Keep it going! The Penpal Thread!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how would a traveling journal work? is there going to be a separate thread for that? will it work like a circular swap box? just wondering!
Yeah! We should make a separate thread for it with sign ups. It would work as a circular swap box!

edited to add I'm an idiot and can't do a spoiler sorry I would SO love to do this too. More about me below
Age Range I am 47 but like having friends of all ages. Location. Florida Do you prefer email , physical mail or combo? I guess combo. Email is fine for chatting and will probably get answered faster but I like the idea of using my stationery and exchanging little packages of goodies as well Lord knows I have plenty of stuff to share. main interests. of course I love makeup, fragrance, arts and crafts, soap making and other Scented goodies. I also make jewelry. I have an Etsy shop but need to make time to restock it. Shopping and Bargain hunting. losing weight (I'm on Weight Watchers). Any kind of DIY or crafts. Learning more about makeup techniques (thanks you tube). Swapping, making goodie bags for people. My family of course, my lovely husband, 13 year old step daughter and dog and cat. Described as. Bluntly Honest, loyal, workaholic, funny, sarcastic, younger than my age (my daughter says I'm still a teenager) Smart, a leader, a ruthless boss (I'm really not so bad I just expect competence). Giving, generous, perfectionist, soft hearted and a sucker for animals Music. Really anything but Country, but I know all the lyrics to all the Pop songs because my daughter and I sing in the car AND we think we sound good Movies. I don't have the attention span to sit so long really Took my daughter to see Carching Fire, but I have already read the trilogy. Oh yeah reading, I like to read and prefer non fiction especially in the field of psychiatry or psychology or criminology. TV shows. Anything on ID Discovery, watched all of Prison Break, and finishing up Breaking Bad Books, Authors. Oops see above. true crime, autobiographies of persons with mental illness (always trying to understand my clients from the inside). Some fiction for relaxation like crime mysteries etc. Art, Artists. Dali , Monet, Manet, Brancusi, Munch. easier to list what I don't like... Andy Warhol and Britto (we are drowning in him in S. FL) Other random. My favorite colors are Green, grey, and black. I'm from Upstate NY, I love squirrels, birds, cat and people over 80 Collect. makeup, fragrance, BPAL, little birds and things with birds on them, interesting papers for scrap booking Specifically seeking to make new friends, send little surprises exchange ideas Length of letter. Doesn't matter Number of pen pals 5 or so International ? Sure but it will be just letters not packages due to crazy shipping cost Anything else? Yeah PM me I'm on vacation and have time to write. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

::age range:: 30-40::location:: San Francisco Bay Area::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Physical Mail::main interests:: Cooking, Baking, Skincare, The Great Outdoors, Beer, Scotch, Wines, DIY::described as:: To-the-point; Super nice but no-nonsense. Ambitious.::music:: Pop/Top40; Lounge.::movies:: Documentaries, Action, some RomComs::TV shows:: Breaking Bad, MadMen, Suits, Nikita, Arrow, SouthPark, Archer, The West Wing, Nashville::books/authors:: I HATE to read, and never read for fun. Except for trashy fashion and entertainment magazines (like US, OK or People). ::art/artists:: Meh. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love the Bay Area, California, and NYC. ::collect:: I try not to collect anything as space is at a premium here. If anything, I collect awesome recipes.::specifically seeking:: Friend to occasionally trade food/drink/beauty finds and someone out of my normal circle for friends to share in life's ups and downs.::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Meh... it depends on what the letters are about.  Short and to the point is best.::how many pen pals do you want?:: A couple... two...three?::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Um...what's a travelling journal? And does it require me to write? If so, not so much.::international or local penpals?:: Sure - both!::anything else?:: Not to boast, but I'd be a super-awesome pen/care-package pal :D  Looking more to share little things/gifts, not necessarily to write!
Okay...all full up on pen pals....!

::age range:: I am 25 so mid 20s to mid 30s will work great. I am not too picky really.

::location:: I am located in Missouri

::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: combo is great because sometimes I might get slammed with work where I can send an e-mail telling the person whats going on and they don't have to wait forever.

::main interests:: family and friends, our dog, beauty, books, movies, crafting (sewing, scrapbooking), travelling, pinterest, different cultures, piano

::described as:: loud, silly, loyal, blonde, caring,

::music:: a good mix, I listen to almost everything pop, Rock, RnB, Country, Jazz, some classic 

::movies:: I watch mainly comedies but also have a few action favorites. Some of my favorites are: What happens in Vegas, Amelie, Red, Road Trip, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation,

::TV shows:: Again, I prefer comedies. Some of my favorites: Big Bang Theory, Friends, Dads, That 70's show, Gilmore Girls, White Collar, The Ellen Show, Chelsea Lately

::books/authours:: can't think of specific authors I love. I love to read books about people who experience a different culture and tell every day stories of their life in a difefrent country.

::art/artists:: Pop Art, Andy Warhol, photography

::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places::I love the beach, I love swimming and being on boats, love snuggeling on the couch, my favorite peron is my husband and since a month our baby nephew as well, I love learning languages (speak, German, English and French and took Latin for 6 years)

::collect:: we have a collection of rubber duckies, craft supplies, and my hubby would probably say I hoard makeup

::specifically seeking:: for a pen-pal to exchange about every day things. Not looking for political discussions or rants (rants are ok if seldom)

::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: I do not mind any kind of letter as long as they make sense :)

::how many pen pals do you want?:: As many as I can keep up with. If I  already have too many, I will kindly let you know.

::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Sure, it sounds fun!

::international or local penpals?:: both

::anything else?:: I am excited to see how this project is working out. I can be sarcastic and swear. Also, I am native German but US resident.

::age range:: Early 20's::location:: Midwest bayyyybeeeeee::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Combo?::main interests:: Makeup (obvs), craft beer, music, news (I listen to a lot of public radio..)::described as:: Funny- amazingly dry/dark sense of humor, quick, witty- smart.. why do I feel like I'm filling out an online dating forum?::music:: damn.. I listen to a lot.. I'm super into acoustic- singer/songwriter stuff.. I also like rock, a lot of classic stuff, a solid amount of alternative stuff.. I can kind of dig the new electronic-pop stuff but on that end of the spectrum I like more pop-punk.. but I don't actually know a lot of it.. three musicians I'm listening to on a daily basis right now though would be Bon Iver, Coheed & Cambria, and.. um.. Lorde?::movies:: I like weird movies.. I love horror.  Favorites- The Green Mile, The Usual Suspects, A Streetcar Named Desire, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Pulp Fiction.. I'm weird.::TV shows:: Saturday Night Live. American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, LOST, all crime tv ever.::books/authors:: I love Young Adult stuff.. I know, I'm too old.  Also love Game of Thrones, comedy books.. I love to read but I'm drawing a blank::art/artists:: I don't know too much about art.. my roommate paints so her stuff is all over the apartment and I love it.. but I don't have a favorite::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: My favorite people in the world today (emphasis on today) are Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers, and Jimmy Fallon.::collect:: Too many things.  Currently, instruments.. also, books of things that I've already read on my kindle.  WHY LIFE, WHY.::specifically seeking:: I'm not sure what to say here.  Friends?::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: medium!::how many pen pals do you want?:: not too many?::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Sure!::international or local penpals?:: Either::anything else?:: Now that I've delved into the depths of my brain.. I'm a little worried about myself as a dark and sad and humorous person who has very odd taste and seems to be dark and twisty..
Hooray!!

::age range::30
::location::Oklahoma
::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: combo
::main interests::coffee,my dog Webber,photos, the beach, make-up,purses
::described as::loyal,silly,uptight,dry sense of humor,honest
::music::nirvana, blind melon, jack johnson, pink, kacey musgraves,dashboard, deftones
::movies::the hunger games, what dreams may come, twilight, breakfast club,
::TV shows::Grey's, Carries diaries, Sex and the city, Vampire diaries,Revolution
::books/authours::the house of night series, twilight series, Snookie Stackhouse series, Ava delaney series, Bubba series, Charles Dickens, Little Women
::art/artists::I like the scream and starry night
::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places::My favorite colors are pink and green. I like polka dots, strips, lots of color! bright colors! I love Labs! Animals really..I want to have a rescue one day with lots of land!
::collect:: make-up, purses, junk,things with birds on them,
::specifically seeking::not sure what to say here??
::prefer long, medium or short letters?::combo
::how many pen pals do you want?::2
::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?::yes
::international or local penpals?::both
::anything else?:: Sounds like fun! yay!

Yay, so excited!  

::age range::  I love friends of all ages.  I'm early thirties.::location:: Texas::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: I heart snail mail but I'm okay with a combo.::main interests:: reading, traveling, museums, trying new products, baking (and trying to cook)::described as:: sweet but sarcastic and I wear my heart on me sleeve.  ::music:: Anything and everything.  My ipod is full of everything from classical and opera to top 40s, alternative and country. I've been known to listen to christmas music whenever I'm stressed out regardless of the time of year and still love 80s/90s music and Elton John.  I really enjoy live music (see Arts section).::movies:: I love seeing movies but I'm not sure I have any favorites.  Not picky but don't like horror films.  I wish there were more comedies out recently.::TV shows:: I enjoy tv.  Game of Thrones, Homeland, Masters of Sex, Dexter, Newsroom, new American Horror Story, Downton Abbey, Mindy Project, HIMYM, Parenthood, Blue Brothers, Rizzoli & Isles, the Following, Hart of Dixie, Reign, the white queen, Call the Midwife, the New Girl and Suits are current favorites.  You'll still catch me watching some of the old ones like Gilmore Girls, original 90210, etc.  ::books/authours::  I adore reading!  It's one of my greatest escapes and I read just about everything from Hunger Games series to chick lit to nonfiction to literary fiction.  I'll always love the Great Gatsby, Little Women and Anne of Green Gables plus most of Jane Austen.  I was a history major so I almost always have a nonfiction book going while I'm reading fiction.  I'm usually reading a few books at the same time.::art/artists::  Really love the Impressionists and have season tickets for opera, musicals, and symphony and like going to ballet, plays and other live theater/music.  Big fan of the arts here.  Also really love learning about female artists of all types.  Favorite artists include Renoir, Mary Cassat, Vettriano, Georgia O'Keefe, Berthe Morisot and Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun.::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: Love being girly, the colors purple and pink, hearts, gerber daisies, bookstores, libraries, tea, coffee, sweets, Ancient Egypt, and dinosaurs. Oh, and I got a sculpture erected at my college so I really like sculptures too.::collect:: tea pots, postcards, bookmarks, mugs::specifically seeking:: Someone to exchange letters/small goodies with over an extended period of time.::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: medium or long... I want to get to know each other.::how many pen pals do you want?:: The more, the merrier!::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Sure!::international or local penpals?:: A mix would be a blast.  As a child I had penpals in Australia and New Zealand and that was a blast.::anything else?::  I'm really looking forward to this.  I love MUT Ladies!

Here is mine

::age range:: I’m in my 40’s so anyone in the 30’s – 50’s perhaps
::location:: northern US
::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: no preference
::main interests:: reading, walking/hiking, bicycling, baseball, cake decorating, trivia, music, current events/news, beauty products, traveling
::described as:: wry humor, creative, artistic, caring
::music:: like most music, especially 80’s, not a fan of country
::movies:: I like most movies
::TV shows:: Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Person of Interest, Downton Abbey, Dexter, do not like reality shows in general
::books/authors:: love to read, I like historical fiction, history, mysteries, classics, contemporary fiction, non fiction, don’t read much scifi
::art/artists:: appreciate art, probably like the impressionist period the most
::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I like Europe and would love to visit again soon, bit of an anglophile, I like remote places, nature
::collect:: nothing
::specifically seeking:: make new friends
::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: no preference
::how many pen pals do you want?:: 2-3
::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: sure
::international or local penpals?:: both
::anything else?:: I had a penpal for 10+ years in my teens/early 20’s – we had a lot of fun J

::age range::40 going on 25 - editing for clarity, I'd be happy w pen pals of any age. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::location:: Chicago ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: physical mail, really interested in exchanging little gifts every so often ::main interests:: makeup, pottery, cats, dogs, almost any animals, but not so much human babies, knitting, drumming, history, sci fi, science ::described as:: bouncy, ambitious, objective, self reliant, gothy ::music:: industrial, synth pop, alternative/ new wave 80', Celtic ::movies::how to train your dragon, ladyhawke, hackers, pitch perfect ::TV shows:: Grimm, once upon a time, stargate, glee ::books/authours:: Nancy Kress, jack mcdevitt, frank Herbert, Anne mcaffrey, Mercedes lackey ::art/artists:: Georgia o Keene, any interesting pottery ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: my best friend lives in Edinburgh Scotland and I love visiting her. London, the British band Mesh, chocolate, museums ::collect:: quirky Indy jewelry, interesting rocks and fossils, Breyer horses, eyeshadow palettes and mineral eyeshadow, and lip products ::specifically seeking:: anything that could make interesting pottery textures or tools, like small graters and branches or buttons, very bright or jewel toned shadows, good berry lip pies ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Any size, I love postcards ::how many pen pals do you want?:: acouple would be fine ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: maybe, I would need to learn more ::international or local penpals?:: both ::anything else?:: email pen pals are fine too

This sounds like it could be fun :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

::age range:: I am 31::location:: Western Chicago Burbs::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: I love regular mail!::main interests:: I love makeup, kids, animals, crafts::described as:: I have no idea! LOL I'm just me::music:: Classic rock, soft rock, alternative rock... I have the musical taste of a 50-60 year old with a little 90s chick thrown in.::movies:: Pretty Woman in my all time favorite::TV shows:: Grey's Anatomy, Parenthood, Girls, Revenge, True Blood, Game of Thrones, My Cat From Hell, Pitbulls and Parolees, Breaking Amish::books/authors:: I don't get much time to read anymore ::art/artists:: I like art from my 2 year old LOL::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love the ocean/Florida, warm weather, the color Aqua, I love daisies and lilies, I love the zoo, I LOVE Christmas time, makeup makes me very happy..::collect:: I collect makeup LOL::specifically seeking:: nothing specific::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: medium letters::how many pen pals do you want?:: as many as want me!::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: not sure what they is, but I would!::international or local penpals?:: US is easiest::anything else?:: This should be fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @Jamie P Aqua is THE best color! :)
Agree!!! It makes me happy just looking at it!

Wheeee, I missed out on SS & love Pen Pals :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

::age range:: *sob* just turned 26 ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I don't care if it's younger or older (if you're older, I may ask for life advice!!)::location:: Phoenix::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Hmm, both. I do have some samples/products I am dying to unload!::main interests:: art, netflix, yoga, makeup, nails, food!! I love to cook :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::described as:: loyal, funny, sarcastic (it's my Sagittarius side coming out)::music:: real rock and roll (aka led zep, rolling stones, beatles, hendrix, janis etc), international music (i love spanish music and french, even tho I don't understand the french), mostly anything but death metal. ::movies:: faves include almost famous, the labyrinth, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, clueless, beauty and the beast, the little mermaid, the fifth element. ::TV shows:: fringe (RIP), firefly (again RIP), buffy (i miss it still), older seasons of true blood/vampire diaries, some reason I really love the new CW show reign, game of thrones, battlestar galatica ::books/authours:: i love books about other religions, eastern healing. also guilty pleasure YA books.  ::art/artists:: ohhh all kinds of art, latin american, modern, baroque etc. fave artists is too hard. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love purple, turquoise, and emerald (aka jewel tones), also love South America, the Mediterranean, and beaches.  ::collect:: cute perfume bottles, nail polish, phone cases, jewelry dishes, COOKBOOKS! give them all to meeee::specifically seeking:: no idea! new friends, fun people to swap items with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: all! sometimes I can write a novel, other times short and sweet. ::how many pen pals do you want?:: bring it on :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: sure!::international or local penpals?:: hmm international maybe kept to e-mails just because I wanna give some stuff away :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::anything else?:: YAY I'm excited!

Thank you for getting this off the ground, @usofjessamerica 

I'm so excited for this!!!

::age range:: Early 30's

::location:: Wisconsin

::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Physical!!! There's something about getting mail that's not a bill!!! (Also open to emails...I know life get hectic sometimes!)

::main interests:: Makeup, Cooking, Reading, Traveling, Working on crafts/DIY/Travel albums

::described as:: Calm, Easy-going, always willing to try new things, sarcastic

::music:: A little of everything, It depends on the mood!!!

::movies:: Tons!!! I like a little of everything.

::TV shows:: Scandal, Hostage, Grey's, The Big Bang Theory,  Cooking shows

::books/authors:: Mystery novels, all kinds of magazines, I also read cookbooks too!

::art/artists:: No specific artists. I tend to like modern, contemporary and colorful things.

::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love to travel and try things that are local to different areas. Love coffee and tea, chocolate, and trying new foods and recipes.

::collect:: makeup, scarves, cookbook, jewelry, perfumes, candles

::specifically seeking:: Someone to connect with and share interests and surprises

::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: I'm open to anything!

::how many pen pals do you want?:: No Limit!!!!

::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Yes, I'm curious to see how this works!

::international or local penpals?:: Either!!!

::anything else?:: I have an adorable little dog that keeps me busy. He's a terrier mix.

[@]heath67013[/@] woohoo! WI here too! Just PM whoever you think would make a good pen pal! Don't be shy!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@heath67013 woohoo! WI here too!

Just PM whoever you think would make a good pen pal! Don't be shy!
 I'm in the Milwaukee area!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too! We might have talked about this before lol.
OMG!!! Did we??? I think the holidays got the best of me...lol.

OMG!!! Did we??? I think the holidays got the best of me...lol.
You might have told me about the new ulta being built off of 45 unless that's someone else lol. I'm not much of an ulta girl myself. I went to the Brookfield one today and everything was caked in dust, not stocked, and the nail polishes (I'm talking the DLs, BL, OPI, and Zoya) we're all separate-y. Haven't checked out the ulta in Bayshore yet. Maybe we can have a WI MUT meet up one day!

Back