Open Bag Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by MoiSurtout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Aww, thanks! I remember you then, and I appreciated that! <3 After that experience, I tend to just lurk in chat occasionally. It's nice to know that not everyone is like that!
I think there are a ton of really nice people on the site. The big problem with chat is that they get to be friends with each other and since we are "outsiders" they think it's okay to jump all over us to show their loyalty to their bud. I avoid chat for this reason and lots of other reasons.

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am so glad I haven't done LBB.  I almost pulled the trigger, but I stopped myself and shopped at TJ Maxx instead.  Every story I read is a nightmare.  Someone even left me a $15 coupon for them on my Facebook, but I still couldn't bring myself to use it.
It used to be so much fun and a great concept, but yeah, everything about the site has gone downhill. The trading is really difficult, unless you are with the in crowd in chat. And obviously customer service is now terrible. They used to care about their customers with the whole "happiness guarantee" but now it's more like, Tough! You don't like it? You're just SOL.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Yeah, I've got a bag open since I had a credit, but I'm thinking it's going to be my last.  It's just not fun any more.  I did manage to trade my freebie necklace for a gorgeous $58 paisley wool scarf, and then once I realized that it's wool (I'm mildly allergic) and remembered that I have probably a dozen scarves that I love but haven't worn in a year or two, I traded that for a combo of four different items worth more than $80 that I will be playing with trading up.  I still have a bit of a credit left, and I may very well just trade this stuff up as far as I can and then gift it over to my other account in order to try to get one last bag consisting entirely of things I will use.  
Me too. They screwed up my orders so often that I had credits and promo codes to use up. So I've had a couple open bags the past month and when I'm done with this one, it's time to close my account and just shop TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Burlington. I can find the same bags, scarves, and so much more there without the hassle.

Quote: Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just wanted to share why I am going to quit ordering from Little Black Bag. I'll post some back and forth emails below, but for background, here is what happened. They had just released a Steve Madden scarf I wanted. It was selling quickly. So instead of waiting to see if I could use an exchange credit after 24 hours, I opened a new bag for it. When several weeks had passed since closing and it still had not shipped, I emailed them to ask what happened. They said they'd tried emailing me because the Steve Madden was out of stock. They wanted to offer me one single $50 item for a bag which had 2 items worth around $65-75 when my bag closed. I was angry off the bat because this had happened to me before with LBB. But the big difference when it happened the first time was that it was an item I'd kept in my bag through gifting for some time while I tried to decide if I wanted it or not, *plus* it happened just after they moved warehouses. This time it happened with a brand new item and I had placed my order when there were around 5 or 6 scarves left. So it was bad enough that it happened in the first place, but they only made it worse by the way they responded to me. Here's the last few back and forth emails in a spoiler:

Here is where I declined their oh so generous offer of giving me a $50 item credit for my $29 order. Never mind the fact that they wanted to keep my $29 to open a bag which gave me 2 items and the scarf I opened with was probably close to $50 by itself. Yes, to make up for their own error, they wanted to give me less of a deal than I could have gotten for opening up a brand new $29 bag. Crazy:  
Heather Hicks, Nov 28 04:10 pm (PST): Given the circumstances, I'd prefer a full refund for all charges relating to this order (including shipping, if applicable). I don't recall what Little Black Bag stated as the retail value on the scarf, but I see it can be purchased for $48 on Zappos. I had a pair of earrings in my bag with a Little Black Bag estimated value of $24. Thus, one single $50 item code or exchange credit would not compensate me for the two items I lost of a higher combined value. I hope you understand my logic. Because trading is involved, when something like this happens, it has an even greater impact than it would have at an ordinary store. It also makes offering exchange credits or even full refunds inadequate if the person who placed the order was able to trade upward in retail value. Quite frankly, I always try to do this with items I don't want, and I simply send an item back for an exchange credit if I don't like it to 'preserve the value I gained by trading up.' I still do not understand exactly what led to this error and I still maintain that this should not happen with a brand new item now that you have completed your move. If departments need to better coordinate with one another, they need to learn how to do so very quickly. Of course, I don't blame any individual person for this. I was angry (and still am very disappointed) in the company as a whole. Things like this cannot be allowed to continue or Little Black Bag will lose the trust of their customers and all their integrity, which is still important to me, personally. HeatherLittle Black Bag

Here is their response:

Reese, Nov 29 12:00 pm (PST): Hi HeatherSorry for all of the trouble you have been experiencing. I'll cancel this bag for you as a one time courtesy and you'll see the refund for the amount charged on your card for the order in a few business days. We hope that you'll check back since we add new merchandise to the site on a weekly basis!Have a delightful day,ReeseCustomer Service AmbassadorWe'd really appreciate it if you can take a couple of minutes to fill out our survey regarding our conversation. Please go to http://www.instant.ly/s/eq9Li to let us know how we did!

And here is my final response to them sent less than 5 minutes ago:

No Reese. This will NOT be my "one time courtesy cancel." You are correcting your (as in the company's) own mistakes! I have ordered numerous bags from this company over the past 2-3 years. I have never asked to cancel a bag. I don't intend to do so. In fact, I don't intend to do so because I plan on using up all my exchange credits instead of opening a new bag and then I am going to cancel my subscription. No offense to you personally, but this company has the worst overall customer service I have seen in a long time. Yes, problems are taken care of, but the attitude in which they are taken care of is horrible. Prime example--calling my cancellation request a 'courtesy' as if you are doing me a favor after I did something wrong. Perhaps to you it is all semantics (and I'm sure it is the company's asinine policy to make you refer to it as a 'courtesy cancel' no matter what) , but I find it very insulting. You have great products for the most part, but I'll look elsewhere to make purchases now that I know what brands I like. Again, no personal offense and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Sorry to see you are back at work on Friday instead of having another day off. Heather

Boy was I happy to see that survey link, lol! 
OMG!!! Same exact thing happened to me with the Steve Madden fringe scarf (think that's the name) ordered on the 1st of November didn't even want to risk not getting it so I shipped bag right away. Last week I realized I hadn't received it. Emailed customer service was told they sold out and I could get a $50 credit. Told them to refund order and cancel account. No apology. Nothing! When I ordered there were about 8 left. I am officially done with little black bag.

Me too. They screwed up my orders so often that I had credits and promo codes to use up. So I've had a couple open bags the past month and when I'm done with this one, it's time to close my account and just shop TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Burlington. I can find the same bags, scarves, and so much more there without the hassle.
I really just need to not get so much stuff, period. Right now, I'm thinking about flipping everything in my bag over to nail wraps/nail polish/eyeshadow and calling it quits.

I am so glad I haven't done LBB.  I almost pulled the trigger, but I stopped myself and shopped at TJ Maxx instead.  Every story I read is a nightmare.  Someone even left me a $15 coupon for them on my Facebook, but I still couldn't bring myself to use it.

I will say I've had more good experiences than bad experiences with them. The trouble is, the bad experiences tend to be really, really, really bad. Ever since they started changing their policies they've had a 'the customer is always wrong' attitude. They think their sh*t don't stink, basically.

Yeah, I've got a bag open since I had a credit, but I'm thinking it's going to be my last.  It's just not fun any more.  I did manage to trade my freebie necklace for a gorgeous $58 paisley wool scarf, and then once I realized that it's wool (I'm mildly allergic) and remembered that I have probably a dozen scarves that I love but haven't worn in a year or two, I traded that for a combo of four different items worth more than $80 that I will be playing with trading up.  I still have a bit of a credit left, and I may very well just trade this stuff up as far as I can and then gift it over to my other account in order to try to get one last bag consisting entirely of things I will use.  

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  WTF??? I don't understand why they didn't just offer the chance for you to pick two items to makeup for their mistake in the first place. And yeah, I would have picked a couple items that were more expensive than the ones you missed out on, since it is their error! That's some really bad customer service!

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It used to be so much fun and a great concept, but yeah, everything about the site has gone downhill. The trading is really difficult, unless you are with the in crowd in chat. And obviously customer service is now terrible. They used to care about their customers with the whole "happiness guarantee" but now it's more like, Tough! You don't like it? You're just SOL.

Exactly! I just wish someone else would do what they do and I'd gladly purchase from them. Love the trading; hate the customer service!

Quote: Originally Posted by ginmorel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  OMG!!! Same exact thing happened to me with the Steve Madden fringe scarf (think that's the name) ordered on the 1st of November didn't even want to risk not getting it so I shipped bag right away. Last week I realized I hadn't received it. Emailed customer service was told they sold out and I could get a $50 credit. Told them to refund order and cancel account. No apology. Nothing! When I ordered there were about 8 left. I am officially done with little black bag.

Yep! Just what happened to me. I guess I'm not surprised. Sad though, isn't it?

Sounds like I touched a lot of nerves here. I don't know what is going on, but I'm fed up with it. I did purchase a few things from the sale because I had lots of credits to use up. I also have about a dozen or more items to send back for credits. But I'm getting reasonably close to having all I want from them now. I'm hoping to end that way--with nothing left I want to obtain from the site--and just walk away happy. Then again, with no guarantee I will actually receive the items in my bag, I'm not so sure I can. As I told them, why should I open new bags with you guys if there is no certainty I will actually get my items *and* I pretty much am guaranteed that if I don't get something, customer service will give me the run around even though it is LBB's mistake?!

Last night I got an email from LBB letting me know that an item in my bag was out-of-stock and to pick out another item of the same retail value, they also offered me an extra item in my next bag for the inconvenience.  I was a little sad, but it was an older item (Skyn Iceland set which I think released before the warehouse move) and I had the only one, so the news wasn't that big of a shock, as a new item might have been.

Anyway, I asked for a pair of the new Guess shoes that just released on the 1st, but they were about $30 more in retail, however the Skyn set was the same add-to-bag price as the shoes.  And I told them I didn't need the extra item if they were willing to exchange me the shoes.  And they did the exchange for me, so I was really pleased they were willing to do that because there was really nothing else I wanted.

Luckily this went pretty smoothly.  I've had some hellish experiences with LBB's CS in the past, over shipping problems, but my experiences with them have improved a lot in the past 6 months. And no problems with shipping since they've moved warehouses and switched carriers. 

The CS agents are also a lot less inappropriately chirpy (which is annoying when you have an unresolved problem, and aren't talking about boys or the mall), and they don't waste time making excuses, but rather just resolve my issue as quickly as possible, or if they can't do it quickly, they offer something as a measure of goodwill(a little code or something).  

So, I'd say for me at least, they've improved a lot.  Their agents used to be so incredibly annoying I actually felt tempted, or even provoked by how dense and unhelpful they seemed to be, to be really mean to them; but I haven't felt tempted at all to be mean or even short or anything other than nice to them in a long time.

Of course, any improvement might look like a magical rainbow to me when contrasted against my prior experiences with LBB's CS, lol.  No, but seriously, I do think they've improved.  

LBB does of course still need to sort out it's out-of-stock issues, and I think they are, and CS of course needs to be sensitive to the customers affected by LBB's out-of-stock problems and go a wee bit above and beyond in the resolution.  Don't need to offer the moon and the stars or anything, like they did for some people a while ago, but a wee above and beyond is appropriate I think.  What they offered me was fair, I thought.  And the resolution we came to was also fair, I think.

Huh.  I started this bag with:

-- $31 card case (this was my purchased item)

-- some earrings ($20-ish?)

-- bonus $65 wishbone necklace (this was the free VIP item)

I hadn't been paying attention to what they were adding to my bag, and I immediately kicked myself for not trying to get a non-jewelry item instead of the earrings, but I managed to swap them for nail wraps (I'm going through a nail wraps phase) fairly quickly.  Then I went through and placed a bunch of offers for various things with the necklace, not expecting much of anything.  Someone accepted an offer for a gorgeous $58 hot pink silk infinity scarf.  Huh.  Okay.  I didn't sneak in and steal someone's big arranged offer, so whatever.  Then I placed some random offers with that and flipped it to a beautiful paisley scarf of the same value.  Then I realized that it's wool (mildly allergic, and I have many, many scarves I hardly ever wear, so I need to stop collecting these things!) and accepted a trade for it that popped up:  Three jewelry items and value of more than $80.  One of them was a hideous ring.  Off to make more offers.  The hideous ring?  Is now a BH Cosmetics eyeshadow palette.  The other two items are nail wraps and polish.

And now the card case.  I started regretting it almost as soon as I got it.  I swapped it for one in a different color.  Whatever.  I just wasn't feeling it, and I was starting to think I should accept an offer to split it into a couple small things to try to flip to makeup.  Then this morning, another offer popped up:  A four-item swap worth over $100.  I refreshed a couple of times, and it was still there, so I grabbed it.  I haven't had a chance to really get into making offers with those items, but I think my chances of flipping them to makeup is fairly good, especially since I still have four and a half days to go.

So.  Current bag:

-- two NCLA nail polishes

-- two NCLA nail wraps

-- BH Cosmetics palette

-- $35 bracelet (I know this was the VIP gift last month, but that doesn't mean someone won't want to swap for it)

-- two $22 rings

-- $22 earrings

I'm concentrating on swapping the jewelry away, but I'm still comfortable with the progress I've made so far.  Especially since I've had a couple of swaps accepted that made me squint at the "Trade accepted" graphic and think, "Wait, *really*?  Okay…"

Huh.  I started this bag with:

-- $31 card case (this was my purchased item)

-- some earrings ($20-ish?)

-- bonus $65 wishbone necklace (this was the free VIP item)

I hadn't been paying attention to what they were adding to my bag, and I immediately kicked myself for not trying to get a non-jewelry item instead of the earrings, but I managed to swap them for nail wraps (I'm going through a nail wraps phase) fairly quickly.  Then I went through and placed a bunch of offers for various things with the necklace, not expecting much of anything.  Someone accepted an offer for a gorgeous $58 hot pink silk infinity scarf.  Huh.  Okay.  I didn't sneak in and steal someone's big arranged offer, so whatever.  Then I placed some random offers with that and flipped it to a beautiful paisley scarf of the same value.  Then I realized that it's wool (mildly allergic, and I have many, many scarves I hardly ever wear, so I need to stop collecting these things!) and accepted a trade for it that popped up:  Three jewelry items and value of more than $80.  One of them was a hideous ring.  Off to make more offers.  The hideous ring?  Is now a BH Cosmetics eyeshadow palette.  The other two items are nail wraps and polish.

And now the card case.  I started regretting it almost as soon as I got it.  I swapped it for one in a different color.  Whatever.  I just wasn't feeling it, and I was starting to think I should accept an offer to split it into a couple small things to try to flip to makeup.  Then this morning, another offer popped up:  A four-item swap worth over $100.  I refreshed a couple of times, and it was still there, so I grabbed it.  I haven't had a chance to really get into making offers with those items, but I think my chances of flipping them to makeup is fairly good, especially since I still have four and a half days to go.

So.  Current bag:

-- two NCLA nail polishes

-- two NCLA nail wraps

-- BH Cosmetics palette

-- $35 bracelet (I know this was the VIP gift last month, but that doesn't mean someone won't want to swap for it)

-- two $22 rings

-- $22 earrings

I'm concentrating on swapping the jewelry away, but I'm still comfortable with the progress I've made so far.  Especially since I've had a couple of swaps accepted that made me squint at the "Trade accepted" graphic and think, "Wait, *really*?  Okay…"

Holy cow! You are trade-mazing. I have my 3rd bag open right now and I am the absolute worst at trades. I usually go for the items I like regardless of the price, but I'm happy with what I have right now:

-Stephan & co red necklace (retail $28 and the item I picked out) this is going to be great for Christmas eve and Christmas.

-opened a bag and got the free candle, traded for Robert Rose Leaf Stone Drop earrings.

-my surprise item was Lemon black socks, which I traded for the white crochet socks. I think they were the same price, but I have tons of black and the white I can wear as boot socks if I roll them down a bit.

-They were out of stock on my last order, so they gave me a promo code for my next purchase to get a free item up to $50. I ended up with the blue/brown Betsey Johnson scarf. I LOVED the gold and white one, but it was only in one bag and I got denied. I don't love this scarf, mostly because of the colors. I'm trying to trade for any of the maroon scarves that are in open bags regardless of price difference.

So far I spent $26 and I'm at a value of $111. I think I'm doing pretty freaking good, but nowhere near as amazing as you!

My final bag:

1- ncLA Black Diamond Nail Polish 2- ncLA Cher's Closet Nail Wraps 3- ncLA Dead End Gorgeous Nail Polish 4- ncLA The Spa Comes To Me! Nail Polish 5- ncLA I Totally Paused! Nail Wraps 6- ncLA Fowl Play Nail Wraps 7- BH Cosmetics Party Girl Palette 8- ncLA Flash Fete Nail Wraps 9- CARGO Cosmetics Lip Gloss Quad 10- Volcanica Fleur De Lys Metallic Candle
Yeah, I love nail polish, and I'm on a nail wraps kick (I may end up not using the eyeshadow, but that's a whole separate issue unrelated to LBB or the palette itself).  So a value of...  $165-ish?  I'm not sure.  I paid just under $24 including shipping and started with a bag valued at about $115, so I didn't trade up to a huge value, but I'm good with the end result.  I didn't go up a huge amount in value considering that gift necklace, but those freebie things are usually hard to trade, so I'm still not sure how I managed to trade and split things the way I did (I mean, seriously?  A $100 four-item swap for a card case?  That hideous $24 ring for the $18 eyeshadow palette?  Ooookay).  I traded down for a few things, but I did *not* want to end up with certain items, so I was willing to trade quite a bit down and for something that someone received for free (the candle).  It made the value of my bag go down, but it saved me the trouble of sending it back for an exchange.  And today I got an alert that I used *all* of my data plan for the month on my phone (fortunately, it turns over tonight, and I spent most of my workday after that alert at our annual holiday luncheon, so I didn't have time to develop email/forum withdrawals!), and a huge chunk of it was due to trading, so I guess I was more active with that than I realized. 

Now I'm thinking that I might go ahead and keep my account open (I have a credit right now -- $11 -- due to not spending it all on this bag and then getting an additional credit because the system was down for maintenance longer than they had planned over the weekend), and then I'll just keep an eye on the special VIP promos for one that's particularly appealing.  Another big beauty multiple item promo like they did last year -- all of that Pixi! -- would be exactly what would get me back on board.  That was a really fun trading time.  Most of the VIP freebies are uninteresting to me, but every once in a while, they do come up with something good.  I just wish they had better items to open bags with.  Most of it is completely unappealing.  (I'm still kicking myself for not getting that _Alice in Wonderland_ poster, though.  I've coveted that thing for *years*.  Maybe not *that* one, but I've seen the concept done before, and I reallyreally want it.  I just didn't have the money when it was in the gallery.)

I won the bag giveaway a few days ago! I'm so excited. It just so happens that it was one of the only purses I wasn't in love with and a pair of Jules Smith lightning bolt earrings. I've already traded for two items I love so I think I'm going to hit "ship my bag" It's really cool that if you win you still get to trade until you get stuff you love.

Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I won the bag giveaway a few days ago! I'm so excited. It just so happens that it was one of the only purses I wasn't in love with and a pair of Jules Smith lightning bolt earrings. I've already traded for two items I love so I think I'm going to hit "ship my bag"

It's really cool that if you win you still get to trade until you get stuff you love.

That's awesome!!  Grats!

One of my friends posted a $15 gift card on my Facebook wall to LBB, so I pulled the trigger and opened a super cheap bag (like seriously SUPER cheap...a necklace and a pair of earrings).  It cost me $10 out of pocket with shipping.

Right now, I have this:  http://www.littleblackbag.com/product/details/90965/tan-elise-hope-libby-tote?utm_source=email&utm_medium=recipientConfirmation&utm_campaign=%7Bsymbol_campaign%7D

I'm actually all right with this.  If I can't trade it for something else that I love, I still know that I'd use this bag and, for $10, I can't complain.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am actually having fun with the site.  Trading isn't very quick, but I started with $10 and now I have a $145 RTV DL messenger bag.  It's working out for me so far.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@biskies I love that bag! The zippers and the gold on it are fierce!

My last bag I had some kind of jewelry and traded for a pair of almond Lemon crochet socks and they are EVERYTHING. I wear them under boots and the crochet part that sticks out is so fricking cute. I went back to the site today to get the black ones and they're sold out.

This is what they look like: http://keep.com/trendy-crochet-back-seam-high-knee-high-socks-from-lemon-legwear/x/mx77Z_AAra/

Totally disappointed about this 
icon_cry.gif

@biskies I love that bag! The zippers and the gold on it are fierce!

My last bag I had some kind of jewelry and traded for a pair of almond Lemon crochet socks and they are EVERYTHING. I wear them under boots and the crochet part that sticks out is so fricking cute. I went back to the site today to get the black ones and they're sold out.

This is what they look like: http://keep.com/trendy-crochet-back-seam-high-knee-high-socks-from-lemon-legwear/x/mx77Z_AAra/

Totally disappointed about this 
icon_cry.gif

Those socks are fantastic.

I actually have this bag now:

http://www.littleblackbag.com/product/details/89368/black-steve-madden-messenger

It's really cute, but I'm not sure how I feel about it really.  If I can find a decent trade, I'll definitely jump on it, but the bag is fairly nice.

Those socks are fantastic.

I actually have this bag now:

http://www.littleblackbag.com/product/details/89368/black-steve-madden-messenger

It's really cute, but I'm not sure how I feel about it really.  If I can find a decent trade, I'll definitely jump on it, but the bag is fairly nice.

I like that because it's a great every day purse. I usually buy the ones that are bright colors that match nothing in my closet, so a purse like that you can wear with anything. Super cute!

I like that because it's a great every day purse. I usually buy the ones that are bright colors that match nothing in my closet, so a purse like that you can wear with anything. Super cute!
Yeah, considering my initial investment was $10, I'm pretty happy with it!   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I may be a moron, but I'm so confused! I bought a bag and did the VIP thing. Yet there is only one item in my bag. I thought you got one or two bonus items to trade with/keep? 

Quote: Originally Posted by xolalaox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I may be a moron, but I'm so confused! I bought a bag and did the VIP thing. Yet there is only one item in my bag. I thought you got one or two bonus items to trade with/keep? 
There are two different options:  Bundles (usually two- or three-item bundles) and single items.  A bundle will have the additional items, but a single-item purchase is just that:  The single item and no additional items to swap.  If you picked the bundle and only received the single item, there's something wrong, and you will need to contact customer service.  I'm not sure what they will do, though.  If you picked the single item but meant to get a bundle, they may be able to cancel it so you can start over with a bundle.

There are two different options:  Bundles (usually two- or three-item bundles) and single items.  A bundle will have the additional items, but a single-item purchase is just that:  The single item and no additional items to swap.  If you picked the bundle and only received the single item, there's something wrong, and you will need to contact customer service.  I'm not sure what they will do, though.  If you picked the single item but meant to get a bundle, they may be able to cancel it so you can start over with a bundle.
Awesome, thanks! All fixed, it was an error on my part. Clearly all the Christmas cookies are damaging my brain :rolleyes: I'm amazed at how much stuff some people have in their bags! Wow.

Back