: Maria Gabriela(I'm hispanic, we have 2 names and 2 last names, some older people even has 3 names w.e)...anyways calling me by my first name is an insult! Literally! I despise it!!Calling me my whole middle name is not good either, cuz I feel like you are yelling at me or something, only a super/boss could call me that and it would be OK(though most just call me Gabi), whenever I meet anybody I say my name, but call me: Gabi or Gabs...either one is good, hence the "Gabi" under my  user name here. On video games my users have my name in it most of the times, cuz I like being called by my name...anyways...

I hadn't seen Zoya Jade before and when I saw the name I thought...GREEN! ofc...when I saw red I was like: huh? this doesn't make any sense!!! SO I do know where you are coming from :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I do relate Marion Cotillard to a burgundy kinda color...

I'm thinking a light purple, and the bf said light blue or yellow: for cookie. I thought something in the reds for Ashley and he said: gold on the copper side with orange flake, or maybe a warm green with a bit of yello...lol

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking a light purple, and the bf said light blue or yellow: for cookie. I thought something in the reds for Ashley and he said: gold on the copper side with orange flake, or maybe a warm green with a bit of yello...lol

Ooooooo, I like them all! Tell him thanks for the help! lol XD

Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

clearly the colors matching names is subjective, though as multiple people (including Julep) disagree with you .
I don't mind people disagreeing with me for the sake of discussion, or even being "tl;dr" but if you're going to bother replying, it'd be nice if you bothered to read what I wrote before making a commentary because you just missed the entire point :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just because a lot of people supposedly associate certain colors with names doesn't make them inherently right or wrong.

Our eyes don't even see colors the same way. It's all in how your brain interprets the information of the light waves coming in and it's completely subjective and not based on reality. Your brain fills in most of the information you see, it's not actually what is there.

I took color theory and it was crazy. They had a thing where they changed the wavelengths of the light shining on a piece of paper and your eyes would still see it as green light even though it was physically red light waves coming into your eyeballs.

In the end, it's just names on a bottle of nail polish.

If it bothers you that much, no one is forcing you to buy from them. Find another company that makes the names that go with the colors better.

Personally I don't even pay much attention to the names.

The thing is, they used to re-release the same exact color under a different name before the julep maven program even started. So that might be why the names seem inconsistent or whatever.

I have a few bottles that are exact dupes of one another but with two entirely different names because I bought a couple of sets back in 2012 before the maven was even around, and then they rereleased them in the maven boxes.

For me the names are just names, I don't really associate them with anything or pay attention to any of them when I get the colors. The only exception was when they released one that is my own name. But I don't even keep track of the names at all. For me they're just a way to sort my polishes and see if I have dupes of the same color or not. The colors are all I care about.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me for the sake of discussion, or even being "tl;dr" but if you're going to bother replying, it'd be nice if you bothered to read what I wrote before making a commentary because you just missed the entire point :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I did read the whole thing. I still disagree with you.

There aren't right or wrong associations of a color and a name, that is inherent in the term association. They are in no way linked except that people have drawn their own mental associations between two things. My name is Grace, and for some reason every company makes a Grace that is light milky pink. Would I pick that as my color to associate with? Hell no, I would choose a color like Deborah Lippman's Happy Birthday, bad ass and Glittery, its not my fault my dad got to pick my name and picked the stupidest most religious name he could think of, while my mom got to pick my brother's name and he is named William, after the bard. lets remember I am pretty sure they are making colors first and then naming them, so its not like they all sat down and tried to think of a color that screamed "so and so"

Also on a side note, I was planned to me named Ariel, after the sprite in The Tempest (sense a theme here, my mom is a total bibliophile) and female names are reallllly hard to come by in Shakespeare.. then The Little Mermaid came out, and ruined the context for my mother, who could not stand to have people think she named her child after a recent movie. (99% of people will say Mermaid, not Shakespeare when asked about Ariel.)

Which gets back to colors... you would think a red like her hair, or a blue green mermaid-y color, but if you associate something completely different, like Ariel as a woodland sprite, you would pick a grassy green, or other earth tones.

It's better to just let the names be arbitrary, because when you say a name can't be associated with a certain color, you sound daft.

I'm thinking that this whole color associating with names or vice versa is essentially up to the individual. Basically you'll associate it with what you've either visually or verbally connected it to the most. Like Jade for example (since we've been discussing that lol)...when people hear the word "Jade" they immediately think of the stone, which is various shades of green. So to see Zoya Jade and it be red is confusing. However, I was browsing the internet regarding that word and jade can also mean 'A bad-tempered or dis-reputable woman'...which totally makes me think of red right off the bat. When I think of Candace, I immediately think of a shimmery light gold, but that's mainly because my bestie is named Candace and that's the color of her hair! lol

Anyways, a lot of us will connect a name to a color that's most commonly linked to it, unless we personally have experience with visually seeing it linked to something else that has a stronger impact. We probably all have our own ideas, some similar, some completely different :)

I've had so much fun doing this though, I've gone through so many of my friends thinking of their relating colors XD

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking that this whole color associating with names or vice versa is essentially up to the individual. Basically you'll associate it with what you've either visually or verbally connected it to the most. Like Jade for example (since we've been discussing that lol)...when people hear the word "Jade" they immediately think of the stone, which is various shades of green. So to see Zoya Jade and it be red is confusing. However, I was browsing the internet regarding that word and jade can also mean 'A bad-tempered or dis-reputable woman'...which totally makes me think of red right off the bat. When I think of Candace, I immediately think of a shimmery light gold, but that's mainly because my bestie is named Candace and that's the color of her hair! lol

Anyways, a lot of us will connect a name to a color that's most commonly linked to it, unless we personally have experience with visually seeing it linked to something else that has a stronger impact. We probably all have our own ideas, some similar, some completely different :)

I've had so much fun doing this though, I've gone through so many of my friends thinking of their relating colors XD
I always think I should be an Emerald, since thats my birthstone, and apparently the trendy color of the year :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

but like I tell everybody all the time, my favorite color is glitter. just because its not part of the rainbow doesn't mean its not a viable option.

but another example -- Zoya Jade, I couldn't, just because of the mental weirdness. And there is even such a thing as red jade.
I hear you on the Jade thing - that's just weird lol. But I mean I'm not going to not be able to wear a polish because of its name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but like I tell everybody all the time, my favorite color is glitter. just because its not part of the rainbow doesn't mean its not a viable option.
     I remember when I was little my teacher wouldn't let me put "sparkles" as my favorite color on some project lol. I totally agree with you!

Oh and on the topic of nail polish names, I came accross a funny blog once called Stupid Nail Polish Names and the blogger is hilarious. She was on Jeopardy once and mentioned her blog there. I noticed it hasn't been updated since last April, but I sent suggestions of Illamasqua's "Load" and "Taint" for submission haha. http://stupidnailpolishnames.blogspot.com/

Back