Quarterly.co Subscriptions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*cough*  I know I made this for other boxes but Nina Garcia just spilled some beans.  She picked an item and its value is $100 and they sell it at NetaPorter.
Thanks for sharing - am super excited! I am also subscribed to Rachel Yeoman, Hitha on the Go and 1000 Places…I will try and post pictures when I receive those boxes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Is anybody signed up for the Bill Nye The Science Guy box? I love him and I'm curious to know what's in the box!

EDIT: I just bit the bullet and signed up for the Nina Garcia box. It sounds amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I caved and  signed up for 3- Nina Garcia, 1001 places (such a sucker for Paris) and Rachel Yeomans. I am pretty confident in Nina Garcia's but really praying the other 2 don't suck.  Honestly, a lot of their boxes, I click on the past one and am like 'seriously? someone is willing to pay 50 bucks for that?'

I totally agree with @@tulosai about looking at some of the boxes and wondering about paying $50 for them. I mean, if you subscribe to boxes, you accept a certain variation in quality. Some boxes are awesome, some are stinkers. But there seems to be a significant amount of variation between some of the Quarterly boxes, like there are stinkers and then there's just junk. Right now, I'm looking at trying out Food52. I don't have any other boxes like that and they look to be fairly consistent, so I may take the plunge this weekend.

I definitely agree that some are just...  a waste.  I'm hoping that Rachel Yeomans will be good because of her connections and I think it will be.  

But, yeah.  You definitely have to watch out for the crappy ones.  They are definitely there.

I read a review for Bill Nyes and it was only worth $25.  It had cool things in it but not $50 worth of items :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just got my first Food52 box and I really like it.  It isn't high dollar value (but more than the $50 it cost), but the items are lovely.

I just signed up for Book Riot, 1000 Places, Rachel Yeomans, and Bekka Palmer on top of Nina Garcia. I'm a little nervous about RY and BP. I just don't know what to expect, even though I researched them. I keep hovering over the cancel button. 

Quarterly is sort of the bain of my wallets existence. I'm up to 5. Rachel Yeomans, both book riot, 1000 places and quarterly's travel and adventure. The last should be here soon. Though I'm sure it will be awful after the last two would have been super useful. 

I've been thinking about the 1000 places... but fear we will get a calendar in there.  I dont need a calendar as I have been there and have my own photos (and just dont need a calendar).  That's about $13 of the value (not much) but wouldnt use it.

Edit: for some reason, I thought she had a calendar. Maybe it's her publication that has one.  Anyways... just thinking about what would be in there?

I've been thinking about the 1000 places... but fear we will get a calendar in there.  I dont need a calendar as I have been there and have my own photos (and just dont need a calendar).  That's about $13 of the value (not much) but wouldnt use it.

Edit: for some reason, I thought she had a calendar. Maybe it's her publication that has one.  Anyways... just thinking about what would be in there?
I doubt they'll include a calendar mid-year. That wouldn't be very prudent of them. 

I definitely agree that some are just...  a waste.  I'm hoping that Rachel Yeomans will be good because of her connections and I think it will be.  

But, yeah.  You definitely have to watch out for the crappy ones.  They are definitely there.

I read a review for Bill Nyes and it was only worth $25.  It had cool things in it but not $50 worth of items :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That was my impression of the Bill Nye box too. Not something I would pay $50 for but certainly it would be fun for a teenager interested in science. 

Tina Roth Eisenberg was definitely my worst Quarterly experience. I should've guessed from her previous boxes but since some of them were amazing I just didn't know what to expect.  

I just got my first Food52 box and I really like it.  It isn't high dollar value (but more than the $50 it cost), but the items are lovely.
That's what I like about Quarterly boxes - they actually seem nicely curated even if you're not generally getting a huge return on your investment. Even boxes I dislike are a matter of personal preference since the curator letters are sincere and it's clear that they seemed to put effort into their decisions. The curator letters are one thing I didn't know about before I started my Quarterly subs since they're usually not emphasized in the online reviews, but every one I've seen is nicely written and thoroughly explains the items that the box contains. 

That was my impression of the Bill Nye box too. Not something I would pay $50 for but certainly it would be fun for a teenager interested in science. 

Tina Roth Eisenberg was definitely my worst Quarterly experience. I should've guessed from her previous boxes but since some of them were amazing I just didn't know what to expect.  
And to elaborate on the latter - I actually really liked the letter she included and reading it did explain why I suddenly owned a megaphone. It didn't make up for the fact that I had no use for a megaphone and it would just collect dust but I did appreciate her reasoning. In that case it was definitely a matter of completely opposite personalities.   

Thanks for sharing - am super excited! I am also subscribed to Rachel Yeoman, Hitha on the Go and 1000 Places…I will try and post pictures when I receive those boxes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm excited to see what you get in your Hitha on the Go box.  I have a strong feeling that I know one of the items but I wont say in case someone wants to be surprised (it's from piecing together 2 of her blog posts).  The one item is valued around $63 if I recall correctly.  Think she said her box would be worth $100.  Please do share when you get it.

Does anyone know what kind of shipping service Quarterly uses? Supposedly they shipped mine on 5/7, but I didn't receive any kind of tracking. I think I saw a USPS postage label on boxes on some blogs. Do they use smartpost? (I'm hoping it's faster than that!) Thanks!

Does anyone know what kind of shipping service Quarterly uses? Supposedly they shipped mine on 5/7, but I didn't receive any kind of tracking. I think I saw a USPS postage label on boxes on some blogs. Do they use smartpost? (I'm hoping it's faster than that!) Thanks!
They ship via USPS.

You get the invoice and the website status says "Shipped" but you won't receive the actual shipment email with tracking for another week. Which box are you waiting on? Is it Hitha on the Go? I got my invoice on the 7th as well but haven't received tracking yet either. 

They ship via USPS.

You get the invoice and the website status says "Shipped" but you won't receive the actual shipment email with tracking for another week. Which box are you waiting on? Is it Hitha on the Go? I got my invoice on the 7th as well but haven't received tracking yet either. 
Thanks for the info! I read somewhere that Quarterly only bills once they ship, but I thought it was odd I never got shipping info and  my account still says "ready" under status, not "shipped". I ordered the Kalani one. It's all about personal wellness and growth, yoga, and Hawaiian culture. It sounds soothing. Let's hope! I was going to get the Hiltha box, but she said it was focused on shoes on her blog, and that doesn't do much for me. I'm not a shoe gal.

Thanks for the info! I read somewhere that Quarterly only bills once they ship, but I thought it was odd I never got shipping info and  my account still says "ready" under status, not "shipped". I ordered the Kalani one. It's all about personal wellness and growth, yoga, and Hawaiian culture. It sounds soothing. Let's hope! I was going to get the Hiltha box, but she said it was focused on shoes on her blog, and that doesn't do much for me. I'm not a shoe gal.
I think their definition of "Shipped" is something like "We've sent your order on to the warehouse for packaging and shipment". It doesn't actually mean "This has been delivered to the USPS" because there's always a week delay between getting the invoice and getting tracking. 

You'll have to say how the Kalani one is! 

Back