May 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halfway through the month and I've only brought 3 makeup items that count towards my 5 item low-buy.

Sooo I now live within 15 minutes of a Sephora instead of 4 hours.  

& I didn't buy a single thing!  I was tempted. Only one Jasmine palette was left.

Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sooo I now live within 15 minutes of a Sephora instead of 4 hours.  

& I didn't buy a single thing!  I was tempted. Only one Jasmine palette was left.
I sometimes find that being close to a place where I would normally spend a ton of money can actually help me save money because I can always go back later and get whatever it is that caught my eye.  I temped for a few months next door to the what is quite possibly the best bookstore in the country, and I went in there pretty much every day since it was winter and thus cold and rainy, and I could cut across the block in dry warmth if I went through the store, and sometimes I just wanted to kill my lunch hour looking at books because I'm a bookworm and was making a list of books to buy once I had a real job.  I think I bought two books -- both Christmas presents -- and a couple of sandwiches there during my four-month assignment.  I now have a real job, and I could easily go to the bookstore any day after work (I don't work next door now, but the street car is close to my office and stops by the store), but I never quite get around to it because I can go next weekend.  Procrastination works in my favor here.

More than halfway through May!  I hope everyone is doing well on their no/low buy.  After placing my big order early in the month, I no longer have any temptation to buy for the rest of the month.  Hooray!

As part of this whole experience, I am going in an using stuff that doesn't get a lot of use...I finally threw out an eyeshadow that just wasn't working.  I'd had it a while, used it too much to really trade it, but it never worked well.  Even with primer, it creased horribly, and I have something I use and like better.  It felt so freeing.

So now, I'm considering throwing out 2 other eyeshadows.  Neither is very highly pigmented, they always wear off quickly (even with primer), but they were expensive when I bought them, and one in particular is a really pretty color unlike the other stuff I have.  So, should I throw them out or not?  They are both too old and used for me to even consider trading them.  At what point do you bite the bullet and throw something away?  That's (obviously) a hard thing for me to do.

I'm surprised at myself for being somewhat successful on my no-buy (so far).  The only thing I've purchased is a bunch of soaps and sample fragrances from Pacifica, none of which are on my "ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY" list.  Yeah the soaps are a bit fancier than what I normally get, but since I don't have a soap problem they sort of go into the "utilitarian" category, like toothpaste.  

Oh yeah, also got the powder foundation that I needed since my old one only has a tiny bit left around the rim of the pan.  Yeah!!!

And it HAS been oddly relaxing doing a conscious no-buy.  I've been able to sit through the recent sales (drugstore, beauty dot com, etc) without buying any beauty items at all.  I did stock up on sunscreen during a sale at the beginning of May, before declaring my no-buy, but again that's sort of "utilitarian" item.

@tulosai -- thanks for posting new photos of Darcy and Bingley!  They already look so much bigger than the first set!  Cute!

i've managed to not buy any make up items this month so far! i've been to sephora like 6 times this month and I keep getting a Cast Member that is very generous with samples. I'll ask about one product and she'll be like - here, let me give you a week's worth to figure it out. Then she'll say "oh, and while we're sampling let me give you this, this and this." ...So so far I don't need to buy anything because I have SO MANY little sample cups to work though!

I graduated from college yesterday (woo!) and I did get some graduation money. I decided I will use that to pay off some of my credit card instead of using it to shop...although I sure would like to shop!

I went over my item limit. . But began to reorganize my makeup stash. Tossing items is difficult, but I'm attempting it! I did manage to use up some stuff, so it's a small consolation, right?

Yeesh, I actually had a *dream* about breaking my no-buy. I don't mean dreaming about shopping. In this dream, I bought some shower gel (can't buy it in real life for probably two years) and immediately thought, "Oh, crap, I'm not supposed to be buying this!" I'm thinking this is a sign it would be acceptable to get something from Sephora today so I don't have this weird stress dream (because it felt like my usual stress/anxiety dreams in which I'm in college on finals day but haven't gone to any classes all quarter) again.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeesh, I actually had a *dream* about breaking my no-buy. I don't mean dreaming about shopping. In this dream, I bought some shower gel (can't buy it in real life for probably two years) and immediately thought, "Oh, crap, I'm not supposed to be buying this!" I'm thinking this is a sign it would be acceptable to get something from Sephora today so I don't have this weird stress dream (because it felt like my usual stress/anxiety dreams in which I'm in college on finals day but haven't gone to any classes all quarter) again.
Poor you!

As a previous poster suggested, I think low buy works better & is 'healthier' and more sustainable than no buy.  Therefore, I have switched from no buy for May and June to low buy.  

Ironically, now that i'm on a low buy its not as stressful when i see a sales or things i wanted, b/c i know i can buy it, where as if it was a no buy, knowing i can't buy it and must curb that no buy urge makes me sad.  knowing I can buy it since i'm on a low buy and combined with my procrastination personality, it actually helped with the low buy since i'd push the actual 'buying' to 'next week' and next week is slowly turning into 'weeks'!

And now May is half way over! I only bought one item, Tarte Aqualillies AND its using Sephora Gift card so it doesn't count! I'm quite happy about this ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Although I must admit, beauty tools do not count toward my cosmetic low buy so i took advantage of the beauty.com 20% off and bought myself a domed Z-palette.  Which I think is justifiable as it helps me organize my makeup better and help me pan! 

2 more weeks ladies and May would be over!!!  

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i've managed to not buy any make up items this month so far! i've been to sephora like 6 times this month and I keep getting a Cast Member that is very generous with samples. I'll ask about one product and she'll be like - here, let me give you a week's worth to figure it out. Then she'll say "oh, and while we're sampling let me give you this, this and this." ...So so far I don't need to buy anything because I have SO MANY little sample cups to work though!

I graduated from college yesterday (woo!) and I did get some graduation money. I decided I will use that to pay off some of my credit card instead of using it to shop...although I sure would like to shop!
Congrats on graduation and you will not regret paying down the debt.  I know it is rough but trust me it will feel better in the long run.

In sadder news I broke down and got Julep.  Woe is me.  The worst part is that the last thing I need is more nail polish :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It is my biggest weakness.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went over my item limit. . But began to reorganize my makeup stash. Tossing items is difficult, but I'm attempting it! I did manage to use up some stuff, so it's a small consolation, right?
It is a small consolation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've reorganized my stash several times over the weekend (not completely happy with the organization yet) and I used some samples and tossed a few items. It is hard to let go of stuff.

Congrats! It is a small consolation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've reorganized my stash several times over the weekend (not completely happy with the organization yet) and I used some samples and tossed a few items. It is hard to let go of stuff.
Definitely! Most of my used items are samples, but a few are FS. I am still working on makeup, but managed to toss several items I never use or are crap quality. . As compared to other items I own that are similar lol.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely! Most of my used items are samples, but a few are FS. I am still working on makeup, but managed to toss several items I never use or are crap quality. . As compared to other items I own that are similar lol.
That's good! I still have 3 items that I feel like I need to get rid of but I'm not ready to toss yet lol. But I did put two high-end eye shadow palettes that I never use in my donate box so I guess that's progress. 

The more I consider it, the more I think my dream was not about maintaining my no-buy (I actually *tried* to buy some stuff this weekend but just didn't see anything I wanted) but rather about cleaning my apartment.  I'm working on a hardcore purge, but I'm just doing a little bit each night instead of a full-speed-ahead weekend binge, and I completely slacked off over the weekend. I got very little sleep last night and kept thinking that I should just get up and clean if I wasn't going to sleep, and then I finally dozed briefly and had that dream.  Tonight, I finally tackled a section of the living room I've been putting off for ages *and* took some Benadryl (on top of everything else, my skin allergies were acting up last night, so I spent a *lot* of time scratching because I forgot to take some last night), so I'm crashing early and hoping I won't have dreams about buying shampoo (I'm on a no-buy for shampoo and shower gel because I have enough to the former to last probably until this time next year -- and enough of the latter for *two* years.  Maybe three, which is why it's a hardcore no-buy for shower gel:  I have literally over two dozen bottles).  

I think I need a month of no buying anything lol...I have enough junk as it is...I have to true this

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The more I consider it, the more I think my dream was not about maintaining my no-buy (I actually *tried* to buy some stuff this weekend but just didn't see anything I wanted) but rather about cleaning my apartment.  I'm working on a hardcore purge, but I'm just doing a little bit each night instead of a full-speed-ahead weekend binge, and I completely slacked off over the weekend. I got very little sleep last night and kept thinking that I should just get up and clean if I wasn't going to sleep, and then I finally dozed briefly and had that dream.  Tonight, I finally tackled a section of the living room I've been putting off for ages *and* took some Benadryl (on top of everything else, my skin allergies were acting up last night, so I spent a *lot* of time scratching because I forgot to take some last night), so I'm crashing early and hoping I won't have dreams about buying shampoo (I'm on a no-buy for shampoo and shower gel because I have enough to the former to last probably until this time next year -- and enough of the latter for *two* years.  Maybe three, which is why it's a hardcore no-buy for shower gel:  I have literally over two dozen bottles).  
Other than nail polish, shower gels are definitely what I have most of too :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been extremely good about my no buy this month. I started to think to myself, what's the point of buying things that will be used up or go bad and thrown away eventually? I started putting my money towards a new wardrobe, which is something i've been needing to do for a long long time. And instead of BUYING all my clothes, i've been swapping. Same with makeup. I've been swapping unused makeup and clothes for things that I want and will use. I still pay for shipping costs but this way i'm at least not ADDING to my clutter! I just think that buying clothes, which I need, is more useful than buying makeup since that is so disposable anyway. Plus no one notices if I'm wearing a different brand of black eyeliner or red polish each day, they do notice a new dress :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Not that it's about what other people notice, but it's something I notice more as well, and it's just more satisfying for me.

I went to Rite Aid to buy some note cards and boy was it tempting /o Especially since they had get $10 up+ for buying $30 of nail products, and nail polish is my biggest weakness. I walked out with just note cards though so A+ for me o/

It's almost the end of the month so keep up the good work, ladies! o/ I'm getting my 20% birchbox anniversary code next month and have like $90 of points and I still have to cash in my $50 bloomspot Julep certificate... so that's keeping me going... the idea that buying things is ahead of me /SO SAD LOL

In need of support :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm trying to suck it up and cancel popsugar for June-  I like the box but don't love it and it's my most expensive sub by far and I'm not in an income bracket where $35 is the same as $10 to me.  But somehow-- it's so HARD to cancel.  Help?!?!?

Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In need of support :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm trying to suck it up and cancel popsugar for June-  I like the box but don't love it and it's my most expensive sub by far and I'm not in an income bracket where $35 is the same as $10 to me.  But somehow-- it's so HARD to cancel.  Help?!?!?
Do it! You'll be happy you were able to resist the temptation, and you'll have a little bit of extra money to save or spend on something you really want. And if you REALLY miss it, you can always resubscribe.

Back