Makeout 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still working through the backlog. Maybe my face just isn't that big...or maybe I just have a shiiiat ton of samples to get through. I'm through about 20 sample size facial care stuff... still a ton of shampoos and makeup....it's gonna take me awhile. I've spent 2 of 5 allowances, and have 'earned back' an allowance for all the samples I used...but really have no desire to buy anything right now... sephora dbay present collected instore w/o a purchase (victory!) Ud f&f sale resisted (hooray)

Purchase 6 yesterday.  Last month at KMart's 40% off Revlon sale, I got my first Kissable Lip Balm (got the coralish one and I LOVE it under other lip stuff, so that when the other stuff wears off I still have a bit of color left) and a Colorstay eye quad in neutrals (I wear the hell out of the one I already had).  There were a few more colors of the balm and another eye quad I wanted, but they didn't have them.  I counted those two items as one allowance.

Yesterday Rite-Aid ran the same sale, so I got three more balms and another quad.  Spent $22.  Although there were 4 items, I'm counting the whole purchase as one more allowance.

Yep - I've used up a lot of my yearly allowances already.  More than half.  But I'm very pleased with all of them - except the Missha BB Cream.  Really wanted to try it, so I'm glad I did, and I'll use it up.  But I don't like it nearly as much as my Skin79.

so painful trying to use up the stupid WEN conditioner/shampoo from last years myglam bag. My hair doesn't feel clean afterwards. There's gotta be a clause where I can chuck something that just doesn't work and count it as 'finished,' no? 

ooo...and I'm tempted by the sephora 3x points promotion. There's a $10 tocca sampler, but I think it's tripple points on the entire purchase?  Sad panda...I don't NEED anything right now though :/ 

PS - @melee which Skin79 do you use, the pink bottle? I actually like the Missha (#27) better than the pink Skin79...which looks greyish on me.

so painful trying to use up the stupid WEN conditioner/shampoo from last years myglam bag. My hair doesn't feel clean afterwards. There's gotta be a clause where I can chuck something that just doesn't work and count it as 'finished,' no?  ooo...and I'm tempted by the sephora 3x points promotion. There's a $10 tocca sampler, but I think it's tripple points on the entire purchase?  Sad panda...I don't NEED anything right now though :/  PS - @melee which Skin79 do you use, the pink bottle? I actually like the Missha (#27) better than the pink Skin79...which looks greyish on me.
If a product doesn't work for me I give it away or toss it. Life's too short to use products you don't like, just my 2 cents. The Missha didn't work for me at all so I gave it to a friend and she likes it. Win-Win.

Yep, I use the hot pink Skin79, and the color is perfect for me.  Not grey at all.  There are certain perfumes that smell like a belch on me, and the Missha has whatever causes that smell in it.  It also just doesn't cover my redness the way the Skin79 does, and doesn't deal with my oiliness as well.  It's not bad (other than the scent).  If I'd never tried the Skin79 I'd probably like it, because it's still better than foundations on me.  I use it on weekends.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a product doesn't work for me I give it away or toss it. Life's too short to use products you don't like, just my 2 cents. The Missha didn't work for me at all so I gave it to a friend and she likes it. Win-Win.
I second this.  You join MyGlam to try new things, but not to feel forced to continue using products you don't like and didn't even choose.  Give yourself a break and points for effort and chuck it!

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so painful trying to use up the stupid WEN conditioner/shampoo from last years myglam bag. My hair doesn't feel clean afterwards. There's gotta be a clause where I can chuck something that just doesn't work and count it as 'finished,' no? 

ooo...and I'm tempted by the sephora 3x points promotion. There's a $10 tocca sampler, but I think it's tripple points on the entire purchase?  Sad panda...I don't NEED anything right now though :/ 

PS - @melee which Skin79 do you use, the pink bottle? I actually like the Missha (#27) better than the pink Skin79...which looks greyish on me.
If you don't like it for your hair, try it as a shaving lotion kinda thing if you shave ^^ or just maybe give it to someone else? Don't throw it away though, if it has a pump the product will be fine. I'm sorry, but I really dislike when people says: I'll just throw it out. I hate throwing out food just cuz we forgot to eat it and it went bad, I do it so often! And feel so bad. If I don't like a product that is perfectly fine and clean, I'll just pass it on or use it for something else. 

mmm...never thought to use it as shave lotion. I had thought about brush cleaner, but then thought that that would just leave the bristles sad and heavy too. Might have to do the shave lotion thing. Thanks for the tip!

mmm...never thought to use it as shave lotion. I had thought about brush cleaner, but then thought that that would just leave the bristles sad and heavy too. Might have to do the shave lotion thing. Thanks for the tip!
Welcome ^^

I'm throwing out things I don't like as part of my make up, keeping the philosophy that its not a waste, it was a waste when I bought it. Like this morning, I tried a rimmel mascara but I hated it. Tossed it. Clearing up space and clearing out make up I won't want to use when I have so much other stuff is a big part of my make out. I think its important for everyone to set their own philosophy that works for them, but this seems to be what is working for me. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm throwing out things I don't like as part of my make up, keeping the philosophy that its not a waste, it was a waste when I bought it. Like this morning, I tried a rimmel mascara but I hated it. Tossed it. Clearing up space and clearing out make up I won't want to use when I have so much other stuff is a big part of my make out. I think its important for everyone to set their own philosophy that works for them, but this seems to be what is working for me. 
I've been doing the same thing too. I've also been organizing everything, so I know exactly what I have and how much I have. Getting rid of things is hard, but I really don't want to waste a ton of time using something that I don't like at all. 

Made my first purchase of my 5 allotment for 2013.  I bought the Mally Poreless face defender.  I love this stuff!  I ran out months ago and regular powder just isnt cutting it. I just wish there was a cheaper alternative.

I. Have been doing really well! Still making my weekly youtube videos of im a beauty hoarder because it helps me stay focused I cant wait to look back at my videos a year from now! I have so much crap to throw and use away I am doing weekly videos but I have gotten rid of a lot and it still looks like I havent done anything but im feeling really good! I used up two spots of my twelve one on a lbb and the next was a nume purchase ! I got a lot of gifts this month for my bday it feels like cheating but its stuff others bought me and I love makeup so im doing pretty grwat!

=(  I am so fail.  And I think it's because I really started this as more of an "I really should..." rather than actually feeling something was wrong in my life and I needed to change it.  But rather than quit, I'm going to morph my Makeout a bit.

I don't like that I was moving too much into high-end, just because of the hype in most cases.  I was starting to spend a ton of money, and wasn't more likely to find HG products.  I'm finding where I'm failing is wanting a few more Revlon Colorstay quads, which I wear all the time, and wanting to try the lip butters and kissable balm stains and such.  The BIG FAIL came when I ran out of my sample of Sugar Rose and tried to replace with a Revlon Lip Butter, and it didn't make the cut as a replacement - but I like it and want to try a few more shades.  I've also just gotten to the point where I'll try a red or a pink, rather than all nudes and fall colors - and I never did glosses at all, so that's new to me.  So I'm not one who has 15 purples and have worn them for years but keep buying - not that there's anything wrong with that if it's what you like/can afford.

So, here's my new Makeout.  Started as of Jan 1.  This year, I'm allowed to buy 5 high-end products.  And I used one with my Stila liner set, so four more.  And I'm not exempting replacements, and this includes the Nov/Dec sales, so I better save some.

Boo Hiss me.

I think I may allow myself to buy a couple E.L.F. products here and there and really awesome nail colors, that I've tried first at a nail salon. I went through my collection and had to throw away a lot of old things that mostly were GWP or just old MAC holiday pallets and a couple old eyeliners from GWP. When I did that I realized I don't have as much stuff as I thought I did. I definitely do not need any more lip products. I have one highlighter (ELF), 3 bronzers (2 drug store, 1 that came with a kit), 4 foundations (3 drug store, 1 bobbi brown I'm trying to use up, the color is too yellow-based for me. I have plenty of eyeshadow pallets (Naked 1 & 2, Oz, TooFaced Natural and Romantic). 3-4 mascaras, I'm trying to use up all of the mascaras that are not water proof because I have ocular rosacea and it makes my eyes water very badly when I am out in the cold, wind, or even just when I put my mascara on. I'm kind of at the point with my makeup kit/collection that I have enough and I don't want it to get bigger, but it's not like I have so much that it is out of control. I have plenty of choices for everyday makeup, special occasion makeup, and evening makeup. 

It's also very important to me to be able to purchase concealer and foundation if I need it to cover my rosacea. I looked up Pink Foxy's video, she is a doll and I think she is so very open to her life and her feelings. I never want to be bogged down by my collection. Therefore, I am going to continue doing Makeout 2013 but I'm not going to limit myself to 10 products. I'm just going to make myself very accountable for what I am buying. If I buy something it has to be a true need. I am going to ask myself, do I have .... (lipsticks, yes! therefore I will not be buying it. 

I've been doing pretty well with not buying anything. Until last night. I was due for some conditioner, which is allowed on my Makeout terms since I go through it regularly, but I feel a little guilty for bulk buying. I took advantage of a Buy 3, get 2 Free sale from Bath and Body Works, along with a 20% off coupon. I quite enjoy their conditioners because of their thinner consistency and how well the scent stays in my hair. But I certainly didn't need to get 5, sale or not. I feel like I got sucked into rationalizing the purchase because it was on sale, but in retrospect, I wish I'd used the Buy 2, Get 1 Free option instead. I have space for 2 in my bathroom cupboard. 4 is a bit tight.

Despite the fact that it was an allowed item that I don't count as my 10 items, my bigger goal is to get away from excess buying due to space issues. I really don't like seeing things cluttered together, whether it's organized or not. It stresses me out. I'd rather just get something when I need it, instead of having unnecessary backups. This has been challenging, trying to discipline myself, but I feel like I'm learning a lot. I'm being more careful with my purchases, and really asking myself it it's something I need versus something I want.

Oh, and here's a silly dilemma. One of my 10 items this year was going to be the next Allure Beauty Box. I don't know if they're doing a spring or summer one next, but I usually buy them anytime it comes out because I get good use out of most of the items and it's a good value. Anything I'm not interested in goes to family or donation. But I'm having trouble deciding if that would just count as a single item because it'll be purchased at one price, even though there's usually around 10 items in there, at least. I'm thinking it'd be fair to use 2, maybe 3 of my allowances on it. I'm still keeping track of other items that have caught my eye on a word document, but so far I haven't been tempted to get a single one. That's kind of major for me, and it's keeping me encouraged, knowing that I seem to be in it for the long haul.

I'm in the same boat with you on the Allure Beauty Box....I also plan on getting it, and I'm tempted to notch it up as just one product...but we'll see. I've gone through ~25 samples (including foil packets), and almost at the end of a few full size items...that will help me 'earn credits' to let me get the Allure Box. 

Today was tough - I almost went for the Mario Baudesceu sale on Haute Look....then I found out that there's always a 15% coupon for MB...so there's no reason to rush to buy from haute look.... :/ haute look is evil....so tempting.

The Sephora 3x points promotion was also tempting, but alas, I still don't need anything....and I was able to get 2x points with my 2nd purchase of the year...so that made me feel better about missing out on 3x points. Damned promotions! 

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and here's a silly dilemma. One of my 10 items this year was going to be the next Allure Beauty Box. I don't know if they're doing a spring or summer one next, but I usually buy them anytime it comes out because I get good use out of most of the items and it's a good value. Anything I'm not interested in goes to family or donation. But I'm having trouble deciding if that would just count as a single item because it'll be purchased at one price, even though there's usually around 10 items in there, at least. I'm thinking it'd be fair to use 2, maybe 3 of my allowances on it. I'm still keeping track of other items that have caught my eye on a word document, but so far I haven't been tempted to get a single one. That's kind of major for me, and it's keeping me encouraged, knowing that I seem to be in it for the long haul.

Right?! I don't remember unsubscribing, but I no longer get the Sephora emails, so I didn't even know about the whole triple points thing until I read about on here. I did avoid it, though, and felt pretty good about it. I try to remind myself that these deals that seem so great at the time really do come around over and over again. Too often I would buy something simply because there'd be some deal going on, and then thinking it's just mediocre instead of loving it. That's how it all accumulates, and I'll just justify it by thinking that at least I didn't get it at full retail. But waste is waste. For instance, I have several Maybelline lipsticks, mostly purchased through BOGOs. I really like the colors I have, but the formula's quite crap for me. Now I'm stuck trying to get through them because it's so hard to toss them!

Damned promotions! 

Ok so im going to say i started doing this since January 2013 because honestly i have not bought ONE single makeup item this year except for a powder because i had ran out of mine and i only keep one powder. 

Im allowing myself to buy 2 makeup items outside of things i run out of like foundation/powder because i only keep 1 to 2 of those at a time.

Ideally i would like to not buy anything outside of necessary things because that was also one of my NYs resolution :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This year i have already finished 1 body spray, a perfume, a couple of samples, a concealer, eyeliner, mascara, tons of makeup remover products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

its really not that hard to finish products if you just forget about trying to use it up and just use it!

I had all 7 under eye concealers so i would alternate between all and so they all had dents but none had hit pan. Now i put the rest away and just focus on one and so far i have finished 1 and i hit pan on another one 2 days ago :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I BELIEVE IN YALL! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Back