November 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by thewendyyybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I decided to take the Ipsy renewal of the card thing as a sign that honestly, I don't need the stuff for this month. They're all nice products, but really, the colors aren't jumping out at me. So little victories!
I bet you're relieved!

I think I'm trying for this month, too. For real. Usually I'm like 'yeah whatever' but I mean it this time!

I splurged a bit this past weekend but from now on I'm done.

Black friday I rarely buy for myself so I should be okay for that. If I find stuff I would like though I can have a little.

Plus, I usually go BF shopping with my mum, so if theres anything I want I'm just like *hint hint*

Thats cheating, isn't it?

I'm going to go for a low-buy, since there are some little necessities I still need to purchase

I keep debating buying something from Sephora (i want the philosophy home for the holidays set) but I have to keep reminding myself that i don't use up shower gel's for months and i don't even like glosses lol. the holiday things really get me though!  I find that a good way to stop from buying something is to make a list of things i want to use up for a Project 10 Pan. It also helps to sit down and make a list of how many of each type of item you own! This way you know where your impulsive buying really lies :p counting all the products is enough to scare anyone away from buying for awhile!

i'm going for a low buy as well. i bought the fragrance sampler at sephora for my bf, and i bought holiday candles from bath and bodyworks, other than that i'm going to try and not buying anything else

I did indulge in the Sephora deal, but only spent $38 and got some goodies. I'm doing a low and no buy combo, so I'm making two lists. Since I keep finding myself failing, I decided there are certain things I'll let myself purchase, like restocking essentials and liners, then lipsticks(have soo many glosses, but never buy this). No buy...eye shadows, glosses, blush.. I also have close to 700 points between two BB accounts now(yay), so I'm going to try and use those up, to indulge myself.

I was sorely tempted by some nail polish today, but stayed strong and did not buy it!  

Keep it up, everyone, we can totally do this.

Another MuTer gave me this suggestion, she bought the travel size cosmetic jars from target to put foil samples in. My goal is to use up alll the foil samples I have before I buy more shampoo/conditioner. I know this doesn't seem like much but I actually have a ton lol especially hair product

I went nuts yesterday. I opened another LBB, ordered eyeshadow from Saucebox & Coastal Scents. I need to be done now.

Originally Posted by javagirl87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another MuTer gave me this suggestion, she bought the travel size cosmetic jars from target to put foil samples in. My goal is to use up alll the foil samples I have before I buy more shampoo/conditioner. I know this doesn't seem like much but I actually have a ton lol especially hair product
What a good idea. I have 2 glossyboxes full of foil samples...yikes!

I was suckered into picking up some nail polishes yesterday, but nothing else. I did go shopping, but bought Christmas presents for my brothers and managed to walk through Sephora without buying a single thing! Of course, I bought something online from them...so maybe not too successful. Oops! I went through my stash earlier and weeded a few things out, which I'll see if anyone wants on the trade threads. I have more, but am not quite willing to part with them yet. Silly because while I like the items, realistically I won't use them up fast enough and that makes me feel like I'm hoarding them. I've also decided to cancel my Julep acct next month. If they offer some glitters, I'll get a box and cancel. If not, I'll just cancel. I find myself enjoying other brands more and would rather pay out of pocket and know I love everything..rather than feel meh about it.

I was so close to buying nail polish! I forget I am on a no buy and i'll go browse around the nail polish section at the drugstores. Luckily I am getting one in my Ipsy bag so that will keep my from buying more polish. So far I haven't bought anything and I am proud, hoping this lasts for the rest of the month.

I'm not going to cancel julep but i'm definitely going to skip next month. Now that i'm realizing how often their polish chips that should be easy for me (hopefully lol). I feel like once Sephora stops offering those awesome itkits I won't be tempted to order anything anymore!

I stopped and thought about it. I don't reach for my Juleps, the formula is inconsistent, they chip on me easily, I'm usually meh about it. I get excited over mystery bags, but I always get excited over any company that does those..and would I ever pay retail or even the discounted price? Nope.. so I'm staying for glitters and if there aren't any, I'll cancel. I feel a little stupid for taking so long to come to this conclusion lol.

I went to Sephora tonight with one of my friends who wanted to get her eyes done. I was soooooo close to spending a ton in the store, but I looked at what I was holding and tried to think of similar items that I have at home. I ended up putting EVERYTHING back and only ended up with a sample I asked for of the Nars tinted moisturizer and a sample of Purity that was in a container on the makeup studio area. I am very proud of myself right now. It totally makes me feel like an addict when I feel like I can't control my shopping. It really helps to think of something you already have though, especially something you haven't even used yet. Trading has really been curbing my desire to shop, but I am still really tempted. I believe I have gone two weeks with only a small purchase of the Elf blemish stick and the Elf lotion wipes. It was only $4, so I would say I'm doing pretty good. 

I find that even trading hurts me lol so I stopped doing that. Because I end up trading things I don't want (but in reality have just never given a chance) and trading for something I have a billion of lol

Do shower gel and shampoo count as stuff I shouldn't buy if I don't need it? I got sucked in today at Ulta. Buy 2 get 2 free on the smoothies, so I got 3 Peppermint Stick and 1 Pink Sprinkle Cupcake, then Organix brand shampoo and conditioner was buy 1 get 1 half off. My total was something like $38, but I now have enough shower gel to last a year. Because I have 3 kinds of shampoo and conditioner already, I really could have done without more Organix Argan Oil stuff, but it was on sale. I would have bought every Orly Fall 2012 nail polish, too, but my Ulta doesn't have them. I really want them. Since the holiday polishes are out, maybe I can get the Fall ones on sale at Sally Beauty Supply?

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do shower gel and shampoo count as stuff I shouldn't buy if I don't need it? I got sucked in today at Ulta. Buy 2 get 2 free on the smoothies, so I got 3 Peppermint Stick and 1 Pink Sprinkle Cupcake, then Organix brand shampoo and conditioner was buy 1 get 1 half off. My total was something like $38, but I now have enough shower gel to last a year. Because I have 3 kinds of shampoo and conditioner already, I really could have done without more Organix Argan Oil stuff, but it was on sale. I would have bought every Orly Fall 2012 nail polish, too, but my Ulta doesn't have them. I really want them. Since the holiday polishes are out, maybe I can get the Fall ones on sale at Sally Beauty Supply?
I count it in mine! I'm really bad about going nuts over all of that seasonal and LE stuff, and I pretty much end up hoarding it. By the time that season rolls around again, I've still got that stuff I thought I wouldn't be able to get for ages. I walked through Sephora today, and I was really tempted to buy the Taylor Swift Wonderstruck gift set. I dunno. Maybe. I'm hoping I can resist and maybe just ask for it as a gift instead.

On the bright side, I finished a shampoo and conditioner today. Slowly but surely, progress is being made. I think for the next few weeks, I'm going to focus on getting through a hefty chunk of samples. 

Back