POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the mirabella in pixie. It looks so orange in the tube but it's SO sheer I had to cake it on for a color. Which I actually thought was neat because I have nothing like that! But I feel bad for those who swapped it thinking it was too bright. It's like Chapstick cheer and a very light coral. I really like it. My pop replacement smells strongly of cinnamon and gas. Was cinnamon an ingredient? I'm going to look over the thread to see. I'm actually allergic to cinnamon

I got the mirabella in pixie. It looks so orange in the tube but it's SO sheer I had to cake it on for a color. Which I actually thought was neat because I have nothing like that! But I feel bad for those who swapped it thinking it was too bright. It's like Chapstick cheer and a very light coral. I really like it. My pop replacement smells strongly of cinnamon and gas. Was cinnamon an ingredient? I'm going to look over the thread to see. I'm actually allergic to cinnamon
I loved my mirabella pixie! It looked really scary when I opened it, but I took the plunge and tried it anyways. Gorgeous color! Especially for spring and summer.

Quote: Originally Posted by bluturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   I went ahead and canceled Ipsy last month after the fiasco. This isn't the first issue I've had with having to deal with customer service and being made to feel like I was infringing on their quiet time trying to get answers (lost bag, crushed makeup, burning lip gloss--in 7 months of subscription).
I also canceled my subscription. Ipsy's customer service is poor. The way issues are handled is unprofessional, rude and patronizing. I will happily take my 120.00 a year to another company. I am on a fixed income as I receive disability. I don't have the constitution or funds to deal with this sort of nonsense. It's supposed to be fun. When it's no longer fun I quit! 
icon_sad.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would LOVE to know what went wrong and would await your results with bated breath. What kind of tests could you run? Do you have access to GC/MS equipment? I never heard back from the independent lab I contacted for a price quote.
I do have access to GC-MS but I have to check and see if I can use it for this.  There are strict rules about experiments outside my research so it would have to be approved.  I was thinking of extracting the gloss with an organic solvent and then running the extract on GC-MS.  I don't know if it would give any meaningful results since I don't know what I'm looking for.  I doubt the chemical causing this smell is one they meant to have in the product so it wouldn't be on the ingredients list.  I think it is just the scientist in me that doesn't want to let it go.  I take steps to keep myself safe from chemical exposure at work so it pisses me off when I have to worry about exposure through something that should be food safe since it is going on my lips.  

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I do have access to GC-MS but I have to check and see if I can use it for this.  There are strict rules about experiments outside my research so it would have to be approved.  I was thinking of extracting the gloss with an organic solvent and then running the extract on GC-MS.  I don't know if it would give any meaningful results since I don't know what I'm looking for.  I doubt the chemical causing this smell is one they meant to have in the product so it wouldn't be on the ingredients list.  I think it is just the scientist in me that doesn't want to let it go.  I take steps to keep myself safe from chemical exposure at work so it pisses me off when I have to worry about exposure through something that should be food safe since it is going on my lips.  

If you could find a mini that hasn't skunked (this may be a tall order, but I have't unwrapped my replacement yet, so there's a chance it's OK), it might be interesting to extract both an un-skunked and skunked version and compare the extracts against each other on GC/MS and look for peaks that appear in the skunked version that aren't present in the un-skunked sample. As mine was fine at first, I'm wondering if an ingredient started oxidizing after I opened it. You might even be able to tell a difference between a mildly skunked and very skunked sample, or at least enough of a difference to have a better idea of what you're looking for. Argh, why do all the cool toys have to be so expensive?

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I loved my mirabella pixie! It looked really scary when I opened it, but I took the plunge and tried it anyways. Gorgeous color! Especially for spring and summer.

I received the Mirabella pixie too (and it's what they said they were sending), my first comment on opening it was, "Wow!  That's bright".  I tried it on anyways, and it goes on really sheer, so the color isn't too powerful.

I received the Mirabella pixie too (and it's what they said they were sending), my first comment on opening it was, "Wow!  That's bright".  I tried it on anyways, and it goes on really sheer, so the color isn't too powerful.
My thoughts exactly! The color was actually very pretty when it was applied. It brightened up my lips without looking super bright and unnatural.

If you could find a mini that hasn't skunked (this may be a tall order, but I have't unwrapped my replacement yet, so there's a chance it's OK), it might be interesting to extract both an un-skunked and skunked version and compare the extracts against each other on GC/MS and look for peaks that appear in the skunked version that aren't present in the un-skunked sample. As mine was fine at first, I'm wondering if an ingredient started oxidizing after I opened it. You might even be able to tell a difference between a mildly skunked and very skunked sample, or at least enough of a difference to have a better idea of what you're looking for. Argh, why do all the cool toys have to be so expensive?
I had the same thought about something oxidizing or degrading to cause the scent.  Mine smelled like vanilla when I first used it but then went to the gasoline/burnt rubber smell.  I wish I had my own equipment, lol.  

For those that were afraid the Mirabella Pixie would be too bright.  It's sheer enough that I can barely see it on my lips.

Quote: Originally Posted by springerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My thoughts exactly. Are they going to post the results on Facebook, or send them to Ipsy to let their subscribers know the findings? They handled this very poorly. I would've been much happier if when they first realized there was an issue they told everyone what was going on and to not use the product.

My biggest questions are - WHO is testing the product? How can we trust their analysis? 

Quote: Originally Posted by LadyK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i watch too many movies because all i can think of is someone from pop reading this and all the sudden your being followed home by a suspicious vehicle that's parks outside of your house and work waiting to run you off the road and steal your test results ( a la silkwood ) but I'm probably the only one her old enough to remember that movie lol

i watch too many movies because all i can think of is someone from pop reading this and all the sudden your being followed home by a suspicious vehicle that's parks outside of your house and work waiting to run you off the road and steal your test results ( a la silkwood ) but I'm probably the only one her old enough to remember that movie lol
OMG I watched that in a class in high school!!! Lmao. Good god. Ha. At least if anything suspicious were to happen, we have written proof on here what probably happened. :p

My lip gloss hasn't quite "skunked" yet, but it does seem to be slowly getting worse. When I first got it, it had absolutely no scent at all. I was careful to check. But then when this kerfuffle all began, I went back and checked again, and I thought it had a slight scent. Not awful and barely noticeable unless I stuck my nose right up to it, but it certainly was new. But I thought maybe I was just suggestible and was smelling something because everyone on the forums said they had. And then I checked again a week or so later and the scent was more noticeable, but it still not bad. It could easily have been just a strong lip gloss scent.

And then I checked a few minutes ago and now it's pretty strong, but it's not quite skunked. Who knows how that may change in the next few days though. So weird.

I received my replacement for my pop gloss today from Ipsy.  Instead of sending the Mirabelle Pixie lipstick they sent a J Cat in Honeycrisp.  What a gosh awful color and such a disappointment on top of the first disappointment of getting a stinky gloss.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jen51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I received my replacement for my pop gloss today from Ipsy.  Instead of sending the Mirabelle Pixie lipstick they sent a J Cat in Honeycrisp.  What a gosh awful color and such a disappointment on top of the first disappointment of getting a stinky gloss.
I got that whenever it was in the bags - ugh I hated it too. It's terrible.

I wear it with the Starlooks Tickle Me Pink lip liner underneath and it looks great. Try a pink liner and a pink gloss over it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got my replacement gloss from Ipsy and mine is also not the Mirabella in Pixie that the tracking info said it would be but instead Mirabella in Bellarina. Weird spelling of it aside I think Bellarina is a better color for me anyway. I'm curious to see what I get in my other account, which also has Pixie listed.

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG I watched that in a class in high school!!! Lmao. Good god. Ha. At least if anything suspicious were to happen, we have written proof on here what probably happened. :p
LOL. I'll have to watch out for perfectly made up beauty thugs.  

Quote: Originally Posted by sweetharlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I got my replacement gloss from Ipsy and mine is also not the Mirabella in Pixie that the tracking info said it would be but instead Mirabella in Bellarina. Weird spelling of it aside I think Bellarina is a better color for me anyway. I'm curious to see what I get in my other account, which also has Pixie listed.

Me toooo. I hate it though. Color is so sheer and glittery.

Back