Keep it going! The Penpal Thread!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You might have told me about the new ulta being built off of 45 unless that's someone else lol. I'm not much of an ulta girl myself. I went to the Brookfield one today and everything was caked in dust, not stocked, and the nail polishes (I'm talking the DLs, BL, OPI, and Zoya) we're all separate-y. Haven't checked out the ulta in Bayshore yet. Maybe we can have a WI MUT meet up one day!
I don't like the ULTA in Brookfield either. It's always a mess and it seems like every thing is always swatched. The one in Waukesha is a little better, but it can be a hike depending where you live.

I don't like the ULTA in Brookfield either. It's always a mess and it seems like every thing is always swatched. The one in Waukesha is a little better, but it can be a hike depending where you live.
Ahh I see. I'm downtown! Waukesha is way far!

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine 

some reason I really love the new CW show reign
I watched 3 episodes and had to stop.  I'm extremely well informed on English monarchy and it drove me batshit nuts how inaccurate that show is.  I realise they're trying to put a young, fun spin on it as evidenced by the completely inappropriate for the time music track but stupid teens and tweens will think it's true.  I might have liked it if they had gone with fictional characters rather than bastardise the crap out of the horribly unfortunate life of Mary Stuart.

Just a thought but maybe should include our names in the survey if it isn't obvious in our screen names. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah! We should make a separate thread for it with sign ups. It would work as a circular swap box!
Was a separate thread started for this?  If not, I'd be happy to start one and take on the role of getting ideas for the "rules", coordinating it's travel and picking one up. @usofjessamerica, it was your idea, I don't want to step on your toes, I just thought I would throw the offer out there.

Go for it! I just wanted to get the penpal aspect off the ground. You're more than welcome to start the traveling journal/slam book thread in this group! Just post a link here and maybe in the secret Santa thread so people can see it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'd be happy to help if you need me!

Was a separate thread started for this?  If not, I'd be happy to start one and take on the role of getting ideas for the "rules", coordinating it's travel and picking one up. @usofjessamerica , it was your idea, I don't want to step on your toes, I just thought I would throw the offer out there.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I watched 3 episodes and had to stop.  I'm extremely well informed on English monarchy and it drove me batshit nuts how inaccurate that show is.  I realise they're trying to put a young, fun spin on it as evidenced by the completely inappropriate for the time music track but stupid teens and tweens will think it's true.  I might have liked it if they had gone with fictional characters rather than bastardise the crap out of the horribly unfortunate life of Mary Stuart.
Haha totally agree with you, but for some reason, I still enjoy it. It must be the historically inaccurate costumes and that I find Mary/Francis adorable.  

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Haha totally agree with you, but for some reason, I still enjoy it. It must be the historically inaccurate costumes and that I find Mary/Francis adorable. 
I call those kinds of shows "brain candy".  You may know they're not good for you but they are so enjoyable.  

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I call those kinds of shows "brain candy".  You may know they're not good for you but they are so enjoyable.  

That's great :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And unfortunately, I love shows like that! I use tv as mild distraction and/or background entertainment/stress relief, so I love fluffy things that don't require too much thought (New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, ANTM, Top Chef, Project Runway, etc). 

I haven't seen the one you guys are talking about, though!

When I was an intern I bonded with a few incredibly smart women who I looked up to through our mutual love of bad TV. I'm talking bad - Honey Boo Boo,Total Divas, Double Divas, Drop Dead Diva ... Any other show with "Diva" in it - or "housewives" for that matter. I like to think that all of the smart women watch very, very bad tv. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's great :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And unfortunately, I love shows like that! I use tv as mild distraction and/or background entertainment/stress relief, so I love fluffy things that don't require too much thought (New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, ANTM, Top Chef, Project Runway, etc).  I haven't seen the one you guys are talking about, though!

When I was an intern I bonded with a few incredibly smart women who I looked up to through our mutual love of bad TV. I'm talking bad - Honey Boo Boo,Total Divas, Double Divas, Drop Dead Diva ... Any other show with "Diva" in it - or "housewives" for that matter. I like to think that all of the smart women watch very, very bad tv.
smile.gif

I'm with you on this one.  After being serious and professional all day it is great to unwind with a show that just entertains.  My husband and I even started a drinking game that goes with the show Cops.  Every time someone says "These aren't my pants" or "This isn't my car", etc.  You have to take a drink.  Be careful though, almost no one on that show is wearing their own pants, lol.

I wonder if anyone here could give a crash course in using paypal shipping?  It sounds like it is fairly cheap but still a reliable way to ship.  I was thinking that it could make shipping small items between penpals a lot easier.  I haven't used it before.  How does it work?  Does printing the labels work okay?  Do I need to be able to weigh my package?  Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some tips. 

I wonder if anyone here could give a crash course in using paypal shipping?  It sounds like it is fairly cheap but still a reliable way to ship.  I was thinking that it could make shipping small items between penpals a lot easier.  I haven't used it before.  How does it work?  Does printing the labels work okay?  Do I need to be able to weigh my package?  Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some tips. 

I haven't done it yet because I don't have a functioning printer at this time but from what I understand, you do need a scale!

I need to invest in one and a new printer just for this!

Yay, I've collected a few penpals! A warning: don't be surprised if at some point, you receive a card or craft my residents have made for you, haha...they LOVE that stuff. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Aww, I love it!!!!!

I've used it for shipping yarn, and I do find a cheaper than taking it to the PO. Shipping labels should work...I just use plain printer paper. You do have to weigh (or guestimate weight; with my yarn it was easy as it was on the label), but you do not have to hook a scale to your computer to do it...you just manually type in the data. 

However, I have only been able to figure out how to print a label if someone has paid me with Paypal...if anyone knows how to do it for a random someone, I'd appreciate it if you could share how :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Go to PayPal.com/shipnow Enter your info + the info of the person you're sending it to Depending on weight and how fast it needs to get there I ususally do First Class for my padded envelopes in swaps. I also noticed that 3oz and 4 oz are the same price? That's usually my guestimatefkr some items. All items shipped through PayPal automatically get a tracking number.

Yay, I've collected a few penpals! A warning: don't be surprised if at some point, you receive a card or craft my residents have made for you, haha...they LOVE that stuff. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
that would be awesome!

Go to
PayPal.com/shipnow

Enter your info + the info of the person you're sending it to

Depending on weight and how fast it needs to get there I ususally do First Class for my padded envelopes in swaps. I also noticed that 3oz and 4 oz are the same price? That's usually my guestimatefkr some items. All items shipped through PayPal automatically get a tracking number.

Quote: Originally Posted by paralegalatl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've used it for shipping yarn, and I do find a cheaper than taking it to the PO. Shipping labels should work...I just use plain printer paper. You do have to weigh (or guestimate weight; with my yarn it was easy as it was on the label), but you do not have to hook a scale to your computer to do it...you just manually type in the data. 

However, I have only been able to figure out how to print a label if someone has paid me with Paypal...if anyone knows how to do it for a random someone, I'd appreciate it if you could share how :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks guys!  I have a small kitchen scale I could probably use.  I will have to experiment with this so I can send the occasional goodies to my pen pals.  

Thanks guys!  I have a small kitchen scale I could probably use.  I will have to experiment with this so I can send the occasional goodies to my pen pals.  
Don't forget you can probably reuse puffy envelopes that aren't too beat up (ipsys hold up well!) or you can buy a bunch for cheap on amazon. Saves way more money than buying from the PO or target. This keeps my swap/ship costs low too!

I have cards, stamps, and pens ready to go! I'm a huge sucker for post cards and luckily, there's a set on amazon for pretty cheap that I like! Let the pen paling begin!! Xoxox

Back