Julep: January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meh I wish they would've put the colors for the month in these set instead of different colors...either way won't get it have to cut back too D:

I've gotten rid of all my other subs but this one.

I feel like they reward me the most for being loyal to them, and I genuinely love their product. Plus I know what I'm getting each month, so it's not totally random.

I ended up ordering from the sale, but it wasn't polish. I REALLY want the gem set, but I need to cut back on spending. I love the white boxes so much.

But I ended up buying the lavender wishbone bracelet, the infinity scarf, and the mitt/towel set for $12. It's weird buying purely accessories from them, but I've been eying those items so it's okay! lol.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actual odds... no idea but it's 50-50 - you either get on or you don't.
well.. those aren't actual "odds" for the odds of getting a golden box, those are the two possible outcomes, not exactly statistics.

I finally found out about the Julep sale this morning and I was able to grab 4 polishes, the pedi cream, the hand brightener, and the scarf all for $34. I am more excited for this order than for my January box now.

Originally Posted by CaliMel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've gotten rid of all my other subs but this one.

I feel like they reward me the most for being loyal to them, and I genuinely love their product. Plus I know what I'm getting each month, so it's not totally random.

I ended up ordering from the sale, but it wasn't polish. I REALLY want the gem set, but I need to cut back on spending. I love the white boxes so much.

But I ended up buying the lavender wishbone bracelet, the infinity scarf, and the mitt/towel set for $12. It's weird buying purely accessories from them, but I've been eying those items so it's okay! lol.
I got the wishbone bracelet in my golden box but it was too small for me to wear
frown.gif
So I passed on all the bracelets even though they were a great price.

I joined Julep a few days ago for a penny and got the "It Girl" starter kit which looked pretty cool. I'm assuming my next box won't be until February since I ordered so late in the month.

I also just took advantage of the sale and got the infinity scarf and Special Effects set for a total of $14. I mainly purchased the Special Effects set for the Matte finish top coat because I love matte polishes. Has anyone tried this and can attest to its quality? I've never used a matte top coat to change a non-matte polish to matte so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm also not sure if they're supposed to be capable of doing that or if they're only for use on top of matte polishes.

Also, what is the Maven's Choice box? Is that an additional box option each month instead of the profiles they create for you like It Girl?

Their FAQ section is severely lacking in details so I'm hoping you guys will be able to fill me in.

I just had fun with the sale figured I'd grab these and skip next month! These prices are awesome! I'm in love can't wait to get my polishes:)

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone tried this and can attest to its quality? I've never used a matte top coat to change a non-matte polish to matte so I'm not sure what to expect.
I've never had another matteifying top polish either, but I'm severely disappointed by it. I haven't edited the pictures for my blog yet, but when I put it on, it looked like dried glue goop over your nails to give it a "matte" look rather than something that's genuinely matted your nails. From the looks of other matte top coats (esp Essie Matte About You) it looks like it's actually matted it rather than just giving it a matte look... really disappointed in it. :

I mean, but you might like it. I'm curious to hear back about what you think

I skipped! I spent $30 in their store this morning on small polish sets. The colors lately just haven't caught my interest for the money.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never had another matteifying top polish either, but I'm severely disappointed by it. I haven't edited the pictures for my blog yet, but when I put it on, it looked like dried glue goop over your nails to give it a "matte" look rather than something that's genuinely matted your nails. From the looks of other matte top coats (esp Essie Matte About You) it looks like it's actually matted it rather than just giving it a matte look... really disappointed in it. :

I mean, but you might like it. I'm curious to hear back about what you think
Haha well I appreciate an honest opinion! I hope it works, but if not at least there are other options out there.

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I joined Julep a few days ago for a penny and got the "It Girl" starter kit which looked pretty cool. I'm assuming my next box won't be until February since I ordered so late in the month.

I also just took advantage of the sale and got the infinity scarf and Special Effects set for a total of $14. I mainly purchased the Special Effects set for the Matte finish top coat because I love matte polishes. Has anyone tried this and can attest to its quality? I've never used a matte top coat to change a non-matte polish to matte so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm also not sure if they're supposed to be capable of doing that or if they're only for use on top of matte polishes.

Also, what is the Maven's Choice box? Is that an additional box option each month instead of the profiles they create for you like It Girl?

Their FAQ section is severely lacking in details so I'm hoping you guys will be able to fill me in.
I've used the Nails Inc matte polish on some of my Zoya metallics and tones down the sparkle and shine and has a nice effect. I haven't tried the Julep matte on anything other than the suedes yet, so I can't tell you how that matte coat works on other polishes. I'm guessing the result will be similar.

For the most part, the matte topcoat will tone down the glossiness of a polish and creates a neat effect (similar to the suede finishes) with metallics.

As to the Maven's Choice box, they usually put a few colors on a FB poll and the winners of the poll are included in the Maven's Choice box.

Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the Nails Inc matte polish on some of my Zoya metallics and tones down the sparkle and shine and has a nice effect. I haven't tried the Julep matte on anything other than the suedes yet, so I can't tell you how that matte coat works on other polishes. I'm guessing the result will be similar.

For the most part, the matte topcoat will tone down the glossiness of a polish and creates a neat effect (similar to the suede finishes) with metallics.

As to the Maven's Choice box, they usually put a few colors on a FB poll and the winners of the poll are included in the Maven's Choice box.
Thanks! As for the Maven's Choice box - is that an alternative box that anyone can pick each month instead of their profile box?

Thanks! As for the Maven's Choice box - is that an alternative box that anyone can pick each month instead of their profile box?
The maven's choice box came about a couple months ago when everyone freaked about crackle polish (me included) I guess they had a huge number of skips so they released a non-crackle box & called it Maven's choice. I don't think it's something they will do every month. I use Butter London's matte topcoat and love love love it. I just got juleps in my mystery box (ive never used it) but will probably give it to a friend.

I joined Julep a few days ago for a penny and got the "It Girl" starter kit which looked pretty cool. I'm assuming my next box won't be until February since I ordered so late in the month. I also just took advantage of the sale and got the infinity scarf and Special Effects set for a total of $14. I mainly purchased the Special Effects set for the Matte finish top coat because I love matte polishes. Has anyone tried this and can attest to its quality? I've never used a matte top coat to change a non-matte polish to matte so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm also not sure if they're supposed to be capable of doing that or if they're only for use on top of matte polishes. Also, what is the Maven's Choice box? Is that an additional box option each month instead of the profiles they create for you like It Girl? Their FAQ section is severely lacking in details so I'm hoping you guys will be able to fill me in.
I personally like the julep matte top coat. It tones down the shine and makes the finish smooth. I've tried other cheaper brands and did not like them as the julep.

My January It Girl arrived today, totally by surprise since I have not gotten a shipping notice. Putting the contents under a spoiler just in case people want to be surprised by the extras

The extras this month were a sheet of the swatch me stickers (the polishes already have stickers on the lids) and three NEON twistband-like ponytail holders.

Quick swatches - 2 coats Amelia, 3 coats Nina, 3 coats Nikki, 2 coats Color Club's Tweet Me (since it arrived yesterday and I wanted to compare them). The finish on Nina and Nikki reminds me of the Andrea's Choice Circus polishes, more of a satin finish but not quite a matte.

Back