Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aw, thanks. I have just enough pink that I don't look ghastly with it dark. I'm actually in the process of returning to my natural color after *far too many* years of coloring it (from crayon colors to raven black to various forms of red). Naturally, it's a really deep brown with just enough red in it. Jealousy for me comes from my mother STILL having flame-red waist-length hair, even in her late fifties. Ah well.
I am jealous of ANYONE with naturally red hair!!!

Originally Posted by suenotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me too, I've FINALLY been happy with my self enough to be content with my natural hair color. I've been dyeing it various shades of red and blond for decades. I'm pretty weird and I'm old enough to realize I don't _have_ to also yell to the world, "hey look at me! I'm unique and my hair is unique too!" I mean I can dye it if I want to,  but I no longer feel the need that I _have_ to do it. I have no problem with others who want to color their hair, I happily did it for many years and I do love "fairest of all's" hair, but I also really support the women who go natural, especially african american women, I absolutely love their natural hair.  I think confidence exudes from women who keep their hair natural.
I fully agree with you I adore natural hair on African american women. My natural color is ok I guess...it was waist length and I had never dyed it till I was 20 (I'm 24 now). It's just that it's a really warm yellow shade of blonde and my skin color is a very cool porcelain color so it just washes me out. I feel like anything that gives a little more contrast between my skin and hair color is more flattering. I love the look of pale skin with dark hair, but I'm a little too pale to pull it off haha

Pardon the bad pic, but this is my natural color 

Haha, here is the last picture that remains of me with my VERIFIABLE natural hair color LOL And my natural skin in natural lighting, too. Yay for Florida in 1989, huh?

I am jealous of ANYONE with naturally red hair!!! I fully agree with you I adore natural hair on African american women. My natural color is ok I guess...it was waist length and I had never dyed it till I was 20 (I'm 24 now). It's just that it's a really warm yellow shade of blonde and my skin color is a very cool porcelain color so it just washes me out. I feel like anything that gives a little more contrast between my skin and hair color is more flattering. I love the look of pale skin with dark hair, but I'm a little too pale to pull it off haha Pardon the bad pic, but this is my natural color 
You look like Gwenth Paltrop from that angle:)
Haha, here is the last picture that remains of me with my VERIFIABLE natural hair color LOL And my natural skin in natural lighting, too. Yay for Florida in 1989, huh?
Good ole '80s! I started colouring my hair at 13. I won't try Bare Minerals.

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am jealous of ANYONE with naturally red hair!!!

I fully agree with you I adore natural hair on African american women. My natural color is ok I guess...it was waist length and I had never dyed it till I was 20 (I'm 24 now). It's just that it's a really warm yellow shade of blonde and my skin color is a very cool porcelain color so it just washes me out. I feel like anything that gives a little more contrast between my skin and hair color is more flattering. I love the look of pale skin with dark hair, but I'm a little too pale to pull it off haha

Pardon the bad pic, but this is my natural color 

Of course I will sound like your mom or something if I say "but your hair is so beautiful natural.." My hair growing up was much like yours, but when I got into my 20's it started getting a little darker sort of a dark blond/light brown color. I just thought, its BORING, also I had a fear of all things BROWN at that time (I've since gotten over that..) Even as I got older and tried to go natural color, I just couldn't keep it. To me it just looked so mousy. Anyhow, I finally got fed up with the up keep. Another reason I decided to let it go natural is I saw a couple of very scary looking old ladies with dyed red hair and thought they looked ridiculous. I thought, this can not be me. I do not want to be an old lady still trying to look like she did in her 20's.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

claps.gif
God, I love 80's pictures!

I'm not very interested in trying anything from Tokidoki as I find the packaging kind of.. meh... unappealing, I guess.

Also, for Elizabeth Arden being an "old lady brand" -- You have to consider, Elizabeth Arden created this brand years ago and the clients that were once young when she was a "start up" are now "little old ladies". Pretty self-explanatory, no? lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> While some old brands "grew" or "adjusted" (like Revlon) to younger folks, EA stayed the way it was. Does that make sense?

Idk, maybe it's my love for vintage and such, but I don't understand why some people (no one in particular on here) say "this is so old lady style" or something, like it's a bad thing. I think looking back, our grandparents were pretty fashionable, and most "trends" are older than one might think (platforms? red lips? seamed stockings? chunky jewelry? mini skirts? pretty much everything we have is "recycled"). :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Covergirl. I have yet to discover a product from one of their lines that actually works as advertised. Ever since I fell for a few of their glorified commercials, I really started questioning brands that advertise heavily.

I'll have to agree with you on Tokidoki. Didn't even think about them.

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not very interested in trying anything from Tokidoki as I find the packaging kind of.. meh... unappealing, I guess.

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, for Elizabeth Arden being an "old lady brand" -- You have to consider, Elizabeth Arden created this brand years ago and the clients that were once young when she was a "start up" are now "little old ladies". Pretty self-explanatory, no? lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> While some old brands "grew" or "adjusted" (like Revlon) to younger folks, EA stayed the way it was. Does that make sense?

Idk, maybe it's my love for vintage and such, but I don't understand why some people (no one in particular on here) say "this is so old lady style" or something, like it's a bad thing. I think looking back, our grandparents were pretty fashionable, and most "trends" are older than one might think (platforms? red lips? seamed stockings? chunky jewelry? mini skirts? pretty much everything we have is "recycled"). :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
For me personally I love the look of old vintage compact mirrors, ornate lipstick tubes, etc but some of these brands lost that charm along the way in part because of how they advertise. 

This Estee Lauder ad is a good example

I feel like they are trying to be seen as young and sexy...their ads have started looking a lot more like newer brands. This looks too mature for the 20's crowd, but no 80 yr old is a tan beach babe who wants to wear blue eyeliner haha. 

I think if they held onto their vintage vibe a little more, but showed how it can work for women of all ages they would be more appealing. The new mad men collection ads do a good job of that

It has a vintage feel that represents the roots of the brand well, yet it is appealing to a lot of people. I feel like a 20 yr old and an 80 year old could rock this look. It's timeless beauty

I also think If you could go to these counters and not be treated like s&*t because your not their target demographic they could change their image lol. Every time I try they complete ignore me so I take my money elsewhere

I'm all about the vintage look in my cosmetics....then again, I like the vintage look in most things, so...

BUT the reason I sometimes refer to "old lady lines" isn't usually the packaging. It's usually because something about a specific product's formula reminds me of stuff my gramma used to wear.

I think when people use the word vintage, they're conjuring the old Hollywood glamour bombshells and "old lady" reminds me of overly powdered skin with lots of life's wrinkles and hot pink lipstick smears on the teeth..lol. But who wouldn't want to fall back to an era when women looked so put together and just exuded..sex appeal or glamour seemingly effortlessly? My grandma was one of those women...naturally beautiful with pure flaming red hair with the perfect bounce and wave; she never wore pants, always a skirt, with heels and pearls. In photos, she always had a twinkle in her eyes and a little smile, like she knew a secret no one else was in on. 8 kids later and she could still turn heads, especially since my grandpa went bald early and always had coke-bottle glasses; I guess people were surprised to see such a mismatched pair lol. While she's in her eighties now and has all the wrinkles, the red comes from a bottle, and there may be a little pink on her teeth, Grandma still loves skirts and her pearls. And...back on topic lol...I'm not really a fan of Covergirl anymore..maybe their lippies and that's it. I think they were my intro to beauty products, but not something I ever stop to look at now. Not interested in YSL or Elizabeth Arden either. There was another one, but I had a brain fart lol....

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll have to agree with you on Tokidoki. Didn't even think about them.
Me neither. I can't get past the ditzy-anime-chick thing that seems to hover around the brand. I think it might be really cute for high school or college girls, but just doesn't "speak" to me enough to want to run and grab some.

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also think If you could go to these counters and not be treated like s&*t because your not their target demographic they could change their image lol. Every time I try they complete ignore me so I take my money elsewhere
This is why MAC has lost its appeal for me. I'm in my mid-40's and, um...generously sized. I would routinely be ignored at the counter in favor of some young chick with three different hair colors and a pierced armpit. Money comes in one size, and one basic design, and if I'm not pretty enough for anyone's counter, someone else will be glad for my money.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is why MAC has lost its appeal for me. I'm in my mid-40's and, um...generously sized. I would routinely be ignored at the counter in favor of some young chick with three different hair colors and a pierced armpit. Money comes in one size, and one basic design, and if I'm not pretty enough for anyone's counter, someone else will be glad for my money.
Lol @ pierced armpit. I have only ever made one purchase @ MAC...because every other time I went there, I was ignored and never assisted. So I have the Melon pigment and adore it, but cannot speak to anything else they have to offer. Another example of lame and utterly terrible customer service.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As a lady of a few years who tends to shop in my comfy clothes (The better for try-ons, HELLO!), I deal with this a lot, and not just at cosmetics counters....ok, MAYBE I shouldn't have worn the Dwarves shirt that has the "skull and crossboners" logo on the front that says "Teach Your Children to Worship Satan" on the back into the Disney Store, but C'MON! Everyone here knows I'm a compulsive shopper--bratty sales clerks have NO idea what they're missing out on if they give me the side-eye LOL

Back