Julep: November 2012 boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm officially part of a no-buy, and I am not super excited about suedes/matte, so I don't think I'll have trouble skipping this month. We shall see for certain when they release the actual boxes.

lol i don't mean to be bumping both threads, but they are more relevant topics in one than the other.

From the FB wall:

Hey Mavens we want to update you on a few things! If you haven't received a response back from our CS team, we want to assure you that we have received your email or voicemail and we are actively working on answering any and all questions as soon as possible.

Here are a few things to note:

1. If you are having trouble logging in, click here for more info http://bit.ly/TwEb4i

2. Julep Jules: A few of you are missing Jules in your account, we are currently cross checking ALL accounts with referrals and making sure each account is up to date. Thank you for your patience as we transition to a new and exciting rewards program!

*SPOILER ALERT: To thank everyone this month we are doing TRIPLE JULES if you take your November Maven Box. What does this mean? Instead of the 300 Jules you normally get for taking your monthly box you will be getting 900 Jules!

Want more info about Jules? Click here: http://www.julep.com/rewards.html

I don't know if that counts for people who are taking them and using their referral credits (probably not). But 900 Jules is practically half a box.

I still don't get exactly what suedes are but I might be skipping based on the pictures

I have a few suede polishes and I have to say I notice a big difference between them and matte polishes. When you apply them to the nail they really do dry down to an almost fuzzy/suede feeling and still have a tiny bit of shine/metallic sparkle to them.... not at all chalky feeling and completely flat like mattes. The staying power is also drastically different as most of my matte polishes chip almost immediately, while the suedes can get almost a week. Personally I think a matte topcoat paired with these is an odd choice because applying it defeats the purpose of wearing suede polish at all.

What would you apply as your topcoat?
You wouldn't use a topcoat. Which means an extra-strong basecoat, something like Orly Bonder, is going to be key to making sure it stays on without chipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisha90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still don't get exactly what suedes are but I might be skipping based on the pictures
Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a few suede polishes and I have to say I notice a big difference between them and matte polishes. When you apply them to the nail they really do dry down to an almost fuzzy/suede feeling and still have a tiny bit of shine/metallic sparkle to them.... not at all chalky feeling and completely flat like mattes. The staying power is also drastically different as most of my matte polishes chip almost immediately, while the suedes can get almost a week.
Personally I think a matte topcoat paired with these is an odd choice because applying it defeats the purpose of wearing suede polish at all.
Suedes are simply metallic polishes with a matte finish. Like Fairest said, they apply really smooth and do feel suede-y. And I think they're throwing in the matte top coat because it does go with the theme. You could use it to make your own suedes by applying it to your metallic polishes, or obviously just to matte-ify any of the rest of your polishes. Like if you wanted to use other non-mattes for nail art on top of suedes, it would keep the entire look matte.

Originally Posted by xiehan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You wouldn't use a topcoat. Which means an extra-strong basecoat, something like Orly Bonder, is going to be key to making sure it stays on without chipping.
Exactly. I have a suede and I do really enjoy it. I just don't necessary want a bunch more. Though I am tempted by the matte topcoat now. Sigh! This no-buy is a lot more difficult than I anticipated.

so looking forward to this collection. i have nothing like them in my stash and would love love love to try them out...just couldn't justify paying the full price at sephora.

*SPOILER ALERT: To thank everyone this month we are doing TRIPLE JULES if you take your November Maven Box. What does this mean? Instead of the 300 Jules you normally get for taking your monthly box you will be getting 900 Jules!

So crafty Julep for the ppl who was thinking about skipping!!!

Sigh! This no-buy is a lot more difficult than I anticipated.
Is your no-buy for October or November? Remember that you can still always buy the boxes after the fact from the Maven boutique for the same $20 price. Last I checked you could still buy the September boxes, maybe even August IIRC? So they'll still be available for a month or two. The only thing you'll miss out on is the excitement of being one of the first to try the new colors... except that in this case we won't even be the first because these have been available at Sephora.

Originally Posted by xiehan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is your no-buy for October or November?

Remember that you can still always buy the boxes after the fact from the Maven boutique for the same $20 price. Last I checked you could still buy the September boxes, maybe even August IIRC? So they'll still be available for a month or two. The only thing you'll miss out on is the excitement of being one of the first to try the new colors... except that in this case we won't even be the first because these have been available at Sephora.
The  only other thing you'd miss out on is cheaper add-ons. So if you wanted multiple colors from the collection, you'd have to buy them for $11.20/bottle instead of $5. Otherwise, you can still get everything :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Swatches are up!

So there's really only about 3-4 colors, which is fine. I'm surprised IT girl doesn't have 3 colors like usual but it might be a nice chance for me to grab the matte coat with it. Anyone love a particular set more than others?

Also I can't find the box thing on their new website. LOL

I'm going with boho glam and adding on Trina. Kinda sucks that the boxes aren't up yet..
plain.gif

Oof.  I'm thinking I'll be getting all of them if they offer that option again this month!  I'm going to have to see the prices, though (they usually send out the email at 6am on the 20th -- and I know this because I'm usually waiting at the bus to go to work when that happens, so I usually check out the colors while trying to not snarl at my fellow transit riders -- but it's 7:35 now, and that email still hasn't arrived), to figure out the per-bottle cost for the full set and figure out whether it's worth the money to buy, say, six polishes (or whatever the total number is) if I'm only going to use four versus getting my box with two and then getting a couple of add-ons and then buying an additional bottle.  I already have Trina, and I'm not wild about Minka, but I want all of the others, and it might be cheaper to get them all at once than pick them up individually.  I love suedes, although I only have one -- OPI Ink Suede -- and I always wish I had more (it dries *really* quickly -- even faster than when I use Seche Vite), but it seems like I can only find soft, pretty, feminine colors, and I don't like those colors.  I'm a little annoyed at the fact that these are already available at Sephora because one of the main reasons I joined was because I want to get these colors before they're available to the general public, but on the other hand, the Maven program is a good deal if we can catch them all in our Maven boxes.

As a side note, if you want to fake a suede look, get a matte topcoat and use it over a foil.  I've done this so much that I am actually almost out of matte topcoat, so I'm really happy to see one in this box because I keep forgetting to buy another bottle of this stuff!

I already have Minka & Nora so I think i'm going to get American Beauty & add on Hailee & Donna. I'm not quite sure if I like Trina yet.

Trina is a re-release, and I can say that I think it's one of Julep's best polishes (out of the ones I own/have owned, which is quite a lot). Opaque in one coat, really nice consistency (on the thin side but not runny), and the microshimmer gives it a lovely glow.

So I just selected the whole collection and clicked apply Jules, and it deducted 4000 jules instead of 5000. I tried the regular subscription and it deducted 1500 instead of 2000. I don't want to be charged the remaining amount - anyone else having this issue? Thanks!

Back