March 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew, March 8.  Not even mid-month yet!  I was travelling on business this week and had an afternoon free so what did I do?  I looked up the closest Sephora on google maps and drove straight there.....  Siiiiiigh.  Still, it was an awesome, huge, roomy Sephora with so many more brands than my local one, I had a good time swatching a ton of stuff.  I ended up picking up a couple of small skin-care items that I needed anyways and a few of the discontinued, discounted liner/eye brushes that i've been wanting for months but the website and my local store both have been out of stock.  I guess it's okay, my big no-no is no more color cosmetics, especially no more eyeshadows!  The stuff that I did buy, I will definitely use.

I'm doing really well this month. Still working on using up my samples and I only bought one thing because it was something I'd wanted for a while and it was on a great sale. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and get some brushes seeing as how one of mine fell apart. Other than that, there's really nothing I need this month and I don't even have the urge to impulsively buy a product here or there. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

Ahhhh, gahhh. I fell off the wagon in a BIG way, but I have decided to clamber back in and strap myself down and do this right. I'm decided to seriously attempt a no-buy until September. That's several months away, so it'll give me time to hopefully use up some stuff. 

I really liked the idea someone posted earlier about trying to hit pan on certain products. It kinda makes me want to really use up what I have to see how long it takes. I also like to "see" that I'm getting somewhere, it's a great motivation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Haven't bought a single thing this month! I've used up a few packets and finished a tinted lip balm. Still have too much excess so this low/no buy will need to continue through April for me. I'm happy with my progress though - I have several bath/body/hair products that are nearly empty and I can start moving my extras to current use. Yay!

I recently went on a major makeup-buying spree, so I'm putting myself on this list for the rest of the month! Exceptions: China Glaze holos and a navy eyeliner, but the former isn't in stores near me yet, and I will be waiting to see if this month's Starbox has one -- and if not, I'll get it from Birchbox since I have oodles of points. Now let's see whether I can keep to this plan. ETA: I need to confess that I don't count my subs as something to cut out during this time.

;_; Well. I made a Sephora purchase, but it was for one thing and the triple points, so I can justify it. But since it was a perfume, I'm not going to get any thing else.

On my crappy family-emergency trip, I ended up getting an elf studio eyeshadow brush, which I'd been intending to get for a while, and a Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Top Tomato. It was a half-impulse purchase, half trying-out-a-recommendation (thanks for nothing Tumblr) since it was $5 at Rite Aid. Thank goodness it was only $5 because its finish is like dried paint, ick. LOL, guess I also learned a less about impulse-purhases at drugstores.

I'm just going to say, I am proud of myself for avoiding the $4 S!OPI and Orly polishes at Marshall's though, but I definitely wanted to get all of them. ;_; Stay strong everyone.

Hi ladies - I just joined makeuptalk to join in on this convo :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't purchased anything beauty related since February when I bought my BB creams from Missha at half off. The only thing I'm "allowing" myself is my IPSY subscription since its so hard to get back on the list once you cancel.

Other than that, my goal is to not purchase anything for as long as it takes to use up the following:

8 Cleansers - varying in sizes and usage

4 Makeup remover wipes - all open, all taking up so much space 

4 Moisturizers - not including the two deluxe sample Argan oils I have

6 Lotions - travel-sized

2 Body oils - Grapeseed and almond 

20+ Perfume samples - good GOD I didn't realize how many I had!! Not to mention my full-sized perfumes that I already own.

I definitely don't need more eyeshadow/lip product, but as soon as this no-buy is done I'm expanding my brush collection. The only good one I have is my Body Shop Kabuki brush!!

Ugh, i've been so good about not buying makeup that I kept buying OTHER stuff instead! I got my FIRST ever late payment fee on my CC (after 7 years of having a CC) and I swear it said $0 minimum was due that month blah. Okay now i'm seriously thinking I have a shopping problem and I need to stop buying all together for awhile.

I used to go to a store and never even CONSIDER buying something if it was over $10-15 (clothing wise), and now I'm buying $60 dresses and shoes! So I think from here on i'm putting myself on a no buy for as long as it takes me to stop the feeling that craving of wanting buy all the time!

is anyone else doing a low buy for all things? and not just cosmetics? i need some support!

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is anyone else doing a low buy for all things? and not just cosmetics? i need some support!
I need to...but I'mnot ready to commit lol.

My low buy is for all beauty related items that I have extra of - hair products, skincare, makeup, soap, body lotion, etc. My goal is to reduce my stash. Do you mean things like shoes, clothes, etc? If you don't need it, don't buy it. Easier said than done I know but if it is a financial thing, you know what you gotta do. Nothing is a good deal if it puts you in the hole. You seem like a smart girl, you can do this.

Me.. but I suck at it and break that more than I do cosmetics.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My low buy is for all beauty related items that I have extra of - hair products, skincare, makeup, soap, body lotion, etc. My goal is to reduce my stash.

Do you mean things like shoes, clothes, etc? If you don't need it, don't buy it. Easier said than done I know but if it is a financial thing, you know what you gotta do. Nothing is a good deal if it puts you in the hole. You seem like a smart girl, you can do this.
Yeah that's what I mean. The problem is that I actually need clothing. I rarely buy clothes for myself (why am I spending on shoes and makeup then? I don't know), and a lot of my wardrobe is too big for me now and or inappropriate to teach in (I still have graphic tees from high school!). Buying nice clothes that last forever is expensive though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If it's something you need, then just stick to a budget for yourself. If you see something that catches your eye and feels great on too, avoid the urge to buy it and just leave it at the store. I find that if you can't stop thinking about it well after you've left the store, then it's probably worth buying. But more often than not, once I'm out of the store, I realize that I don't really need it. That's how I'm disciplining myself to avoid impulse spending.

I'll join you! I definitely need to stop buying pretty much EVERYTHING.

One thing that helps me is to make a list of what I need or in your case, a list of the clothes you need. Really think about how many outfits you need and list out how many pants, skirts, shirts, jackets, etc you need and keep the list handy when you go shopping. This should help you focus on what you need and stay to a no buy on the other stuff. I know it is hard but you can do it :)

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll join you! I definitely need to stop buying pretty much EVERYTHING.
we can do it! it's easier when someone else is doing it too lol. Sometimes these forums make me buy way more than I normally would. So maybe I should just limit myself to the no buy threads

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that helps me is to make a list of what I need or in your case, a list of the clothes you need. Really think about how many outfits you need and list out how many pants, skirts, shirts, jackets, etc you need and keep the list handy when you go shopping. This should help you focus on what you need and stay to a no buy on the other stuff. I know it is hard but you can do it :)
That's a good idea, i'll look through my wardrobe this week and keep a note of what I actually need. Thanks!

Back