MyGlam: September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BRILLIANT!!! Thank you so much for sharing!
You're very welcome! I hope it's inspiring because those things are pretty cheap and easy to make!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the other hand, next month I may be whining.  "Oh, yeah - give hot-pink lipgloss and flourescent nail polish several months in a row and make me think you're preachin' to a younger choir, and then the minute I cancel start sendin' the stuff I reallyreally want!  REEEAL nice, The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-MyGlam!" 
wink.gif
My thoughts exactly!!! I'm only hanging in here through October because I am curious about this new personalized approach. That will be the make or break month for me. I see how happy everyone is with their items, but this is my second bag, and I'm not feelin' it. I do love the bags, though! haha

P.s. I gave last month's gloss to my friend, and I know I won't use the Jane gloss, either. I haven't even swatched it; bright pink just looks terrible on me, in any variety. Anyone want to trade? My trade list is in my signature, if anyone is interested.

I got my bag friday and I'm happy with it.  I wish the polish stayed on better but I love the color.  I have used everything in the bag so far.

I pretty much love my bag this month. I think its the first time that I will actually use everything in the bag.

I didn't care for the polish much... it chipped way to easy so I may just use it for little details or something like that. I'm so excited about everything else though and I don't know, there's something about getting a little makeup bag every month that thrills me, LOL! I can never have too many and if I do, I'll give them away as gifts. I am in love with last month's lip gloss. I got 02 which is the darker pink. Usually I shy away from colors like that and go for lighter pinks but I gave it a shot and love it! It's a must-have in my purse. I haven't tried the Jane gloss yet but I'm sure I'll be just as happy with it. I can't wait to see how they'll start personalizing our bags and if the Ocotober bag is that black, red and white bag we've seen... I'm already freakin' excited and don't even know what's in it yet, ha ha!

Originally Posted by TheNittyPretty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't care for the polish much... it chipped way to easy so I may just use it for little details or something like that. I'm so excited about everything else though and I don't know, there's something about getting a little makeup bag every month that thrills me, LOL! I can never have too many and if I do, I'll give them away as gifts. I am in love with last month's lip gloss. I got 02 which is the darker pink. Usually I shy away from colors like that and go for lighter pinks but I gave it a shot and love it! It's a must-have in my purse. I haven't tried the Jane gloss yet but I'm sure I'll be just as happy with it. I can't wait to see how they'll start personalizing our bags and if the Ocotober bag is that black, red and white bag we've seen... I'm already freakin' excited and don't even know what's in it yet, ha ha!
Is it really sticky? I got it & gave it to a coworker.

Originally Posted by wintersnowpeach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by TheNittyPretty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it really sticky? I got it & gave it to a coworker.

If you mean last month's gloss, I didn't find it sticky at all. This month's is a bit thick, but not overly sticky in my opinion.

I was just taking pictures of the items for my blog (if we ever get it off the ground... everyone is so lazy...) and realized that the color (in the tube, at least) is an exact match to the color of my nails.

My nails right now are NARS Anardana, which is my absolute favorite pink nail polish. That said, not sure if I want that color on my lips. 
icon_eek.gif
 Not sure that would be flattering.

Off topic but quick question: can anyone PM me a step by step of how to start a group? thanks =)

Members are no longer able to create groups. If you need a group set up please let me know.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Members are no longer able to create groups. If you need a group set up please let me know.
oops, I just saw this. I actually already PM'd you. Thanks, Zadi!

So this was my first bag this month - I was so excited for it, and I am so underwhelmed it isn't even funny. I think the eyeshadow and lipgloss are so ridiculously cheap. I feel like I could've bought ones at a dollar store that are the same size and quality. I have tons of makeup brushes already. I really liked the color of the nailpolish once it was on. I painted my nails and toes at the same time, but by the next day my nails had already chipped like crazy (probably wasn't even an entire 24 hours later!!), but the polish does still look nice on my toes - weird! I probably like the Carol's Daughter sample the best, it really seems to me to be the only item that was from a quality brand.

I LOVE Glossybox and can usually find a few things I like in my BB each month. Totally disappointed. I've looked at what MyGlam/Ipsy sent out in the past, and I feel like they were much better than what was included this month! I'm going to give it another month, 2 max, and definitely cancel if things don't change. I would rather pay more $ for GlossyBox, but at least know I'm getting quality brands and things that I know I will actually use and look forward to trying.

Sorry - needed to vent and get this out!!

I'm glad that others were not as disappointed as I was! It's funny to read on these forums how with the same products/items, some of us are to happy and some are not!

I think the key for me when it comes to enjoying MyGlam/ipsy is to not expect luxury brands the way I do from Birchbox or Glossybox. I'm not sure if "ipsy" say anywhere on their site or wherever that they offer luxury/high-end beauty products, but if they do, I would disagree. It's very true that some of their products can be found in regular drugstores or are of that quality/price point -- and I'm okay with that. I wouldn't be if it were anything more than the $10 a month, but I still think we get more than that out of it in the value of the bag. For me, it replaces the silly impulse buys I'll sometimes be tempted to make at CVS or Target when I'm feeling girly or having a bad day or feel like trying something new just for the sake of trying something new. I also like that I have one sub where if I do happen to fall in love with a product, I won't need to spend $50-80 to buy the full-size.

Anyway, the real point of my post is that I just wanted to say that I tried the brush today and I actually really liked it! I agree that it seems a little weird that they call it a "smudge brush" because it's not any good at smudging, my only guess is that because it's such a soft brush you can use it to create a soft, diffused look similar to the way you might if you pack on a dark color or eyeliner and then blend it out. It's really nice for soft washes of color and with colors that you're afraid of being too heavy-handed with; for me, because I'm so light-skinned, darker crease/liner colors tend to look super heavy very fast, so I like soft brushes like this for those; it actually did seem to save me time blending those darker shades out to make them look more natural. I normally use the softer end of the double-ended brush that came with my Naked2 palette for that, but this works too.

I also tried it with a soft gold color that I often use to soften up darker colors when I feel like I've gone too dark, and it worked really well for that, again because it seems to work well as a diffuser. And at the very end, when I thought I was done with my matte neutral eye look and decided that I wanted to add just a little pop of color, I used it to pat on just a little hint of blue on my lids close to the outer corner of my eyes, and it worked really well for that, too. No blending needed.

Point being: I think it's worth giving the brush a chance! 
smile.gif

I think you have some good points. I think probably my main issue was I have been waiting so long to get my first bag, and have been super jealous of some of the great things that you wonderful gals got in the past! Hopefully next month will be better for me.

I really, really like the brush! It's more of a crease brush than a smudge brush but I don't care what it's called.

I love the brush too! I do wish the handle were a little shorter as it feels awkward to hold sometimes, but it's not a big deal. This bag was personally one of my favorites because I'll actually use every product. I'm super excited to see what October holds with the start of bag personalization :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the brush too! I do wish the handle were a little shorter as it feels awkward to hold sometimes, but it's not a big deal. This bag was personally one of my favorites because I'll actually use every product. I'm super excited to see what October holds with the start of bag personalization
biggrin.gif

I agree - while there was not really a "wow" item in the bag for me, or anything overly exciting, I have been using every single thing in this bag already.

And the brush works really well for me and my eye shape as a crease brush, and it's good for blending as well.

I loved almost everything in the bag this month, except for the Carol's Daughter hair sample, my hair is just too darn long to benefit from any sample size products so when I do get hair stuff it goes straight to my trade list :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> What I liked most about this bag was the eyeshadow and the brush and the bag itself, I love getting a new makeup bag every month!

Originally Posted by mirandamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I loved almost everything in the bag this month, except for the Carol's Daughter hair sample, my hair is just too darn long to benefit from any sample size products so when I do get hair stuff it goes straight to my trade list :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> What I liked most about this bag was the eyeshadow and the brush and the bag itself, I love getting a new makeup bag every month!
The hair sample was for your ends, you don't need to apply is all over. But I would be happy to take it off your hands :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just to go off what others have said, I do really like the brush.  Personally, I don't care that it's not a Nars brush or something...I think it works really good.  I really have been wanting a stiff, but not too hard brush to use to darken outter corner colors and really pack to color on.  I think this brush does that--and I also use it in the crease or to use with a transition color. 

The carols daughter hair stuff is good--It isn't too heavy for my hair which is good but it also makes my ends soft.  I like the gloss--I don't feel it's too sticky--actually, I don't find it sticky at all.  The shadow is a great transition color or all over color.  And the nail polish is pretty--though my only gripe is that it chips easily.

I'm happy with my bag and I hope they will continue to incorporate high end, well-known brands in as well, but as long as they give me stuff that I can use and is good quality I don't care.

Back