March 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have the Danmari palette? I wasn't as into makeup when that came out and I'd kill for it now, despite the 6 blushes I have now that I've barely made a dent in. I have the Hot Mama sample too, which seems like it's going to last forever.
yeah i love my mary lou manizer that i use DAILY since i got it in december and i am nowhere near pan. i want to buy it but i won't until i see a slither of pan, lol.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, I picked it first because it was the only sample size blush I have. I feel like its going nowhere. I know its getting used up but I can't tell. 
oh jeez, and i have the FULL size! it's never gonna be gone! luckily it's versatile and i can use it as a highlighter or eyeshadow with my skin tone

I will probably never, ever hit pan on anything. Especially blush, since I have about...a million.

I guess that's partially true. I have a tiny Stila cheek powder and the NARS Orgasm blush that I've majorly hit pan on, but I've had those for ages. I may dig those out and focus on them, since I am close to being finished. 

This discussion and my own low buy has helped me realize how long blushes, eyeshadows, etc last and it is making me think twice before purchasing more. I was in Nordstrom Rack last weekend and wanted to buy three things I really liked but I didn't because I have similar products at home that are nearly new.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This discussion and my own low buy has helped me realize how long blushes, eyeshadows, etc last and it is making me think twice before purchasing more. I was in Nordstrom Rack last weekend and wanted to buy three things I really liked but I didn't because I have similar products at home that are nearly new.
Seriously!!!!

I have an eyeshadow that I've already hit pan on--in fact, it is probably 3/4 of the way all used up, but I JUST. CAN'T. FINISH.IT.  It will not die.  And I also have a tube of clay face mask that I've been working on for about a year now.  It still won't end.  Please, please end soon!

I have a confession: I'm going through a lot of family difficulties right now (not financial, just personal so it's more justifiable) and I'm twitching to make a bunch of makeup purchases to console myself. Makeup has always been my retail therapy of choice and I got the 3x bonus email from Sephora so I'm like ... well... why not.

Yes? No? Talk me out of it? I can always restart next month... right now I just need to be comforted (thank you makeup for being comforting XD)

Why the need to finish the product? If I want to clear out my stash, I'd just trash it. I have make up just to be able to choose from variety of colors and shades and play with it, not to be bound by it. I can't even imagine how long it will take me just to finish one eyeshadow/ combo palette. Might as well not even bother :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a confession: I'm going through a lot of family difficulties right now (not financial, just personal so it's more justifiable) and I'm twitching to make a bunch of makeup purchases to console myself. Makeup has always been my retail therapy of choice and I got the 3x bonus email from Sephora so I'm like ... well... why not.

Yes? No? Talk me out of it? I can always restart next month... right now I just need to be comforted (thank you makeup for being comforting XD)
I'm sorry you are having difficulties, and I hope they resolve quickly and well.

Don't buy more makeup.  It won't be comforting to think of all the space it is taking up and the money it costs (even if the difficulties aren't financial, it still costs money, and you could put that money towards something else.) Can you use some long-forgotten bath oil or something to give yourself a good pampering and some comfort?  Can you use the money you'd spend on makeup to take a yoga class or book a massage?

Why the need to finish the product? If I want to clear out my stash, I'd just trash it. I have make up just to be able to choose from variety of colors and shades and play with it, not to be bound by it.
It is a really pretty color, so I like using it (a golden yellow).  Also, it feels too wasteful to me to just throw it out.  I dislike wasting anything, and have been working on using up products for the past year or so.  It feels REALLY good to use something up and cross it off my list.

I have a confession: I'm going through a lot of family difficulties right now (not financial, just personal so it's more justifiable) and I'm twitching to make a bunch of makeup purchases to console myself. Makeup has always been my retail therapy of choice and I got the 3x bonus email from Sephora so I'm like ... well... why not. Yes? No? Talk me out of it? I can always restart next month... right now I just need to be comforted (thank you makeup for being comforting XD)
I'm sorry you are going through a difficult family time. I'll give a go at redirecting you're therapy from retail. I like retail therapy too but the resulting clutter/unused items/excess ends up stressing me out. What I have found that gives me that high on life feeling is to donate my time and/or money to a worthy cause. You need to choose something that is important to you: the environment, animals, children, etc. and then an organization that fits your ideals. I love children and donate my time to two organizations. It is rewarding and nothing takes my mind off my troubles more than helping kids. If you still choose retail therapy that is fine too! Whatever gets you to that comfort zone. I've done my fair share of retail therapy over the years. As I've gotten older, "things" have started to mean less to me.

Since I re-organized my makeup collection, nothing I see really interests me because I see how much stuff I already have (and don't use). I got into makeup last October so I'm not close to hitting pan on anything.

I've been doing some retail therapy lately too because of school and work stress. I buy a mix of everything. It feels good until I see the transactions on mint.com 
icon_redface.gif
. Personally, I need to stop buying "things" and save up for happy experiences.

I've been wearing makeup a lot lately. I'm almost completely out of the sample sized De-Slick (maybe one or two more uses in it) from Sephora.. and the tarte clickly lipgloss I got from Glossybox is AWESOME! I have gone through a lot of it. I like that it lasts a long time, isn't too bold (actually looks like my lips + a tint) and smells/tastes good. I've even been using the potion 9 stuff too, it makes my hair nice.

I completed a mini of MUFE's smoky lash mascara today.. the first time I've ever used up a mascara! (I don't care if it is only a mini) I think unless one of the other million minis I have is better, this is going to be a buy.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to hear about the family difficulties, I hope they'll be resolved soon. As for retail therapy, perhaps try thinking about how you're going to feel later on when things have calmed down and you're feeling better but you have a ton of new, unnecessary stuff to get through. Think about how long it'll take to use them up and hit pan on them. If you still feel like splurging on something, maybe you can get one really amazing high-end product instead of lots of small purchases? Or get a relaxing facial or spa visit instead? I bet that'd be comforting. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also second the idea of yoga. Maybe also look into a new creative hobby to help take your mind off things and keep you busy. Maybe something like drawing or making jewelry? 

Quote: Originally Posted by Olga Ok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the need to finish the product? If I want to clear out my stash, I'd just trash it. I have make up just to be able to choose from variety of colors and shades and play with it, not to be bound by it. I can't even imagine how long it will take me just to finish one eyeshadow/ combo palette. Might as well not even bother 
smile.gif

For me it's about not wanting to waste the product. Trashing something perfectly usable is a waste of money and the environmental resources that went into making the product. Of course, the money was wasted when the product was purchased but the environmental aspect would still make me feel guilty.

If I really don't see myself using something (if it's the wrong shade, for example), I'll look into gifting it to a friend or family. Trashing something that's not expired is the absolute last resolution for me. 

I came so close to going to Walgreens today to look for the new Wet n Wild palettes and maybe a new foundation. I do not need any of the above mentioned items. AT ALL. I ended up eating a snack instead. Lol

Been lurking here for a while but this is my first post on the low/no thread. I am on a no buy for clothes. I recently moved in with my boyfriend and the amount of clothes between us is staggering!! I have brand new clothes with the tags still on them yet I still go buy more!! I have begun cutting the tags off this stuff and wearing it, and it feels so good!! I've also returned a few things that I bought & thought I needed only to find I had something very similar at home. We are carrying 2 mortgages and until I get my house sold, we need to be very careful with our money and I can't justify all the extra money going out. I also need to be careful with the makeup, my biggie is nail polish, but I have an entire closet shelf full and do I really need another shade of blue nail polish?? I highly doubt it!! LOL

Kyuu, I'd have to agree with the consensus so far. Be aware that the high of purchasing or having something new and nice is a fleeting feeling. Just try to remember the big picture, but don't beat yourself up too much if you succumb to the urge.

I'm going through some stressful situations recently too, and I've been fighting the temptation to buy something. I'm teetering on that line, but I know ultimately, I'll feel worse if I give in. And I've given in plenty of times in the past; that's how my collection gradually became out of control. It's time to find a new way to deal with it. Just hang in there, and I think trying to focus your energy on something else like exercise or volunteering are great suggestions too.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, and the advice. It is super appreciated. Lol actually rather serendipitously, the bus driver on the bus I took to get to my family thing today reminded us that wanting is sometimes better than having... So it's a good reminder. I think I am going to pick up the tom ford perfume I was considering getting last month with the promotion and then passed up. It's good when things you want are expensive, in some ways. It really makes you sit back and think about if you really want this thing or not, rather than picking up $5, $10, $20, $30 things that end up being just as expensive, things you already have and don't need more of. eta, I'm definitely thinking of other ways to channel my energy productively... But a little bitter of retail therapy doesn't hurt once in a while ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I went to TJ Maxx and saw a cute Jessica Simpson tote for $50. I thought about it for a while but ended up buying a cute $30 Betsey Johnson crossbody instead. I change handbags too often to justify spending over $30 on one. I've been resisting going to Kohls - a new one opened up near me and I've been getting promotional stuff in my email and mail. I almost went yesterday. Even though the promos end next week, I'm going to try to skip it, wait until Spring arrives, then do a haul.

I need to join this thread. We owe a couple hundred dollars on our taxes so we have to pay that next month plus we have some medical bills I am working on paying off so I need to curb my spending on extras for awhile.  I have plenty of make up and beauty products, so it's time to enjoy what I have instead of lusting over what I want.

I know it's still early in March but I'm doing well for my first low-buy month.  I managed to go to the mall to get some much needed clothes and resist going in the Sephora.  My boyfriend then wanted to go to JCP and I walked by the Sephora in JCP without going in as well.  Yesterday, I was in store which is right next to Ulta and didn't go in. This is a first for me, I usually have no self control at all when it comes to makeup.  I hope everyone else's no/low buys are going well so far.

Back