Julep: January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by puppyluv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I finally got a chance to try out my Julep polishes last night. I can't say that I'm really impressed with the brush or formula at all, and definitely not for the price tag. After I noticed that the polishes are only .27oz, I was really really disappointed. These aren't even full size polishes compared to other brands! For $20 a month, I just can't see the value in this, even with the extras they send (I got some glitter that I will never ever use) and the great customer service you guys have talked about.

I tried to keep an open mind and let the polishes wow me, but that just didn't happen. I just keep imagining all those other polishes I could have if I spent $20 a month other places. With Ulta's buy 2 get 1 free deals plus the coupons they send out you could get 3 polishes of equal quality (which would also be almost twice the size of a Julep) plus buy yourself an extra for less money.

Another thing that kind of bugged me: even though I didn't get a chance to pick a January box because I signed up too late in the month, I was still disappointed in the color selection. I was hoping that maybe just maybe Julep could at the very least keep me up to date new polishes to match the seasons, but neons in the middle of winter? Come on! Maybe I just don't get it...
I'm not going to bother defending Julep, since people's thoughts are different and I have many of the same reactions you did, but here are some thoughts I've had since joining:

1) Have you ever finished a bottle of nail polish? I never have, even the 1/8 (0.125) fl oz Sephora by OPI ones. Julep ones more than twice the size of that, so you can get about 12-13 manicures from that. If you're going to paint your nails with that colour that many times, it's probably worth buying another bottle. Otherwise, it'll just be wasted polish and formula sitting in your stack like about 80% of my giant collection. Nail polish is also considered hazardous waste, so when it dries up, it's a pain or environmentally unfriendly to get rid of it. Just saying.

2) I'm not a huge fan of Julep's polish formula either, but they are trying for a higher standard when it comes to safety. They're also 5-free, like Zoya. Between Julep and Zoya, I'd pick Zoya every time, but Julep also has better and more frequent deals than Zoya. Also, if you got one of the welcome box, they might have older polishes, and the formula isn't as good on those. I was so unimpressed with the formula and brushes in my welcome box (August), but IMO they're improving.

3) Their rewards are much better too -- refer two people and you get a free box. Whether you like their polish or not, 2 polishes + 1 product or 3 polishes for free is pretty amazing. Especially considering it's pretty easy to get your friends to sign up too when the boxes are only 1c each? The closest rewards system, again, is Zoya's, in which you get 100 points for every share the love referral, but even then they almost never update their rewards. (I've been waiting for 4+ months to cash in my 1000 points for something.)

4) You didn't miss January -- http://www.julep.com/maven-exclusive.html you can pick one here, if you really wanted one. At the same price too.

5) Julep as a collective company works really hard. I have some issues with their CS, but I have to give them credit where credit is due. I mean, whether or not they succeed is a little dubious, but the fact that they usually release ~11 colours + 1 product every single month is sort of amazing.Considering the fact that most companies only release a collection of 6-12 nail polishes once a season, if not less often. Usually, their products are pretty awesome, which is what I mostly like about Julep.

Julep isn't for everyone, I agree. I don't think they're "amazing" and I don't think most people here think they are ~amazing~ either. But it is a fun service to have. If you don't like it, that's definitely your prerogative; you've tried it and now you know.

I didn't get my box yet I got an email saying it was shipped - and they shipped it to an address in California. I live in New York
icon_neutral.gif

Hey ladies!  I won a Big Red Bow set from Julep (!!!!), and was hoping some of you older subscribers could help me out.  Based on the picture, it looks like there is a product called Julep Reveal.  I think it's some kind of growth serum.  Did anyone get good results with this product?

Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got my January box yesterday. It was really cute, and I was really impressed, until this morning when I applied the cuticle stick. Now I have hives on my hands and hand and wrist wrinkles due to swelling. Thanks Julep. I was planning on cancelling anyway, but should I tell them what their cuticle stick did to me? I really hope these wrinkles go away over time. This sucks.
are you allergic to nuts? The stick has sweet almond oil in it. That's why I avoid most of their skin products. 

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wish they listed the ingredients on the website.

http://www.julep.com/shop/hand-and-cuticle-stick.html
I facebooked them when they had the foot scrub, and they posted the ingredients a day later. But yeah, you and I can't mess with allergic reactions. I told BB off for this too because I had an allergic reaction to something that didn't have the full ingredient list online. 

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

are you allergic to nuts? The stick has sweet almond oil in it. That's why I avoid most of their skin products. 
No. I'm not allergic to any of the most common allergens. I got tested about a year ago, and hundreds of the most common allergens came back negative. I think it's something in the "fragrance," ingredient. That could mean almost anything. I don't fault Julep for having some weird chemicals in their stuff, because they don't claim to be all natural or organic, but I really do suspect three is something really nasty in there. And it makes me not want to use their products (other than the polish) ever again. It's a bit ironic to get instant wrist wrinkles from a product that says "Restore the youthful appearance of your hands..." I still have the wrinkles, but they seem to be improving.

The box it came in has the ingredients listed, so they did their duty on that.

I did a search to see if other people were talking about being allergic to their stuff, and I found a girl on youtube who is a video blogger. She had a really bad reaction to something in their argan oil, when she tried to smell it and got some on her face. She now has to carry epi pens with her wherever she goes. I'm not saying it was Julep's fault. But wow, it put my wrist wrinkles into perspective.

I emailed Julep pictures of my hands/wrists and a really detailed description of what happened. I haven't gotten any reply from them yet, but it's only been a day.

Update: They sent me an email saying:

[SIZE=11pt]Hi (my name), [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thank you for reaching out to us. You are correct, we always appreciate feedback from our Mavens and Julep customers. We’re sorry for that uncomfortable experience! We are forwarding your experience along to our Product Development Team to see if adjustments might need to be made. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions, comments, or concerns and we would be more than happy to assist you. Until then, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day and shine on![/SIZE]

A little perky for the situation, but okay. I'll call in to cancel next week, when I am feeling less lazy.

KHas anyone received any orders that were purchased from the end of year close out sale yet? Anxious to get my polishes seems like I've waited forever:) though I know I haven't I just want them so badly!!

I did, and was missing two items that were on the packing list. I emailed julep on monday night and they sent me a shipping confirmation tuesday afternoon of my two items before they even emailed me back a response apologizing and saying they were going to ship out my missing items! I've never had to deal with their cs before and I have to say I'm very impressed!

I got the shipping notification for my end of the year sale order last week but it hasn't moved past "electronic shipping info recieved" on USPS' site. Which is really odd for them, normally my Julep orders get to me in a day or two. 

Not that I'm impatient or anything ;-) 

Ok thanks for letting me know I was worried mine was lost or so:( I have ordered so much stuff afrer this sale and have gotten all my boxes except for this I will contact them because I dont even think I have a shipping info !

I just got my end of year sale items last night and live just a few miles from the distribution center, and my next door neighbor ordered the day before me and hers is out for delivery today. I got the shipping notice late last week but the tracking did not update at all until Sunday to "electronic shipping info received" then it did not update again until yesterday when it was out for delivery. I got my Janurary sub shipping email serval days after the package was delivered, crazy holiday shipping! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I already received my items from my end of year sale. I was surprised to get them yesterday since I am overseas. I cant wait to see spoilers for February's box. I hope it does include the freedom top coat. Also is anyone planning to purchase the new rose gold glitter Jane?

Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I already received my items from my end of year sale. I was surprised to get them yesterday since I am overseas. I cant wait to see spoilers for February's box. I hope it does include the freedom top coat. Also is anyone planning to purchase the new rose gold glitter Jane?
Has anyone else tried the freedom top coat? I bought it and have tried it a few times, and I don't think I'm in love. Like, maybe. It does set fast especially if you hold it over a lightbulb for a few minuets as it suggests, but I don't think it makes my polish last any longer without chipping than say Juelp's normal fast dry topcoat or any other normal/good topcoat. Just wondering what other's experiences have been and if anyone has any suggestions on it!

Originally Posted by lloronita /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used it and didn't find it lasted better than the normal top coat.
Glad that I am not the only one! It's not bad in terms of a topcoat, just nothing spectacular like I was hoping for!

I have a question I hope you guys can help me with: I paid for my January maven sub really late this month (card issues) on the 9th. Has anyone paid for their sub late? How long does it take to actually get the polishes? 

Usually, when I pay on the regular date, I get a shipping notice the same day or at the latest the next day but. as of now, nothing. So, I'm wondering if I should've just skipped this month (even though I did like the neons because I've been wearing dark colors and glitters for months) since it seems that I'll be getting my polishes pretty late and probably late enough that february's selection window will already be open. 

Originally Posted by martianeskimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a question I hope you guys can help me with: I paid for my January maven sub really late this month (card issues) on the 9th. Has anyone paid for their sub late? How long does it take to actually get the polishes? 

Usually, when I pay on the regular date, I get a shipping notice the same day or at the latest the next day but. as of now, nothing. So, I'm wondering if I should've just skipped this month (even though I did like the neons because I've been wearing dark colors and glitters for months) since it seems that I'll be getting my polishes pretty late and probably late enough that february's selection window will already be open. 
I don't think it's an issue because they usually add the boxes to their maven exclusives section of the site for 2-3 months after. I think they're just mailed out on a as-paid basis, but you might be fighting with the backlog since Julep did have that epic year-end sale.

Just received this email - looks like the color on the bottom is a preview of one of the colors that will be in February's Maven boxes! And, looks like the theme for that collection will be "The Glamour Collection"

Back