Makeup brands you don't want to try?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me personally I love the look of old vintage compact mirrors, ornate lipstick tubes, etc but some of these brands lost that charm along the way in part because of how they advertise. 

This Estee Lauder ad is a good example

I feel like they are trying to be seen as young and sexy...their ads have started looking a lot more like newer brands. This looks too mature for the 20's crowd, but no 80 yr old is a tan beach babe who wants to wear blue eyeliner haha. 

I think if they held onto their vintage vibe a little more, but showed how it can work for women of all ages they would be more appealing. The new mad men collection ads do a good job of that

It has a vintage feel that represents the roots of the brand well, yet it is appealing to a lot of people. I feel like a 20 yr old and an 80 year old could rock this look. It's timeless beauty

I also think If you could go to these counters and not be treated like s&*t because your not their target demographic they could change their image lol. Every time I try they complete ignore me so I take my money elsewhere

Definitely agree with you on the part of the ads.. the EL Mad Men Collection had beautiful ads! The one above that.... yeah, no. LOL! Sorry the people at your counter treated you bad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haven't had any trouble so far, but I also haven't been to an EL counter in ages (when I used to pick up EL stuff, I'd always go to the CCO to save money :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) Do you have one near you??

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm all about the vintage look in my cosmetics....then again, I like the vintage look in most things, so...

BUT the reason I sometimes refer to "old lady lines" isn't usually the packaging. It's usually because something about a specific product's formula reminds me of stuff my gramma used to wear.
No, no - I get that. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I actually LOVE the smell of "old make up" but honestly, that's just me. I'm addicted to Airpsun Powder (looking to snag up the L'Origan Perfume when I see it a one of my trips to the antique mall), I loooooove the smell of old lipstick and baby powder and.. hahaha. I don't know. It's just preference I guess :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> NEVER try the Revlon Moondrops lipsticks, they have that powdery, from-the-past lipstick smell (which.. as you can imagine.. I flipped out about! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) lol.

As a lady of a few years who tends to shop in my comfy clothes (The better for try-ons, HELLO!), I deal with this a lot, and not just at cosmetics counters....ok, MAYBE I shouldn't have worn the Dwarves shirt that has the "skull and crossboners" logo on the front that says "Teach Your Children to Worship Satan" on the back into the Disney Store, but C'MON! Everyone here knows I'm a compulsive shopper--bratty sales clerks have NO idea what they're missing out on if they give me the side-eye LOL
I beg you!!! Where can I find one of those shirts?????

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many thanks! I'm laughing my tuchas off right this very minute. If these guys ever play Buffalo, I am so there!
Are you familiar with their music? It's very...umm...not family-friendly :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's hilarious to me, though, that their guitarist, Marc Diamond, is just this big ole Jewish teddy bear and then you seem them onstage singing "Let's **** **** up". I dunno, I giggle. He's such a sweetheart (I've known him for a few years, my old man has known him since they were teenagers.) Let's face it, my musical tastes are...peculiar. Like tonight, I have a total "first world problem". I'm very possibly on the list for two shows that are within a five minute walk of each other: one is "The Godmother of Punk" Joan Jett...and the other is a Bon Jovi tribute band....

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is why MAC has lost its appeal for me. I'm in my mid-40's and, um...generously sized. I would routinely be ignored at the counter in favor of some young chick with three different hair colors and a pierced armpit. Money comes in one size, and one basic design, and if I'm not pretty enough for anyone's counter, someone else will be glad for my money.
I have pink hair and still get snubbed by the people at Mac so don't feel bad. I posted this on the forum before, but when I was 15 I got my first job and wanted to go crazy at the Mac counter....except when I got there they treated me like complete garbage. They asked me not to touch any of the testers and wouldn't even give me the time of day. I was so pissed I went to the prescriptives counter next to them (who had a really nice sales lady) and spent like $600 on the spot. I made SURE they saw it and they just shot me a dirty look and went on their way. Over the years I've quickly learned that they just prefer hiring those types cause I've never once had a pleasant time shopping there. 

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely agree with you on the part of the ads.. the EL Mad Men Collection had beautiful ads! The one above that.... yeah, no. LOL! Sorry the people at your counter treated you bad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haven't had any trouble so far, but I also haven't been to an EL counter in ages (when I used to pick up EL stuff, I'd always go to the CCO to save money :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) Do you have one near you??
I've never heard of a CCO...what is it?

For me it's been kind of a 2 part issue. I first started shopping for makeup around 15 and like I posted above I got treated poorly by a lot of counters...the "old lady" ones and Mac so I just grew accustomed to not shopping there. Once I got a bit older and into the whole vintage thing I wanted to give all those counters a 2nd visit except this time I'm still young and have pink hair which made them treat me even worse lol.

I went to the EL counter like 6 months ago when they had a facebook promotion for a free lipstick and they actually had the nerve to call me a liar and "threatened" to call management on me.... I said please by ALL means I would absolutely LOVE to speak to your manager. I showed them the fb page from my phone and swear to god they had NO idea what it was. They ended up giving me the lipstick once they called and found out I wasn't lying, but then proceeded to walk away and ignore me before I could ask about the gelee eyeshadows I actually went there to buy. I emailed EL cs about the situation and they were really nice, but basically said many sales associates have been there for a long time and have their minds made up about who to sell to....so at least in my opinion they are giving themselves an "old lady" reputation by refusing to sell to other demographics.

Amber, CCO is the Cosmetics Company Outlet--pretty much the only "legit" MAC non-PRO discounting as well as other Lauder products. I wish we had one here; I've only been to the one in Camarillo, CA.

As a lady of a few years who tends to shop in my comfy clothes (The better for try-ons, HELLO!), I deal with this a lot, and not just at cosmetics counters....ok, MAYBE I shouldn't have worn the Dwarves shirt that has the "skull and crossboners" logo on the front that says "Teach Your Children to Worship Satan" on the back into the Disney Store, but C'MON! Everyone here knows I'm a compulsive shopper--bratty sales clerks have NO idea what they're missing out on if they give me the side-eye LOL
I'm lucky the folks at my Disney store are SO nice and non judgemental. Around the time the Lion king came back into theaters (my favorite movie) I went in and bought a ton of merchandise. I was talking to the manager about how excited I was and at checkout she handed me a free set of Lithographs meant only for people who pre ordered the DVD (which I was too late to do). It was so nice of her

I'm lucky the folks at my Disney store are SO nice and non judgemental. Around the time the Lion king came back into theaters (my favorite movie) I went in and bought a ton of merchandise. I was talking to the manager about how excited I was and at checkout she handed me a free set of Lithographs meant only for people who pre ordered the DVD (which I was too late to do). It was so nice of her
That's awesome. Thing is, I'm a super-easy customer. "Got any Ursula stuff?" "No." "Ok, thanks." Two seconds in and out most times.

That's awesome. Thing is, I'm a super-easy customer. "Got any Ursula stuff?" "No." "Ok, thanks." Two seconds in and out most times.
Not me I'm like a wide eyed kid on crack 
scared2.gif

Hmm... for the most part, I'll try most makeup brands, unless I've heard really bad things about them.  Ones that stick out are Lime Crime, Bare Escentuals (not because of bad things, but because I don't care for the whole mineral thing), TokiDoki, Kat Von D, and Medusa Makeup.

I feel like they are trying to be seen as young and sexy...their ads have started looking a lot more like newer brands. This looks too mature for the 20's crowd, but no 80 yr old is a tan beach babe who wants to wear blue eyeliner haha. 
I love the way Estee Lauder's packaging looks, but in general, I despise their products.  They always fall flat on me.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote:

I suddenly find myself in need of a new shirt.

I have pink hair and still get snubbed by the people at Mac so don't feel bad. I posted this on the forum before, but when I was 15 I got my first job and wanted to go crazy at the Mac counter....except when I got there they treated me like complete garbage. They asked me not to touch any of the testers and wouldn't even give me the time of day. I was so pissed I went to the prescriptives counter next to them (who had a really nice sales lady) and spent like $600 on the spot. I made SURE they saw it and they just shot me a dirty look and went on their way. Over the years I've quickly learned that they just prefer hiring those types cause I've never once had a pleasant time shopping there. 

I've never heard of a CCO...what is it?

For me it's been kind of a 2 part issue. I first started shopping for makeup around 15 and like I posted above I got treated poorly by a lot of counters...the "old lady" ones and Mac so I just grew accustomed to not shopping there. Once I got a bit older and into the whole vintage thing I wanted to give all those counters a 2nd visit except this time I'm still young and have pink hair which made them treat me even worse lol.

I went to the EL counter like 6 months ago when they had a facebook promotion for a free lipstick and they actually had the nerve to call me a liar and "threatened" to call management on me.... I said please by ALL means I would absolutely LOVE to speak to your manager. I showed them the fb page from my phone and swear to god they had NO idea what it was. They ended up giving me the lipstick once they called and found out I wasn't lying, but then proceeded to walk away and ignore me before I could ask about the gelee eyeshadows I actually went there to buy. I emailed EL cs about the situation and they were really nice, but basically said many sales associates have been there for a long time and have their minds made up about who to sell to....so at least in my opinion they are giving themselves an "old lady" reputation by refusing to sell to other demographics.

That is HORRIBLE! I can't believe they were SO rude to you. The last time I went to a counter I actually looked fairly crappy, I had no make up on at all because I was sick, I wore kind of crappy clothes (not like ripped or dirty, but I just looked like I don't know how to dress myself), plus I was just stressed because I had to rush back to work.. I just wanted to try out a color of foundation or something. The lady there looked a bit weird at me once, but then approached me and we started talking. She was a llliiitttle bit on the odd side, but invited me to a make up event the next day and was just very nice in general, told me about how she's worked for EL for over 20 years, blah blah. Pretty much the same for MAC, different day but same scenario. In the beginning I also felt really weird walking into our local Sephora while not being super dressed up and stuff, but now I don't care. At the very least people are nice to me there once they ring up my items and see how many points I have on my VIB card... LOL

Really though, I can see why you are frustrated with EL. That's unbelievably bad customer service. They should have deducted the amount you would've bought from their paychecks.

I look bummy on purpose when I go shopping. Just to be left alone. But I think because I'm older now and have an air of knowing, I dont recognize the dirty looks anymore at makeup counters. On topic, I refuse to partake in brands that don't cre dr aw gtate foundation shades for dark skin. So Benefit has always been out. So too are Neutrogena, Almay, Physicians Formula Why's everyone hating on Covergirl? Their foundations are nice and light for errand running.

Hahaha I just choked on my iced tea reading this. While I don't have a shirt quite that colorful, I tend to be ignored at makeup counters (especially MAC) or they give me sideways looks. Oh well, their sales loss. I find plenty of others willing to cater to my requests.

i had been wondering if i was an anomaly because i don't own a single MAC product and i'm not particularly interested in anything they have.  it started because i've also had bad experiences at their stores/counters and continued because they sell in China.  

I haven't bought a MAC product since I got a Spice lip pencil too long ago to count. Now I'm looking for an easily accessible dupe because I really don't want to make a long trip on three buses to the only 2 places locally that have it; nor do I want to pay a ridiculous shipping cost for one lousy pencil. I love the color too, I just don't want to shlep to the mall just to stand there saying, "Excuse me...EXCUSE me???" to all those dim bulbs who make a career of treating me like fungus.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look bummy on purpose when I go shopping. Just to be left alone. But I think because I'm older now and have an air of knowing, I dont recognize the dirty looks anymore at makeup counters.

On topic, I refuse to partake in brands that don't cre dr aw gtate foundation shades for dark skin. So Benefit has always been out. So too are Neutrogena, Almay, Physicians Formula

Why's everyone hating on Covergirl? Their foundations are nice and light for errand running.
If Im going to get makeup from the counters, I always try and go bare faced.  How can I test these things if I already have my Mac Forcefield on? Its strange, how they wont help you if you are bare faced, but you cant test things accurately if you are done up. And it IS 100x quicker and easier to try things on if you are bummy. When I go to mac, I usually always have a list of refills, so they ignore me for a bit, but then they have that "damn why didnt ask her if she needed help earlier" look when I run off all the products I need.

I used to like Cover Girl, but in my area, they dont carry the darker shades of foundation/powder that was the sole purpose for me liking the brand in the first place. They have also reformulated some of the foundations, so it just doesnt appeal to me anymore. Personally I feel like there are brands that are cheaper that are better quality than Cover Girl, especially when it comes to eyeshadow,mascara, and blusher.

For errand running?? LOL!
rofl2.gif
 For me, CG just isn't appealing at all. I have very sensitive skin so I don't wear their foundations (or anyone's else tbh. I wear TM and mineral foundations). Their eyeshadows are pretty much pointless to me, nothing special at all, and they have nothing else in their line to speak about. IMO, anyway. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I look bummy on purpose when I go shopping. Just to be left alone. But I think because I'm older now and have an air of knowing, I dont recognize the dirty looks anymore at makeup counters.
On topic, I refuse to partake in brands that don't cre dr aw gtate foundation shades for dark skin. So Benefit has always been out. So too are Neutrogena, Almay, Physicians Formula
Why's everyone hating on Covergirl? Their foundations are nice and light for errand running.

Back