November 2013 Square Hue -- SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSilverNail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well, looks like I was wrong and the "journey" is indeed referring to the box for December, The Passport Collection: New York.  What does everyone think of the new preview picture?  I love the shiny bright purple & don't think SqH had had nearly enough purples yet (don't mean that critically, just my personal taste).  But... do you think there's going to be another yellow or gold?  Please say no; we've gotten so many.  The bright teal blue is pretty too, but there's also black, white, red ... hmmm.  I don't expect black at all since that was just in the Moto Collection.

603155_672486329451756_1961494791_n.jpg

Since this is called The Passport Collection: New York, I wonder if there are going to be more in the Passport Collection but themed around other cities.  Ooh, Paris, Tokyo, London.... could be way fun!!
I just started a December thread!  I definitely think more cities are likely to be on the way.  Did you see the letter from George in _Inc._ magazine?  I found the letter and response to be really interesting.  This is definitely a company that realizes it has certain limitations and does not seem to be going full-steam-ahead to go beyond those (*cough*Bondi*cough*, although I firmly believe *that* was *always* intended to be a long con.  It is a *classic* example).  He mentioned something about wanting to ship globally but not having a clue how to do that.  I was very intrigued to discover that this company is run by six people (three couples), four of whom work for the same church (I have to confess that when SH started, I dug into his background to see what else he and his wife -- also a partner in the company -- had done, and when I saw that both of them worked for their church, I heaved a sigh of relief at their specific positions and handed my money over), and this is a side gig for all of them because they all have other full-time jobs.  And they donate 30% of their profit to charity.  That's the first time I've seen a specific number on that.  It's much higher than I had been expecting.  It's not 30% of the gross, but it's more than a lot of companies donate, and it seems like a perfectly reasonable amount.  It does *not* feel like they're using the donation angle to drum up business like a lot of other companies (October just ended, and with it, the pink-everything-under-the-sun-for-more-sales-we-mean-breast-cancer-awareness month is over).  When I read their Facebook feed, it feels more like they're using the SquareHue brand to promote the A21 campaign, not the other way around, especially since it's not a well-known charity.  I had never even *heard* of it before SH.  

And Norm got the same impression that I did:  They started this business specifically to raise money for charity.  He suggested that they map out a plan for the next year (or two) to accomplish their goals.  He also suggested that they not waste their time/money/energy trying to figure out how to sell internationally, but they may be able to work with other companies that *do* sell internationally and figure out how to do it.  Combined with the fact that this is the Passport Collection: New York, I have a feeling that this is going to be a series that could very well culminate in shipping internationally beyond just Canada.  We're just lucky enough to be able to be part of this growth!  I would be very interested in cross-promotion, like if they were able to team up with an eyeshadow/lipstick company with similar goals and do a themed collection across both companies one month.  It does feel like they spent the first part of 2013 finding their feet and letting word of mouth grow their business, and now they might be moving on to actively promoting themselves (they definitely seem to be popping up in more and more press lately).

Um.  Yeah.  Did I mention the coffee has kicked in?  I'll stop this post now.

Thanks for the long post!  I'll keep my December speculations in the new thread.  Am really looking forward to receiving my November box, hopefully tomorrow.  :-D

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I just started a December thread!  I definitely think more cities are likely to be on the way.  Did you see the letter from George in _Inc._ magazine?  I found the letter and response to be really interesting.  This is definitely a company that realizes it has certain limitations and does not seem to be going full-steam-ahead to go beyond those (*cough*Bondi*cough*, although I firmly believe *that* was *always* intended to be a long con.  It is a *classic* example).  He mentioned something about wanting to ship globally but not having a clue how to do that.  I was very intrigued to discover that this company is run by six people (three couples), four of whom work for the same church (I have to confess that when SH started, I dug into his background to see what else he and his wife -- also a partner in the company -- had done, and when I saw that both of them worked for their church, I heaved a sigh of relief at their specific positions and handed my money over), and this is a side gig for all of them because they all have other full-time jobs.  And they donate 30% of their profit to charity.  That's the first time I've seen a specific number on that.  It's much higher than I had been expecting.  It's not 30% of the gross, but it's more than a lot of companies donate, and it seems like a perfectly reasonable amount.  It does *not* feel like they're using the donation angle to drum up business like a lot of other companies (October just ended, and with it, the pink-everything-under-the-sun-for-more-sales-we-mean-breast-cancer-awareness month is over).  When I read their Facebook feed, it feels more like they're using the SquareHue brand to promote the A21 campaign, not the other way around, especially since it's not a well-known charity.  I had never even *heard* of it before SH.  

And Norm got the same impression that I did:  They started this business specifically to raise money for charity.  He suggested that they map out a plan for the next year (or two) to accomplish their goals.  He also suggested that they not waste their time/money/energy trying to figure out how to sell internationally, but they may be able to work with other companies that *do* sell internationally and figure out how to do it.  Combined with the fact that this is the Passport Collection: New York, I have a feeling that this is going to be a series that could very well culminate in shipping internationally beyond just Canada.  We're just lucky enough to be able to be part of this growth!  I would be very interested in cross-promotion, like if they were able to team up with an eyeshadow/lipstick company with similar goals and do a themed collection across both companies one month.  It does feel like they spent the first part of 2013 finding their feet and letting word of mouth grow their business, and now they might be moving on to actively promoting themselves (they definitely seem to be popping up in more and more press lately).

Um.  Yeah.  Did I mention the coffee has kicked in?  I'll stop this post now.
What did you find out about this church? Anything about their position on same-sex marriage?

What did you find out about this church? Anything about their position on same-sex marriage?
I didn't dig into that or their stance on abortion. Since the money isn't going directly to that but rather to an anti-human trafficking organization, I decided to go ahead and sign up.

Quote: Originally Posted by sarahjaneb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I too would like to know how they feel about equal rights for all, including women, LGTBs, and so on.  This is news to me, that it's church-related.  What did you find out about their "specific positions"?

Hmmm, I too would like to know how they feel about equal rights for all, including women, LGTBs, and so on.  This is news to me, that it's church-related.  What did you find out about their "specific positions"?
Yeah, I asked about same-sex marriage because it tends to go along with certain other views. A church that's against same-sex marriage will also tend to hold very conservative views about women's roles both within the church and in society.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't dig into that or their stance on abortion. Since the money isn't going directly to that but rather to an anti-human trafficking organization, I decided to go ahead and sign up.

Yeah, I asked about same-sex marriage because it tends to go along with certain other views. A church that's against same-sex marriage will also tend to hold very conservative views about women's roles both within the church and in society.
As long as they aren't using their profits to campaign to promote their various beliefs, I'm good.  I don't care what your beliefs are and I'm a big proponent of unaccepting what offends you just as much as I am with accepting things you might not understand...what I mean is, I find it just as acceptable to be pro-life as it is to be pro-choice.  What works for me doesn't have to work for you,  just don't insist I should be "on your side."  I'm one of those odd people who believes that hate speech is acceptable because without it, there would be no freedom of speech, and I'm not real fond of people who think I should accept everything in the entire world because it's the politically correct thing to do.

I sincerely wish people would just leave each other the f*ck alone to believe what they want to believe and not act like someone is a righteous douchebag if say, they don't promote gay marriage.  To me, as long as you're not beating people up or ostracising them, believe what you want to believe...get me?  For the record, I'm pro whatever is right for you.

Like I said, I saw that the people involved had stable, trustworthy jobs and that the money was going to an anti-human trafficking group, and I stopped digging.  Slavery is a *huge* issue in my area (and, in fact, my *neighborhood*) that hardly anyone even *knows* about.  And I thought the church affiliation was common knowledge.  They don't hide who is involved with the company, and they don't hide their personal affiliations with their church.  And I look at it this way: Any money and energy going to fight this cause is money and energy *not* going to other causes.

Can anyone verify whether any of the funds from SH are contributed directly to that church or if 100% of the charitable contributions go to less controversial organizations? Although I'm not sure how to feel about even indirectly supporting this religious movement, if we could start there, it might help.

Quote: Originally Posted by jennm149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone verify whether any of the funds from SH are contributed directly to that church or if 100% of the charitable contributions go to less controversial organizations?

Although I'm not sure how to feel about even indirectly supporting this religious movement, if we could start there, it might help.
From what I've found, the donations from Square Hue go solely and directly to A21.  It might have mostly church people involved in it, but that just seems to be the way the world works.  If I recall correctly, the Quakers were the first organized abolitionists in North America even before the US existed.  

Quote: Originally Posted by jennm149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone verify whether any of the funds from SH are contributed directly to that church or if 100% of the charitable contributions go to less controversial organizations?

Although I'm not sure how to feel about even indirectly supporting this religious movement, if we could start there, it might help.
Based on what they say on their website, none of it is going to a church.  It's going to http://www.thea21campaign.org/

Y'all. I really should not be having to say this right now, but here is my one and only friendly reminder:

Quote: Be polite and respect other members and staff. Blatant mean posts will result in banning of user account and/or ip address.

Also, if it necessary to make a separate topic about the Squarehue/Church Issue, then one of you are more than welcome to do that.

I think it's a bit sad that the Bondi fiasco makes us all feel like we have to dig into other companies....As for SH, they don't rip people off, I love their consistency with billing and shipping and their polishes and their bottles!  I think it wouldn't be a problem to write them and ask for proof of charitable donations.  I don't think them to be another Bondi.  I'll email and see what they have to say vis a vis A21.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I think it's a bit sad that the Bondi fiasco makes us all feel like we have to dig into other companies....As for SH, they don't rip people off, I love their consistency with billing and shipping and their polishes and their bottles!  I think it wouldn't be a problem to write them and ask for proof of charitable donations.  I don't think them to be another Bondi.  I'll email and see what they have to say vis a vis A21.
Well, to be fair to subs in general, I did my digging well before Bondi.  I did it just two weeks short of a year ago before Square Hue even sent out their first box.  I think I was remembering the Posh Pod debacle and was wary of an untested sub.

If the SquareHue money goes towards fighting human trafficking then I am more than AOK with that (how could you not be).

Edit:  I've edited this post more than a couple of times!

Most churches have a lot of intolerance.  It doesn't stop me from donating to Salvation Army because they don't believe what I believe.  I focus on the good they do and let the politicians work out the rest.

Like I said, if I boycotted every company that has some stance that offends me, I'd have to grow my own food and slaughter my own meat.  Almost every company is an evil empire these days so I don't care what SH believes.  Their church is relatively small and no matter what they believe, they're not doing any damage.  Westboro is small and is a laughing stock.  It tries to do damage and fails.  Most people see them as a joke...which is what they are.

I did write SH to ask about proof of charitable donations.  If they respond with proof, I'm good.

You're right in that the Bondi mess has made me more suspicious... darn them all to heck.  Bondi, not SquareHue.  ;-)

Yes, thanks, that's great to hear.  I hope I didn't sound like a witch.... sigh... the Bondi train wreck has messed with my mind.

Now, back to I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO GET MY NOVEMBER SQUAREHUE BOX TOMORROW!!  Woo hoo!

Back