March 2013 No buy/low buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

we can do it! it's easier when someone else is doing it too lol. Sometimes these forums make me buy way more than I normally would. So maybe I should just limit myself to the no buy threads

That's a good idea, i'll look through my wardrobe this week and keep a note of what I actually need. Thanks!
I know what you mean about these forums! My downfall is youtube. Even if I''m watching a decluttering video, I'll still be like, ooh that looks interesting! And then I go find it, lol. I need to just buy NOTHING that isn't necessary. 

Yeesh. My new downfall: Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I've already pledged for _The Maze of Games_ (funding today!) and the _Veronica Mars_ movie Warner told Rob Thomas (not that one. The other one) they would let him make if he could raise $2 million (it took less than half a day to hit that, and it's past $2.5 now, less than a day later), and now I'm eyeing the January Rising Indiegogo project (funding gender reassignment surgery *and* getting a hot pink lip tar made just for this project? Totally okay with me) and a new album from one of my favorite local bands. On the up side, most of these won't take the money until next month.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeesh. My new downfall: Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I've already pledged for _The Maze of Games_ (funding today!) and the _Veronica Mars_ movie Warner told Rob Thomas (not that one. The other one) they would let him make if he could raise $2 million (it took less than half a day to hit that, and it's past $2.5 now, less than a day later), and now I'm eyeing the January Rising Indiegogo project (funding gender reassignment surgery *and* getting a hot pink lip tar made just for this project? Totally okay with me) and a new album from one of my favorite local bands. On the up side, most of these won't take the money until next month.
My brother works at indiegogo :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :) so i encourage that!! 

i was tempted to get that coffee break deal on E.L.F. but then thought that I should save that $18 and put it towards a better palette i've been wanting for awhile (after my no buy is over that is). also, everything i've bought from elf sits in the dust or has somehow already gone bad

is anyone else doing a low buy for all things? and not just cosmetics? i need some support!
I'm on a necessity only buy. I need support too!

meaganola, you're my purchase twin!, Well, partially. I also contributed to the Veronica Mars movie (though it clearly didn't need my help, wow!), and I've been extremely interested in the January Rising lip tar as well. I'm doing a Makeout, so I could purchase the lip tar as one of my items, technically. It's not a must-have item (although I'd be happy to have it) but I like the added benefit of the money going to a cause I support.

I'm shocked that Indiegogo is so popular! I ended up taking care of a stray cat in January and paying close to $600 in bills and surgery...something I can't afford. My brother told me to set up a campaign for her (she got attacked by a raccoon) but I wasn't sure if enough people know about the site.

Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

meaganola, you're my purchase twin!, Well, partially. I also contributed to the Veronica Mars movie (though it clearly didn't need my help, wow!), and I've been extremely interested in the January Rising lip tar as well. I'm doing a Makeout, so I could purchase the lip tar as one of my items, technically. It's not a must-have item (although I'd be happy to have it) but I like the added benefit of the money going to a cause I support.
I kicked in an additional ten bucks after I realized she's a huge part of the reason Against Me! is now fronted by a woman named Laura Jane Grace instead of a man named Tom Gabel.  I thought I recognized her name, but I didn't put everything together until tonight.  I may send her more money after I pay rent next month.  

Hey everyone, we are halfway through the month!  I slipped up at the beginning, but have been holding steady since.  It's helpful to me to remember that even if I fail the no buy one day, that doesn't mean the entire month is a write-off.  Hope everyone has a good (and non-spendy) weekend.

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's helpful to me to remember that even if I fail the no buy one day, that doesn't mean the entire month is a write-off.  Hope everyone has a good (and non-spendy) weekend.
that's what keeps me going too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i actually printed off a monthly calendar and cross of the days that I don't shop. that way even if I do shop every now and then I can see that my frequency has at lest gone down! which is the whole point of my no buy anyway, to stop craving that feeling of needing to shop everyday lol

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey everyone, we are halfway through the month!  I slipped up at the beginning, but have been holding steady since.  It's helpful to me to remember that even if I fail the no buy one day, that doesn't mean the entire month is a write-off.  Hope everyone has a good (and non-spendy) weekend.
Good point!  I bought a few makeup products the first weekend in March, but since then I haven't bought any makeup.  There have definitely been some times where I've been tempted too.

I caved in and got a cargo set (cosmetic case, blush, shadow duo, gloss, mascara, and liner) for $9.85 on ruelala...i have $20 credit that had been sitting in my account for over a year lol. i know i don't NEED any of that...but i love cargo and i couldn't say no for that price :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( 

to make myself feel better I ended up canceling one of my food subs that I haven't been happy with (idk why I kept it around for this long!). I also plan on giving away the blush to someone since I have WAYYY to many. I mostly got the set for the shadow because I have under a handful of shadows. and the $10 price was worth the shadow alone. I may also give away the mascara or gloss. I shouldn't have this much stuff!

...maybe i'll do a giveaway on my blog!!

I'm doing well despite slipping up twice this month. I'm down to 2 subs - glossy & star looks which equals $38 monthly - not bad. I used to spend $100 monthly for subs.

I caved in and got a cargo set (cosmetic case, blush, shadow duo, gloss, mascara, and liner) for $9.85 on ruelala...i have $20 credit that had been sitting in my account for over a year lol. i know i don't NEED any of that...but i love cargo and i couldn't say no for that price :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( 

to make myself feel better I ended up canceling one of my food subs that I haven't been happy with (idk why I kept it around for this long!). I also plan on giving away the blush to someone since I have WAYYY to many. I mostly got the set for the shadow because I have under a handful of shadows. and the $10 price was worth the shadow alone. I may also give away the mascara or gloss. I shouldn't have this much stuff!

...maybe i'll do a giveaway on my blog!!
I would have caved on the Cargo too so don't be too hard on yourself. Good job canceling a sub! I canceled Graze.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would have caved on the Cargo too so don't be too hard on yourself. Good job canceling a sub! I canceled Graze.
graze is the one i canceled! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been doing really terrible this month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Since Jan was my first no-buy attempt ever, and I did ok in Feb, I guess all that need to buy stuff just really exploded in March!  Here's hoping the second half of the month goes better.

I wasn't necessarily on a low buy but I did sub back to ipsy and BB. Now I cancelled  both again, I think I was just missing getting packages in the mail.

Oh gosh. I hate cleaning my room and doing my laundry, those are my two least favourite chores ever and t hey always go hand in hand. @_@ because picking up laundry to do them = having to clean out my room too.

Anyway, i finally got to clearing my floor of clothes, but now I realize I have little samples of skincare stuff / cosmetics / samples everywhere and I gotta figure out how to organize those as well. :C I was thinking about resubbing to ipsy again, but I'm overwhelmed with samples just from my birchbox. That's a yearly sub too, so I'm not just going to cancel it esp since there's nothing I want in the store right now. I think between bb and julep, I'll be happy enough with what I have... even that's going to take me a while to get through.

siiiigh...it's so easy to fall off the wagon, but SO HARD to climb back up on there!

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

siiiigh...it's so easy to fall off the wagon, but SO HARD to climb back up on there!
lol amen! once i start buying i'm like "screw it, already failed might as well buy more" lol. i've been trying to be good about keeping up with my no buy even if I fail some days

Back