November 2012 No/Low Buy Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do shower gel and shampoo count as stuff I shouldn't buy if I don't need it? I got sucked in today at Ulta. Buy 2 get 2 free on the smoothies, so I got 3 Peppermint Stick and 1 Pink Sprinkle Cupcake, then Organix brand shampoo and conditioner was buy 1 get 1 half off. My total was something like $38, but I now have enough shower gel to last a year. Because I have 3 kinds of shampoo and conditioner already, I really could have done without more Organix Argan Oil stuff, but it was on sale. I would have bought every Orly Fall 2012 nail polish, too, but my Ulta doesn't have them. I really want them. Since the holiday polishes are out, maybe I can get the Fall ones on sale at Sally Beauty Supply?
They're not on sale, but available. I stopped by the other evening lol.

same here, i count it in mine too! i get hooked into sales and seasonal things as well. that's why right now i'm trying to finish all my foil packet hair products before i buy

Seems like November and December will be ALL BUY months since its HOLIDAYS :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Beeeheee.

I am thinking of cutting down on makeup purchase but couldn't seem to help myself with all of the sales!

There is one outlet mall in Livermore which recently opened and me and my sisters-in-law did a Sip-and-Shop thing.

Hubby gave me money but did not buy anything! Now that I am home alone, I'm tempted to look at sales on line because of my email loaded with SALES ads! Poooof!
11dh.gif

I am happy in a way that I won in a raffle by BH Cosmetics in their FB wall, I got their BH Day & Night Palette. Weirdy!! I rarely join raffle contests and when I just randomly sign up, I win something. Too good for wishful thinking.
7b.gif

I'm already planning what I'm going to buy myself in December lol I know I need a new foundation cause I'm running out of mine but the more I keep looking at makeup websites the more I am wanting more makeup!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was suckered into picking up some nail polishes yesterday, but nothing else. I did go shopping, but bought Christmas presents for my brothers and managed to walk through Sephora without buying a single thing! Of course, I bought something online from them...so maybe not too successful. Oops!

I went through my stash earlier and weeded a few things out, which I'll see if anyone wants on the trade threads. I have more, but am not quite willing to part with them yet. Silly because while I like the items, realistically I won't use them up fast enough and that makes me feel like I'm hoarding them.

I've also decided to cancel my Julep acct next month. If they offer some glitters, I'll get a box and cancel. If not, I'll just cancel. I find myself enjoying other brands more and would rather pay out of pocket and know I love everything..rather than feel meh about it.
I get the same feeling about Hoarding products. Especially drug store products that I feel may be discontinued.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm an advertiser's dream customer, haha. It is SO easy to suck me in sometimes! 

Here are the things I'll be purchasing in November:

-Bearpaw boots from Hautelook. It actually is cold here, and I wear my black ones all the time, so I'm going to get some plain brown ones.

-Sephora: Philosophy snow angel and the buxom lip gloss set once the VIB sale starts up.

That's it! ...I hope. I've been sucked in by those daily $10 shirt sites, so hopefully I can successfully avoiding going crazy on those. 
I just bought some Bearpaw boots. Even though i live in Arizona. Maybe my BF will take me to the snow so they can actually be used.

And I'm ignoring all sales this season for things that I do not use at least 5 times a week. I got my VIB sale stuff from Sephora and some sale flyer from Ulta and it went directly in the garbage can (actually the recycling bin)!

Originally Posted by diana16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm so tempted to buy stuff, but I told myself I wouldn't until black friday!  Just a few more weeks of resisting......
marchmellow.gif
I'm forgoing Black Friday this year. I'm going to try to work instead. Except my work is located near many high-end shopping centers, so we'll see how that goes.

I was suckered into picking up some nail polishes yesterday, but nothing else. I did go shopping, but bought Christmas presents for my brothers and managed to walk through Sephora without buying a single thing! Of course, I bought something online from them...so maybe not too successful. Oops!

I went through my stash earlier and weeded a few things out, which I'll see if anyone wants on the trade threads. I have more, but am not quite willing to part with them yet. Silly because while I like the items, realistically I won't use them up fast enough and that makes me feel like I'm hoarding them.

I've also decided to cancel my Julep acct next month. If they offer some glitters, I'll get a box and cancel. If not, I'll just cancel. I find myself enjoying other brands more and would rather pay out of pocket and know I love everything..rather than feel meh about it.
Yeah, I never want to wear reds and greens, but all of a sudden I want the full Christmas collections from every nail polish company. it must be the sparkles.

Originally Posted by 19ten20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just bought some Bearpaw boots. Even though i live in Arizona. Maybe my BF will take me to the snow so they can actually be used.

And I'm ignoring all sales this season for things that I do not use at least 5 times a week. I got my VIB sale stuff from Sephora and some sale flyer from Ulta and it went directly in the garbage can (actually the recycling bin)!

I'm forgoing Black Friday this year. I'm going to try to work instead. Except my work is located near many high-end shopping centers, so we'll see how that goes.

Yeah, I never want to wear reds and greens, but all of a sudden I want the full Christmas collections from every nail polish company. it must be the sparkles.
I love mine! I don't feel guilty about ordering them from Hautelook anymore. They cost me $35, and I got the plain style instead of the more ornate decorated ones that cost twice as much. I saw some in the exact same style at Target and they cost the same price, and I know Bearpaw is much higher quality.

I tossed all of my VIB stuff from Sephora in the garbage. Don't need it! I've been deleting emails instantly as they come in. It seems to be helping. Sometimes an enticing subject will still draw me in, though. 

Yes, sparkles and glitter..make me weak! Lol, its horrible.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love mine! I don't feel guilty about ordering them from Hautelook anymore. They cost me $35, and I got the plain style instead of the more ornate decorated ones that cost twice as much. I saw some in the exact same style at Target and they cost the same price, and I know Bearpaw is much higher quality.

I tossed all of my VIB stuff from Sephora in the garbage. Don't need it! I've been deleting emails instantly as they come in. It seems to be helping. Sometimes an enticing subject will still draw me in, though. 
Damn, I paid $70 for the plain Tall Bearpaw boots. If I didn't have to try everything on that I buy I would sign up for Hautelook.

Yes, sparkles and glitter..make me weak! Lol, its horrible.
Yeah, I'm one of those people that gets sucked into make up collections because I find them "nostalgic" even though the product might be crap.

I'm surprised I haven't been suckered into anything from MAC. I almost bought a theBalm palette that had maybe 2 shades of e/s that suited me. It was the Balm Jovi Palette. If there hadn't been grunge music references used in the names of the shades I probably would have bought two or three of them.

I'm doing great on my no-buy this month. I feel like I have finally made it a habit. This month, even though it probably doesn't seem like much, I'm going to aim to use all of my samples up. I found that for a while, I would get samples, put them in my sample box and then forget about that. I've already finished a sample of Jouer Matte Moisture Tint and I must say, I was sad to see it go. Stay strong this month ladies. This is the time when stores prey on consumers, but I think we can all say no to that :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm doing pretty well, but caved a little yesterday.  I found a product I've been wanting for ages--it normally sells for $20, and I've seen it at $16 a few time son sale.  I resisted and resisted.  But yesterday I found the same product for slightly under $10.  That seemed like WAY too good a deal, so I bought it.  I'm going to try not to buy for the rest of the month though.  And I'm doing great with using stuff up.

Blergh, considering that I dropped 68 dollars on Sephora the other day, I guess you could say I'm not doing so well. But, I've been planning that purchase for a long time, so I'm tempted to not count it. If I don't count that, then I haven't spent any money on cosmetics/skin care/what have you, save for one BB. I even dropped my Ipsy sub. So...sort of progress? XD

My low buy this month is going well. Skipped Beauty Army & LBB. I did resubscribe to Ipsy/MyGlam though. Made a trip to Ulta yesterday and only left with the two items I went in for and my freebies. I spent a little less than $13 which is amazing.  I kept going by the NYX buy one get 50% off but there isn't anything I really NEED.

Had to pick up makeup remover wipes today and because the makeup was only an isle away, I of course had to look. I had a lipstick in my hand and continued walking through the store looking for Christmas presents. I kept telling myself I didn't need another lipstick, but I wanted it so bad. Finally I got up the strength to put it back and only walked out of there with what I needed. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by JessicaMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Had to pick up makeup remover wipes today and because the makeup was only an isle away, I of course had to look. I had a lipstick in my hand and continued walking through the store looking for Christmas presents. I kept telling myself I didn't need another lipstick, but I wanted it so bad. Finally I got up the strength to put it back and only walked out of there with what I needed. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
applaus.gif
Good Job!!!

I purchased a Christmas gift from Sephora this morning and somehow resisted adding anything else! Not for lack of trying though, haha. I was going to get an eyeshadow brush that was on sale but they sold out before I placed my order. Taking that as a sign not to buy anything!

Originally Posted by hindsighting /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I purchased a Christmas gift from Sephora this morning and somehow resisted adding anything else! Not for lack of trying though, haha. I was going to get an eyeshadow brush that was on sale but they sold out before I placed my order. Taking that as a sign not to buy anything!
Good for you. It feels great, doesn't it? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've done fairly well with all the sales, indulging in Sephora's only by getting the UD Ocho Loco pencil set.  I regretted not getting the 15th anniversary set when it came out so decided I'd better get the Ocho Loco at 20% off. 

I'm guessing I will take advantage of after holiday sales to pick up some stuff I would have liked to have gotten, assuming any are still available.

Back