May 2013 No-buy/Low-buy thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so now I REALLY need to go on a no buy/low buy. I'm moving and currently packing & realized how much stuff I have & really need to use up!

Urk.  I counted my shower gels tonight.  My no-buy on it will probably go until 2016 unless I can rehome a good chunk of it.  Yes, more than two and a half years.  I stopped counting full bottles of B&BW shower gels when I hit 20.  And that's not counting partial bottles (I have TEN of them in the shower right now!  I had *no clue* there were that many until I was taking a shower and started counting shower gels, conditioners, and shampoos in there.  One of my projects for the weekend:  Clearing out *that* mess), non-B&BW bottles, or samples, and that's not taking into account anything I might get in future subscription boxes -- or, of course, anything that might be hiding at the moment. 

As for May, I have decided I will be allowed to buy (in addition to my subscription boxes.  My main goal here is to rein in my Sephora sprees yet again because they've gone back into out-of-control-ness again):

• A powder brush
  • A blush brush 
  • A foundation brush 
  • Foundation 
  • That bright turquoise whatever-it-is featured in a recent Starlooks photo shoot if it is not included in this month's Starbox
  • Another round of Glamour Doll Eyes sample jars (still trying to find my favorite shades)
  • essence makeup sponge (these have been out of stock around here for about a month -- right after the one I had but hadn't used yet mysteriously disappeared -- so I will probably not get this one simply because I *can't* get one)
  • everything I want from the next essence trend collection, whatever it is (this stuff is so cheap and I'm so picky about color that this splurge will probably run around $15, so it's not a huge budget-buster)

Realistically, though, given how much I drag my feet when it comes to buying makeup brushes, those are likely to be pushed off until June.  Then July.  Then August.  Then September.  Then I'll decide to wait to see what Sephora puts on sale for Black Friday, and then I will be too broke to buy them, and then we will repeat this all over again next year, and I will get even more annoyed with my current brushes every since morning when I remember how crappy they are.

Why drag you feet when buying brushes? Brushes are a tool they don't count as color cosmetics therefor I can buy them during my no buy!! Hahahahaha! Yep, had a debate about this with the no buy police and we agreed brushes ate tools and I can buy them!

Why drag you feet when buying brushes? Brushes are a tool they don't count as color cosmetics therefor I can buy them during my no buy!! Hahahahaha! Yep, had a debate about this with the no buy police and we agreed brushes ate tools and I can buy them!
One part money and one part can't decide what to get. I am a *horrific* decision-maker.

Ipsy discounts are killing me. I keep filling up carts but then I close out.

Trying to stay strong lol! 
scream3.gif

Originally Posted by Sheeeeeelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ipsy discounts are killing me. I keep filling up carts but then I close out.

Trying to stay strong lol! 
scream3.gif
Lol I know! I avoided the May Ipsy board until today. Ended up subbing 
icon_rolleyes.gif
. I was going to order some stuff from Pacifica but I'm getting stuff from them in two of my May subs so I closed out. 

Glad I found this thread!  I really need to go no buy for awhile, but low buy is probably the closest I will get.  I kept IPSY this month but canceled all my other subs.  I kept thinking if I saw a GB spoiler that intrigued me I'd resub but I think I'll stick to my guns on that one. I got a couple Pacifica roller balls for Mother's Day so I think those will probably tide me over this month.  Also patting myself on the back for not getting a 2nd (or 3rd) glam bag, and I really wanted to!  Just gotta keep reminding myself that my bank account will thank me
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a coupon for L'Oreal's new Healthy Look Creme Gloss hair color that was expiring on the 10th,  so I tracked my color down today at Walgreens.  Cost me the tax of 90 cents only.  However, when I was paying, the clerk gave me a $10 off $35 coupon good Friday through Sunday.  Tempting!
I ended up using the $10 off $35 coupon on stuff I needed like allergy medicine (for my dog), Mildex, Kleenex, and some razors.  No cosmetics.

However, I did end spend $25.23 at drugstore.com during the 30% off sale.  I'm okay with it, but back on the wagon again.

I do the exact same thing! Swapping has been the only thing to save me from myself. Otherwise, I would have to buy out Pacifica with the coupon code :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really wish I knew some good self control techniques. No buys are so hard. It's like I basically have to start over everyday. I literally have been unable to go 24 hours w/o purchasing a new beauty product.

Come on guys, please be considerate and use spoiler tags for your Ipsy spoilers.  I have avoided the Ipsy thread like the plague but I still know at least three of the things in the bag (which I have NOT received yet) due to these types of incidents.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by MsMeesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wish I knew some good self control techniques. No buys are so hard. It's like I basically have to start over everyday. I literally have been unable to go 24 hours w/o purchasing a new beauty product.
You're right, no buys can be a pain in the butt. I think it's easier if you think about why you keep buying new things. Are you trying to cheer yourself up by buying more make-up? Do you keep looking for better products to replace the ones you have? Or are you addicted to shopping? Or maybe there's some other reason? When you figure it out, you'll be able to understand yourself better and controlling your spending should be easier. 

I find that I can't commit to a no buy as of now so I've been doing a low buy, which has been working out quite nicely in May. It's less strict than a full-out no buy and somehow doesn't cause me as much stress. If I try to do a no buy I just start thinking "Ooh, I can't buy anything! I'm not allowed to!" whereas with a low buy I can better stick to a "I can buy a couple of things this month, but is this product really good enough to be one of those purchases? Would I rather wait and get something I like even more?".

That way I can focus on the low buy and learn to be selective about my purchases, which is a better long-term solution. If I was simply doing a no buy and not buying anything at all, I feel like I'd just revert right back to my old ways when the no buy ended because I wouldn't have learned to be so picky about what I buy and really make decisions about what I want and need.

Maybe it's strange but it works for me. 
smile.gif

Awwww the kittens distracted me from a sale for a few minutes. They have no/low-buy powers lol

So proud of myself. I was wandering around CVS after dropping off a prescription (infected gums...ouch!) and didn't buy a single nail polish! Even though I had some in my hand a couple of times. Woohoo! It's the little victories! 
claps.gif

Well we are already half way through May so I think I will try a Low buy June. Maybe I will have will power!
wink.gif

Back