Keep it going! The Penpal Thread!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

::age range:: I'll be 25 in two weeks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::location:: Wisconsin::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?::  Combo::main interests:: Makeup, obviously. Writing. Reading. Movies. THE Green Bay Packers. My dog. ::described as:: Haha umm.. I honestly don't know how other people would describe me!::music:: I pretty much listen to the same stuff I was obsessed with in high school...Blink 182, New Found Glory, Alkaline Trio, Say Anything,Taking Back Sunday, Brand New.. Lots of others. My boyfriend is a metalhead so I listen to a lot of that too!::movies:: ALL OF THEM. I love movies. Empire Records is my all time favorite. ::TV shows:: Dexter, The Walking Dead, The Killing, The Office, Parks & Rec, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Chuck, Nurse Jackie, New Girl, Modern Family...::books/authours:: Chuck Palahniuk, John Green, Jeff Lindsay, JK Rowling ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Perks of Being a Wallflower, Looking For Alaska, Harry Potter. ::art/artists:: Ah, I'm not artsy enough to have a favorite artist. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love James Franco. I like to travel. I'm slowly but surely learning to cook (also, I LOVE FOOD). ::collect:: Shot glasses!::specifically seeking:: Friends and people to share my samples with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Whatever floats your boat. I'll probably write a variety, depending on time/things to say. ::how many pen pals do you want?:: Lots!::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: I don't know what that is, but yes! I'm intrigued. ::international or local penpals?:: Both. ::anything else?:: Nope! If you want to know more or want to be pals, just message me. 
Ahhh I'm a little late to the party, but here I am! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How does this work now? I just message the ladies I want to be pals with? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup! Exactly that!
Oh whoops! Totally waiting on being paired up or something. I better get to reading some surveys lol

Quote: Originally Posted by FrostKitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

::age range::  I'm going to be 50 in June - though my friends range in age from their 20's to 70's.  ::location:: Suburbs of Atlanta  ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Any of the above... I adore everything that has anything to do with actually writing letters.    ::main interests::  I am a knowledge junkie,  I'm a Humanist, Science Geek, Math Geek, Goth in the pre-Hot Topic sense of the word,   I read 10-15 books a week, and I'm a history/politics wonk.   I bake from scratch and I'm a floppy hat wearing gardening Southern Belle.  I love makeup - the history of makeup, the feminist rational for makeup, the psychology of makeup, the chemistry, the marketing... you get the idea I'm sure.     Truthfully and fair warning: the only thing I have no interest in, is hearing about how much better my truly amazing life would be if I found Jesus, gave up all the things I love and devoted myself to being a small minded judgmental mundane in the delusional hope that once I died that I'd have the opportunity to spend eternity surrounded by the small minded and judgmental mundanes who bored me while I was alive.    
::described as:: A castrating She-Devil by the people who love me and TERRIFYING by people who don't.    Seriously, I'm sarcastic, laugh at the inappropriate times, and I take very little seriously.  I'm a FEMINIST, I live a scandalously alternative lifestyle, and I ride a motorcycle.    ::music:: Anything from German Death Metal to Opera.   The only music I don't listen to is the auto-tuned garbage that all sounds the same.    ::movies:: Like music my tastes run the gamut from classic romances, musicals, horror, film noir... The only movies I don't like are anything Twilight and Titanic.   Don't get me started on why I really dislike those movies.    ::TV shows::  I don't watch much television.  I can't understand the logic behind reality television.  ::books/authours::  I read 10-15 books a week.   I read EVERYTHING - except, of course, for Inspirational Romance novels,    I lose myself in the written word.    ::art/artists:: Oh.. .where to start... No Thomas Kincaid ... everything else has some merit.  LOL.   When I visit a new city my first 2 days are devoted to Museums.     ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love Paris the non-tourist Paris and I love Florence.   I love road trips to small towns all over the South and take off with no planning when the mood strikes me.    ::collect:: Really Tacky Magnets, old kitchen gadgets, old cookbooks, Art Deco/Noveau Compacts and First Edition novels by female writers.   ::specifically seeking::  I know that everyone considers themselves interesting so I'll just put that I would love to find pen pals who lead lives filled with intellectual curiosity.   And I mean people who are actively living their lives... I can write pages on the joys of red lipstick or my views on why Yellow eye shadow should be a controlled substance, and would love to find a pen pal who understands why I'd do either.    ::prefer long, medium or short letters?::  I have no preference.  Sometimes a few lines are all that's needed to make a point   ::how many pen pals do you want?:: 3 or 4  ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?::  Yes ::international or local penpals?::  Or both would be lovely.    ::anything else?:: Nope.   

@FrostKitty, we're both feminists. Let's be friends.

I'm SO into this. Another person to gab about makeup with? I'm all in. 

::age range:: I'm in my early 20s, but I'm definitely open to intellectual friends of all ages (wow, does that sound pretentious or what? but.. I guess it's honest - I don't need any drama or to feel like I'm babysitting - it also might go without saying since many MUT ladies seem to be VERY intelligent)::location:: currently Chicago, IL (born and raised in Anchorage, AK)::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: I'd prefer physical mail initially, but I'm genuinely looking for a real friend who also indulges in their makeup obsession. Also, if you're in or around the Chicago area, I'd even be down for meeting and making a new, fun friend! (It's so hard to make female friendship connections in this city).::main interests:: I'm in my last semester of undergrad so I don't have much time for anything besides my makeup obsession. I also indulge in lots of corny TV, good food/resturants with my boyfriend, and NPR listening. I work in an archives so I basically spend hours upon hours listening to NPR; I love being informed about the world and its happenings. I also like a good radio sob story. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::described as:: fun (sometimes funny), very reliable/punctual, and probably quirky/goofy (if you really get to know me)::music:: Sara Barielles-type music, The Lumineers-esque, Alt-Country, Hip-Hop (the good dancing kind) and some Country (eek!)::movies:: I'll watch almost anything, to be honest.::TV shows:: I've been rewatching Gilmore Girls lately (still good 10 years later), lots of HGTV and the Food Network, and everything AMC. Obviously Orange is the New Black, too. ::books/authours:: Uhmmmmm, what is pleasure reading? I miss that. But seriously, I used to loveeee David Mitchell (you know the Cloud Atlas author).::art/artists:: ....not applicable :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but I do like the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago and the Art Institute... I just don't understand why I like them::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I miss Alaska so, so much. I'm taking a trip with my boyfriend in about 6 months, so my penpal will probably hear a lot about it. ::collect:: Besides makeup? Nothing! I am a minimalist. My whole life fits in two suitcases (and a backpack). ::specifically seeking:: A real, true friend. Bonus points if you actually live near Chicago and we can become real life friends, but I'm definitely not excluding anyone from any location. Definitely want letters, pictures, funny/personal stories, and small keepsakes or sample trading (no excessive gifts necessary), just little thoughtful things. ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: ANY!::how many pen pals do you want?:: The more, the merrier as long as they are open to real friendship! I have always been someone with a few close friends instead of many acquaintances. I'm looking for someone to really bond with (as cheesy as that sounds wowowowo). ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: maybe, it depends on how it was set up::international or local penpals?:: prefer local or within a reasonable shipping cost location::anything else?:: be my friend! I'm fun, seriously. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
ETA: I've decided that I'm open to any amount of penpals. The more, the merrier!

I tend to ramble, but I've tried to pare this down!  I've actually been editing this for a few days, and now the thread is looong, so I might be past the window of interest, but I'll throw this out anyway and go back through to see if anyone is still interested.

::age range::  Chronologically, I'm turning 42 in a few weeks.  Mentally, I'm about 25, specifically in Seattle circa 1997.  Yep, locked in time for ever and ever.  As for a penpal age, it doesn't really matter to me!

::location:: the People's Republic of Portland.

::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?::  either, both, or a combo!  I have wrist problems (thanks, thirteen years of jazz saxophone and even more years of endless typing!), so I tend to not do very well at handwriting, but I have a laptop and a printer.

::main interests::  makeup, progressive politics, movies (heavy on the indies, horror, thriller, mystery, political, and comic book varieties.  The next two movies I want to see:  _American Hustle_ and _The Wolf of Wall Street_.  Very light on the chick flick and epic variety), serial episodic tv with long mythologies (Lost, BSG, X-Files, Sons of Anarchy).  I'm starting to get into comics, preferably indies/smaller presses.

::described as::  snarky (read: witchy), meticulous (at least when it comes to work), eccentric (read: weird), rambling (read: this whole post).

::music::  rock (Motorhead, the Thermals, the Replacements), punk (Dead Kennedys, Against Me!, the Ramones), rap (Public Enemy, the Beastie Boys, the Coup).  Many, many more, but there's a tiny sampling.  During my workday, I tend to listen to progressive podcasts instead of music because my job is mainly data entry, and music isn't engaging enough for me to make it through the day without losing my mind, but outside of work, I will listen to pretty much anything genre-wise.  And that includes country.  I love Willie Nelson.  And Hank Williams.  And country noir like Neko Case and alt country like Wilco.  

::movies::  Genre-wise, I tend to go for horror and cult movies, but I love twisted psychological movies, too.  Favorites include: eXistenZ, Oldboy (the original), and Fight Club.  My inner eight-year-old is obsessed with comic book movies. She is very much looking forward to May 23rd.

::TV shows::  I love paranormal/science fiction serials with huge mythologies and police procedurals.  I'm currently in the middle of a rewatch of The X-Files.  It's been so long since I watched any of these that I barely remember any of them!  No reality shows.  I don't own a tv, so anything I watch is via a combination of Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes unless I *really* need to see something ASAP (Doctor Who, Sherlock).

::books/authors::  My all-time favorite book is Alice in Wonderland.  My favorite not-appropriate-for-kids is Good Omens.  Oh!  Matt Taibbi.  Love him.  And Neil Gaiman and Neal Stephenson.  I tend to spend my reading time focusing on politics and current events nowadays, so I don't really have a whole lot of fiction writers near the surface of my mind right now.  I love reading, but I love collecting information even more!  The internet has taken over my life in that respect.  

::art/artists::  Keith Haring.  No doubt about it.  I actually have a tattoo that is a blend of two of his murals on my arm.  Also Frida Kahlo.  I don't have any tattoos of her work.  I just love her stuff.  Dali is pretty awesome, too.  My preferred styles:  Pop art and surrealist.

::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places::  Welcome to Night Vale!  I'm a bit obsessed!  I'm also entering a graphic novel phase and looking for more suggestions of things to pick up.  I love love love the Bay Area (I tried to move to Oakland or Berkeley so I could try living somewhere completely new, but things went horribly awry, and I ended up in the town where I was born -- *on the bus line* that goes to the hospital where I was born), but I haven't really visited anywhere else, so I don't really have any other favorite places simply because I haven't been exposed to them.  I will watch anything involving Zeljko Ivanek, Miguel Ferrer, or Titus Welliver.  Yes, I dig That Guy character actors.  Steve Buscemi is a *god*.  

::collect::  things with black cats, bats, and skulls!  And Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume oil (although I'm trying to pare down that collection because I will simply never wear it all).  Also nail polish (heavy on glitters, holos, silvers, blues, grays, and greens.  I'm now trying to get into indies, but I don't know where to start!) and loose pigment (I have, um, a lot of Glamour Doll Eyes, and now I'm looking for other companies, preferably ones that do fandom-oriented collections).  I used to collect so much Sanrio stuff that it was assumed that I would eventually get a Hello Kitty tattoo.  That has not happened.  Yet.  (I also love Little Twin Stars and Badtz-Maru!)

::specifically seeking::  contact with people I do not work with or am related to.  Also someone to swap little things with!  I have already found myself eyeing the Valentine's Day stuff in stores (ALL OF THE PINK!  I have no idea how it happened, but I have become a bit obsessed with hot pink everything but nail polish) and thinking about putting together packages for people, but I don't have anyone to get stuff for!

::prefer long, medium or short letters?::  Doesn't matter!  Depending on how my hands are doing, I may have to type instead of hand-write, though, in case that makes a difference to anyone.  My handwriting can be…  challenging.  When I type, I can be…  verbose.

::how many pen pals do you want?::  Four?  Five?  I have no idea.  Everyone might have already exhausted their personal penpal match allotments, so at this point, one would be a nice start!

::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?::  sure!

::international or local penpals?::  Either one!  International stuff would take me a little longer to send out due to the logistics of getting to the post office, though.

::anything else?::  I have two cats I spend *far* too much time dealing with.  And did I mention the rambling?  Because…  yeah.  Oh, and I tend to swear.  A lot.  I blame genetics:  My dad's favorite tv show is _Deadwood_ -- because of the cussing.  One of his favorite movies is _The Devil's Rejects_ -- yeah, the Rob Zombie movie.  Dad is sixty-five years old.  One of our bonding experiences when I was in high school involved wallpaper from hell and the phrase "Don't tell your mother I used those words."  And that was well before he tried to teach me how to drive a stick shift.  Oh, and I have more trivia -- with an emphasis on pop culture prior to 2009 -- stuffed in my brain than any one person's head should be filled with.
Le sigh.  Even when I *try* to keep things brief, I fail.

I got my first penal letter today! SO EXCITING.  @Sunflowercake ,  I'm working on writing you today, it's my day off and I am insisting on only doing fun things! It'll probably me typed because I cut the heck out of my finger right where I rest my pens, ouch. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I sent off my first pen pal letter today.  I got some new cards for Christmas and am excited to use them.  
Hi I got it today (if you are talking about me!) and the card is AWESOME! I am sending out a letter to you right now!  

I am really excited actually- I'm about to mail out my first 'batch' of letters in general.  

If anyone wants anymore penpals, PM me! I'm actually sitting down with pen & paper so now is a good time because sometimes I tend to slack and forget to write back.

I was so excited to get my first card/letter today!  
yey.gif
yess.gif
  Awesome!!!  

Me too! Me too! Someone pick me! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm working on a couple cards right now to mail out when I get to the PO on Thursday. Horray!

If anyone wants anymore penpals, PM me! I'm actually sitting down with pen & paper so now is a good time because sometimes I tend to slack and forget to write back.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too! Me too! Someone pick me!
smile.gif

I'm working on a couple cards right now to mail out when I get to the PO on Thursday. Horray!
I pick you if it's a serious offer, but you have to be my last one! This will make it 7 and I know realistically that is my limit.

pm me your address if you want and I'll shoot mine back!

I meant to write my first few letters yesterday but I got sucked into putting a carpet shampooer together and I gave up on fun, ahah, but I think I will do that tonight. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Tomorrow 4 letters are going out and the other 3 in the next couple days. My hand is cramped. Lol

Back