May 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm giving myself 3 items from the upcoming MAC summer collection, and that's it. Maybe 4 if I'm really, really good until then. After that, the month will be focused on not buying anything else!

Welp... Bought a car today (out of necessity) so there goes my make up fund, and nearly all other funds for that matter! My low buy will now be a no buy! I don't really *need* anything and I won't be working for a whole month until my summer internship begins so I guess I should be smart with what I have left until I get paid again!

Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No buy for me with the exception of one nail polish blog sale purchase that she is holding for me with payment due on the 10th.

I am getting 2 kittens this Friday so hopefully the expenses associated with that (I already had to lay down over $200 for supplies and there will be an adoption fee too) will keep me in line.

I'm actually trying to no buy anything but food and things I might need for the kittens unexpectedly this month.  We'll see how I do.

I am keeping my sub boxes but skipping any that have an easy skip option (Julep, LBB).
yes yes!  please post pictures of your kittens!  i bet they are totally adorable!

my hope is that your adorable kittens can distract us all from our makeup buying urges this month :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For the first time ever I am going to attempt a low buy this month. I have been doing a big spring cleaning and seeing just how much makeup I have is borderline repulsive. I have begun throwing away products that I never use and have also come across so many great products that I rarely use just because I have so much makeup. From now on whenever I am considering buying something I will ask myself if I already have something similar, if the answer is yes (I'm assuming 99% of the time the answer will be yes) I will just not get the product. I will try to give myself a 5 item limit this month, it will be hard since there are already 4 things I was planing to buy. It will be tough but my motivation will be that I do not want to fill another train case full of products I just end up throwing away. In adition eye shadow and nail polish will be a strict no buy. I have way too much eye shadow and just threw away a bunch of nail polishes and do not need any more.

I'm seeing things I would like to purchase, but what I'm going to do is make a wish list of items during my no buy month.  Then, the next month will be a low buy month where I will allot myself 3 items (let's say).  If nothing else, I think this will lead to a more controlled and curated approach to buying stuff.  It also gives me enough time to really decide what I want to get, thus cutting down on the impulse purchases.

So far, my wish list includes:

1) Milani Shadow Eyez in Almond Cream

I'm seeing things I would like to purchase, but what I'm going to do is make a wish list of items during my no buy month.  Then, the next month will be a low buy month where I will allot myself 3 items (let's say).  If nothing else, I think this will lead to a more controlled and curated approach to buying stuff.  It also gives me enough time to really decide what I want to get, thus cutting down on the impulse purchases. So far, my wish list includes: 1) Milani Shadow Eyez in Almond Cream
I just read the Vampy Varnish review and those look great! But, I'm sticking to my 5 item limit. A wishlist is a good idea, with adding everything up and culling down to most wanted. I might have to implement one for myself!

My kittens! Still unnamed so if anyone has any suggestions go for it. One has white paws the other doesn't.  

They are both so beautiful (and also look appropriately mischievous)! 
smile.gif

My kittens! Still unnamed so if anyone has any suggestions go for it. One has white paws the other doesn't.  
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! So adorable!!! I want a kitty now! Maybe I should do a no buy and save up for a kitty lol :)

Those babies are so cute. Congrats on the new additions to your family!

Ohgod ohgod ohgod, they are so adorable! 
heart.gif

lovelovee.gif
 I have no idea how to write the sound I made when I saw those pics, haha! Let's just say I might have squeee'd a bit... 

In any case, congratulations! I hope you'll have a long and happy life together. Please let us know when you've decided on names, I'd love to know!

Adorable kittens!  Are they boys or girls or one of each?  The name that popped in my head for some reason was Lola. 

eeeeek!  SO CUTE and bouncy!!!!!!

I was coming here, all depressed about makeup purchases, only to be greeted by these adorable kitten photos!  What an awesome pick-me-up.  Thanks so much for sharing, hope they are adjusting well to their new home :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)

OH MY GOD KITTENS.

I would give up makeup for some kittens of my own ;~~; but alas.

On a no buy again sigh, financial reasons this time (though I still have waaaay too much stuff). I'm super tempted to get an ipsy bag this month just because it looks amazing but I already have those things... need to finish mine first. Other than the subs I already have paid for (and gift certs/birchbox points), I'm going to try and abstain from buying a lot of makeup the next 3-4 months. Which isn't going to be a hardship still 'cause I have almost $90 in birchbox points @__@

Ohhh, those kittens are adorable!!! I'll trade you a bunch of makeup for one! I want another one so bad. I think if my husband were to tell me, "if you don't buy ANY makeup or beauty stuff for six months, you can get a kitten or a corgi" that would ensure that I have a successful no-buy. 

Thanks so much guys! It's two boys and if anything they are adjusting way too well to their new home- they already think they own the place.  I'm counting on them to me my no by inspiration this month so I'll keep posting pictures every week ish if no one minds.

As for names, I've narrowed it down to Darcy and Bingley or Tyrion and Jamie.  Anyone who recognizes both references will truly know what a geek I am.

Originally Posted by jpark107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are both so beautiful (and also look appropriately mischievous)! 
smile.gif
Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! So adorable!!! I want a kitty now! Maybe I should do a no buy and save up for a kitty lol :)
Originally Posted by Flowerfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Those babies are so cute. Congrats on the new additions to your family!
Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Adorable kittens!  Are they boys or girls or one of each?  The name that popped in my head for some reason was Lola. 
Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eeeeek!  SO CUTE and bouncy!!!!!!

I was coming here, all depressed about makeup purchases, only to be greeted by these adorable kitten photos!  What an awesome pick-me-up.  Thanks so much for sharing, hope they are adjusting well to their new home :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OH MY GOD KITTENS.

I would give up makeup for some kittens of my own ;~~; but alas.
Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ohhh, those kittens are adorable!!! I'll trade you a bunch of makeup for one! I want another one so bad. I think if my husband were to tell me, "if you don't buy ANY makeup or beauty stuff for six months, you can get a kitten or a corgi" that would ensure that I have a successful no-buy. 

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a no buy again sigh, financial reasons this time (though I still have waaaay too much stuff). I'm super tempted to get an ipsy bag this month just because it looks amazing but I already have those things... need to finish mine first. Other than the subs I already have paid for (and gift certs/birchbox points), I'm going to try and abstain from buying a lot of makeup the next 3-4 months. Which isn't going to be a hardship still 'cause I have almost $90 in birchbox points @__@
I'm also for financial reasons at this point (though I also have way too much stuff. 

Not to be the bad influence but I think if you only spend points it doesn't REALLY count as a buy... but maybe that's just me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Meahlea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to be on a low buy of sorts. I've already decided what I'm going to buy for this month, and after that I'm limiting myself to things that I cannot talk myself out of with a witness (which means that I cannot buy things without asking someone else if it's a good idea first).

Things I'm buying:

the mini set of the OPI bond girls removed to make room for lbb

a bunch of polish from my fav indie polish maker (that I promised her I was buying as soon as I got paid) - set of 8 neons (bought)+ the remainder of the holo collection.

my sub boxes which should be paid for (ipsy, birchbox, squarehue cancelled, starlooks starbox)

a tarte eyeliner as part of a group order

ticket to the tour of st louis for my convention in July

(added) bus ticket

Things I am NOT buying:

konad tools even though my stamping set is garbage

the opi bond girls not in the mini set

any cosmetics that I do not go physically out of my way to shop for (e.g. no random stuff at walmart)

julep mystery boxes

my sub boxes which are already paid for (goodies.co, love with food, seasonsbox)

a little black bag oops. they had pixi

indie polishes other than those from ellagee which I have committed to

eyeshadow at all

Commitment: go!
edit. commitment: increased with a look at the bank account.

I'm also for financial reasons at this point (though I also have way too much stuff. 

Not to be the bad influence but I think if you only spend points it doesn't REALLY count as a buy... but maybe that's just me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
lol i don't think it counts either. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But that's why I'm saying it's not really a hardship... there's plenty of stuff I can get in the BB shop for $90 at 20% off

So Adorable!!!! Name Suggestions: Daisy and Clair

Back