Julep October 2012 Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sucks because it's my last free month unless I get some more referral credits, so I was really hoping for something awesome. Like most people who have posted here, I hate crackles, and the two colors in the Bombshell box don't appeal to me either.

I actually do like most of the non-crackle colors though (except for Lisa, doesn't that seem too similar to the colors last month?). The standouts to me are Eloise and Caroline. I'd be tempted to go for American Beauty but that orange crackle is just terrible -- no way you'd wear that any time other than Halloween. If I had to get a crackle, I feel like the black ones are the least ugly, so I could go for Bombshell, but I don't really want the quick-dry drops because I already have the Orly ones and I almost never use them, and while Keira is pretty, I would want Caroline much more. I love shimmer finishes.

So, I think I'm going to go for It Girl and add on Eloise.

I like crackle if it's just black & white. I still have this look on my toes right now. No longer on fingers though!

Avon has the crackles right now (called Mosaic) for $3.99 and the Suedes for $3.49. Free shipping on $10 order with code ESSENTIAL

They also have a couple of matte colors for $2.25.

The mosaic effect (above) lasted easily a few days without chipping with a top coat. I was impressed. The mattes will do well with two coats and the tips topped off with sparkle/glitter or clear top coat.

Below is Avon black matte topped with Sinful Colors All About You (gold glitter polish).

I'm cancelling Julep. If their bottles were full size for the same price I would keep the sub but I feel like I'm paying for 2-3 sample sizes plus a product for $20 per month. Just not a good value to me for nail polish. 

ETA: No, I don't sell Avon. I don't sell anything. I just buy stuff, lol! 

American Beauty

Boho Glam

Bombshell

Classic With a Twist

It Girl

After seeing the Julep swatches I'm sticking with American Beauty because I don't own an orange crackle... least I don't think I do. I still love the red in Bombshell.

This is the second month in a row we've heard suedes and they still aren't here. Totally let down. I HATE crackle, so I'm skipping this month. I'd like the quick drops, but that's not work $20 to me. The orange crackle is interesting, but I'd probably only use it once then it would sit in a drawer. I decided that if they come out with a Halloween mystery box I'll probably get it (despite all the recent MB problems), but I'm definitely not seeing anything worth it for me in this month's boxes.

I don't think Julep ever hinted that they were going to do the suedes this month, it's just been conjecture on our part as it was last month,

I think the problem with the suedes is that if you go to the Sephora website, they're listed as a "Sephora exclusive". Based on whatever agreement Julep made with Sephora, they're probably not allowed to include them in our maven boxes for X amount of time while they've given Sephora the exclusive rights to sell these products that you can't buy directly from Julep or anywhere else. It sucks for us but from a marketing perspective it makes sense, and I have a feeling that Sephora puts a lot of pressure on brands to allow them to sell some exclusive products because you see lots of other brands doing it too, especially among the lesser-known and not-so-well-establishes ones.

I really wanted the drops but I do not want the crackles! If it were up to me I would get the blue from American Beauty, Eloise with the Shimmery Charcoal from It Girl, Leslie with the drops.

I know crackles are "so last *insert season of choice here*" but I actually kind of like them...to each their own I guess.  I've never tried it and living in a small town in the Oklahoma Panhandle, I don't think anybody will come up and say "Oh, your nails are so out of date with that crackle polish."  Soooo...I decided not to skip and go with the Bombshell box with Lisa and Boris & Nicole as add-ons.  Keira (I think that's the name) and the black crackle together look like some dark, vampy lace that would be cool to wear around Halloween.  And I also really want to try the drops.  Granted, it does suck about the whole suedes thing, but hopefully they'll finally make their debut next month.  And the secret shop...seems like they're having to beg people not to skip.

I was so ready to skip this month. Im not a fan of the crackles but I did like the Classic w/ a twist I needed a sheer pink and I added on Caroline, Leslie and Keira since Im just starting out my nail polish collection I dont have many colors yet and i love those red shades

My boxes are still free, so I went with American Beauty since I figure orange crackle will be good for Halloween.  I also added on Kiera, Caroline, and Sofia.  I figure my 3 year old will go nuts for the glow in the dark nails, I can't wait!  I don't ever remember Julep having an add-on that's not in the collection, is that a first?  

I feel like it's kind of stupid to have to pay $20 for polishes that I don't want so I can have the opportunity to spend more money in the mystery shop that I assume will be not worth it anyway (too expensive, things I don't want to buy, etc.). Or Julep could be selling suedes for $3 a bottle! Who knows... ~it's a secret~

Originally Posted by xiehan /img/forum/go_quote.gifthat orange crackle is just terrible -- no way you'd wear that any time other than Halloween
Sporting events....

Originally Posted by corvettekrista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like crackle if it's just black & white. I still have this look on my toes right now. No longer on fingers though!

Avon has the crackles right now (called Mosaic) for $3.99 and the Suedes for $3.49. Free shipping on $10 order with code ESSENTIAL

They also have a couple of matte colors for $2.25.

The mosaic effect (above) lasted easily a few days without chipping with a top coat. I was impressed. The mattes will do well with two coats and the tips topped off with sparkle/glitter or clear top coat.

Below is Avon black matte topped with Sinful Colors All About You (gold glitter polish).

I'm cancelling Julep. If their bottles were full size for the same price I would keep the sub but I feel like I'm paying for 2-3 sample sizes plus a product for $20 per month. Just not a good value to me for nail polish. 

ETA: No, I don't sell Avon. I don't sell anything. I just buy stuff, lol! 
I'm skipping..I don't see anything original. I have never owned a crackle and I'm not starting now..icck. Krista I took your advice and ordered some suedes and mattes off avon..the swatches look sooo pretty. Boo Julep...As much as I LOVE Halloween it's only one day...that's why LE Halloween stuff is usually cheap and cutesy.

I haven't seen anything about a mystery shop, what am I missing? Also, not too, too thrilled with crackles, either. I was super bummed about not getting the suedes :-(

Darn you secret store!!!!!! Grrrrr!!!!!!!! I went to skip and now it's tempting me back...dang it Julep. Just offer good boxes and I wouldn't skip..quit trying to trick me with promo crap. The part of my brain that says no to shopping is feeble and small...

Back