Makeout 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by sweethollywood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

its really not that hard to finish products if you just forget about trying to use it up and just use it!
so true! i think that's my problem. i want to use up my products so desperately that they seem to be going nowhere!!

so true! i think that's my problem. i want to use up my products to desperately that they seem to be going no where!!
Yeah I just kept looking at my concealer everyday and it seemed to not be going anywhere! But once I forgot about finishing it up and just enjoyed putting it on, it seemed to be gone so fast!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm throwing out things I don't like as part of my make up, keeping the philosophy that its not a waste, it was a waste when I bought it. Like this morning, I tried a rimmel mascara but I hated it. Tossed it. Clearing up space and clearing out make up I won't want to use when I have so much other stuff is a big part of my make out. I think its important for everyone to set their own philosophy that works for them, but this seems to be what is working for me. 
i'm jealous! I wish i could do this. but every time I see a product I remember how much I spent on it. My project pans and low buys are for financial reasons so it's hard for me to just throw something away that I paid for...

any suggestions? I know there must be some samples i've gotten that I should really throw away. And I know I have 2 shadow palettes from high school! I never used them since I wasn't into makeup until recently and they were a gift in high school. But they are Estee Lauder and Lancome so i'd feel bad throwing them away...even though they're probably expired.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'm jealous! I wish i could do this. but every time I see a product I remember how much I spent on it. My project pans and low buys are for financial reasons so it's hard for me to just throw something away that I paid for...

any suggestions? I know there must be some samples i've gotten that I should really throw away. And I know I have 2 shadow palettes from high school! I never used them since I wasn't into makeup until recently and they were a gift in high school. But they are Estee Lauder and Lancome so i'd feel bad throwing them away...even though they're probably expired.
Well I think if you are doing it for financial reasons rather than to clear out some space, its ok to hold on to things. I do think you need to be realistic about whether or not you will use it though. If its just going to sit there making you feel guilty, better off to get rid of it and remember the mistake so you'll never buy something like that, which you know you didn't like, again.

I am so glad to have come to this forum. I am doing somewhat a similar thing on my vlog. I'm am listening to pinksofoxy's video right now and its EXACTLY how I felt like last year. I am trying to use up as much as I can this year (or use what I have to barter for stuff I'm lacking here on the forums). I've prepaid my beauty subs, and am waiting for them to expire/lapse. Birchbox is expiring next month or the month after. Glossybox and BB5 are going to expire sometime around September.

I was a beauty hoarder in college. Then I did an ultimate purge when I started grad school. My collection was manageable; and then I got into the whole Youtube vlogging.  Haul videos were so easy to make. lol (I did plenty of haul videos on my old vlog).

I've done a nail polish challenge of that sort last year. I think we can do this. Mind over matter. We got this :)

Before seeing this forum, since January when I started my use-it-up challenge, I went to the drugstore 4 times. I bought a handful of makeup and turned back the next day to return it all. From that I figured the act of shopping was what I enjoyed best. Now I gotta figure out how to get over loving the act of shopping. lol!

Welp - my got my Summer Allure Box ordered, and I think it'll balance out the sample and full sized empties I've gone through thus far (45 samples, and 3 full sized). I also managed to eBay off a bunch of new items and sample lots...so net-net, I think more is leaving than is coming in. 

I've let Ipsy expire, and my BirchBox is coming due in June...I've got three more straight up allowances and whatever I can 'earn' by using up more product. Was good about not buying anything at the Sephora Friends and Family....but I do plan on getting the sun safety kit!

How have your makeouts been going?!

Great job, TGB!!!  Mine lasted about three minutes.  =(

Anyone else still managing it?

Ehhh I'm doing ok. I picked up a NARS palette and a LORAC palette during sephora FF but I really want to take the lorac palette back. I feel oddly guilty about it though. I've also recently sold a bunch of full and sample size things on ebay so that feels good. I'm moving bedrooms and setting up a vanity area next week so I think the new way I'll be set up will give me a better persepective on just how much I have. 

I'm still not making a big enough dent in getting rid of things in my stash. I feel like that really will take me a few more months. But I'm doing okay not bringing so much in, minus a couple of slip ups in March. I tried to compensate for that by getting rid of more of the same item. So far, I've managed to stick to my lists. I also bought the Allure box, and I'm counting that as 2 items on my list, which instead of 10 is now 15. Eh, minor adjustment. It's still a lot less than what I was bringing in before  But I did vow not to change that number again.

I also got rid of my bag of empties. I thought by keeping it around, it'd keep me motivated by being able to see how much I've used up. But, turns out, it just stressed me out because it was more clutter hanging around. Getting rid of it and seeing the space clear was much more satisfying for me, and seeing my cabinets get clearer, even though it's gradual, is a nice feeling too. I don't know if I'll ever be a total minimalist, but  I realized that it didn't make sense to be so happy to use something up, when I should really be getting more pleasure out of using my products while I have them. Does that make any sense? Hopefully someone knows what I'm getting at!

I am actually doing pretty good.  I gave myself 10 products for 2013 and so far I have only bought 5 things (Missha BB cream, a fab fit fun box, the sample society box with the butter london, the latest cravebox-diet something, and the lancome nail polish with a whole bunch of free gifts) and I am saving my other five for the Sun Safety kit and Black Friday deals.  I also have been getting tons of things from L'oreal testing.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still not making a big enough dent in getting rid of things in my stash. I feel like that really will take me a few more months. 
^ This, exactly!  Except it's gonna take me YEARS to use stuff up.  Need to try finding some place to donate to that takes used makeup.  most of what's stressing me out is all my eyeshadows, it's more than a lifetime supply and I get frustrated when an awesome new palette comes out and I can't buy it because i already have too much.  I'm not talking about impulse buys, either, I mean the Stila In the Light has been on my wishlist for like, a year now. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gifI realized that it didn't make sense to be so happy to use something up, when I should really be getting more pleasure out of using my products while I have them. Does that make any sense? Hopefully someone knows what I'm getting at!
I totally agree with this.  I'm not good at trying to use the same thing again and again, just to use it up.  I'm too much enjoying using everything I have.  Every day, I try to pick things I haven't worn for a little bit.  That's the fun in it for me!

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ This, exactly!  Except it's gonna take me YEARS to use stuff up.  Need to try finding some place to donate to that takes used makeup.  most of what's stressing me out is all my eyeshadows, it's more than a lifetime supply and I get frustrated when an awesome new palette comes out and I can't buy it because i already have too much.  I'm not talking about impulse buys, either, I mean the Stila In the Light has been on my wishlist for like, a year now. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I feel you. It'd also take me years to go through everything, so I'm trying to come to terms with making harsh calls and not backing out. In about a week, I'm scheduled to do another eyeshadow purge (I began by going through my entire collection, and since then I've been trying to do specific item purges every other week), and I'm planning on tossing anything that I haven't touched in a significant amount of time, OR getting rid of at least 5 from each color family, which is how I have them sorted.

I wish it were easier to donate slightly used or tested items too, but it's probably a good thing that there's some caution there. Swapping them for more practical items that I need and go through (like razors, hand cream, sanitizer, etc.) has been the best way to do that, but it is pretty slow.

Now that's a brave soul, if you can purge your collection like that!  I like the "rip the band aid off" approach! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, to be fair, I've had varying levels of success thus far, but doing it consistently definitely helps me prepare mentally for it, and I try not to beat myself too much if I don't meet the goal, as long as I try. My biggest weakness are eye pencils (I'm fairly sure I have well over a hundred), so that'll be the true test!

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Getting rid of it and seeing the space clear was much more satisfying for me, and seeing my cabinets get clearer, even though it's gradual, is a nice feeling too.
Yes! I have a tiny bathroom, and the under-sink area is slowly but sure working it's way to being slightly less cluttered. I have a separate (huge) samples drawer that's now only one layer deep...

I use to keep the empties too, but it felt really good just to recycle the bottles/jars and get more open space! 

Oh No! the Julep warehouse sale derailed me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had bought the sephora sun safety kit (as planned)....but was not planning for the Julep sale. Sigh...at least it didn't cost too much. But now there's so much nail polish...which means I should probably start clearing out the older polishes?Trying some way to justify this....doh!

But - I am letting my BirchBox sub expire (June's the last month)....maybe that even's it out? Maybe? :/

=(  And you've made it so far!  Can you give away one for each one you bought?

Keep it up guys. Your doing a good job! Hautelook had tarte the other day and made me break my no buy....

Back