Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so here is my 2 cents.

in Europe there are a few random drug store brands 

The one which I least liked was Catrice, after that Golden Rose. 

These two brands are on my NO GO list 

I'm not a huge fan of lime crime or elf. Although I love elf's four pan palettes and use them instead of ones from MAC. 

For High End, I don't want to try Sugarpill. The name disturbs me and the actual makeup they sell is waaay to rebellious for me lol. I also don't every want to try B*tch Slap Cosmetics. The name also freaks me out!

For drugstore, it would have to be Physicians Formula. I hear they have some nice stuff, but if I want to pay those prices, I'd rather go to Sephora.

Originally Posted by 13Bluestar97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For High End, I don't want to try Sugarpill. The name disturbs me and the actual makeup they sell is waaay to rebellious for me lol. I also don't every want to try B*tch Slap Cosmetics. The name also freaks me out!
Seriously? I can understand witchslap Cosmetics since she sells repackaged Lady Burd and in the past even sold products as eye safe when it wasn't but Sugarpill? That's like saying you don't want to try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics because of the name. Sugarpill's shadows are fantastic and can be worked into every day makeup.

Seriously? I can understand witchslap Cosmetics since she sells repackaged Lady Burd and in the past even sold products as eye safe when it wasn't but Sugarpill? That's like saying you don't want to try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics because of the name. Sugarpill's shadows are fantastic and can be worked into every day makeup.
I had forgotten witchslap. There are many reasons I don't want to try it, but the name and the questionable formulations top the list.

Exactly how I feel. The name of the brand is so tacky but have you seen the names of the products? witchslap is childs play in comparison. Not to mention the fact that they're just recycled Lady Burd products repackaged.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had forgotten witchslap. There are many reasons I don't want to try it, but the name and the questionable formulations top the list.

You aren't! I have never bought a MAC product, either!

Originally Posted by Jess Bailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i had been wondering if i was an anomaly because i don't own a single MAC product and i'm not particularly interested in anything they have.  it started because i've also had bad experiences at their stores/counters and continued because they sell in China.  

Exactly how I feel. The name of the brand is so tacky but have you seen the names of the products? witchslap is childs play in comparison. Not to mention the fact that they're just recycled Lady Burd products repackaged.
I know right??? It's a self-respect thing with me. I looked up witchslap after seeing a blurb about them in Allure a couple of years ago. I can't bring myself to wear it; I know it's just names but witch is one of those words that is, for lack of a better phrase, charged. It is to me a sexual term, and not in the good or sultry or glamorous way. I'm careful how I use it, and find it being sprinkled on makeup like parmesan on pasta to be well above tacky.

Ah, I've never heard of witchslap cosmetics - but sounds like it's a pass for many reasons.  I can only imagine what the dear little lady at the post office would think...

I don't own any MAC either TBH.  Nothing from the brand excites me package wise.  We don't have one for about 100 miles.  And the few times I've been in places that carry it, I feel ignored.  I would like some of their brushes at some point, but that is about it.  I've always been drawn to Urban Decay for eye make-up and NARS for blushes so it's okay.  (I would like to try their foundations though if I ever run into a nice helpful MAC counter girl!)

The brands that I steer clear of in Sephora are Too Face (a girl did a make-over once with it and I looked like a sparkly kimpie doll - so it was not a good first impression), Tokidoki or Hello Kitty stuff, Tarina Tarantino (I do glance but it's a bit bling-y and overwhelming for me), and Charlotte Ronson (not sure why TBH).  

I also have a weird thing against Philosophy products.  I smelled a couple of their shower gels and they all were too much for me in the scent department.   BLEH!  Seemed cheap so I've never bought anything by them.  I know they have some amazing face products, but I'm going to have to get a sample I fall in love with before shelling money.

You mentioned a couple of brands that I didn't think of - Tarina Tarantino just never appeals to me and the prices aren't justifiable to me, either. Philosophy - I tried their skin care line and it broke me out like nothing I've ever seen before and I tried a lipgloss of theirs and it sucked to put it bluntly so they're a fail in my book.

Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, I've never heard of witchslap cosmetics - but sounds like it's a pass for many reasons.  I can only imagine what the dear little lady at the post office would think...

I don't own any MAC either TBH.  Nothing from the brand excites me package wise.  We don't have one for about 100 miles.  And the few times I've been in places that carry it, I feel ignored.  I would like some of their brushes at some point, but that is about it.  I've always been drawn to Urban Decay for eye make-up and NARS for blushes so it's okay.  (I would like to try their foundations though if I ever run into a nice helpful MAC counter girl!)

The brands that I steer clear of in Sephora are Too Face (a girl did a make-over once with it and I looked like a sparkly kimpie doll - so it was not a good first impression), Tokidoki or Hello Kitty stuff, Tarina Tarantino (I do glance but it's a bit bling-y and overwhelming for me), and Charlotte Ronson (not sure why TBH).  

I also have a weird thing against Philosophy products.  I smelled a couple of their shower gels and they all were too much for me in the scent department.   BLEH!  Seemed cheap so I've never bought anything by them.  I know they have some amazing face products, but I'm going to have to get a sample I fall in love with before shelling money.

There seems to be a lot of brands being discussed here on this thread. For me, I stay away from any and all low end drugstore brands like CoverGirl, Maybelline, Gosh, Boots, Annabelle, NYC, etc. I've tried them back in the past and I was very unimpressed with the quality. And yeah, I've tried some in the past couple of years to see if the products have improved, but sadly, no.

As for Sephora's in-house brand, I don't try them because they are ripping off the consumer with their ridiculous high price points.

Whoa, I was not aware of how shady Lime Crime is. I looked around online after reading this thread and I'm definitely never buying from them. That's sad. 

Why does everyone dislike Bare Minerals? I couldn't find much information on that. I ask because I recently started using them and consider them something of a godsend. I'm another very pale lady, with a lot of pink in my skintone, so finding anything that matches it is difficult. If they're doing something terrible, please tell me!

I avoid companies that do animal testing, for the most part. There are exceptions. I'm not vegan, I just personally think animal testing for something unnecessary (makeup) isn't something I want to indirectly support. I always try to find a cruelty-free dupe or alternative to things I want. That knocks out a lot of drugstore brands. 

I won't buy L'oreal because I've had too many issues with crappy makeup from them, especially eyeshadows. NYC stuff has always seemed incredibly cheap too, I don't even look at their stuff anymore. I'm not a big fan of Revlon, Maybelline, or Almay either. Makeup Forever's HD foundation broke me out, so now I'm wary of their other products. Nothing breaks me out. That's seriously the first product I've tried in 11 years that made my skin react. What the hell was in it, Jamie (me) Kryptonite?

Ulta house brand tends to be terrible, I doubt I'll try anything from them soon.

I've been snubbed at the "Old Lady" counters too, I don't even bother now. I will occasionally buy a MAC shadow, or trade with a friend or relative for one, but I've been treated poorly by their employees as well. I got the "You're too pale, let's fix that -smears bronzer everywhere-" treatment the one time I did anything more than politely show them the list of colors I wanted to play with examine seriously. When I visited the counter with bright purple hair and a darker purple, black and gray smokey eye look, the lady hovered, snatched testers out of my hands to put them back, and told me I was being recorded. I had the same basic experience when I went with bright medium-blue hair and an eye look that included matte lime, forest, and moss green shadows.

I went back with a 'toned-down' neutral shadow and brown hair and was treated like a regular, normal customer! The same lady who had hovered when I had purple hair said hello and left me alone with the testers. She also complimented me, saying my skin looked fantastic. Really? It was too pale for you in March.

I haven't and probably won't try Pop Beauty (too 1990's teenager to me), LORAC (just nothing special), most Smashbox products, Dior (teeters between fashionable and 'for grandmas' in my opinion) Tarina Tarantino (seems too frantically youthful and bright) Stila (nothing special) and Anastasia (nothing grabs me) cosmetics.

Wow, long post. 

Elizabeth Arden, Clarins, Mac, hello kitty, C. Ronson, and Lorac have never appealed to me.  I used to have an aversion to Bare Minerals, until I started following a couple bloggers who love it.  I gave it a whirl, and have liked everything so far.

Originally Posted by PaleOleander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whoa, I was not aware of how shady Lime Crime is. I looked around online after reading this thread and I'm definitely never buying from them. That's sad.
I was the same way. I knew of Doe long before Lime Crime then heard about the nightmares when Lime Crime launched so I didn't want to buy. I DID end up buying two lipsticks, a lip gloss, an eyeshadow palette and an eyeliner from them at IMATS and was given their primer to try. I'm loving the products so far except the primer (I do love it but) because I didn't close the top all the way (hard to open) and it dried out a bit causing it to shrink. So my big complaint about that is the container is hard to open.

I'm not interested in a lot of the high end and drug store brands...but to name one: Mac. BREAKOUT CITY. Their stuff makes me break out and feels cheap on my face (minus the eye kohl which I like but haven't bought in months because of --->) and there is absolutely TERRIBLE customer service. I am often ignored and when they say they will reach for a product for me to buy after I ask for it, they take forever and help out other customers instead. NEVER. AGAIN.

On another note, I'm surprised a lot of people hate Covergirl. I actually like their pressed powders. I use this one for my casual days like going to the store, the mall, etc. and I really like it. On days where I want to feel nicer, I pull out my Clinique powder. I don't use foundation because I don't really need it.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is why MAC has lost its appeal for me. I'm in my mid-40's and, um...generously sized. I would routinely be ignored at the counter in favor of some young chick with three different hair colors and a pierced armpit. Money comes in one size, and one basic design, and if I'm not pretty enough for anyone's counter, someone else will be glad for my money.
Ok, so recently I went into Sephora with a coworker and we had the HARDEST time getting anyone to pay attention to us. and even when they did I could feel her going "ugh, seriously?" Then, we went to mac. Oh. My. Lord. I have a new gay best friend. He was attentive with a GREAT eye for color, brilliant and knowledgeable. I'm tell you, if anyone ever needs a Mac guy, mine is the BEST. Sephora doesn't give a crap about me, but Mac has actually worked out great the last two times I've been in there... I went back to work and told another friend about how awesome this guy was, she knew EXACTLY who I was talking about. Apparently he had been a godsend when she needed to cover her birthmark (its over half her face) on another occasion. No judgement, just makeup! Adore that guy.

Also, pierced armpit? I think I love you.

Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Elizabeth Arden, Clarins, Mac, hello kitty, C. Ronson, and Lorac have never appealed to me.  I used to have an aversion to Bare Minerals, until I started following a couple bloggers who love it.  I gave it a whirl, and have liked everything so far.
I love Bare Minerals sunblock. It's super easy to apply, gives great coverage and a bit of tint and it's worked really well for me. I have their other stuff, but I rarely use it. It's too time consuming..

Originally Posted by 13Bluestar97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For drugstore, it would have to be Physicians Formula. I hear they have some nice stuff, but if I want to pay those prices, I'd rather go to Sephora.
I just went to the sugarpill website. Holy f*** their colors are so bright. It kind of made me nausious. Then again, I'm pretty sure I have a stomach bug, so EVERYTHING makes me nausious.

Originally Posted by PaleOleander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why does everyone dislike Bare Minerals? I couldn't find much information on that. I ask because I recently started using them and consider them something of a godsend. I'm another very pale lady, with a lot of pink in my skintone, so finding anything that matches it is difficult. If they're doing something terrible, please tell me!
First of all, if it works for you, don't worry about what everyone else says. A lot of people have color matching issues or other sensitivities to consider.

For me, most of their products made my face freakout. I had some significant reactions to their products so I steer clear of their whole line. Some of their products (also found in some other brands as well) contain Bismuth Oxychloride which I am apparently sensitive to.

Originally Posted by MollyC2153 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

***Ok, so recently I went into Sephora with a coworker and we had the HARDEST time getting anyone to pay attention to us. and even when they did I could feel her going "ugh, seriously?" Then, we went to mac. Oh. My. Lord. I have a new gay best friend. He was attentive with a GREAT eye for color, brilliant and knowledgeable. I'm tell you, if anyone ever needs a Mac guy, mine is the BEST. Sephora doesn't give a crap about me, but Mac has actually worked out great the last two times I've been in there... I went back to work and told another friend about how awesome this guy was, she knew EXACTLY who I was talking about. Apparently he had been a godsend when she needed to cover her birthmark (its over half her face) on another occasion. No judgement, just makeup! Adore that guy.

I had one like that very briefly, about ten years ago. I wore black when he graduated college and quit the MAC counter. He loved me because I knew how to correctly pronounce the word "mauve." For a short time he was my lipstick guru. Since he left the department has been kind of...meh.

***Also, pierced armpit? I think I love you.

Bless you! :) It was the cleanest yet weirdest thing I could think of while on my work computer!

Back