November 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confident I can continue the no buy into the month of November. I did extremely well last month. All I bought was a lighter shade of foundation specifically for Halloween. $5 in October was a definite jump from easily $200 in September. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

I bought something on Nov. 1st, but it was the $1 ELF Eyelid Primer. Other than that I'm not buying anything else except my makeup basics that I use everyday.

I haven't used up anything this month, but I hit pan on an e/s and on my pressed Bare Minerals foundation.

I tossed a Neutrogena Mascara since it was so craptasic. I hate to toss things (I had it open less than a week) but it was so clumpy it had to go.

I'm working on finishing 3 lip products this month: Lancome Juicy Tubes in Rose Fishnets, A Liplicious Lip Gloss in Best Kiss (the kind that turns to your perfect shade of pink), and Pixi Magic Tink Tint (also the kinda that turns to your perfect shade of pink). These color changing glosses look absolutely horrid on me and they always turn super bright pink, so I use them while at home.

I also just opened a new L'oreal mascara, but I toss mascara every thirty days, so I don't really count it.

-Sarah

Amy! I have failed miserably since you've been gone. I blame you - ha ha. Came very close to buying eyeshadow this morning. Must resist sales.

I can't believe I haven't spent a single dollar on makeup and skincare during October. I've been living off my stash and beauty subs. 

My favorite etsy make up seller is reformulating her really good stuff so I am determined to spend only on her stuff.

Maybe an early birthday gift from sephora for bf's sister's birthday present though :/ Does gifts for others count? lol

Congrats, yoru! I'd say gifts totally don't count, haha! =)

So, I was planning for my beauty subs (two to BB, and one to Ipsy) not to count against me for my low buy month, but I just got a message that I need to update my billing address for Ipsy in the next two days to get my bag. Now I feel like it's almost a sign that maybe I shouldn't get this month - I like the products, but they're nothing I need. ...but then again, I did have it built into my beauty budget. Hmm. I can't decide!

I don't think anyone counts gifts against their no-buy.

At least I don't. The reason I do no-buys (or attempt them) is because I have way too much stuff that I don't use. The monetary aspect is only the second reason.

Originally Posted by thewendyyybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats, yoru! I'd say gifts totally don't count, haha! =)

So, I was planning for my beauty subs (two to BB, and one to Ipsy) not to count against me for my low buy month, but I just got a message that I need to update my billing address for Ipsy in the next two days to get my bag. Now I feel like it's almost a sign that maybe I shouldn't get this month - I like the products, but they're nothing I need. ...but then again, I did have it built into my beauty budget. Hmm. I can't decide!
I'd keep ipsy! You get more than you paid. I am living off ipsy since they send out at least 2 makeup items now.

I am doing my first ever "No buy November" and it is already difficult. I keep thinking about all the new products that are coming out or are out. I keep getting emails from companies doing sales and showing me wonderful newbies. I am hanging on by a thread because I tech have subscription boxes that are coming at the end of the month but it is really difficult not to whip out that card and charge cosmetics. Anyone else feel me?

Originally Posted by mothermicky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am doing my first ever "No buy November" and it is already difficult. I keep thinking about all the new products that are coming out or are out. I keep getting emails from companies doing sales and showing me wonderful newbies. I am hanging on by a thread because I tech have subscription boxes that are coming at the end of the month but it is really difficult not to whip out that card and charge cosmetics. Anyone else feel me?
I totally understand. As for the emails from companies, I find it much easier if I just delete them straight away without opening and reading them. Maybe that would help you as well. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally understand. As for the emails from companies, I find it much easier if I just delete them straight away without opening and reading them. Maybe that would help you as well. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
 I'm with you on that!  That works for me as well.

Having a hard time resisting buying something with these awesome It Kits Sephora is offering with a purchase now...is it cheating on my no buy if I exchange something?!

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Confident I can continue the no buy into the month of November. I did extremely well last month. All I bought was a lighter shade of foundation specifically for Halloween. $5 in October was a definite jump from easily $200 in September. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D
Yay! When you do well, it's such a good feeling, isn't it?

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bought something on Nov. 1st, but it was the $1 ELF Eyelid Primer. Other than that I'm not buying anything else except my makeup basics that I use everyday.

I haven't used up anything this month, but I hit pan on an e/s and on my pressed Bare Minerals foundation.

I tossed a Neutrogena Mascara since it was so craptasic. I hate to toss things (I had it open less than a week) but it was so clumpy it had to go.

I'm working on finishing 3 lip products this month: Lancome Juicy Tubes in Rose Fishnets, A Liplicious Lip Gloss in Best Kiss (the kind that turns to your perfect shade of pink), and Pixi Magic Tink Tint (also the kinda that turns to your perfect shade of pink). These color changing glosses look absolutely horrid on me and they always turn super bright pink, so I use them while at home.

I also just opened a new L'oreal mascara, but I toss mascara every thirty days, so I don't really count it.

-Sarah
Good luck! I know you can do it. 3 lip products seems like a pretty reasonable goal. And I'm like you, too. I hate throwing anything out or getting rid of it, especially if it's been barely used (or not at all, which is a problem that I'm bumping into).

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amy! I have failed miserably since you've been gone. I blame you - ha ha. Came very close to buying eyeshadow this morning. Must resist sales.
Noooooo! I'm sorry! Haha, I'm back (at least for this thread!)

Don't do it, don't do it! Resist the sales. 

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't believe I haven't spent a single dollar on makeup and skincare during October. I've been living off my stash and beauty subs. 

My favorite etsy make up seller is reformulating her really good stuff so I am determined to spend only on her stuff.

Maybe an early birthday gift from sephora for bf's sister's birthday present though :/ Does gifts for others count? lol
That is SO amazing! Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration to us all. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by mothermicky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had done really well on a no buy with makeup, and I still am for the most part. But I totally know what  you mean. I've done really well as far as beauty products go  for the last few months, but now that I'm thinking about all of the beautiful limited edition holiday sets, the special deals, and upcoming sales, I get all antsy. I love Christmas/holiday themed stuff, so just by throwing a picture of a wreath, Christmassy sparkles, or mistletoe (or whatevs) on the box, I'm already twice as likely to buy it lol. 

I can second that! Pretty gift wrapped holiday items really sucker me.. I don't always read emails, because I know they're designed to pique your curiosity and get your wallets opened lol.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can second that! Pretty gift wrapped holiday items really sucker me.. I don't always read emails, because I know they're designed to pique your curiosity and get your wallets opened lol.
I'm an advertiser's dream customer, haha. It is SO easy to suck me in sometimes! 

Here are the things I'll be purchasing in November:

-Bearpaw boots from Hautelook. It actually is cold here, and I wear my black ones all the time, so I'm going to get some plain brown ones.

-Sephora: Philosophy snow angel and the buxom lip gloss set once the VIB sale starts up.

That's it! ...I hope. I've been sucked in by those daily $10 shirt sites, so hopefully I can successfully avoiding going crazy on those. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's it! ...I hope. I've been sucked in by those daily $10 shirt sites, so hopefully I can successfully avoiding going crazy on those. 
I don't even know what that is...

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't even know what that is...
They're websites like Teefury, The Yetee, etc that sell a design for 24 hours only, usually for $10. There are some really talented artists on there, but that's not how they get ya. It's the whole, "omg, in hours I won't ever have the chance to buy this again, so I must buy it now because it is available and cheap!" that sucks you in, even if you're kinda 'meh' about what they're offering for that day. 

Well, I decided to take the Ipsy renewal of the card thing as a sign that honestly, I don't need the stuff for this month. They're all nice products, but really, the colors aren't jumping out at me. So little victories!

Im trying not to spend annnnnnything before BlackFriday! Yeeeheee!

I seldom watch YT beauty tutorials and hauls and my spending lessened eventually.

One thing I also do is ask my husband if I could buy something. When he says sure, I do not end up buying it.
blink.gif

I'm so tempted to buy stuff, but I told myself I wouldn't until black friday!  Just a few more weeks of resisting......
marchmellow.gif

Back