March 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new member and i already love this thread. I have spent way too much money on products that I don't need or don't use. this topic is a good reminder for me to stop buyin products that i dont need. The hardest thing for me is when I see products on sale. Then I buy the product because I find it cheap which is stupid because I only need to buy products that I need! Have a good no buy month everyone!

Yay! I won the seasons box contest! now I don't feel bad about canceling and skipping my other subs for March. Now I can still have a sub and review it on my blog for the next two months :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Maybe finding giveaways would be a good way to spend our time instead of online window shopping? but sometimes sales are too tempting :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> that's what really gets me. i'll have to stay strong, hopefully they're aren't too many sales this month.

I've wanted to be on board all this year but I've refrained. My summer plans so far for overseas schooling comes up to be in the tens of thousands, so my whole household is on a general no buy. Clean out the pantry, no more clothes, no more beauty, nothing!

It's going to be tough, but it's very rewarding- and totally worth it!

I've been unemployed since mid September and been splurging monthly like I still have a nice income coming in. I decided on a low buy this month. I couldn't sleep a few nights ago and caught myself going on a bidding spree on eBay so yea I need yo stop buying. My goals are to only pay for my Beauty Army box, Julep maven, and possibly an ipsy bag on eBay. I don't wear makeup daily as of right now so its insane for me to keep spending and spending on it. I will keep up trading however because that is like crack to me right now.

Last month I did pretty well on my low buy, only spending around $30 on makeup and skincare.  Everything I bought was something I really wanted and something that I found on a very good sale.  I'm going to have the same strategy for March, and if I'm good and under budget on the rest of my spending categories (restaurants, fast food, general spending, etc.)  I'm going to let myself place the ~$40 Fyrinnae order that has been waiting patiently in my wishlist for a few months now. haha

I suppose I shouldn't celebrate saving with spending, but I've been wanting this Fyrinnae stuff for awhile and at least this way I'm making myself work for it!

Good luck on your low/no buys this month everyone!!

My goal for this month is a full-on no buy, because A) it's the first week of March, so I still have the chance to start off clean, and B) I stocked up on so much stuff in February, there's literally nothing I need to buy this month.  

In fact, I know we're only four days into the month, but I'm pretty proud of myself because of what happened yesterday - or rather, what didn't happen yesterday!  My boyfriend and I were driving around, and we needed to find a Barnes & Noble, which are becoming scarce as so many of them around here are closing up.  So we hit this one shopping center where he knows there's supposed to be one, and sure enough, the Barnes & Noble that used to be there is gone, closed up.  What has it been turned into?  An Ulta store.  I glanced to the right to make sure my car door was still locked....
laughno.gif

So, the only way out of the parking lot and back onto the highway is to drive-right-past-it.  And good boyfriend that he is, as we approach it, he says, "Do you need to stop for anything since there's an Ulta right there?"  And I went, "Nope, I'm fine, sweetie, got everything I need, please keep driving before I change my mind!"   So believe me, that was a triumph right there!

Anyway, here we go!

I haven't really been keeping track of purchases, but I've been pretty good the last few weeks. Last night, I got an XL bottle of Urban Decay's De-Slick for $18 at Nordstrom Rack, but I used a Nordstrom Note so that paid for it. My boyfriend bought me a cute Oakland Athletics shirt there too.

Still no Sephora orders, which is borderline miraculous. 

The only thing I've bought so far is an Indiebox (the theme was a bunch of etsy soap shops which I love) and a Little Black Bag since I've allowed myself one bag per month now (and I really need a new flat iron). Other than that i've skipped or canceled all of my subs.

I'm tempted to buy some of those clinique chubby sticks because of the reviews on temptalia but i'm trying to stay strong!! 

I'm getting really frustrated with how slowly my project pan is going :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( it's been over a month now and i'm still no where near being finished. Anyone else in the same boat?

I've started to trash eye creams that don't seem to be working for me, or i've had them for longer than a year...OR i just hate the smell of them. I've gotten all of them in subs or for free anyway.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only thing I've bought so far is an Indiebox (the theme was a bunch of etsy soap shops which I love) and a Little Black Bag since I've allowed myself one bag per month now (and I really need a new flat iron). Other than that i've skipped or canceled all of my subs.

I'm tempted to buy some of those clinique chubby sticks because of the reviews on temptalia but i'm trying to stay strong!! 

I'm getting really frustrated with how slowly my project pan is going :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( it's been over a month now and i'm still no where near being finished. Anyone else in the same boat?
Oh, absolutely. Project pans seem to drag on for eternity when I'm making a conscious effort to keep track of how much I'm using up, but when I just chuck things into my bags of empties or into the garbage, my cabinets seem to get emptier a lot faster. I could be crazy and just be imagining all of this, though.

I have a new goal for this month. I bought several new blushes, and while I know that I can't get even close to hitting pan on them, I want to at least make the designs/oversprays disappear from most of them. I feel like that will be some minor form of progress, no?

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a new goal for this month. I bought several new blushes, and while I know that I can't get even close to hitting pan on them, I want to at least make the designs/oversprays disappear from most of them. I feel like that will be some minor form of progress, no?
I'm doing that with my bronzer! all my blushes are flat (mostly all Cargo) :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I WISH they had designs so I felt accomplished getting rid of them!

I'm trying to use up one of my Stila smudgesticks (just because i have so many eyeliners, I love love smudgesticks though), and it sucks because i can't twist it all out to see how much is left! so I have no idea how much further I have to go...i hate not knowing

I'm doing that with my bronzer! all my blushes are flat (mostly all Cargo) :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I WISH they had designs so I felt accomplished getting rid of them!

I'm trying to use up one of my Stila smudgesticks (just because i have so many eyeliners, I love love smudgesticks though), and it sucks because i can't twist it all out to see how much is left! so I have no idea how much further I have to go...i hate not knowing
Cargo blushes will last forever oh my goodness. I have probably 6 of them and they are going NOWHERE. 

oh great lol that's all i have!!! I have about 6 cargo blushes and then a hot mama by theBalm  *sigh*

I ended up having to throw one of my smudge sticks away yesterday...i had gotten it in a trade here on MuT and it was all dried out already :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm pretty sure I traded a lot for it too...oh well you live in and you learn.

oh great lol that's all i have!!! I have about 6 cargo blushes and then a hot mama by theBalm  *sigh*

I ended up having to throw one of my smudge sticks away yesterday...i had gotten it in a trade here on MuT and it was all dried out already :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm pretty sure I traded a lot for it too...oh well you live in and you learn.
Yeah, I've kind of set the cargos aside for now lol. I love most of the colors and I know they'll get used eventually, so I'm concentrating on my NARS blush palette, and my sample of hot mama. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I've kind of set the cargos aside for now lol. I love most of the colors and I know they'll get used eventually, so I'm concentrating on my NARS blush palette, and my sample of hot mama. 
Do you have the Danmari palette? I wasn't as into makeup when that came out and I'd kill for it now, despite the 6 blushes I have now that I've barely made a dent in. I have the Hot Mama sample too, which seems like it's going to last forever.

im doing the MakeOut 2013 so technically im on a March no buy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This month I have finished a pack of makeup remover wipes and hopefully this month i can finish a perfume/body spray so that can slowly start decreasing as well. i go crazy with B&BW sales -___- 

goodluck everyone <3

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have the Danmari palette? I wasn't as into makeup when that came out and I'd kill for it now, despite the 6 blushes I have now that I've barely made a dent in. I have the Hot Mama sample too, which seems like it's going to last forever.
Not the Danmari, but the joie de vivre, which was a nordstrom exclusive last summer: 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nars-joie-de-vivre-oversized-anniversary-cheek-palette-nordstrom-exclusive-107-value/3304464

I like it and I'm happy I bought it, but I have 30 some blushes and its just ridiculous, lol.

Almost daily use for well over a month of my hot mama sample has barely made a dent lol. Its getting annoying. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not the Danmari, but the joie de vivre, which was a nordstrom exclusive last summer: 

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nars-joie-de-vivre-oversized-anniversary-cheek-palette-nordstrom-exclusive-107-value/3304464

I like it and I'm happy I bought it, but I have 30 some blushes and its just ridiculous, lol.

Almost daily use for well over a month of my hot mama sample has barely made a dent lol. Its getting annoying. 
Wow, really? Puts things into perspective. That sample is like a lil blush baby. I have it, but I never thought it would last that long. Yikes, guess I better get to using it. 

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, really? Puts things into perspective. That sample is like a lil blush baby. I have it, but I never thought it would last that long. Yikes, guess I better get to using it. 
Lol, I picked it first because it was the only sample size blush I have. I feel like its going nowhere. I know its getting used up but I can't tell. 

Back