Makeout 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As much as I love it, I don't want to be a beauty hoarder and I don't want to collect anything either.  My goal is to have a reasonably sized stash of tried and trues.
Exactly! I got very caught up in 'building a collection' when really, why am I collecting makeup? I want good skin, I'm not going to be a makeup artist! And skincare, foundations....goes bad...and doesn't need to be collected. 

Quote: The biggest blow is usually realizing that I've only used something a handful of times and then knowing how much it cost. Ouch. Even the drugstore stuff adds up after a while. But the way I'm looking at it is that the money is already gone, And for me, that's to save money and have less clutter.
Yeah, a few years ago, I can to the realization that I would rather have a handful of clothes and shoes that I really like and really use a lot - not a bunch of stuff that I'm just okay with...too many 'meh' clothes just created clutter and made it hard to get dressed in the morning. Why didn't I come to this realization with my makeup, skincare and toiletries?!

Quote: Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I look forward to reading about everyone else's stories and progress with this. Thank you, tgooberbutt, for bringing this here! I don't watch as many beauty videos on youtube anymore, so I don't think I ever would've stumbled upon it.

LOL - I think we both have @melle to thank for this (I'm going to throw her under the bus on this!) When she posted PinkSoFoxy's video, I not only watched that one, but all her decluttering ones, and immediately started sorting my 'hoard' and was shocked!

Well, thanks to you both! I also saw PinkSoFoxy's decluttering series, and it was so helpful.  I plan to rewatch when I need a boost or get discouraged. Also helpful is watching episodes of Hoarders! I get major heebie jeebies after watching that show, but every time I see an episode, I go on an extra deep cleaning spree around here. I feel like I might have a hoarding tendency, and I really want to nip it in the bud.

I think we need to hope PinkSoFoxy doesn't make a video explaining why she's decided to rob a bank.  If the woman can talk us - of all people - into following her lead on a near-total halt of makeup buying, what can't she talk us into?! 
icon_eek.gif

What do you consider as one purchase? if it's a set with a ton of stuff wouldn't that be more than one item? :-/

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you consider as one purchase? if it's a set with a ton of stuff wouldn't that be more than one item? :-/
I guess it depends on how each person defines it, but just to be true to your purpose. The set of mask masks that I bought was a 6pack - that's the only size they sell them in. But realistically, if they sold the 6-pack in a combination set with 5 other things for the same price or just a little bit more - I'd probably still count that as one item...yeah loophole, but I'm not going to force myself into a poor monetary deal... But on the other hand, I do have to be careful not to 'trade up' to a set/combo pack of items that I won't use or don't need.

In short...define it how you want, but be true to why you're doing the Makeout..

yeah I guess i'm doing it to stop having so many things, not as much for financial reasons. my room/bathroom are too cluttered as is!

Yeah - to get rid of the clutter, I combined a bunch of partially used conditioners, nail polish removers, and shampoos.

For the stuff I know I'll never use, I listed a bunch of samples and unopened full-sized items on eBay and amazon (already sold a few), and put together a care-package for my mom. 

Now's the hard part, to get through all the stuff that I want to get through/try/use. Using stuff up? Truly slow going. I've only used up two samples so far. Geez.

I found the Pinksofoxy video through another youtuber and recently rewatched it and decided to makeout.

Last week I pulled out some makeup I had that I never use to give to my sisters. I plan on cancelling sample society and possibly Glossybox. I am also not buying anymore lipstick, lipgloss or blush. I am determined to use up some of my makeup this year. i've been trying to use the same blush & lipstick every day until I use it up and then move on to the next.

I've also been trying to trade the items on my swap list for things I know I'll use up like shampoo/conditioner/hair stylers and the schick razors. That way I get rid of things in my stash and I get items I know I will be using up sooner rather than later.

I got so caught up in the whole makeup collection a couple of years ago and now I have more makeup than I know what to do with and now I'm on a mission to downsize.

Of course i say all this after just posting on the UD Oz palette thread stating that I plan on buying the Theodora palette once it's at sephora!!!  
icon_eek.gif

For me, whether I count as one or multiples will depend on the item(s).  For instance, the set of 5 Smudge Sticks count as 1.  Considering I would have allowed a black and a brown without counting it at all, and the kit has one of each of those, and I'm doing this mainly to quit spending so much $$$ and the set cost less than two individuals would have been, I think that's okay. 

Also - and this leads me to declare the second of my ten items - I bought two Maybelline Color Tattoos in Barely Branded.  I was hoping they would replace the need for a Painterly Paint Pot cheaper, and if they had, I wouldn't have counted them at all because I was allowing that as a no-count.  But since they're metallic, I'm probably still gonna need a Paint Pot for the blue shadows on my nose at the inner corner of my eyes.  =(  Maybelline products were BOGO50% and I considered not getting a second item at all, but thought that seemed a bit ridiculous.  If I'd have bought one Barely Branded and a lip gloss, or a different color of Tattoo, I would have felt it counted as two.  But since I got a neutral primer and a backup, I'm counting the two of 'em as one.

It's really amazingly intricate and convoluted logic we use when making these decisions, isn't it?

Oh - and after the January Birchbox, I quit.  My last remaining sub.  I'd been telling myself it was only $5 after I got my points for reviews, but I finally had to admit that I've been getting them since August and haven't gotten a single item I reallyreally liked, so even that $5 is wasted.  And also I justified buying things from their store that were WAY more than I'd usually pay because I was buying them with points rather than "real money".  And I already have a skincare routine that I like, so I really hated using skincare samples they send, but didn't want to waste them...  So yeah - I cancelled.

And also I justified buying things from their store that were WAY more than I'd usually pay because I was buying them with points rather than "real money".  And I already have a skincare routine that I like, so I really hated using skincare samples they send, but didn't want to waste them...  So yeah - I cancelled.
So true! The store is so overpriced...I'm prepaid until july, but I will likely let it expire if they don't meet my needs better. It hasn't been worth the approx $5/mo for me either.

Yeah, so I'm startin' to think I'm gonna fail miserably at this.  I'm on a low-buy for the month, I'm trying Makeout, and even with both of these things happening, I've already used 5 of my 10 items.

I've already mentioned (1) the Stila Smudge Stick set and (2) the two Color Tattoos in Barely Branded.  Yesterday I gave in to the Missha offer of a free full-size BB cream with any first purchase of $1 or more.  I spent $4.50 for (3)  a pore filler I'd like to try that was on sale, and $8 or $9 for shipping.  I use Skin79 BB and really like it, but my skin's very oily and Skin79 wears off quickly, so I've wanted to try Missha for a while. 

Then today KMart had a sale on Revlon.  I have one of their Colorstay eyeshadow quads that's beautiful and neutral and not shimmery, and I use it for work most days.  I'm getting close to hitting pan on the two lighter colors.  Instead of waiting for that and getting the same set again, I got (4) another with four more neutral not-shimmery colors now, and I can mix 'em up.  Also got a (5) Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain.  I've wanted to try these for a while, it's a perfect color for me (Rendezvous, which is orangish), and the stain and the quad both together came to around $10.

So.  Eleven months and five items left.  Ummmmmm - yeah.

Bright side, these are things I believe I would have spent 5 items on at some point of the year anyway, if not now.  They're also things that will be staples that I wear most days (assuming the Missha isn't terrible on me), and I didn't break the bank.  So I'm not calling this a Makeout lost cause.  ETA - yet.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

awww.... hang in there. Do you have any leeway with if you use up the products that you have? 

I just bought a Dr.DennisGross peel from Sephora online to get my birthday gift.... I'll count the peel, since I bought it, but the gift...well, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

two down, but I've used up about 10 samples already, and I'm getting close on a couple of full sizes....and I sold a few of my unopened full sizes on eBay so net-net, more is leaving my place than is coming in, and that's  good thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

awww.... hang in there. Do you have any leeway with if you use up the products that you have? 

I just bought a Dr.DennisGross peel from Sephora online to get my birthday gift.... I'll count the peel, since I bought it, but the gift...well, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

two down, but I've used up about 10 samples already, and I'm getting close on a couple of full sizes....and I sold a few of my unopened full sizes on eBay so net-net, more is leaving my place than is coming in, and that's  good thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
From what I understand, it's a pretty firm "just 10 products."

I just got my first purchase of my 10 of the year ugh I so regret it! I am considering a purchase anything under 55 $ that goes together 1! My first was a 29.99 little black bag I so regret it dont love the items haha but will be smarter only 9 left!

I was thinking recently that I might like to do an "allowance" system with make-up and my no-buy.

Rather than saying I can get 10 products (because then I might use that as an excuse to get nothing but Dior), I was thinking instead that I could open a small side bank account and put in $20 of every paycheck that I'd normally be spending on cosmetics here and there at the drug store over two weeks.

One, it gives a nice visual to how much money I was spending (let's be real, it was probably more than that), and it gives me a nice stockpile to draw from when I do run out of something and want to get something special.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Originally Posted by liquidlinernote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking recently that I might like to do an "allowance" system with make-up and my no-buy.

Rather than saying I can get 10 products (because then I might use that as an excuse to get nothing but Dior), I was thinking instead that I could open a small side bank account and put in $20 of every paycheck that I'd normally be spending on cosmetics here and there at the drug store over two weeks.

One, it gives a nice visual to how much money I was spending (let's be real, it was probably more than that), and it gives me a nice stockpile to draw from when I do run out of something and want to get something special.

Has anyone ever tried this?
For me, I think that would be too much spent on cosmetics still. 20 dollars a week every two weeks for a full year is over 500 dollars. While last year, I spent probably closer to 4000 on make up, I think I'd still find that high for my make out year. Of course, your make out is what you want it to be!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, I think that would be too much spent on cosmetics still. 20 dollars a week every two weeks for a full year is over 500 dollars. While last year, I spent probably closer to 4000 on make up, I think I'd still find that high for my make out year. Of course, your make out is what you want it to be!
Just having the money set aside wouldn't mean you had to spend it. But it might be a good idea for those of us who spend blindly without a clue how much we are actually blowing.

To my horror, I qualified for Sephora VIB and ULTA Platinum status this past year. That translates to a minimum of $700, just at those 2 stores!
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by StillPooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just having the money set aside wouldn't mean you had to spend it. But it might be a good idea for those of us who spend blindly without a clue how much we are actually blowing.

To my horror, I qualified for Sephora VIB and ULTA Platinum status this past year. That translates to a minimum of $700, just at those 2 stores!
icon_eek.gif
See, that's what I'm thinking -- in some ways, it's a nice way to see how much money you spend over time, how quickly it adds up and that you could maybe just be spending it on something else. BUT, on the other hand, it is there as a stash if you want it, instead of dipping into your normal savings.

Because I'm the same -- I know I spent more than $500.00 last year, and as hard as I try with this no-buy, I think if I allow myself to buy "one little thing" I'm going to buy something stupid expensive to make up for the lack of shopping. This reigns it in a bit more.

love the idea of setting aside money each month.  I've been thinking about doing that myself.  This way you set yourself a firm budget and spend ONLY whatever's in your budget on makeup, guilt-free.  Since you're setting the money aside, it's separated from your other funds so no getting wishy washy about spending more than is available in your specific makeup fund.  I was thinking of doing it via cash, but I guess that makes online shopping a lot harder.

The other thing I've been thinking of doing is making an actual list of all the beauty items I've purchased over the last 2-3 months.  I've never just sat down at looked at it all, and it's hard to keep track of since I buy from Sephora, Ulta, RiteAid, etc etc.  I'm pretty sure once I do I'll be shocked at how much I wasted on beauty/makeup.

Back