Julep June 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah same here.  At first I was all OOoo
icon_eek.gif
a mystery box, then I remembered how I sad I've been every time I opened one of them in the last 6 months! LOL Plus I just signed up for 2 indie polish subs which I am way more excited for.  My predictions for these boxes is that Laguna Beach = neon collection, Miami = brights collection/glitters, and Hamptons = this month/Paris collection.  I know there will be older colors too, but I think it will be along those lines.

I need to check out those indie polish subs. But I think your prediction sounds about right. Technically they didn't mention that there would be any new polishes.

I figured I would pass on all three of these since they aren't including mystery colors or a set number of polishes. 

These really are a true mystery, aren't they? They provided almost no information on what to expect. 

Yeah same here.  At first I was all OOoo :icon_eek: a mystery box, then I remembered how I sad I've been every time I opened one of them in the last 6 months! LOL Plus I just signed up for 2 indie polish subs which I am way more excited for.  My predictions for these boxes is that Laguna Beach = neon collection, Miami = brights collection/glitters, and Hamptons = this month/Paris collection.  I know there will be older colors too, but I think it will be along those lines.
I've only heard of one, which others are there? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've only heard of one, which others are there? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The 2 I know of are from Glitter Daze and Glitter Guilty. But I was on ETSY last night and there are definitely some other brands that don't do sub boxes but look really fun to try as well.

Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really curious as to how Julep will remedy the issue and "make amends" with their customers. This kind of error could be a major blow to their customer base.
They could "gift" us some Jules.  Any token to show they are taking customer complaints into account goes a long way, IMO.

Originally Posted by jallu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this PLM thing mean that Julep doesn't actually develop their own products? I take the explaination of a PLM to mean the PLM develops the products then finds a company (like Julep) that is willing to market the product under their brand. If that's the case, I guess Julep got fooled by this product just like the rest of us did.
Based on my understanding from reading the Starlooks threat, a PLM would be an independent lab that develops products.  Different companies would come to the PLM to select what products they are interested in carrying under their own label.  Apparently, it is possible to tweak product formulas if a company so desires, in order to make their products more unique.  Or, they can go with the stock products and just slap their packaging and label on.  It's feasible that Julep is quite involved in the formulation process, but I doubt we will ever know for sure. 

It appears to be standard operating procedure for start up companies who cannot afford their own private lab to use a PLM, unlike the big corporations who have their own (Estee Lauder, L'Oreal).  Unless Julep decided to use their $10m equity funding to start their own lab, in which case they are obviously still ironing out the bugs.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've only heard of one, which others are there?
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Starlet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 2 I know of are from Glitter Daze and Glitter Guilty.

But I was on ETSY last night and there are definitely some other brands that don't do sub boxes but look really fun to try as well.
Yep these 2.  The Glitter Daze sub launches with the June box, I believe.  I didnt make the cut off so I will be getting my first boxes for both in July.

I'm all for mystery boxes from Julep (theoretically, anyway) but it kind of bugs me that they are doing 10 things at once.  I mean, there's no way the could've spent much time curating the mystery boxes while they were busy with the DD/concealer launch.  Now with all the backlash issues they are working through, I hope they dont just throw them together to divert people's attention but I just have a bad feeling about it.  Hopefully I'm wrong and they will be great boxes because they do sound really fun and I'm happy that they are including some grand prizes again!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif
Teehee not to enable, but someone posted about a new sub called GlitterDaze, and then I poked around and found a few more that haven't been mentioned:

http://glitterdazenp.com/subscription-box (pick your level?)

http://www.pistolpolish.com/ ($17.99 per month for 2 polishes)

http://www.colormemonthly.com/ ($7 per month for 1 polish)

http://www.glitterguilty.com/my-subscription/ ($15.99 for 1 full size, 1 mini, + 1 treat. FS polish in their shop is $8)

Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah same here.  At first I was all OOoo
icon_eek.gif
a mystery box, then I remembered how I sad I've been every time I opened one of them in the last 6 months! LOL Plus I just signed up for 2 indie polish subs which I am way more excited for.  My predictions for these boxes is that Laguna Beach = neon collection, Miami = brights collection/glitters, and Hamptons = this month/Paris collection.  I know there will be older colors too, but I think it will be along those lines.
oooh, I'm so conflicted about the mystery boxes! I love the idea, but it also seems like a big risk (I dont want dupes!) though on the other hand, I've only been a maven for 2 months, so I dont have too many polishes from them, so what are the odds of getting dupes? (with my luck, probably would get all dupes, ha!!)  I wish they would have given a little bit more info to guess with (though, I would say if miami would be really be brights & glitters, I could be very happy with it... but then again, no "new" colors either it sounds like)  arrggghhh!  Decisions!   and like someone else pointed out, how well curated could the mystery boxes be, if they had their focus all on this other stuff, with the launch (& now fail) of the DD??

Dangit!  Someone else make up my mind for me!!  hahahahhaha!

Just putting it out there it might be worth it to wait for the warehouse sale. According to this old MuT thread (https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/131205/julep-warehouse-sale) most of the polishes seem to be $3-5 and products like $6+? If it's anything close to their on-site sale, it's probably a better deal. We'll all see I guess XD

Also, the mystery box came super early this month, or is it just me? I guess they're trying to distract people from the disastuh that is the DD creme

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just putting it out there it might be worth it to wait for the warehouse sale. According to this old MuT thread (https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/131205/julep-warehouse-sale) most of the polishes seem to be $3-5 and products like $6+? If it's anything close to their on-site sale, it's probably a better deal. We'll all see I guess XD

Also, the mystery box came super early this month, or is it just me? I guess they're trying to distract people from the disastuh that is the DD creme
I'm totally feeling this too....and WAREHOUSE SALE! Yaaaaay! (Even though I just bought a ridiculous amount of polishes that I literally did this ->
blink.gif
to five minutes ago and I really don't need more, but I love a good sale and I'm going to hush now because trying to convince myself not to get excited about this is not going to work....ok....thanks
rolleyes.gif
)

The PMSing pessimist in me says these mystery boxes are probably a last ditch effort to get rid of polishes before the warehouse sale

Originally Posted by FrostKitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Julep Maven Box arrived today - delivered by the Zombie USPS Hag who waited while I opened the box because she wanted to see the colors.   I used my Reward points to add on a couple of polishes. 

The Maven Bombshell Box 

My Add-Ons

Swatches of the Bombshell colors and my add on purchases. 
Wow that's a bit creepy that your mail lady waited I would have felt all sorts of uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow that's a bit creepy that your mail lady waited I would have felt all sorts of uncomfortable.
You know what would have been priceless?....FrostKitty, you should have backed up slowly back through your doorway and closed the door in slow motion while not breaking eye contact with her the whole time...like this:
bigeyes2.gif

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smile.gif

Teehee not to enable, but someone posted about a new sub called GlitterDaze, and then I poked around and found a few more that haven't been mentioned:

http://glitterdazenp.com/subscription-box (pick your level?)

http://www.pistolpolish.com/ ($17.99 per month for 2 polishes)

http://www.colormemonthly.com/ ($7 per month for 1 polish)

http://www.glitterguilty.com/my-subscription/ ($15.99 for 1 full size, 1 mini, + 1 treat. FS polish in their shop is $8)

Bad, Kyuu, BAAADDD!! 
eusa_naughty.gif

roflmao.gif

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know what would have been priceless?....FrostKitty, you should have backed up slowly back through your doorway and closed the door in slow motion while not breaking eye contact with her the whole time...like this:
bigeyes2.gif

I literally laughed out loud! 
rofl2.gif

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

bigeyes2.gif

rofl2.gif

I am still waiting on my June box and I am excited for the polishes but I don't know what to expect from the DD cream. Also I skipped the last mystery box which seemed to be a good one but I don't know what to do about this one I have a bloomspot certificate that I need to use so  I could buy all 3 boxes for an extra $10 or I can wait until the warehouse sale.
11dh.gif

??? The mystery boxes are $25 now though, so you'd only get 2.... Price increase sucks. But I guess that's how they're discouraging people from skipping the monthly boxes

the thing i don't understand and keep hearing is that people are weighing their half empty bottles and they weigh the correct amount. 'half empty' has NOTHING to do with the the product amount and does not matter, is not a fault of julep's, is not a problem, etc etc etc. if there are true inconsistencies, that's an issue. as for people saying 'empty' and 'full', it still doesn't actually standardize an amount. if i bought an 0.11oz concealer, obviously it's going to look like very little and empty to someone who doesn't understand that  products often come in bigger bottles (i.e. julep's foot scrub was 'half empty' when i got it). it's like other bottles: i thought i was completely out of laura mercier's stuff but there was so much in the bottle that i returned my repurchase after realizing it. 

i feel like people didn't swatch their cremes out to see how truly they will fit pale people and are not orange as well as thinking a half filled bottle means they got half the product. it's driving me nuts.

as for mystery boxes, i'm excited and might jump in for the first time ever!

Latest posts

Back