Keep it going! The Penpal Thread!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@usofjessamerica I work in the Hotel business and have dealt with the Total Divas this year. Cry Babies during their interviews but total sweethearts for the most part in real life. I almost had a heart attack when one walked in the elevator wearing a ful body suit and all I could think was "how did she get that on?" and "will they cut that off of her?".

Anyhow, I love getting little crafts and I like to send little crafts as well.

I sent off my first pen pal letter today.  I got some new cards for Christmas and am excited to use them.  

When my parents first came to America they were super into WWF so I grew up watching the stuff when I was little. I'm into ANY behind the scenes type stuff so this is extra fun for me. I figured they aren't like how they are on the show as they are in real life but it's so nice to hear that confirmation lol

@usofjessamerica  I work in the Hotel business and have dealt with the Total Divas this year. Cry Babies during their interviews but total sweethearts for the most part in real life. I almost had a heart attack when one walked in the elevator wearing a ful body suit and all I could think was "how did she get that on?" and "will they cut that off of her?". Anyhow, I love getting little crafts and I like to send little crafts as well.

::age range:: I'm 23, but age is just a number.

::location:: NB, Canada

::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Physical Mail/Combo

::main interests:: Makeup, Culture, Music, My Family, Beauty in General, Self-Improvement, Shopping, Movies, Reading, Biographies & Documentaries, Social Media.

::described as:: Outgoing, Controversial, Random, Considerate.

::music:: I listen to everything from country and pop to rock and EDM. I love metal, hardcore and pop punk the most.

::movies:: Requiem for a Dream, Thirteen, The Sitters... Anything about people falling apart.. figuratively.

::TV shows:: WWE anything, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, True Blood, America's Next Top Model

::books/authours:: I love biographies. Rockstars, models and WWE superstars tend to be my favorites.

::art/artists:: Alex Pardee will always have a special place in my heart

::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love diamond print, skulls, nautical themes, nebula/galaxy prints, unicorns, glitter.

::collect:: I collect shot glasses & lingerie.

::specifically seeking:: Someone 20-35 who is open minded and willing to swap stories, experiences and some small gifts here & there.

::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Anything :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

::how many pen pals do you want?:: just a few

::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: I don't know what that is, but probably

::international or local penpals?:: Preferably someone within Canada. Cross-border shipping can be expensive.

::anything else?:: I am only 23 but I'm also a mother and fiancé.
 Here you go :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

::age range:: I just turned 30 :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but any age range is cool with me. ::location:: Colorado ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Any combination. But I'd love a pal to send pretties to. I have so much stuff from subscription boxes that I need to pass along. ::main interests:: Kitties, Red Wine, Working out, Makeup, Nail polish, Subscription Boxes, Fashion, sleeping, going out to eat, cooking :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::described as:: Outgoing, loud, funny, sarcastic, workaholic, busy body, happy, sleepy, talkative :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::music:: I like a wide variety. Depends on my mood. I'm terrible with song lyrics but I always remember a beat of a song. Weird. I like hip hop and rap (obnoxious top 40 pop music), alternative, indie, pretty much anything except country music (can't do it!). ::movies:: A League Of Their Own, Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, and of course silly comedy movies. ::TV shows:: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Project Runway, Orange is the New Black, Anything on HGTV but I really don't have time for much tv. I'm still catching up on a lot of stuff in my DVR. ::books/authours:: Harry Potter of course! For Fiction my favs are: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and To Kill A Mockingbird. But I mostly read memoirs and human interest non fiction. I'll take any recommendations! I'll pretty much read anything. I love to read. I'll even read fluffy girly books too if I just wanna read something. ::art/artists:: I love Art! I was an Art History major until I switched to Fashion Design/Merchandising. I love all types. Pop Art and Expressionism are my two favorites. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: Favorite people; my 3 kitties and my husband, my crazy Sicilian family and my co-workers (I adore them, there's only 6 of us). Favorite places; work (yeah I'm weird), my bed (I loveeeee sleep), the gym, Chicago (I moved away 6 years ago), anywhere that's by the BEACH, ughhh for living in a land locked state!! ::collect:: I love Hello Kitty, Weird cat stuff, Makeup (I think I hoard more than collect! Lol) Buddhas, Vintage Fiestaware and Vintage Tupperware. Really any vintage housewares. ::specifically seeking:: Some to swap and exchange pretties and notes with. Just something to brighten someone's day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: whatever strikes their fancy ::how many pen pals do you want?:: however many want to talk to me lol ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: ooooh yeah! Makes me think of Means Girls Burn Book lol, none of that please :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good flick though ::international or local penpals?:: either or both ::anything else?:: I work A LOT so the frequency of packages and hand written letters would probably be just a couple a month but I am great with communication and would always email/PM to keep my pals in the loop. I'm on MUT daily. So no issue there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jamie P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need to choose a pal! Eek! Pressure! Haha

Haha, I initially set out thinking that I would just pick one...then I thought that 3 would be a good number...then there were more amazing people and it was 5...I want ALL the penpals!

Let the fun begin ...
So I figured I would start it here in the SS group and maybe someone can show me how to form another group. Of course, join at your own discretion. I was part of a similar group where we would post our little surveys/profiles and "choose" who we would like via PM directly to that person. Here's a survey to get us started with some of the basics -- please post in a spoiler. ::age range:: mid thirties ... ::location:: Burbs of Detroit ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: it all sounds great!! ::main interests:: I love to travel-my favorite places so far Cinque Terre, Italy & New Orleans is my fav us city. Lately my life has been consumed with building my dream home- I'm hoping to be done in the next couple months. My life seems to revolve around building materials - it's been fun but I'm so ready to move in!! And , of course I luv makeup, skin care, fashion & everything Girly !! I love to cook - the spicer the better- there's no such thing as too much garlic... I'm a wine enthusiast- I've been to Tuscany & Barolo region & extensively throughout napa & Sonoma - my favorite is super Tuscan & Amarone. I probably drink too much vino but oh we'll - another thing about me is that I don't care what others think...lol! ::described as:: Fun- I luv to have a good time. ::music:: I'm kinda all over the board- classic rock, top 40, Train, Kid Rock, & Im a closet Britney fan ::movies:: I just like to laugh- any comedy's ::TV shows:: I'm a BRAVO junkie- I luv it ALL... Especially Housewives ... I also like Revenge!! ::books/authors:: Bring on the trash novels... ::art/artists:: When traveling I love to go to museums- Im interested in art history!! ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I can't think of anything right now, maybe I'll edit later:D ::collect:: makeup - I've always been a makeup junkie . I've been collecting vintage furniture- I luv shabby chic look!! Right now I have way too many pieces to refinish. ::specifically seeking:: gal pal gossip & random mail surprises/presents ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: all of the above ::how many pen pals do you want?:: 1 ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Not sure what it is but I'm game!! ::international or local penpals?:: Either ::anything else?:: my sister & I own a real estate business together. My business & my family are my life.

::age range:: I'll be 25 in two weeks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::location:: Wisconsin::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?::  Combo::main interests:: Makeup, obviously. Writing. Reading. Movies. THE Green Bay Packers. My dog. ::described as:: Haha umm.. I honestly don't know how other people would describe me!::music:: I pretty much listen to the same stuff I was obsessed with in high school...Blink 182, New Found Glory, Alkaline Trio, Say Anything,Taking Back Sunday, Brand New.. Lots of others. My boyfriend is a metalhead so I listen to a lot of that too!::movies:: ALL OF THEM. I love movies. Empire Records is my all time favorite. ::TV shows:: Dexter, The Walking Dead, The Killing, The Office, Parks & Rec, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Chuck, Nurse Jackie, New Girl, Modern Family...::books/authours:: Chuck Palahniuk, John Green, Jeff Lindsay, JK Rowling ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Perks of Being a Wallflower, Looking For Alaska, Harry Potter. ::art/artists:: Ah, I'm not artsy enough to have a favorite artist. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love James Franco. I like to travel. I'm slowly but surely learning to cook (also, I LOVE FOOD). ::collect:: Shot glasses!::specifically seeking:: Friends and people to share my samples with :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Whatever floats your boat. I'll probably write a variety, depending on time/things to say. ::how many pen pals do you want?:: Lots!::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: I don't know what that is, but yes! I'm intrigued. ::international or local penpals?:: Both. ::anything else?:: Nope! If you want to know more or want to be pals, just message me. 
Ahhh I'm a little late to the party, but here I am! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How does this work now? I just message the ladies I want to be pals with? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Oops, having now read some other responses I think I interpreted some of the questions wrong. I'm going to go try and edit, please reread if you saw my response and were like, huh? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> *edit*. Too late. Mainly on the specifically seeking, I'm looking for a periodic pal who is interested in exchanging small packages and box extras :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oopsies. I realized my answers were wonky/can be easily misinterpreted. I can't edit so I'll just quote and repost answers below :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yay!
::age range:: early 20s. IM 22 but I would love a pen pal of any age! ::location:: WI ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: I love real mail! But combo works for me ::main interests:: I'm pretty boring because I'm in grad school in real life lol but I love makeup and deal hunting. I do watch a lot of bad TV, cook, workout, go to my favorite bar and shop in my downtime. I also go to a lot of concerts. ::described as:: everyone says I'm sweet but I think I'm super snarky :devilish: my friends describe me as "busy" and "hilarious". I know how to keep things fun! ::music:: indie rock ::movies:: Tarantino movies! I'm all across the board on movies - lots of indies, documentaries... Anything but scary. I'm a baby. ::TV shows:: modern family, HIMYM, OMG SHARK TANK, bad tv like total divas... Anything really. ::books/authours:: gotta love my Russians ::art/artists:: Rothko! ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I like food ::collect:: postcards, records, photo booth strips, and set lists! ::specifically seeking:: someone fun! ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: either ::how many pen pals do you want?:: the more the merrier! ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: yes! ::international or local penpals?:: either! I can definitely kick out US letters since I have a bunch of stamps ::anything else?:: I hope people have a good time! Just PM me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Why not...I think one of my goals for next year is to be less of a hermit, so here goes:

::age range:: Not picky.
::location:: Pacific Northwest
::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Either or, but there's a certain charm about physical.
::main interests:: Reading, cooking, baking, playing games (tabletop and video), building models
::described as:: snarky, quiet, a good cook, stubborn
::music:: Anything other than rap and country. My music varies from metal to soundtracks to orchestral.
::movies:: Good action/SF/F movies
::TV shows:: Doctor Who, Babylon 5, Sherlock, Top Gear (both Brit and US), Iron Chef America, most anything on the Food Network. I used to watch anime ages ago.
::books/authours:: Cookbooks, fantasy/SF, Anne McCaffrey, CJ Cherryh. I have a profound respect for Mercedes Lackey and I should really read more of her books
::art/artists:: Michael Whelan, Nene Thomas
::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I have a fascination with the British Monarchy and British history, castles. One of these years I need to figure out how to crochet, I love the color purple. I love coffee and tea, and will drink both like they're water.
::collect:: Hello Kitty most anything, candles, cookbooks, indie polish, dragons, snarky fridge magnets.
::specifically seeking:: Someone who I can exchange random letters/postcards with as well as exchange small presents on occasion (this would be if I saw something cool that would be perfect for this or that person, or samples from my stash that might be better suited to someone else. Or it might be random baking. Who knows!)
::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Either or. Some days I will probably write more than others. Some days it might be a postcard.
::how many pen pals do you want?:: Probably a couple to start.
::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Hmm.
::international or local penpals?:: Either works, but there's a certain charm to receiving something from another country.
::anything else?:: Nothing that hasn't been mentioned already. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OMG this sounds so fun! Love it!!!

::age range:: I'm 23 but like to talk to everyone so it doesn't really matter to me::location:: Hartford, CT!!!::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: I'm good with any.  I'm constantly emailing people for work/life but physical mail gives me an opportunity to break out the craft supplies...::main interests:: Makeup, nails, general things in life, movies, snacks/baking, clothes, managing my shoe hoard...::described as::  People have said I'm creative and organized and cheerful.  My students used to believe I had some sort of crazy adventurous life beyond teaching them for some reason? I don't what that says about my personality but there ya go!::music::  ummm kind of all over the place with music.  I usually space out to it and don't really listen to it so much as I use it for background music. ::movies:: I'm into horror movies and the occasional slapstick type comedy or Woody Allen film.  Oh and Pixar movies.  Omg I'm dying for the next Finding Nemo. (Not to sound like a five year old or anything...)::TV shows::  American Horror Story, Orange is the New Black, Futurama, Hemlock Grove... Mostly Netflix shows honestly::books/authours::  I love Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Poe, all the American classics really.  I taught English lit to high school students for a while so I really got a chance to explore my love of the classics and you really just can't beat them.  (Unless it is the Mindy Kahling book. Omg that was hysterical!)::art/artists:: I love ancient art. My BA was in history and archaeology so I really just love ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian art.::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places::  Hartford has a crazy number of local cafes so I can usually be found hovering around one of them when I'm not working.  I get super distracted when I'm in my apartment or in the library so I'm usually working on my MA thesis in there.::collect:: makeup, shoes, washi tape, and hot chocolate flavors accidentally? I seriously have no idea how that one started but now I'm like constantly surrounded by hot chocolate mix!::specifically seeking:: anyone as talkative as me and who is friendly::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: doesn't matter really::how many pen pals do you want?:: at least one?::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: sure, why not::international or local penpals?:: doesn't matter::anything else?:: pick me! pretty please with sugar on top :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, I initially set out thinking that I would just pick one...then I thought that 3 would be a good number...then there were more amazing people and it was 5...I want ALL the penpals!
ME TOO. 

::age range::  I'm going to be 50 in June - though my friends range in age from their 20's to 70's.  ::location:: Suburbs of Atlanta  ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Any of the above... I adore everything that has anything to do with actually writing letters.    ::main interests::  I am a knowledge junkie,  I'm a Humanist, Science Geek, Math Geek, Goth in the pre-Hot Topic sense of the word,   I read 10-15 books a week, and I'm a history/politics wonk.   I bake from scratch and I'm a floppy hat wearing gardening Southern Belle.  I love makeup - the history of makeup, the feminist rational for makeup, the psychology of makeup, the chemistry, the marketing... you get the idea I'm sure.     Truthfully and fair warning: the only thing I have no interest in, is hearing about how much better my truly amazing life would be if I found Jesus, gave up all the things I love and devoted myself to being a small minded judgmental mundane in the delusional hope that once I died that I'd have the opportunity to spend eternity surrounded by the small minded and judgmental mundanes who bored me while I was alive.    
::described as:: A castrating She-Devil by the people who love me and TERRIFYING by people who don't.    Seriously, I'm sarcastic, laugh at the inappropriate times, and I take very little seriously.  I'm a FEMINIST, I live a scandalously alternative lifestyle, and I ride a motorcycle.    ::music:: Anything from German Death Metal to Opera.   The only music I don't listen to is the auto-tuned garbage that all sounds the same.    ::movies:: Like music my tastes run the gamut from classic romances, musicals, horror, film noir... The only movies I don't like are anything Twilight and Titanic.   Don't get me started on why I really dislike those movies.    ::TV shows::  I don't watch much television.  I can't understand the logic behind reality television.  ::books/authours::  I read 10-15 books a week.   I read EVERYTHING - except, of course, for Inspirational Romance novels,    I lose myself in the written word.    ::art/artists:: Oh.. .where to start... No Thomas Kincaid ... everything else has some merit.  LOL.   When I visit a new city my first 2 days are devoted to Museums.     ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love Paris the non-tourist Paris and I love Florence.   I love road trips to small towns all over the South and take off with no planning when the mood strikes me.    ::collect:: Really Tacky Magnets, old kitchen gadgets, old cookbooks, Art Deco/Noveau Compacts and First Edition novels by female writers.   ::specifically seeking::  I know that everyone considers themselves interesting so I'll just put that I would love to find pen pals who lead lives filled with intellectual curiosity.   And I mean people who are actively living their lives... I can write pages on the joys of red lipstick or my views on why Yellow eye shadow should be a controlled substance, and would love to find a pen pal who understands why I'd do either.    ::prefer long, medium or short letters?::  I have no preference.  Sometimes a few lines are all that's needed to make a point   ::how many pen pals do you want?:: 3 or 4  ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?::  Yes ::international or local penpals?::  Or both would be lovely.    ::anything else?:: Nope.   

::age range:: Doesn't matter to me. I just hit 50, but think that age is just a number and similar interests are more important.

::location:: A Jersey girl who recently relocated to South Carolina ::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Prefer snail mail, as I love getting mail!   ::main interests:: reading, travel, mindless Facebook games, reading, playing with my dog, reading, and just hanging out with my husband. (I'm a big reader...ha!) ::described as:: shy & quiet until we get to know each other, then as a funny, sarcastic, opinionated, scatter-brained, bleeding heart liberal with a heart of gold. Hmmmmm. maybe I should get new friends if that's how they describe me?  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />    ::music:: Open to almost any style except rap and hard-core country. To be honest, I prefer silence most of the time. ::movies:: I like action, science, fiction, adventure, comedy, and anything well-done. Not a big fan of movies without a plot though, and can't remember the last time we actually went to the theater. If there's something we want to see, we usually wait for it to come to cable. ::TV shows:: Grimm, Once Upon A Time, OUAT in Wonderland, Big Bang Theory, Dr. Who, Elementary, The Blacklist. Gee, I seem to watch more TV than I thought! (geek alert!) ::books/authors:: Love urban fantasy! Favorite authors are Jennifer Estep, Neil Gaiman, Dean Koontz, and Kelley Armstrong. Open to any genre so long as it's well-written, but don't really care for sports stories, medical thrillers, or overly religious themes. I love books and they cover almost every available surface in my home, so would love to connect with other readers! ::art/artists:: I usually prefer realistic artwork, with the exception of Salvador Dali. There's just something about his "unique" point of view that really appeals to me! ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: London is my favorite city and have visited several times, but also love Paris and Rome. Would love to explore more of Europe some day! Love animals and would have a houseful of cats and dogs if possible, but right now we just have the one dog.  ::collect:: Unique souvenirs, postcards, autographed books, David Winter cottages, gargoyles, candles, and nail polish. ::specifically seeking:: Someone with similar interests who might be interested in exchanging small gifts as well as letters, as I subscribe to several make-up boxes and don't always use the samples they send. I also love baking and enjoy sharing the results. Just letters is cool too though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: No preference, although I think it's better to exchange short notes rather than feel pressured to write a novel. Sometimes I'm in a chatty mood, and sometimes I'm not... ::how many pen pals do you want?:: 2 or 3 ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: Not quite sure what this is, so will say no (for now) ::international or local penpals?:: no preference ::anything else?:: Aside from the secret hope that I'll one day be a Doctor Who companion, nothing to add. *L*
Sounds like fun!

I don't know how I ended up in this thread but this sounds pretty cool. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

::age range:: I'm 24, but any age is good!::location:: Western WA as of 2011, previously from Puerto Rico::do you prefer an e-penpal, physical mail pal, or a combo?:: Either way is good. ::main interests:: Currently taking 16 credits of physics, chemistry and calculus in college so by necessity it's become my obsession. Other than that I like makeup, nail polish and learning about all things academia, as well as baking, cooking and futile attempts at good diet and exercise. Things I find interesting: physics, astronomy, politics, literature, math, fashion, makeup trends, psychology and current/world affairs and news.
::described as:: I've been told I'm pretty random. 
::music:: Disney music, Starkid songs, alternative/punk/hard rock, and I like listening to the country music station when I drive for some reason ::movies:: All things Disney and Pixar as well as fantasy, comedy and horror ::TV shows:: Spanish comedy (Aquí No Hay Quien Viva and La Que Se Avecina) and The Big Bang Theory are the only two I can afford to watch faithfully, but I also like anime, King of the Hill and stuff I can find on the Internetz because we don't have cable ::books/authours:: Harry Potter, 18th to 19th century British lit (the Brontë sisters and Mary Shelley are my fave), Russian classics currently on waitlist, Isaac Asimov and Ernesto Sábato's "El túnel". Currently on my wish list for light reading: urban fantasy and dark fantasy, I can never get enough of those. ::art/artists:: I'm illiterate when it comes to art. ::eek:ther random favorite people/things/places:: I love food. ::collect:: Makeup and nail polish. ::specifically seeking:: A friend. ::prefer long, medium or short letters?:: Any and all of them, depending on how much time we have at that particular moment. ::how many pen pals do you want?:: Exactly e friends. No more than e. (Just kidding, any and all!) ::would you participate in a "traveling journal"?:: What is that. ::international or local penpals?:: I'll take what I can get. ::anything else?:: I'm currently an army wife, attending a hippie liberal arts college and have the cutest toddler who has ASD. I also have a cat, so hit me up if you want cat pictures. 

Back