Julep September 2012 boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Seattle last week for my birthday and I had completely and totally forgot about their city's stupid law where plastic bags are outlawed and if you want a paper bag you have to pay 5 cents to 10 cents per bag. What a freaking joke of a law. My guess as to the value they placed on the bag being $5 is based on similar bags now sold in Seattle that range as little as 99 cents and goes up to $5. Frankly, it's not worth $5.

Originally Posted by fireflyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received my product lover's mystery box, and luckily I believe it's worth $70 without the bag.

I got the Glow on Age Defying Hand Brightener, the Essential Cuticle Oil, the topcoat, and the glass nail file. I ordered mine towards the very end of the sale, so I wonder if all of your emails/complaints influenced my box? Or maybe it was just lucky.
I ordered both boxes (a product lovers and polish lovers) on the first day of the sale and got the same exact product box. Their products are expensive so it's a little harder to skimp out on the full $60-$200 value when it comes to their products.

I got 4 polishes in my polish lovers box as well. Luckily I really love all the colors. 

I ordered the product lovers mystery box, and I'm OK with it to be honest. I've only been a maven for about 2 months, so I don't have too much yet and don't have an issue with repeats. I received the age defying hand brightener, the glass nail file, fast dry top coat and the mystery blue color (which is actually pretty and something I would have never bought on my own). However, I agree that the bag is a JOKE and it should not be counted towards the $60 total value.So, assuming that the mystery polish is worth $14, it's a little bit over $60. I would love to see what was included in one of the $200 mystery product boxes. I always say that I'm not going to order another mystery box, but then I end up coming across a video of someone who is lucky enough to get the $200 box and I can't resist taking the chance that maybe it will be me!!

Aaahhhh....this is why I also don't gamble! I'm never lucky!!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Seattle last week for my birthday and I had completely and totally forgot about their city's stupid law where plastic bags are outlawed and if you want a paper bag you have to pay 5 cents to 10 cents per bag. What a freaking joke of a law. My guess as to the value they placed on the bag being $5 is based on similar bags now sold in Seattle that range as little as 99 cents and goes up to $5. Frankly, it's not worth $5.
I really don't think that's why they said the value of the bag was $5 - this bag is not nearly as nice or as large as a $5 reusable bag - it's just Julep being stupid (I also received 4 polishes and the bag, which I consider to have $0 value).

For what it's worth, I live in Seattle, and I'm totally OK with the plastic bag law. Some stores, such as Safeway, have come up with heavier plastic bags to offer shoppers, since they claim they're reusable. Other stores offer the $0.99 reusable bags, like you mentioned. And if I forget to bring a reusable bag, I just usually stuff everything into my purse.

Plastic in a marine environment NEVER breaks down, and since we have so much water and marine life around us, I think it makes sense. A lot of plastic litter ends up in the lakes and the sound. It's definitely a pain right now for people, but probably worth it in the long run. Bellingham has since followed suit, too.

Also, Happy Birthday!!

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let me know what they say. and i agree, it was not worth $60 they claimed it would be
I got a fast (within one day) response from CS saying they'd send out polish to bring it up to value. I rec'd my tracking # yesterday, so we'll see what's in the box when it arrives in a day or two.

Bellingham too? Ugh. I'm not in the Seattle area so the law seems stupid especially in the tourist areas, to me it comes off as the City of Seattle attempting to make money off the tourists (and out of towners) with the law. lol I think if Oregonians have exempt from sales tax those of us not living in the Seattle area should be exempt from that bag charge. lol

I got both the polish and product mystery bags yesterday.  I liked the product one better - it had the hand brightener cream, glass nail fail, cuticle oil, fast dry top coat, and the bag.  The polish mystery bag had four polishes and the bag.  I can't remember the polish names, but they were a fuschia pink cream, metallic teal/blue, baby pink cream (possibly a jelly?), and a really pretty aqua glitter.  The bags are a good size to carry my lunch in to they will get put to use. 

Overall, I'm happy.  Did anyone get the survey from Julep today?  It sounds like they are considering doing a monthly products only bag.  They also asked questions about what other types of products we would like to see in bags, such as cosmetics, body products, fragrance, skin care, sunscreen/tanning products, etc.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got both the polish and product mystery bags yesterday.  I liked the product one better - it had the hand brightener cream, glass nail fail, cuticle oil, fast dry top coat, and the bag.  The polish mystery bag had four polishes and the bag.  I can't remember the polish names, but they were a fuschia pink cream, metallic teal/blue, baby pink cream (possibly a jelly?), and a really pretty aqua glitter.  The bags are a good size to carry my lunch in to they will get put to use. 

Overall, I'm happy.  Did anyone get the survey from Julep today?  It sounds like they are considering doing a monthly products only bag.  They also asked questions about what other types of products we would like to see in bags, such as cosmetics, body products, fragrance, skin care, sunscreen/tanning products, etc.
I got the survey today too, I would be really happy with a product only box if they get around to offering it.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I got the exact same box. The fuschia cream is "Eva", the metallic blue is a mystery color (though I put it on one thumb and it's more of a frosty blue than teal), pink is "Jennifer" and the aqua glitter is "Portia".

Originally Posted by drk51284 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I got the exact same box. The fuschia cream is "Eva", the metallic blue is a mystery color (though I put it on one thumb and it's more of a frosty blue than teal), pink is "Jennifer" and the aqua glitter is "Portia".
Yes, that sounds right.  Thanks!  I was looking online for the names and couldn't find them. 

At first, I thought the metallic blue was the same as Megan, which I received last month.  I swatched them and Megan leans more green, the mystery color more blue. 

Hm, it sounds like everyone had a bad experience with the mystery boxes this month. I also wonder if it made a difference that I basically ordered mine within 20 minutes of getting the email?

I got the product box and received two mystery polishes, the quick-dry top coat, cuticle oil, hand brightener, daylight defense hand+face cream, non-acetone remover, best pedi prep + foot file, "facial for hands" hand scrub. mascara, and lip balm. I'm pretty sure I got what was one of the few $200 bags, so I think I just got really lucky.

I have pretty mixed feelings about Julep. I really like their cream products (the best pedi creme is really awesome) even though I'm really not into their polishes, which is why I took a chance on the products bag. I had a not-so-pleasant experience a few months ago when CS accused me of using their "content" (images) without permission on my personal journal and I was like...um... no and just took down all mentions of them. I'm really happy with the contents of my bag, but in general I tend to dislike companies that treat their customers poorly and I know this isn't the first bad experience people have had with them. Depending on what they have next month in their bag, I might or might not stick around.

Which is probably good for them because I built up a bunch of referrals which means they won't have to give me free stuff. But free stuff < my sense of right, apparently, lol.

I ordered right away too and got a lackluster product box.  Nothing I wanted.  Disappointed.

Wow I'm surprised so many others had bad experiences as well, at least it wasn't just me. On the survey I rated their c/s in the bottom 5% of companies I deal with.

Originally Posted by bbbrandnewww /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used the penny code twice. I unsubbed after my first box when they first started because I was totally unsatisfied with the colors, new to the beauty sub world, and plush the polish caps didn't twist on all the way and the polishes dried out (then the replacements were different colors??). Months later I signed up again, but ended up using a different email because I forgot my original login, and I've been a member ever since. The most recent penny code I'm pretty sure is just PENNY
I wonder if they are reading this thread and that's how they saw I was trying to use it twice...because it obviously worked for some people. Another company doing different things for different people. UGH so annoying

I don't see the company as the bad guy if they are tightening up their system so that people don't use the penny code twice.  It's an introductory offer, right?

Same here. Received my polish lovers box yesterday. It only had 3 polishes Zoe, Michelle, that brown mystery color, and the free bag that they gave away in August. I was disappointed since this doesn't even meet the minimum mystery box value. I've emailed CS, and am waiting to hear back to see what's going on.
I emailed and also called customer service and received such poor customer service that I canceled my membership. I also was hung up on when I asked to speak to a supervisor. The person thought she put me on hold but hadn't and I overheard to her say "that there was a witchy customer that wanted to speak to a supervisor" she then picked the phone back up and said "Are you still there?" my response was yes and i heard every word you just said including that I was a witchy customer" and then i heard a CLICK. She hung up on me. I called back, asked to speak with a supervisor which I was told I was speaking to one. I told them that the person I had spoke with prior referred to me as a witchy customer. I was told that I must've misunderstood what she had said. I said no, she thought she had put me on hold when she called me that and I overheard what she had said. I could see that this was going to go nowhere so I told them that I was canceling and I wanted nothing to do with this company any longer. I would be sure to tell everyone of my experience. The rep just said ok I canceled your membership is there anything else I can do? Are you serious? Really? no thank you! When i originally sent an email to let them know how disappointed I was that the box didn't have a $60 value unless they included the bag into the value. I asked for a link of the tote bag so I could validate the value of the bag and it was included in their response. Whoopee it's valued at $5 which I still say is free advertisement for them when a person reuses it. So it is stupid for them to say it adds a $5 value to their mystery box. The mystery box is called a POLISH lovers box. Not a Polish lovers but we are throwing in a stupid bag that we say is worth $5 for the sake of making a box really valued at $56 now worth $61 mystery box. Do I think the box was worth the $19.95? Yes of course I do. I got $56 dollars worth of product. The reason I'm fuming (other than because of my experience when I called) is because I feel that they were being sneaky by throwing in a stupid bag to push the value from $56 to over $60. They need to change their values on their boxes to $56 to $200 for the mystery boxes. Yes I know it's only $5 but to me it's being lied to that I don't like. It's also sneaky. I'm glad that they sent another polish to make up the difference to the person above. That is what they should do. After my experience with them I wouldn't have put it past them if they would've said the bag was worth $19 and with the 3 nail polishes you got $61 worth of product. I am so done with Julep! I would love to be able to send an email to the owner and let her know about my phone call with one of her customer service reps. It was so uncalled for.

Julep has had problems in the past with being deceptive. Before I became a member they did some shady things to some of the big nail bloggers in regards to credit they earned through referrals. Personally I've never had an issue with them but if I were in your place and felt deceived I'd be sending a complaint to the WA Attorney General for false advertising or misleading advertising. The behavior was uncalled for, too bad you didn't get her name.

As a followup, I did receive Melissa in the mail today, so points to their CS for handling this particular situation promptly.

I also sent an email (very nice - excited about buying from a local company, complimented the shipping since it ended up being next-day, etc etc - which is was true) about my polish lovers box, and this was their response:

"Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to the recent Mystery Boxes. The majority of the Polish Lover’s boxes contained four polishes along with a Julep tote bag. If you suspect any products were missing, can you please let us know what you received, and we will have our Fulfillment Team notified."
 ​

UNDERWHELMING. At least say something like, "we're so glad to have you, hope you like our polishes, etc" even if they're not budging on the value of a tote bag I can't even remember where I stashed 3 days ago. 

Asking me to tell them what my box contained (when my email DID tell them what it contained) means they weren't listening or applying any reading comprehension skills. I know I can't be the only one who just bristles at cookie-cutter customer service. I know it saves time, but it's also incredibly impersonal, which is hard when you're reaching out about an issue you'd like to see resolved - even if that means being gently let down.

Back